What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I finally caught up with the last episodes of Nobunaga the Fool and must say that I thought it was pretty mediocre. The premise was good, and so is the art and the use of CG, but I thought the plot was unnecessarily contrived and the characterizations are far from stellar. I think this anime was a bad case of trying too much, to mix too many elements together and failing to deliver good solid storytelling. Just my .02.

Better than Arjuna, but not as good as Aquarion... Or AKB0048.

So Discotek Media has picked up a new series and are hinting at what it might be.

The clues are.

So bad its good.

Really violent.

Never been released on dvd in North America.

What does that sound like to you guys?

Just to update on what RL said, DT confirmed it is Violence Jack, uncut no less. Take that, Anime Abandon. B))

i have been watching Knights of Sidonia - subbed. It is good for me.

it is similar to muv-luv or attack of the titans wherein humans has been pushed to a corner by predators and have limited means of defending themselves.

Nailed it. They even have to kill the enemy a certain way too. Good series but why is there such a lack of original thinking in Japan lately?

i don't know what cames first and I am sure, about those three material I mentioned sure got something before them a similar scenario (or maybe not, maybe I am wrong). For me, they can keep recycling the same idea, as long as the execution, character development and other factors are good.

heck, most shonen manga/anime that I watch all involve the same scenario (OP at start, defeated, trained or gained new knowledge, OP again, repeat)

Nailed it. They even have to kill the enemy a certain way too. Good series but why is there such a lack of original thinking in Japan lately?

I don't think there is such a thing as a lack of original thinking in manga/anime, but if there is, one cannot really say that it's a problem exclusive to Japan. Please see our very own "Remake" thread on this forum. Hollywood keeps churning out the same stuff year after year.

IN any case, Sidonia is a story by a great mangaka called Tsutomu Nihei. He's written some awesome cyberpunk style stories like Blame! and Biomega. Really cool stuff if you're into sci-fi. While the plot of Knights of Sidonia might not be something we haven't seen before 10 times, I'm sure the treatment, look and specially the feel of it will be very different than in similarly themed series.

I don't think there is such a thing as a lack of original thinking in manga/anime, but if there is, one cannot really say that it's a problem exclusive to Japan. Please see our very own "Remake" thread on this forum. Hollywood keeps churning out the same stuff year after year.

With genre stories, I would hazard to say that patterns do pop up that the audience can point to and recognize. Do these tropes belie a lack of original thinking, though? I'm not convinced. Hollywood is rightly criticized because it relies so much on branding. This is why we have multiple blockbuster sequels and prequels of madness year after year. One might say that Japan is better at marketing its animated entertainment; however, the patterns are still there (I'm going to use generic terminology, but my point is the same):

• harem comedies
  • romantic comedies
  • magical girls
  • robots (and all the various subgenres thereof)
  • adventure
  • SciFi

Both Hollywood and Japan still have success stories: the odd film or OVA that comes out of nowhere and surprises all audiences. I think that says a lot about the health of both industries. But, yeah, in order to find those gems, one has to suffer a lot of coal. :ph34r:

Edited by technoblue

Have they released a PV for Kantai Collection yet? I saw it was supposed to be in the Summer Anime '14 line up, but seen nothing from it yet.

I've read in the CR forums that it's been postponed to the Fall 14 season. Don't know if the person posting was legit or what his source was.

Watched the first episode of Argenvollen yesterday without any expectations whatsowever. It was actually pretty decent. A mecha show centered on combat and without any kind of "magical" or supernatural element to it so far. The characters are pretty meh, but it's only been an episode out of 24 so far. It felt kind of like a more generic low budget version of the 8th MS Team.

I finished watching Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn tonight. The political story was well done. And I thought it was funny how the whole high school subplot became an afterthought in the end. Newtypes are still a bit of a mystery to me, but that has more to do with the fact that I haven't seen many of the core Gundam series and I don't know much about the show. My only experience is with the outliers like the 08th MS Team and Gundam Wing, but I have seen a couple of the movies too.

Although some of the dramatic scenes were overdone at times, I thought the show was still solid overall.

Watched all of Knights of Sidonia today, very Megazone 23/Gunbuster/Ergo Proxy like, can't wait for the second season.

Argenvollen ep 1 was fun too, can't wait to see where that goes.

Sidonia was a total blast. Loved it. Old school mecha with Nihei's crazy designs and weird settings..

Anyone check out Aldnoah Zero? It's a Gundam clone series that was written by Urobuchi (the dude that did Madoka, Psycho Pass and Gargantia). The first episode was pretty decent, with really high production values.

Sword Art Online, Space Dandy 2 and Akame ga Kill are out too. It's going to be a good season it seems.

Looks like,"Akame ga Kill!" will be the "it" anime for the summer season. The first episode is pretty brutal!

As someone who's read the manga, let me just say that it's not only the first episode that will be pretty brutal. Expect 24 episodes of the old "ultra violence"

that's started airing?

1282466188878.png

Yup. Tuxedo Mask's secret identity clothes is as silly as ever.

Looks like,"Akame ga Kill!" will be the "it" anime for the summer season. The first episode is pretty brutal!

That was a great opening episode. Watching this one too now.

Started watching Aquarion Evol.

Seems to have the same feel as the original with different characters. Like how they integrated the opening song "Go Tight" from the original Aquarion into Episode 8 fight scene, when Zessica, Mikono, and Amata were going almost nude for battle. :wub:

I watched the new Sailor Moon Crystal episode, quite enjoyable and didnt ruin any memory of the show I used to watch. The Transformation sequence was very good. :)

I also checked out Akame ga Kill,Pretty cool episode. strong start. Looks like it will be tense later on.