Bandai DX Chogokin YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie

UN Spacy

Oh, as far as shared parts go.. I can easily see them reusing a good portion of the lower leg for the v.2 VF-25. I think the feet are identical, and the inner, upper, and lower portions of the lower leg look just about the same. Since those missile pods on the legs move, they could probably just replace those with a VF-25 accurate panel, and call it a VF-25 leg. Now, whether the leg would transform at the correct angles and attach high enough in fighter mode to look right on a VF-25 is another story.

Crap! I misread the question. VF-25 and YF-29 do seem to share some common parts (cannon and toy). The cockpit canopy is identical, the feet/exhausts are identical, maybe the shoulder connector as well. I also wonder if those apparently almost identical legs could be recycled or they will not attach high enough in fighter mode.

Honestly, I don't think Bandai needs to do a lot of homework to go from YF-29 to V 2.0 VF-25, unless the Gundam mentality counterattacks.

For those of you who have it in hand, are there any particular points of worry or flaws you've found so far?

Worry:

Paint job on the shouder connector

Canard, it is thin and sharp

Flaws:

Shield keeps falling off the arm

One of the beam cannon dose not lock in place in battroid mode, retracts too easily

No locking mechanism when the beam rifle is in the "open" position

Crap! I misread the question. VF-25 and YF-29 do seem to share some common parts (cannon and toy). The cockpit canopy is identical, the feet/exhausts are identical, maybe the shoulder connector as well. I also wonder if those apparently almost identical legs could be recycled or they will not attach high enough in fighter mode.

Honestly, I don't think Bandai needs to do a lot of homework to go from YF-29 to V 2.0 VF-25, unless the Gundam mentality counterattacks.

I've completely disassembled my VF-25 to pieces for modifications and retooling and I can guarantee that both the VF-25 (V.2) and YF29 will share lots of common parts. I mean all the most important stuff is already there. All the problems around proportions, articulations and transformation have been addressed. All the inner mechanisms would be the same. The whole nosecone area would be practically the same, including the cockpit, the pilot, the landing gear and crotch area; it's just to take off the canards. The chest area in battroid mode would retain everything but the upper plate with the clear bits. Only the shoulder plate should be changed from the arms and the guns removed from the lower arms. The hands and the neck would be the same. The head, the back plate top half and the wings would be new but that's easy. The legs would just need to be provided with a new gun panel at the thigh and lower leg panel with the fins; they will attach high enough: they're currently one click down at the thigh and up at the knee to let room for the gun nacelles –like the VF-1's legs with fast pack. Only the outer plate of the shield would need to be changed. Overall, I think at least 65% of the VF-25 is already at the YF-29.

I bought mine at AmiAm. Unfortunately, according to them the country where I'm currently living doesn't accept SAL parcels this size so they sent it as EMS. You wouldn't believe how much I paid for it, I'll just say I could've easily bought a VF-1 for that money!

I've completely disassembled my VF-25 to pieces for modifications and retooling and I can guarantee that both the VF-25 (V.2) and YF29 will share lots of common parts. I mean all the most important stuff is already there. All the problems around proportions, articulations and transformation have been addressed. All the inner mechanisms would be the same. The whole nosecone area would be practically the same, including the cockpit, the pilot, the landing gear and crotch area; it's just to take off the canards. The chest area in battroid mode would retain everything but the upper plate with the clear bits. Only the shoulder plate should be changed from the arms and the guns removed from the lower arms. The hands and the neck would be the same. The head, the back plate top half and the wings would be new but that's easy. The legs would just need to be provided with a new gun panel at the thigh and lower leg panel with the fins; they will attach high enough: they're currently one click down at the thigh and up at the knee to let room for the gun nacelles –like the VF-1's legs with fast pack. Only the outer plate of the shield would need to be changed. Overall, I think at least 65% of the VF-25 is already at the YF-29.

I bought mine at AmiAm. Unfortunately, according to them the country where I'm currently living doesn't accept SAL parcels this size so they sent it as EMS. You wouldn't believe how much I paid for it, I'll just say I could've easily bought a VF-1 for that money!

If what you say turns out to the true, I hope we can swap out the whole arm and leg because I want a VF-25 with the 29's shoulder armor, forearm guns and leg missiles.

You can probably swap out the legs, but only if you keep it in battroid mode, the upper thigh uses a different kind of connection system, so it wouldn't fit with the VF-25, and the shoulder armors are connected differently as well, so I doubt that's gonna work either. There are so many things that even though you see the elements of VF-25 in the YF-29, it's been redesigned from the ground up.

For those of you who have it in hand, are there any particular points of worry or flaws you've found so far?

I hereby declare myself the first YF29 durandal owner in the US (nevermind, posted too late)

Ok - I haven't transformed yet but here's some nitpicks.

The stand - ok, like it just "rests" in the stand in fighter mode - it doesn't even clip in like the older vf25 series, very stable but nonetheless, a bit kinda like "huh". I can see why, the part where you usually clip it in, is no longer there, there's 2 upper "open" tabs (the same where you will clip the leg crotch pieces, this mechanism replaces the tab where most people connect the tab in Battroid mode) and there 's 2 lower "open" tabs - its just nitpick anyhow.

Paint application - wow, yes, I hate Yamato (their f*cking valkyrie stand is sooooo crappy, the variable stand from Bandai for the Frontier series blows it out of the water) and I can see why Bandai takes the ball here. HOWEVER, I can easily see how a lot detailing paint and tampo printing can be easily scratched off in the the middle of transformation, its a tradeback I guess, more app detail however so is the risk of you scratching something...

I think someone else said that the outside turbine wings were a bit fraqile, ahh..not quite but I can see if enough force and brute force can damage them.

Besides that, I can see why a lot people are eager to buy the v2 series, there is a lot of improvement done in the yf29. Also I like how the shield part stays flat, and a movable fingers in one hand (however Bandai is nice enough to throw you extra set of hands)

Yep, $210 well spent!!

Edited by the9breaker

Quick question: Is there a way to store the turret in Battroid mode? I'm guessing you can store in the same place as it goes in fighter mode but would just like confirmation.

No, because the turrets has to be deployed to allow room for wings to fold up and the canopy takes up the space for the turret's swing bar.

Edited by Swoosh

The thing I just noticed about this thing is with the wings swept out it very much looks like a VF-19A, but a lot of people have been taking pictures with the wings folded in in fighter mode and it suddenly looks like a Blazer or one of the later VF-19 models.

The legs would just need to be provided with a new gun panel at the thigh and lower leg panel with the fins; they will attach high enough: they're currently one click down at the thigh and up at the knee to let room for the gun nacelles –like the VF-1's legs with fast pack.

This gave me such a huge grin when I read it. Honestly, this finally says to me that they know exactly what they're doing this time around.

The fact that the legs are in that position normally on this one says two things to me. First, they've already planned ahead for the VF-25 so it will be able to properly mount leg packs. Second, if this thing can already mount that huge gunpod while on the ground (with extra arm armor even), there should be plenty of room for even Michael's sniper pod on the new one, even with super packs mounted. I almost wouldn't be surprised if they even manage to pull it off with the armor pack.

just got mine yesterday, no time to transform it yet. this things looks and feels awesome so far. the pictures linked in this thread have me itching to go home transform and pose this thing. i am praying it won't turn floppy over time like the vf-25's did (and to a lesser degree the VF-27 as well).