What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Yep,Techno. those parts where epic. I laughed so much at the nudist beach combiner :lol:

I watched the first episode of 'The Pilots Love Song' last night, not bad. aerial fights are cool and the show has some likable characters. has potential,i'll stick with it for now.

Yesterday I decided to take on Trinity Blood and just got to episode 8. Lackluster music and slow pacing aside this series is quite entertaining, I look forward to what becomes of it. Hell, it might even be better than Hellsing. Kind of weird that the novels are aimed for adult men while the manga are aimed for girls under 18, are seinin and shojo really that similar? I also have no idea why people hate Gonzo, aside from Vandread and to a degree Linebarrels of Iron their stuff is pretty good.

I'm watching Nadia: The Secret Of Blue Water, and as much as I'm enjoying it Nadia is really getting on my nerves. She complains about everything, isn't very endearing, and spends most of her time calling everyone a murder. I don't mind her being a vegitarian, but to flip out at Nemo for shooting a wounded neo atlantian soldier who had already got one shot off at them just pisses me off. Its not like the soldier was unarmed or surrendering, he was actively trying to kill them.

Other than that its been a rather enjoyable adventure series.

I'm watching Nadia: The Secret Of Blue Water, and as much as I'm enjoying it Nadia is really getting on my nerves. She complains about everything, isn't very endearing, and spends most of her time calling everyone a murder. I don't mind her being a vegitarian, but to flip out at Nemo for shooting a wounded neo atlantian soldier who had already got one shot off at them just pisses me off. Its not like the soldier was unarmed or surrendering, he was actively trying to kill them.

Other than that its been a rather enjoyable adventure series.

Nadia is a very good watch indeed . Just don't get too discouraged when you get to the infamous Island/Africa arc (eps 23 to 34), things will get right back on track once that arc is over

Nadia is a very good watch indeed . Just don't get too discouraged when you get to the infamous Island/Africa arc (eps 23 to 34), things will get right back on track once that arc is over

I just finished the series, and there is no sugar coating it the mysterious island/africa arc was painful to watch and just god awful. I think next time I watch it I'm just going to skip those episodes. Once the series finally got underway properly again it really hit a high mark. Nadia actually became less of a b**** and started actually developing as a character, in the end I kind of pity her given all that she went through.

One thing that surprised me about this series was the massive amount of references and tributes to other scifi and anime in it. Sure you have the obvious stuff like several of Jules Verne's works, but then you have things from Yamato, Macross(captain...Global/Gloval I presume?), Gunbuster, and even the puppet show Thunderbirds. I can also see little bits in this show that laid the groundwork for Evangelion their next show.

Still I have to wonder WTF goes on over at Gainax. It seems like they are great at creating concepts and great starts to shows, but then they all have that moment where they go off the deep end and into screwball territory. Sometimes they recover like Nadia other times they leave your screaming at the tv and giving it the finger, like Eva or the more recent Medaka Box Abnormal.

About Medaka Box Abnormal...

so the second to last episode's final 2 minutes involves the main crew exiting an elevator to find half the cast of the show literally screwed to death. And by screwed I mean crucfied to the walls and evicserated by giant screws, while some guy we've never seen before claiming he didn't do it before clenching his fist and charging the main cast screaming something about fiction.

The start of the next episode introduces another character who claims to be behind the entire over arching conspiracy plot of the series, and she says that here's the end of the show with a completely random side story that has nothing at all to do with the previous 2 seasons outside of mr screw we see at the very end of the previous episode fighting some dude that controls colors. He robs the world of colors and the series fades to white the end.

For those that didn't read the spoiler. F*** Medaka Box Abnormal's end, and F*** Gainax for the usual B.S.

Now on to A Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

Edited by renegadeleader1

I watched eps 9 and 10 of Trinity Blood Sunday, but aside from side characters not being interesting not much to add so I'll instead talk about a one shot OVA I watched that night called Root Search: Life Devourer X. This is one of the top 15 worst anime according to MAL and.... It was actually decent. Yeah the ending was dumb, but art style wise and atmospheric music compensated it. I cannot tell if it was trying to rip off Alien, The Thing, or Stephen King's It (all three perhaps?). So yeah, it is an under rated classic much like Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Nadia wasn't Gainax's fault, NHK demande a longer run, and Anno told them to get bent, and walked out. Medaka Box wasn't finished yet, so instead of writing an anike verion ending, they decided to stop snd wait for the light novels to finish. But if you think yhat character hafn't been seen before, then you weren't paying attention to the backstory.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i just brought hellsing ultimate on bluray+dvd set. (amazon had vol 2 for 13 bucks.)

