This past week, I re-watched the first episode (erm, 2 episodes). And I must say, that it's much better than the first time through.

In other words, I've realized what the problem with it is: it didn't introduce the (main) characters before it hurls them into the plot. After being introduced to them (via later episodes), it plays much better.

Actually, the cold opening of the first episodes is what hooked me. It proved to me that this show was going to be radically different from all the others that had come before it. It also established the precident of not showing the audience anything the characters themselves would never know.

Hence why we never find out what happened to the soldier and scientist chick that went through the Stargate in the third episode. It's a wonderfully effective storytelling element that really adds to the isolation and frustration the crew must be feeling.

I'm not complaining about the cold opening per se (as that's pretty much de regueur with English TV these days), but mostly that they should've focused on establishing a smaller number of characters in the minds of the audience before expanding to the larger cast. As it is, they only truly developed Eli and Rush. So, if they restructured things, the end result might not have been that different, but there would be more clarity in the mind of the audience of who's who. But that's just me.

Didnt like the last episode at all, just seemed like a silly way to get the shuttle back, and get rid of all the ex crew members. And from the end of it, the last crewman that didnt wasnt shown to die yet, the religious one, well, he should still be in the upcoming shows, as it was shown he was still alive when the aliens came!!!! Oh, didnt like Greer at all either, hope they put a bullet in his head instead.

Edited by Arthurius

This weeks episode really WOWed me! I've been a fan of the series from the start, but I found this episode very touching...right down to the final moment. I'm finding I like the "exploration" and seeing glimpses of the unknown episodes more than the "combat" type eps. Don't get me wrong, still like them too....but I'm finding that that isn't what this show is about. It seems to me that is more in the spirit of the original Star Trek.....ie, exploring or learning more about the unknown. I like how the characters are starting to come together a bit more now too. I also really like the soundtrack, particularly the final moments of this episode.

Chris

Thought I had:

Early on, it seemed every other ep was Chloe using the swapping-stones to visit her mom. Eli's mom recently got to visit him as a "life-saving" one time thing. So why haven't they allowed Chloe's mom to come on board to see her one last time? Does her mom even know what's going on?

The continuation is probably because of a couple of things: despite bending the mold, SGU is still a Stargate series; in that there's still Stargates (does a gate opening ever get old?) and a continuation of the SG-1 story in the background. Just from those two points alone, IMHO, there's a sizeable core fanbase continuing to support SGU.

... and for all our grumbling, I think a lot of us MW fans are interested to see where the series ends up and how the various relationships play out.

... when's the next episode supposed to air?

Episode gets two thumbs up for all the setting up going on. There's some good pay offs, as well to some stuff that's been building for the past few episodes. Hopefully the next episode will pay off as much as the setting up implies (though, given the lack of pay off in this season's first episode...)

Probably the only complaint I have is that the first battle was resolved quickly and (apparently) easily. Mind you, one could consider it preamble for the start of the episode's *real* story thereafter. Nevertheless, the ease that the "problem" was resolved was such that I actually felt that it didn't fit into SGU. Anyhow, later developments had me nodding that we're still in the SGU universe (pun? what pun?).

Oh, before I forget, I really like how the show is taking the time to portray space walks. It may not be 100% realistic, but that's more the fault of filming on Earth and using CG then for a lack of trying. The retro-designed space suits instilled a nostalgic feeling, conjuring up memories of similar space walks in classic SF movies ("Alien" is a good an example as any).

Edited by sketchley

• 2 weeks later...

CANCELLED!

Too bad I was actually beginning to enjoy the show. Rush's discovery of what the Destiny's mission finally gave what I felt was a point to the story. Before they they were just bouncing around trying to drum up drama. But I guess it's all too late. I'm sure the reason for cancelling this show and Caprica was because they didn't meet syfy's standards. Now they can fill their time slots with more movies like megasharktopus vs. saber tooth mastadonants.

Ok, just got the specifics from wiki:

" second season of 20 episodes was announced by Syfy in December 2009,[3] and began airing in the United States on September 28, 2010.[4] The second half of season 2 is expected to return in Spring 2011.[5] Syfy announced on December 16, 2010 that it was cancelling Stargate Universe and that the Spring 2011 season would be its last."

