Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Thank you, ivorysniper.

Here are more pics, but I really need to set up a proper shooting.

7604330214_24e57a32fa_z.jpg

7604330744_6043dddf61_z.jpg

Thanks a lot for the pictures, Electric indigo !!!. It is definitely a beautiful bird !!!. Being so clean and pristine reminds me of the Su-50 performing for the MAKS 2011 air show crowds, eager to get into real action. Great work !!!. Congrats !!. :)

Speaking of sexiness - the guys at Lockheed did their best to beat it out of this bird:

F-16E Desert Warthog Falcon

8366896849_38412f2207_z.jpg

Totally agree. The Viper used to battle for the sleekest and sexiest fighter of the 4th generation. Those added CFTs remind me of a Victoria's Secret hottie dressed in a refrigerator cardboard box. I'd dare to speculate about a slight manoeuvrability loss on this beautiful bird due to those extra-fuel-carrying bricks sitting over the LERXs.

Now, going back to modelling, you're doing great on that aircraft, electric indigo !. Great skills !

Totally agree. The Viper used to battle for the sleekest and sexiest fighter of the 4th generation. Those added CFTs remind me of a Victoria's Secret hottie dressed in a refrigerator cardboard box. I'd dare to speculate about a slight manoeuvrability loss on this beautiful bird due to those extra-fuel-carrying bricks sitting over the LERXs.

Now, going back to modelling, you're doing great on that aircraft, electric indigo !. Great skills !

I built three early block ones (A, C Blk 30s and a C Blk 40) recently in 72 and I have to say that even the block 40 didn't seem right with LANTIRN and Heavyweight gears.... the Block 30 felt like the peak of the design.

(sorry I can't resist)

5F6.jpg

Thanks for the compliments...

Umm...trying to remember back that far :wacko:. I painted everything in solid colors per instructions using Testors Model Master enamel, then added the red over the base green. When dry, I took a brush dipped in black-tinted lacquer thinner, dabbed it onto a cloth, then did a "wash" over the red and it took the red paint off unevenly. Then to get the detail back, I used the RustAll black to get into the corners, dabbing the excess off. The surface ends up a little rough, but a light wetsanding and dullcote evens it all out.

Those old AMT kits definitely weren't the best, but man they can look beautiful with the right amount of love.

I've got a huge pile of old Trek kits that I haven't built, because I keep entertaining the idea that I'll make the effort to light them up someday. :p

still grappling with that ERTL EXCELSIOR i started 6/8 moths back,

desperately attempting to rend something halfway acceptable from it with my meager "skills"

NX-2000JOHN-1-12-131.jpg

if only i could commission someone to do me one up something like this;

SJ_EXCELSIOR012.jpg

SJ_EXCELSIOR011.jpg

dammit all!! why cant anyone release a fished high detail toy of this thing like they have for pretty much every damned NCC-1701 ever conceived and then some? :(:angry::(

In order:

- Electric Indigo, The Viper is looking good so far. That is the Israeli version; right? It's got more bumps than a dirt road - still looks cool though!

- Wasabi-san, The Bird of Prey looks awesome! GREAT paint!. Too bad they didn't have the lighting kit when you started it. The SSM kit is awesome!

- Noyhauser, You can never get enough F-16 love - even when they fly over your house shaking the dust off the walls!

- Erikos, it's good to see some valk love. Which kit is that?

- Shaorin, it's not looking bad at all. Just remember they get better as you get more experience! Are you using masking tape to help with the lines? I can't see to well in the photo. Nice use of Legos - my son agrees :) - MT

Edited by MechTech

still grappling with that ERTL EXCELSIOR i started 6/8 moths back,

desperately attempting to rend something halfway acceptable from it with my meager "skills"

NX-2000JOHN-1-12-131.jpg

if only i could commission someone to do me one up something like this;

SJ_EXCELSIOR012.jpg

SJ_EXCELSIOR011.jpg

dammit all!! why cant anyone release a fished high detail toy of this thing like they have for pretty much every damned NCC-1701 ever conceived and then some? :(:angry::(

god I LOVE the Excelsior, IMO they have yet to top that design.

it looks good Shaorin!

