Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

I guess I don't understand why you would be sold on Gimmicks. I'll admit, the stand in the VF-25 is a nice plus and I wish Yamato did that with all of their releases however I usually buy a Valk based on how much I like the look of the thing, not by what other extra stuff it may or may not have.

I guess I don't understand why you would be sold on Gimmicks. I'll admit, the stand in the VF-25 is a nice plus and I wish Yamato did that with all of their releases however I usually buy a Valk based on how much I like the look of the thing, not by what other extra stuff it may or may not have.

I think we have a different definition of gimmicks. Something like the VF-25 stand IS more of a marketing/accessory thing while the 'gimmicks' I'm referring to are really fine detail that you only see limited use of in the anime, but really show a sense of... refinement and attention to detail.

I think we have a different definition of gimmicks. Something like the VF-25 stand IS more of a marketing/accessory thing while the 'gimmicks' I'm referring to are really fine detail that you only see limited use of in the anime, but really show a sense of... refinement and attention to detail.

Exactly. I'm not looking for extra parts or stand additions, but rather, really minute details and features put into the valkyrie itself, much like the battroid hatch for the VF-19, which, I think many of you would agree, is ingeniously designed.

I like the VF, but I wouldn't buy it if all it was was just a solid plane with no actual "refinement" as Uxi mentioned. The thing costs just off $300, I hope I'm not asking for too much lol :p

Exactly. I'm not looking for extra parts or stand additions, but rather, really minute details and features put into the valkyrie itself, much like the battroid hatch for the VF-19, which, I think many of you would agree, is ingeniously designed.

I like the VF, but I wouldn't buy it if all it was was just a solid plane with no actual "refinement" as Uxi mentioned. The thing costs just off $300, I hope I'm not asking for too much lol :p

My feeling is that a "feature" like the hatch on the 19 is completely worthless to me. It was extra time/money/etc... (likely not helping the cost) that is completely wasted because I'm not going to use it. To me it's $300 plus a useless aside. I'd rather it came with a "marketing/accessory" like a stand instead.

Ah, but with the hatch on the 19, you can recreate the beginning of the M7 movie. Just throw your $300 toy into the snow and see how that pilot figure goes! ;)

This 17 looks better & better! Can't wait to live vicariously through others!

I'm two ways with this. I agree, but since the Nightmare doesn't appeal to me, probably a lit up cockpit and engines would have convinced me more. :p

And i don't regard a stand a gimmick. I feel it should be a standard with these type of high end collectables.

Ah, but with the hatch on the 19, you can recreate the beginning of the M7 movie. Just throw your $300 toy into the snow and see how that pilot figure goes! ;)

This 17 looks better & better! Can't wait to live vicariously through others!

HAhahahahahahaha that's too funny right there lol. I should do that.......not really but if I could afford to do so I would. Maybe just stage it and take pics.

I'd just like to throw out that the "stand" included with the VF-25 is not a plus in any way. That monstrosity is a gormless piece of crap not worth the plastic it's molded in.

Sure, some added gimmicks such as the cockpit hatch on the -19 maybe superfluous, but I really think those are the things that set these toys apart as collector items compared to...oh say a transformer or something (not the best comparison lol).

The simple fact that they CAN achieve some crazy stuff like that really appeals to me in that I am getting what I pay for, and that in itself can convince me to purchase something, even if I don't even plan on extensively using it.

And yes, they are great for dioramas as well! :p

I'd just like to throw out that the "stand" included with the VF-25 is not a plus in any way. That monstrosity is a gormless piece of crap not worth the plastic it's molded in.

:lol: I kind of agree... but I still think having something is better than having nothing at all...

the cockpit hatch is what gives the Fire Valkyrie's head fin enough space to store cleanly in fighter mode

they kind of needed that

But it didn't need the hatch on the cockpit or the rotating seat. Transforms just fine without it

True, it does open up enough room for the head fin, but I think that they easily could have worked around that without feeling the need to go all the way to design a full cockpit hatch system. As Eugimon said, the rotating seat, etc. wouldn't have been necessary.

But I'm not complaining, I liked the features :p Too bad I got rid of my Vf-19, gonna get an -S version soon enough though

Back to Vf-17, as someone previously mentioned, I am looking forward to the D model primarily :D

I like the Valks enough by itself.....but gimmicks is an added bonus ;) .

