What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

A great show with some intense moments.

I'm looking forward to the second season and the movie.

Me too. I cannot wait.

BTW, the American BD is coming out next week. There's also a special edition coming out that includes the 2 soundtracks among other things.

Me too. I cannot wait.

BTW, the American BD is coming out next week. There's also a special edition coming out that includes the 2 soundtracks among other things.

Yup, it's a oretty nice set, and how I'm currently watching.

Today I had nothing else to do so I marathoned Samurai Flamenco in its entirety, all 18 eps that aired. This is the first time I have watched 18 episodes of ANYTHING in a single day. Valvrave drawback finally started to wean, allowing me to finally ease into airing stuff, plus I didn't feel like taking on GTO. Now for the actual anime: THIS IS FRIGGIN AWESOME, THEY PARODY TOKU IN AN AWESOME MANNER, THEY PACE PROPERLY AND HAVE GOOD COMEDY, THE ACTION IS GREAT THERE ARE MANY TWISTS! Only thing bad about it is the music. Anime of the year? Why yes, yes it is, even better than Gargantia. Well okay, Build Fighters is better, but still.

Robot Girls Z ended and I watched the last ep this morning. It was very short, but enjoyable, even if they should have cut down on ecchi junk. Then there is Kill la Kill. UGH ONCE MORE.

It is a shame, I do think that the writing has improved and gotten better, but is nullified by how choppy the animation is. THEN THERE WAS THE END OF THIS WEEK'S EPISODE. No. I do not buy it. I barely bought life fibers having shape shifting properties, but now they can go into someone's memories AND someone else with them BY GOING INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S BODY? No, hell no, f**k no, s**t no, nope nope nope NOPE. Oh and no AGAIN. You cannot justify it by being that blunt with it unless Ryuko's body has dimensional or spatial properties, which was never demonstrated or spoken about. Clearly Trigger believes its audience is stupid.

Freezing Vibration (2nd season of Freezing)

Score: 5/10

Why: Not to be harsh, but this second season of Freezing is all over the place with a weak story. The 1st season was awesome with Satellizer learning to fight and gain important friendships through all those vicious battles with her own classmates and the multi-dimension Nova aliens. She was like Clare in Claymore. But this 2nd season gets nowhere with illegal human experiments and conspiracy behind Alaska Genetic Laboratory. It doesn't explain what these Novas, even though some hints were given. This whole season was a side story at best and not worthy of it's own 12 episodes. <_<

Kill la Kill. Latest episode is non stop insane Ryuuko action.

Samurai Flamenco. Boring character building episode but what do you expect after last episode?

Starblazers 2199. My bluray has arrived! Time to watch this again!

Kill la Kill is going to be a must buy BD for me when it comes. This last episode confirmed that.

Robot Girls Z ended and I watched the last ep this morning. It was very short, but enjoyable, even if they should have cut down on ecchi junk. Then there is Kill la Kill. UGH ONCE MORE.

It is a shame, I do think that the writing has improved and gotten better, but is nullified by how choppy the animation is. THEN THERE WAS THE END OF THIS WEEK'S EPISODE. No. I do not buy it. I barely bought life fibers having shape shifting properties, but now they can go into someone's memories AND someone else with them BY GOING INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S BODY? No, hell no, f**k no, s**t no, nope nope nope NOPE. Oh and no AGAIN. You cannot justify it by being that blunt with it unless Ryuko's body has dimensional or spatial properties, which was never demonstrated or spoken about. Clearly Trigger believes its audience is stupid.

hahahah

Man someone else could not make golden comments like this even if they were trying!

Edited by karmajay

Today I marathoned through some magic girl anime called Magikano because I had nothing better to do. So THIS is where that anime gif of a guy getting his balls stomped on came from. Anyway, it blew chunks. The characters range from being either obnoxious or kind of likeable on a frequent basis (provided they are not background character), the final battle was not much of anything (and barely built up), a lot of the jokes were poorly written (mainly when it gets too fanservicy), the main basis at the beginning being sort of just dropped after episode 4, waaaaaay too many incest jokes, and the main nail in the coffin that killed it was THE ENDING. HOLY MOTHER OF F**K, they went with a "restart time back a year and go in a loop" ending? WHY? THAT IS STUPID! The saddest part is that like Chobits there is actually good parts here: Some of the comedy is ACTUALLY VERY FUNNY, none of the characters are genuinely bad when done well, there was some decent action, and the music was decent. Easily the best character was Yuri, like Shizuka from Kampfer she is actually decent all around and bothers using her brain, but the series itself drags down her full potential. Strangely enough this series did remind me of Kampfer to some degree, maybe because it is a harem, but oh well.

