Macross General SCOOPUDA thread

azrael

21 minutes ago, MikeRoz said:

You could have tagged me, I already took a better picture of that shelf last night - not sure if it has all the detail you need though.

Still can’t tell. But it looks like the 1st BD release. 

13 minutes ago, azrael said:

Still can’t tell. But it looks like the 1st BD release. 

Pretty sure that's the box for it behind the VF-0.

Also, here's the Macross II kickstarter news from Otakon.

https://www.fandompost.com/2023/07/29/animeigos-macross-ii-anime-blu-ray-kickstarter-sets-2024-release/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

5 hours ago, MikeRoz said:

Looks like it's the Japanese release of Mac0

20230729_165443.jpg

20230729_165446.jpg

Nice shot!

It is the Zero's japanese BD-box, indeed.

Seems other Otakon pictures I'd seen here and at TFW, also showed japanse BDs of M7 and Plus (just standalone movie-edition, tho).

It gets kinda weird to just be displaying these BD media as props-only.  They should be playing at least some previews to market these stuff to people there unfamiliar with the shows.

Maybe next time, they'll invite Arcadia to show off their 1/60 lineups of Plus, 7, and Zero toys...

Edited by treatment

13 minutes ago, treatment said:

Nice shot!

It is the Zero's japanese BD-box, indeed.

Seems other Otakon pictures I'd seen here and at TFW, also showed japanse BDs of M7 and Plus (just standalone movie-edition, tho).

It gets kinda weird to just be displaying these BD media as props-only.  They should be playing at least some previews to market these stuff to people there unfamiliar with the shows.

Maybe next time, they'll invite Arcadia to show off their 1/60 lineups of Plus, 7, and Zero toys...

or heck, maybe entice them to start to sell some of those toys again, do another production run?  I would not mind another crack at any of the Macross Zero line of Valkyries and re-release the SV-51 to e-tailers outside of Japan.  BBTS had Nora's SV-51y for over $400 USD.....way too much money.

Twich

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, treatment said:

Kawamori tweets...

Inspiration for the Ghost in the SDF-TV (QF-3000E Ghost ?) :

https://twitter.com/kawamoriexpo/status/1689969407236390912

https://twitter.com/kawamoriexpo/status/1689789393886916608

FYI
He went to the National Museum of the US Air Force at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.

He's just talking about the X-24 in the 1st tweet (or whatever it's called now).

2nd tweet is, obviously, about the X-29.

If anyone was looking for Macross news-type stuff from the tweets, there's nothing. Just Kawamori being a tourist. 😝

4 hours ago, treatment said:

Inspiration for the Ghost in the SDF-TV (QF-3000E Ghost ?) :

Yup... the Martin Marietta X-24A, which was created specifically to test the kind of lifting body design that Kawamori would use for the QF-3000E Ghost.

The Martin Marietta X-24B also pictured there (the wedge shaped one) is the inspiration for the Advanced Valkyrie design called the VF-X-7 Ghost Valkyrie.  (See pg052 in Kawamori's Macross Design Works book.)  The X-24B was also kind of a proof of concept for the lifting body design later used by Rockwell International for the US's Space Shuttle Orbiter.

4 hours ago, treatment said:

Inspiration for the YF-19:

Yup, there's a section about the YF-29 being inspired by the Grumman X-29 in This is Animation: the Select: Macross Plus Movie Edition.

The X-29 was a proof-of-concept for forward swept wing and canard configurations.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this the right thread, but has this been posted yet?

https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/latest/2023/10/8/seiko-celebrates-40-years-of-macross-with-skull-leader-inspired-watch

Yen 44k.. for what some are saying for a rather basic Seiko watch. At least the face is at least not as bland as the 35th Anniversary version.. Just the right amount of subtlety imho.

A53F5835-3D8F-4D04-BEEE-5118478084CD.webp.d2957e3e2f4cfb9462423a2933c1dbcc.webp

6EC8FF36-E16B-4E64-BA31-2B01209D0E03.webp.27fb868fabb1c632584d40ee85a79bc2.webp

63B44159-6020-4448-A196-A85E6BF671BC.webp.cbebb56c46f1cb59eea694fe97deb293.webp

• 2 months later...

Yesterday, when I picked up the latest Great Mechanics G 2023 Winter issue (the one with the awesome Mospeada cover, BTW), and was surprised to find an article on Macross Zero, specifically the upcoming Macross Zero BD release.  Apparently it's using the "latest AI remastering technology"(!),

The official (?) release site with the BD particulars (cost, content, extras, etc.): https://v-storage.bnarts.jp/sp-site/macross_zero_bdbox/

And the Macross Youtube channel has a promotional video—which thankfully shows a side-by-side comparison on some shots:

• 3 months later...

interesting thought/comment....especially when you take into account the 3 "pillars" of Macross...