i've seen classic and liked it so looking forward to watching this.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I tried to watch Muv-Luv Alternative about a month ago, it started out really well, it was crazy and dark, but after only a small handful of episodes it turned to crap. I like the designs, Tactical Surface Fighters are cool, I just think the anime was wasted, it pulled the rug out from under my feet, it seemed it was going one direction, them BOOM, it turns into a predictable love story that didn't even really have anything to do with the actual war with the Beta. I may have to finally start Black Lagoon, if anything just to get people to stop asking me if I've seen any of it, and to stop people from recommending it every 5 seconds, I've unfortunately had like the entire first season spoiled, which sucks, but I totally told that same person exactly what will happen in the coming season of Game of Thrones, so revenge was sweet.

I just finished watching A Woman Called Fujiko Mine, and it was pretty good. I'm very impressed by the retro style of the animation. The cast was interesting with a different more hard boiled film noir take on all the familiar characters. The plot itself does get a bit trippy at times almost to the point of making me wonder if the entire series was just a drug induced hallucination of one of the characters, but in the end everything pretty much made sense.

I'm really left with just one question...

What happened to Lt. Oscar in the end? I know his obsessions with Fujiko and Zenigata drove him nuts to the point where he gets manipulated by the drug cartel into doing their bidding, but the last we see of him is jumping from a truck as it slams into Owl land castle and blowing up then holding his head and screaming. Every other character got a epilogue showing what they were doing, but him. The only nod to him may be the badge Zenigata was holding up to the sky. I'm guessing we are to take it that he just disappeared somewhere to return later?

I just finished watching A Woman Called Fujiko Mine, and it was pretty good. I'm very impressed by the retro style of the animation. The cast was interesting with a different more hard boiled film noir take on all the familiar characters. The plot itself does get a bit trippy at times almost to the point of making me wonder if the entire series was just a drug induced hallucination of one of the characters, but in the end everything pretty much made sense.

I'm really left with just one question...

What happened to Lt. Oscar in the end? I know his obsessions with Fujiko and Zenigata drove him nuts to the point where he gets manipulated by the drug cartel into doing their bidding, but the last we see of him is jumping from a truck as it slams into Owl land castle and blowing up then holding his head and screaming. Every other character got a epilogue showing what they were doing, but him. The only nod to him may be the badge Zenigata was holding up to the sky. I'm guessing we are to take it that he just disappeared somewhere to return later?

We have no further sightings from him so I suppose he just disappeared

Knights of Sidonia

This is going to be good! Manga is insane, reminded me of Attack the titan

Captain Earth!

Yup, I'm looking forward to those 2 the most, Brynhildr in Darkness (same mangaka who did Elfen Lied) as well as JoJo Season 2 which Crunchyroll has just announced they will stream worldwide (I'm watching the first season of JOJO and I must say it's FABULOOUUUSS) . And I'm hoping for a hidden gem amongst the other series of the season. Maybe Mangaka-san?

You're right. We get no info on what happened to him so maybe there's a chance of him returning if there is a sequel (I doubt that though)

Edited by Marzan

Yesterday I took on Dream Hunter Rem and today the two episode sequel series because they were supposed classics and short. Wow this OVA series was dumb. Ignoring the fact the first episode was a hentai (why? of course I did watch the edited version of said episode):

-The main heroine has a gun and never uses it most of the time (instead lets fight with swords!)

-The talking scenes have ludicrously slow pacing

-Said main heroine ALWAYS NEEDS HELP, she is borderline unreliable

-Spinal columns do NOT LOOK LIKE INTESTINES (did the animators know what the hell certain body parts were colored?)

-Don't you love it when a samurai spirit has a bunch of arrows on his back without a bow to fire them?

-Animation errors (ribs of skeletal monsters increase by four times or disappear, driver's seats of cars flip places)

-Inconsistent logic (this series cannot make up its mind whether or not death in the dream world is possible and Rem can use her powers in the real world for no friggin reason)

-Stupid bad guys (why do you need a Frankenstein knockoff when your carriage is invulnerable and fires spirit dragons? Why squish your boss's head when she accidentally knife's your skull in?)

-Gigantic gaps in logic (why the hell would a clock tower turn into a robot? It isn't even like it was hinted or anything. Nobody gets arrested for willingly locking people away as they starve to death. Humans do not mummify in two weeks nor are they so brittle that the are reduced to dust that fast. Instead of simply putting a bomb in a harbor lets steal a model RC plane and then shoot at it!)

