Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

Interestingly Yamato's interpretation is really close to Experten's in terms of proportions!

I'm not really seeing it. Also, I seriously hope Yamato's -17D head sculpt turns out better than that. The kit's head is kind of hideous.

I'm not really seeing it. Also, I seriously hope Yamato's -17D head sculpt turns out better than that. The kit's head is kind of hideous.

Yeah I think it's more of a case of Experten's kit and the Yamato toy have the same goal in terms of design.

post-1819-0-56973100-1322168325_thumb.jpg

gotta make the VF-17D head look nice in profile

lasers optional

Interestingly Yamato's interpretation is really close to Experten's in terms of proportions!

Well, I can see both interpretations are of a VF-17 but no, in terms of proportions I don’t think they’re that close. Actually, I see more differences than similarities, one of the bigger ones being the rendition of the wings in batroid mode.

similard.png

The nose lengths are pretty different, the arm lengths are significantly different. The upper legs are supposed to be pointy as are the flat lower legs as they make up the bottom of the fighter mode.

Other than the fact that they're both trying to look like the anime...

edit: also look at how greatly different the wing lengths are as well as how wide the back is. To me it looks like the Experten tries to get the triangle fighter mode shape with a wide body while Yamato has a slimmer body and longer wings.

Pretty different from each other, imo.

Edited by eugimon

Considering the limited amount of proper pics to compare these two....I might actually prefer the Experten's battroid mode proportions, but the Yamato does the fighter mode better. But yeah, no final conclusions until we see the final Yamato VF17.

Scans attached from the January 2012 issue of Dengeki Hobby magazine.

I like that they used red plastic for the ABS and diecast test shot, kind of gives an idea what the Milia version would look like :)

Transformation is definitely a bit more complicated thatn the old Bandai 1/65 DX version!

Graham

post-11-0-58694700-1322227002_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-89330900-1322227037_thumb.jpg

I really like how they have that flap in place to close up all the gaps in the under carriage in fighter mode as well as all the other little details, like the nose cone folding up. I went from being pretty 'meh' about this release to being excited for it

Scans attached from the January 2012 issue of Dengeki Hobby magazine.

I like that they used red plastic for the ABS and diecast test shot, kind of gives an idea what the Milia version would look like :)

Transformation is definitely a bit more complicated thatn the old Bandai 1/65 DX version!

Graham

I really hope the Millia version would get released. I am worrying about bad sales (owing to price! not engineering) would hinder it.

Oh, did I mention that I won't mind a Max version?

If they can do a LV VF-1S for Focker, I can't see why they cannot do a Max VF-17S. :)

Great pics, thanks Graham! Finally the bird gets some love.

A gimmick I would have liked A LOT is a pair of interchangeable smaller wings for battroid mode. That way it could look like it does in the anime. Same stuff Bandai pulls off with some SOC combiners when anime magic makes parts bigger or smaller: perfect transformation but extra parts to make the toy look better.

After seeing the mag scans, I hope you all understand a bit better, why 100% anime accurate storage of the gunpod was not possible, given the size of the gunpod relative to the lower leg.

I think Yamato's gunpod storage is a good compromise solution.

Graham

Because ABS test shots have only recently been made, that's why.

Graham

Oh I didn't really mean abs test shots specifically, I just meant that up to now, we've had next to no pictures of this thing at all. I believe this is the first time any of us have really seen the back side of it, let alone any of the details involved in the transformation. :)

I really like how they have that flap in place to close up all the gaps in the under carriage in fighter mode as well as all the other little details, like the nose cone folding up. I went from being pretty 'meh' about this release to being excited for it

Yeah, this is some amazing engineering. Can't wait for the "D"!