-- By incorporating old designs into modern times, the things you take into consideration when making new designs are changing as well.

Kawamori It's one of the trends in the world of "Macross," but if we don't do something new, including the era and the characters, the system will taper off. In reality, we're in a difficult situation with drones everywhere, so it's a difficult time for manned fighter jet design.

It's like taking out "lightsabers" from Star Wars, that worked well enough for D+'s Andor....not sure if I would care for Macross without a shiny new VF, especially considering shiny new VFs are the only thing keeping me interested in the Macross franchise these days....:unknw:

Love this interview as well, since it also segues into thinking & decisions behind the scenes for current DX, HMR & HG kits.

Most of what Kawamori saying has probably been covered in older interviews before, but nonetheless refreshing to read again with some small new details. What's new for me is that one reason YF-19 was intentionally different from VF-1 was to have the cockpit in a more logical position in battroid (yet the YF-21 has the cockpit in the same position lol) and Basara's ride was almost a variant of the VF-11.

Should we be worried(?) when he says of the HG kits:

In the past, plastic models were also tackled as complete transformations, but I think the decision to abandon them and incorporate replacement transformations was wonderful. As long as it is a plastic model, the element of "wanting to assemble as many aircraft as you want" is an important factor. By doing so, it is possible to distinguish it from DX Chogokin. It was also an opportunity for me to think that if it is possible to increase mobility to this level, I should be able to do it so far for the next aircraft I will work on.

I hope that doesn't mean that he will make future VF designs to have more anime-magic porportions, seeing how anime magic can now be tackled by the shortcut transformation aspect of the HG kit. How about the toys then? lol..2

Since Mac Plus & Mac 7 were pretty successful, I wonder what's preventing them to do something similar again - developing 2 sequels concurrently for different audiences? 

6 hours ago, MKT said:

In the past, plastic models were also tackled as complete transformations, but I think the decision to abandon them and incorporate replacement transformations was wonderful. As long as it is a plastic model, the element of "wanting to assemble as many aircraft as you want" is an important factor. By doing so, it is possible to distinguish it from DX Chogokin. It was also an opportunity for me to think that if it is possible to increase mobility to this level, I should be able to do it so far for the next aircraft I will work on.

Nah.....he starts his response with:

"As long as it is a plastic model..."

11 hours ago, MKT said:

I don't think so. I think he's referring to the fact that transforming kits are inherently fragile. In the model making world, we've know this for a very long time. Every transformation increases the chance parts will break. Kits that are more "static" in their design haven't suffered nearly as many broken joints, part failures, etc. Likewise, transformations can also limit the posing options for kits cuz the transformation mechanism can interfere with the posing options. Removing those "transformations" and using static parts has fixed a lot of broken parts-issues. Hence why I've stayed away from MG Zeta Gundam kits and still have VF-25 kits MIB. Soon as transform it, plastic bits go flying. And I'm being gentle.

25 minutes ago, azrael said:

I don't think so. I think he's referring to the fact that transforming kits are inherently fragile. In the model making world, we've know this for a very long time. Every transformation increases the chance parts will break. Kits that are more "static" in their design haven't suffered nearly as many broken joints, part failures, etc. Likewise, transformations can also limit the posing options for kits cuz the transformation mechanism can interfere with the posing options. Removing those "transformations" and using static parts has fixed a lot of broken parts-issues. Hence why I've stayed away from MG Zeta Gundam kits and still have VF-25 kits MIB. Soon as transform it, plastic bits go flying. And I'm being gentle.

Agreed. I guess I was reading too much into that last bit of quoted paragraph, and in hindsight it doesn't really make sense to design a VF to take advantage of the HG shortcut transformation whilst ignoring perfect transformation toys. 

51 minutes ago, MKT said:

Agreed. I guess I was reading too much into that last bit of quoted paragraph, and in hindsight it doesn't really make sense to design a VF to take advantage of the HG shortcut transformation whilst ignoring perfect transformation toys. 

Economics. Perfect transformation kits cost more to make, lowering the production volume, increasing the price consumers pay. HG kits don’t need as much engineering if you can “cheat” the transformation, increasing the production volume, lowering the price consumer pays. Yes, a HG kit is lower quality but consider what the price people will pay when money is tight. A $40 HG kit vs a $300+ DX Chogokin kinda says it.