Yeah, they do drive up the price, but hey, picture this; your friends come over to see your prized Valk, first you transform it and they say yeah, cool, but is that it? Then you proceed to show off all its hidden gimmicks, your friends go 'oohs' and 'aahs'....then you look them straight in the eye, and deadpan the magic word ALL collectors been wanting,"...ANIME ACCURATE..." :lol: .

And yes, I'm saving up for a VF-17 because it's SO worth it!

Anyone know if the VF-17S is selling well on pre-orders?

It doesn't seem to be in any danger of selling out anytime soon it seems, based on the number of stores that still have it available for pre-order.

I don't expect it to sell out quickly like the renewal VF-25's which are half the price and are the featured valkyrie from a more recent show, but sometimes I worry that if the 17S doesn't sell well enough, they might not go ahead with the 17D which it sounds like so many more people would rather get, especially at this price where many can only justify choosing to either get one or the other.

I asked a retailer in Japan about the 17S, he said feedback was "Luke warm." He added that most people think it's too fat in fighter, too thin in battroid, and too expensive. Of course, he might not have asked many people about it and just has the misfortune of having talked to a couple people who were vocal about why they wouldn't be buying it. On the flipside, he pre-emptively told me not to try to buy any Bandai Macross Frontier merchandise from him because it was selling so well he was having a hard time getting stock (he runs a small store). I'm really hoping the 17 is a toy that blows the socks off early reviewers and generates more interest after it's out for being a superb product since it's priced too high and not beautiful enough to convince everyone to plunk down cash beforehand.

According to my Macross buddies in Toysdaily, only one or two persons (including me) have decided to get it.

I think only one or two regulars there haven't got the VF-25F v2.

I feel pity for the VF-17S as I believe it would be a great piece of engineering brainchild, after handling the VF-19Kai. But let's see the real product to decide.

I would count a dozen or so...

Not too many but most, if not all of them, enjoy the Yammies tremendously and got a dozen of valks each. If these people don't buy, I would not be optimistic.

Thanks. That sounds about right.

The VF-17 is largely unappealing to me, but I will get the D variant when it is released.

While I wasn't necessarily planning on this version, I'm definitely in for a red S and a D... but this doesn't bode very well. I'd rather get Millia's than this one, but I wonder if they've just priced themselves out of the market at this point? I'd be interested to see how well the VF-19S is selling as well, just due to the high price and the competition from the VF-25.

I think it looks beautiful, but I do think they need to show more (and better) pictures of it before they get anywhere near the interest they want. It's already overshadowed by the VF-25S, because there are pictures for it all over the web.

I might have to put up a preorder soon, just to make sure I get one before the price jumps into 1990's Takatoku levels. :huh:

Likely the 17 won't sell as well simply because it was never a hero Valk (which still makes no sense to me, if it looks cool buy the damn thing.) However, did the 19S really pre-order that well prior to Yamato finally releasing all of the extra images of it? Maybe pre-orders will increase once there are some final production images coming out like for the 19S. Plenty of people here were sold on the 19S once the trickle of images picked up.

Hey Graham, are you aware of the color choices Yamato are going to make for this thing? I realize it's probably the most accurate to have a dark grey with blue undertones but we've seen three different shades in all of these various prototype pics. One, the same dark grey/blue I mentioned, one that's more of a lighter grey with no blue and the last being a much darker charcoal grey/black (which is my personal favorite of what we've seen.)

Edited by Mommar

I actually think pre - orders were tremendous on the -19S due to the meer fact that the -19 Kai was pure awesomesauce, and people knew that it could only get better. Couple that with a potentially much more appealing paint scheme and design, and *BAM* lots of people pre-ordered.

Likely the 17 won't sell as well simply because it was never a hero Valk (which still makes no sense to me, if it looks cool buy the damn thing.)

Wadda ya mean "not a hero valk"!?

Them's fightin' words pardner!

Gamlin was one of the 3 main characters in Macross 7, the other 2 being Mylene and Basara. Gamlin definitely qualifies as a hero.

Graham

Likely the 17 won't sell as well simply because it was never a hero Valk (which still makes no sense to me, if it looks cool buy the damn thing.)

Subtle I haven't really watched Macross 7 post.

^Compared to Basara, I think he does have a point. Although Gamlin was there, I never really felt like he was ever as important as Basara OR Meylene.

Relatively, I kinda felt as though he was a slightly more involved character than Brera, or something along those lines.

Hmm...maybe its just me?