-And the main heroine is quite a baddie herself (causing permanent damage to someone's eye just for peeping, buying illegal weapons and smuggling them back in her country)

Too much stupid junk surrounding this franchise and yet SOMEHOW this is more remembered than Dimensional Hunter Fandora, a great OVA series with a similar title, came out the same year, was made by Go Nagai, had a cool heroine, and was fun as hell. I don't get why some awesome anime are forgotten while junk ones are free to grace the memory of fans. Ugh. I will give DHR some points for reducing their ecchi junk early on, they have some decent music, and Rem's pets are pretty adorable as hell.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Watched the end of Samurai Flamenco... What a wierd ride that was.

One of the strangest productions I've ever seen.

From the moment Guillotine Gorilla showed up all the way to the end, every twist was weirder than the rest

If it had been just a straight Sentai parody I think it might have been more popular, but it tried to span several genre's too hard.

One of the strangest productions I've ever seen.

From the moment Guillotine Gorilla showed up all the way to the end, every twist was weirder than the rest

If it had been just a straight Sentai parody I think it might have been more popular, but it tried to span several genre's too hard.

It was more the "You wished for this" copout that bugged me. Definitely a spastic story!

Guest davidwhangchoi

as well as JoJo Season 2 which Crunchyroll has just announced they will stream worldwide (I'm watching the first season of JOJO and I must say it's FABULOOUUUSS) . And I'm hoping for a hidden gem amongst the other series of the season.

does everyone watch jojo on crunchyroll? i looked into buying the bluray's but they are so expensive.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

does everyone watch jojo on crunchyroll? i looked into buying the bluray's but they are so expensive.

I was lent the JoJo BD's that are indeed very expensive since they're Japanese. But now that CR has released "Bizarre Adventures" as well as "Stardust Crusaders" I'm hoping for someone to release it Stateside.

Anyone caught the first ep of 'Captain Earth'? Reminded me a lot of Eureka Seven AO (same studio and a lot of the same people on it). I hope it has better plot though. The first episode was decent enough.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I was lent the JoJo BD's that are indeed very expensive since they're Japanese. But now that CR has released "Bizarre Adventures" as well as "Stardust Crusaders" I'm hoping for someone to release it Stateside.

wow you have some rich friends. i hope it releases stateside too! i want a BD set. anyways thanks for mentioning it's on crunchyroll

After marathoning the last third today I just finished Trinity Blood. The pacing was incredibly sluggish, but everything else was good: Twists they were solid and made sense, great action, characters that were neat and none being annoying, well done art style, and the music has grown on me. The ending was also nowhere NEAR as bad or cliffhangery as people say it was. If the side characters were better and Cain was built up better this would have easily been better than the Vampire Hunter D movies, perhaps even the best vampire anime to date, but oh well. It did prove better than Hellsing. Also for some reason Esther reminds me of Kallen from Code Geass except not obnoxious or even bad. Come to think of it the character and costume designs remind me of Code Geass, did the creators rip Trinity Blood off? (that would explain a little)

Guest davidwhangchoi

just finished watching 3 episodes of jojo season 1 on crunchyroll. (thanks Marzan) it's feel like i'm reading the manga, i miss the original ova's style drawings, but it's pretty good. i like it. dio is as bad as ever.

just finished watching 3 episodes of jojo season 1 on crunchyroll. (thanks Marzan) it's feel like i'm reading the manga, i miss the original ova's style drawings, but it's pretty good. i like it. dio is as bad as ever.

Whenever I see JoJo I can imagine the voice actors having a blast playing their roles. The delivery of the dialogue is so over the top, specially Dio and Speedwagon. Love it.

So far I'm not liking Stardust Crusaders as much as I did Bizarre Adventures, but anyone who's read the manga told me that it's even better, so I'm hoping for improvement soon.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i just brought the classic mospeada series. (only seen robotech verision) i'm on episode two. holy cow... Mint's voice is..... i can't describe it.... but it's really high pitched. i wanted to throw a cat at the screen.

Coffin Princess Chaika is what I'm looking forward to. Same original creator, studio, and director as Scrapped Princess.

Saw the first episode reluctantly after reading the premise and was pleasantly surprised. The story is pretty decent, the MC is not your typical beta harem guy and how often do you get so see a

unicorn blown up like that in any medium?

My biggest heartbreak this season is that Knights of Sidonia isn't being streamed anywhere so I'll have to wait till the summer when Netflix is going to carry it worldwide (or so they say).