Just finished Guilty Crown. I've only read mixed reviews of it, but I really like it. The ending was one of the few ones that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Nice plot twist at the end.

Been watching Space Dandy, too. Loving every second of its zany retro craziness.

Next up, BTOOOM!

So this evening I decided to take on an anime that started airing this year and five eps in now I decided to take on Witch Craft Works. I was expecting a generically bad magic girl anime, but instead.... I got something.... Quite good! No, really, not trying to be snarky or anything, a magical girl anime that is SOLID. Not even "well it got better" solid, but FROM THE START solid. The only anime of this genre I encountered to be like this is Pretear (Cutey Honey does not count because Go Nagai is the exception to many anime rules out there) and for the first time (not counting CH: Flash) I found an anime of this genre with A GOOD FIRST EPISODE. GOOD FIRST EPISODE. Good first episodes are like finding a needle in a haystack, they are just rare. Now for actual thoughts:

-Animation and art are good

-Nobody in the cast is obnoxious

-The action is somewhat good

-There is amusing comedy

-The music is decent (the ending reminds me of 80s pop for some reason)

-HOLY MOTHER OF FUDGE NO FANSERVICE! The main heroine has G cup.... And nothing! No ecchi antics! No awkward moments! No perviness or slip ups that makes the girl smack the boy! I approve! Okay they do have a close up of some maid's bounce features for five seconds.... And that is it!

-Robot rabbit soldiers, so friggin adorable, what is better?

-A giant robot rabbit fighting a giant teddy bear!

So lets count negatives:

-The main character is kind of a wimp- Actually he does have a heart so it is passable-ish

-The setting is not explored that well

....... And that is it! I might end up liking this series! Hell I already have hopes for this! This calls for fitting music!

Edited by DuelGundam2099

So this evening I decided to take on an anime that started airing this year and five eps in now I decided to take on Witch Craft Works. I was expecting a generically bad magic girl anime, but instead.... I got something.... Quite good! No, really, not trying to be snarky or anything, a magical girl anime that is SOLID. Not even "well it got better" solid, but FROM THE START solid. The only anime of this genre I encountered to be like this is Pretear (Cutey Honey does not count because Go Nagai is the exception to many anime rules out there) and for the first time (not counting CH: Flash) I found an anime of this genre with A GOOD FIRST EPISODE. GOOD FIRST EPISODE. Good first episodes are like finding a needle in a haystack, they are just rare. Now for actual thoughts:

-Animation and art are good

-Nobody in the cast is obnoxious

-The action is somewhat good

-There is amusing comedy

-The music is decent (the ending reminds me of 80s pop for some reason)

-HOLY MOTHER OF FUDGE NO FANSERVICE! The main heroine has G cup.... And nothing! No ecchi antics! No awkward moments! No perviness or slip ups that makes the girl smack the boy! I approve! Okay they do have a close up of some maid's bounce features for five seconds.... And that is it!

-Robot rabbit soldiers, so friggin adorable, what is better?

-A giant robot rabbit fighting a giant teddy bear!

So lets count negatives:

-The main character is kind of a wimp- Actually he does have a heart so it is passable-ish

-The setting is not explored that well

....... And that is it! I might end up liking this series! Hell I already have hopes for this!

I'm also watching this and, surprisingly, I agree with you on pretty much everything you said. Saw the character designs in the intro and thought it was going to be fairly ecchi. That has not been the case. I also can only think of the one instance of fan-service and that was the ice-witch character you mentioned in (I think) the second episode. There have been so many opportunities for the insertion of fan service, but it always gets toned down. You occasionally see some cleavage in a couple of "fantasy" situations that Takamiya dreams up, but there was even one where he was dreaming about being on the beach with Kagari and she was wearing a one-piece swimsuit! I was floored.

