Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Congratualtions! I only finished a few builds, painted a couple and PARTIALLY painted the Daedalus. Maybe a better track record in 2013! :rolleyes:

Have a Happy New Year fellow styrene heads! - MT

I only finished a few builds, painted a couple and PARTIALLY painted the Daedalus.

Yes but your paint coverage area is at least six times that of your average 1/48 kit :)

Edited by big F

Well here's my next big project already started over the New Year's weekend. The AMT/Round 2 Enterprise D cast in clear plastic, and it includes ALL the Aztec pattern decals! ....and YES!....This will be my first attempt at lighting a model kit. I am using the Enterprise D+ lighting kit from Model man Tom's website. I really don't know anything about basic electronics so I'm having to learn as I go! I am following "Trekworks" Enterprise D build on YouTube. I did my first coat of black and I did get all my LEDs to light up over the weekend.... That made me very happy!

post-11393-0-03705300-1357177340_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-06083900-1357177590_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-95479000-1357177606_thumb.jpg

awwww....dude...you gotta love you some bald Captain Picard :wub: and some hotness counselor Troy or hotness Doc Crusher! :lol: I also forgot to mention.....this is my 3rd Enterprise D to build. Built 2 of the old grey AMT kits back in the day so I kiiiinda know that it doesn't fit together like a Finemolds kit... <_<

This will be my first attempt at lighting a model kit.

Good luck! In my experience, I've had failure at any of the electronic bits (lighting, moving motors, what have you) at around 97%. Even with something as simple as the PG Zaku II head.

Picard was cool, I just never got the whole English accent and French family background thingy!? "Doctor Crusher, check my SHEDUALE."

Congrats Derex on stepping out into the realm of electronics. Some advice from an old technician (me), as long as you don't let the magic smoke out of the components, it will work! ;)

I helped a buddy build that kit once. It does fit bad, but I think the design is graceful. It's even been made into flying R/C designs so it can't be that bad! If you have issues with light showing through in some areas, you may need to use metal foil to hide the light. I've had to do that a few times. Bare Metal Foils are good or aluminum foil and silicone RTV to glue it on.

Can't wait to see some glowing goodness! - MT

"John-Luck Pickard" is da man, but I'll always be partial to the Constitution class Enterprise refit from The Motion Picture/Khan/Spock..."NCC-1701...No bloody A, B, C or D, (and E)."

I have two of the 1/350 Polar Lights refits, and am planning on doing one as the Enterprise as it's returning to spaceport damaged after the "KHAAAAAANNNN" encounter. The other one might end up as a Miranda class...possibly the Reliant.

Picard was cool, I just never got the whole English accent and French family background thingy!? "Doctor Crusher, check my SHEDUALE."

LOL, and how much time did you spend living in Blighty?

You know our invaded by everyone in Europe at least once messed up accents should never be trusted :ph34r:

After-all why are we always the bad guys in films.

Actually has Patrick Stewart ever been cast as a bad guy apart from alt-verse and Borg-card Trek ?

Edited by big F

That was awesome. I was like WTF is he doing when he cut up and bent that engine area. I thought he might have been rage quiting but he's just way more creative than me.

Remember kids, always ensure the lighter is empty BEFORE you cut it open :lol: That was cool and interesting to see his process. I like those ceramic bladed tools. I'm going to have to look for some!

Thanks Big F, yeah I guess it's been a while since I've been in the UK. Europe is getting to "Eurozied." The individual countries are just seeming to become all blurred together! - MT

Edited by MechTech

I've had a machinist friend looking for a supplier of those blades here in the states with no joy. They're commonly used in Japan to de-burr machined parts. Somewhere around here I've got the manufacturers website.

mine just arrived too. was surprised at the size of of it. the box design was awesome with the dull metallic cover.

It's one of the nicest boxes I've seen. I'm kinda bummed mine got a little beat up on the way home.

Mine's still in the mail. I also wonder how big the finished kit will be.

It's about 7 inches tall in the standing/walking position from ground to the head. 8 inches if you count the radome. The railgun's just a little over 8.5 inches, & the base is 6x6 inches square.

These left the workbench in 2012:

8325543377_831cdf8368_z.jpg

Kotobukiya Vic Viper, Bandai Gadessa, Moebius Galactica and Hasegawa VF-11.

That VF-11 looks awesome on that russian splinter camo pattern. I'd love to see some close up pics of this bird !. Great work !!!!.

Dig the color scheme on that vf-11! Very clean..... Just curious.... Is that stand fabricated? I like the simplicity/modern look to it, and it doesn't take away attention from the model itself.... Might I ask, where did you get it electric indigo? Is it made out of metal/steel?

The stand is made from a material that is called "Dibond" here; it's 3 mm black PVC sandwiched between 0,5 mm aluminum sheets - looks very sleek. I got a handful of pieces from a company that makes custom shop displays, it's also used to mount large photos, so you may find it at related businesses. The kit is mounted on a strong 1 mm steel wire, I simply drilled a hole in the fuselage at the center of gravity.