Edited by Lightning

@mechtech: this kit is a combination of a hasegawa vf-1s super strike battroid and a vf-1s fighter. As soon as I got done with my 1st kit, I wanted a bigger challenge and before I could finish a battroid i had been working on for sometime, I changed my mind and decided to go for it. The gerwalks legs articulate all the way up and down and it's not glued at the joints so you can pose it standing or flying..!

Time for a lighting update on the Enterprise D..... I have done my first base coat of flat black on top of the hull. Still getting quite a bit of light bleedthrough hopefully after another coat of black and a base coat of gray this will not happen. Today I cut holes in bottom halves of the engine nacelles for the the flat wire to go through and cut the blue LEDs to length for the warp engines and soldered the wires on them.

post-11393-0-18444600-1358114865_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-79689000-1358114881_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-44438000-1358114898_thumb.jpg

Wow, make sure to filter that light with something, or it'll be blinding when you turn them on. :lol:/>

I had to do that with my Bandai 1701 kit... I actually wound up using layers of wax paper to mute the brightness of the lights coming out of everywhere.

Well, you cant tell from the pics, but these LED strips are the gel covered version so they are very diffuse already. Gonna lightly sand the outside of the clear engine parts and then paint the inside with clear blue/red. We'll see....

Just got my hands on this bad boy! :D

post-2535-0-26012300-1357495532_thumb.jpg

Awesome kit, although with the usual Kotobukiya quirks.

...no decal sheet, just a pattern & paint ratio guide. :(

Dang, and I was hoping to get this kit and display it in front of my MGS4 poster. I can barely handle decals as it is, but masking and spraying the patterns myself is a little above my current skill level. Especially now when Tamiya still hasn't brought in the parts I need for my AB from Japan yet, and all I've got at hand are some rattle cans.

@electric indigo: Awesome work as usual. That VF-11 is a sight to behold.

@derex3592: Can't wait to see the finished kit!

Edited by GU-11

erikos0311 - nice to see someone else take on the Hase. gerwalk conversion. NICE WORK too!So you chose to leave the Knee joint flexible - just don't flip from fighter to Gerwalk to often, cus when its standing there is a fair bit of weight and tension on that joint and you do not want your Gerwalk doing the splits!

derex - What voltage are you putting through that LED strip? (asking cus I've got some for an Ertl refit I'm supposed to be building, and haven't figured out my lighting plans as yet.)

erikos0311 - nice to see someone else take on the Hase. gerwalk conversion. NICE WORK too!So you chose to leave the Knee joint flexible - just don't flip from fighter to Gerwalk to often, cus when its standing there is a fair bit of weight and tension on that joint and you do not want your Gerwalk doing the splits!

derex - What voltage are you putting through that LED strip? (asking cus I've got some for an Ertl refit I'm supposed to be building, and haven't figured out my lighting plans as yet.)

Thanks chas, I don't think I will have that problem, what I meant is that the legs bend completely, and are not glued at any joints. I modified the legs and cut the back of the boot to pull the back leg out and have better balance all together. As you can see in the pictures, the legs can extend/bend and the gerwalks sits lower thus,has a better center of gravity... No splits for this gerwalk! :)

I built three early block ones (A, C Blk 30s and a C Blk 40) recently in 72 and I have to say that even the block 40 didn't seem right with LANTIRN and Heavyweight gears.... the Block 30 felt like the peak of the design.

(sorry I can't resist)

5F6.jpg

Noyhauser, those are three beautiful vipers !. Great work !!

Here are last nights update.. Moving on to decals today.!!! I should probably start a separate thread. :)/>

how about tackling a 1/60v.II unassembled kit after you're done here?

how about tackling a 1/60v.II unassembled kit after you're done here?

Actually ...I was looking into a 1/60 unassembled/unpainted vf-1s to customize it with a "low visibility " paint scheme, but I got way too many hasegawa kits to go thru before I can unload cash on a yamato.... :)

Everything with its due time......

The lighting colors look great Derex. It does look bright; is it just camera burn in? Are they actually LED strips, or luminescent light strips? Chronocidal's wax paper is a good idea and easier than calculating a resistor!

Nice job on the joints erikos! The lean reminds me of the commerical with the ladies leaning due to poor diet. What you feedin' that valk? :D - MT

Edited by MechTech