Kagari is difficult to explain. She's never shows emotion and acts so much like a robot, but you still can sense a warm, caring personality. She's completely devoted and loyal; one of the flashback scenes in the newer episodes sort of explains why she seems to be attached to Takamiya. As for him, I agree that he's too much of a wimp and I complained about this a few weeks ago when I talked about this show on this thread. He keeps showing signs of a backbone and then fails to live up to it. If he'd just let his balls drop, he'd be a great character.

Seems like the show is becoming some type of harem-anime, but it doesn't quite go "all the way". Although I love the women, there needs to be some more male characters, to be honest. There's plenty of comedy and the show is chock-full of moments where I'm laughing and saying "WTF" at the same time. It can get pretty wacky and out-of-context at times, but you just have to come to expect it after awhile. I'll keep watching it, as long as Takamiya shows some character development.

So I just caught up to Witch Craft Works at ep 10. Okay, two complaints: The side characters are boring and I'm not sure I get what Takamiya was trying to do in eps 9 and 10.

So basically Kagari leads him away to make sure nobody knows his first seal is broken (how would they tell if more break?), Takamiya wants to use his magic for good by helping civilians, and while on the lamb he.... Makes a blood pact with a tree deity? I'm also not sure of the motivation for Kagari's mom, although I think it is the basic "catch my daughter's boyfriend" reasoning, but why to this extreme? She shouldn't know about his secret at this point.... Or maybe that is a twist later on?

I will promote this series's positives in explaining why all the envy and rage around people's love for Kagari and why Takamiya is actually important to the witches. Didn't think they'd explain the former at least, but joke's on me I guess.

Could this be the first MG anime.... I give a 10 out of 10? :blink: Dun dun dun! Probably not, but there are two eps to go so whatever.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Nice, CrazyDude! I was wondering if anyone else was watching The Pilot's Love Song. It is also in my queue and I have been savoring it.

I somehow fell behind on Kill la Kill, but am now caught up again. What a rollercoaster ride! And Mako Mankanshoku just had to step it up...for friendship!

Started The World God Only Knows today. When I initially read the synopsis, I thought it was going to be pretty lame. The reviews on Crunchyroll told me otherwise, so I finally gave it a chance. I'm very impressed! I got several laughs out of one episode, which speaks volumes for the show's lightheartedness. I have high hopes for this one.

Finished Kids on the Slope last week. It was good, but slightly underwhelming. I have high expectations for a Watanabe-Kanno collaboration, but they toned it down for this series. The jazz sessions were good, but there were far too few! I think if the show was more about the music than the heavy (but well deserved) emphasis on friendships and relationships, it would have been better.

Finished Casshern Sins and have to say I'm a bit disappointed. It all started so well, beautiful art and retro character designs, a dystopian, dark end of the world story with a great OST. But the story soon got a bit repetitive and towards the end there was a lot of inconsistency in the characters actions (sometimes from one episode to another), plot holes and in general I was left with the feeling that the screenwriter didn't know how to finish the story properly. A triumph of style over substance IMO.

Anyone else here seeing Tonari no Seki-kun The Master of Killing Time? Absolutely hilarious stuff with sketches about a girl with a vivid imagination getting the wrong idea about what the savant kid next her is wasting time on. Each episode is only 7 minutes long and it's well worth a watch.

Today I started watching VS Knight Ramune and 40 Fire, the sequel to NG Knight Ramune and 40, and just finished episode 8.......................

.................................................................................

This is going to be one of THOSE series. Lets analyze what is wrong with this, shall we?

-The mecha, nothing wrong with them, but you can tell they ripped off Rayearth here, both in a narrative sense and design sense (I'd say motif but one here is a lightning wielder that is earth based and not with wind).

-The puns are REALLY dumb. This wouldn't bother me if they did not take up a sixth of the dialogue.

-For a kids show this is REALLY pervy. Lots of innuendos and some butt-crack lines. (I thought it was just me but they even make a 4th wall joke on the subject)

-The opening is obnoxious, the ending is okay though.

-Lets look at the cast, shall we?: The main is Ramunedo (I've seen his name translated to Lemonade and considering his mother's name is Milk that REALLY does not surprise me if it turns out to be right) the always hungry hero that is a complete moron. The lancer is some guy from the last series called Da Cider, he is equally stupid and is more mean spirited than the villains while traveling with a snake named Heavy Metal Ko, Parfait the love interest who endlessly yells (since she has the same voice actress as Asuka from NGE that is not surprising), Cacoa who is the only decent member of the human cast, PQ the lovable mascot, and the villain duo Dandy Narcissist and Lip Pheromone (NO I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!) who are not only stupid, but try WAY TOO HARD TO BE SEXUAL. One's a muscle brain idiot that wears phallic clovers and the other can't stop groping her mammary glands! I'm going to ignore their boss Genosai for the time being since all he is doing is trying to revive his master/main antag Abraham; I will also ignore mentioning how stupid their hair is.

So yeah, idiot cast save a mascot and a girl with functioning brain, filled with bad jokes, you'd think that would be the final nail in the coffin, right? Nope! They did something which was just insulting: They have monsters of the week and DO NOT BOTHER NAMING HALF OF THEM! Only 3 out of 7 have names? REALLY? It is not even like Godannar where you at least have numbers to guide your way up, they have a random word and two random letters! YOU DON'T DO THAT! The naming is fine, but going the lazy route by not giving some of them names? That is low.

Three things drew this series to my attention:

1. Upon watching this I will have seen EVERY SINGLE ANIME that guest started in the Another Century's Episode franchise. Hooray for completest-ness!

2. According to /m/ the OVA sequel is one of the worst mecha anime ever made AND it somehow got a US release, complete with an English dub. I'd like to see just how much truth to this exists for the former.

3. The wikipedia is in horrific shape. LOOK AT IT!: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VS_Knight_Lamune_%26_40_Fire If I can fix the Braiger page I can fix this.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Been wanting to post this since Saturday. During that I finished VS Knight Ramune and 40 Fire. UGH. One third of the monsters of the week go unnamed, the jokes are still bad, Cacao got no better, and it turns out the secondary villains were all just "brain washed" (it may have been better if they acted SOMEWHAT DIFFERENTLY). For reasons unknown they decide to really up the ecchi elements for no good reason. Last five eps had an improvement in writing, unfortunately during that we had to have stock footage bananza so bad even SEED Destiny would go "nope". It explains some back story on Abraham (main villain) and the creation of the three main mecha. This would be find and dandy and all if the other two bothered showing up beyond their first appearances and their failure to stop Abraham in episode 12. Then there is the final two episodes, Abraham appears in the final showdown and holy mother of fudge this final battle was awesome, so much so that it made me wish this was in a better anime. I want to say it made up for a lot of the slop that happened up until this point, but I cannot unfortunately. The cast was that bad, the writing was that lackluster, not caring about the monsters of the week, and too many really sappy and unneeded ecchi moments.

Two days ago I decided to finally take on the OVA sequel which I'll shorten to 40 Fresh. It is laced with ecchi junk and the setting makes no sense, but it proves more entertaining than the series (why does /m/ hate this exactly?). If you've ever wondered what an ecchi version of Macross 2 would seem like this is the closest you can get. I'd comment on more episodes except shortly after I watched it all of the stream videos for the series were dead. Looks like I won't be continuing this for a while and I'm not using the YouTube vids because mid episodes are cut out for no reason.

On Sunday I took on the infamous Panzer Dragoon which is in the top six of MAL's worst anime ever (and I've already seen the other five). Basic, simply, and not bad overall. I swear people look too much into one shot OVAs.

And finally after 40 Fresh was unavailable I decided to take on Wonder Momo on Crunchyroll, all five eps, since it was just over half an hour and MAL seems to hate it enough to put it into the bottom 10. Fast paced, good fights, tolerable music and cast, and nothing bad about it except for the cliffhanger ending (why do people think that is smart to any degree?). More of MAL being over reactive to shorts.

Edited by DuelGundam2099