Can't say i'm sad to see this show go, though i've only seen the first season, which was pretty depressing and boring, it was enough to put me off from watching anymore. While the other stargate shows were great and fun to watch in my opinion, i thought universe was poor in comparison and there's not a like-able character amongst the cast. I really think they should have finished Atlantis before exploring other ideas like universe.

I do hate it when shows get cancelled though and if its not given a proper ending that makes it even worst. I remember watching the last episode of Farscape, my mind just went totally mad. Then they finished it proper with the movie and all was forgiven.

Edited by kung flu

I will be missing Universe alot, it was the only show besides The Big Bang Theory which i watch every week, now i will be down to 1 show only.... and besides, other than a few of the episodes, i loved Universe more than the other stargates, really wanted to know what they the ending was for the planned 5 year story, for final season (3rd) in case they couldnt get it that far.... I hate show cancelations!!!!

As stated before, the show's cancellation may have a lot to do with MGM's bankruptcy issues.

Nah. I think it has everything to do with Syfy:

- changing station format to wrestling

- changing broadcast slot from Friday to Tuesday

- demanding the show be as close to a carbon copy of BSG as possible (thereby alienating long-term SG1 & SGA fans as well as not getting new viewers (as it's another stargate show)); or something along these lines.

Nah. I think it has everything to do with Syfy:

- changing station format to wrestling

- changing broadcast slot from Friday to Tuesday

- demanding the show be as close to a carbon copy of BSG as possible (thereby alienating long-term SG1 & SGA fans as well as not getting new viewers (as it's another stargate show)); or something along these lines.

They also needed to free up the cash to work on the BSG prequal. SyFy is also getting a little less SciFi every passing year.

Can't say I'm surprised that it's been cancelled.

The writers/producers never seemed to get a good grasp on what the show was supposed to be about or even the format it was supposed to be. And then there's the pretty dumb ass decisions syfy made with the show, like delaying hulu streaming by 30 days, streaming episodes out of order...

Just bring back SG-1. It had plenty of gas left in the tank and fits in much better with the current line up of light hearted shows like eureka and warehouse13.

most folks seem to agree on one thing that comes to bear upon Sci-Fi channels general change from science fiction story telling to... something else entirely. Or as i comment on another forum, they dont have a *&^%$# *&^%(*& clue what the &^%* good shows are anymore. regardless of production issues, its the still SiFy's fault they drive one TV after another into the dirt... /rant off.

• 2 weeks later...

Does any one know what has happened to Stargate Worlds on line game?

Did it get released?

You really ought to check out their website. Something called Stargate Resistance was released, but it is getting shutdown in a couple weeks. Other then that there is nothing new on their news pages since early January of 2010 - so it's best to count it as dead.

Here is a fundamental question. Are these SF shows trying to run for too long?

Should writers with a good idea limit themselves to maybe two or three seasons, have a decent story arc running during that time, and then wrap up the show when it reaches it's climax??

I think Stargate:Universe should have run along the lines.

a) Season 1 - Establish premise and characters

b) Season 2 - Now that these things are established it is time to engage a broader sort of show, what the ships mission is etc, what needs to be done, all running up to a big cliffhanger at the end of the Season.

c) Season 3 - Climatic season. Writers can do whatever they want for the adventure, but they should work to the goal of having a climax and wrapping it all up by the end of the season AND AT THAT POINT THE PROGRAM *WILL* END. NO CRAPPY EXTENSIONS INTO FURTHER SEASONS!!

I think lots of SF programs would benefit from having such a schedule. That way you avoid the show meandering on, jumping the shark and passing its use by date.

The modern Star Trek series were classic examples? Seven seasons each?? No way. If they had finished at a maximum of 4 or 5 each I think that their reputations now would be much more solid and the shows would have been appreciated at the time.

I dunno. I just think long seasons and long-running shows are a BAD idea.

Should writers with a good idea limit themselves to maybe two or three seasons, have a decent story arc running during that time, and then wrap up the show when it reaches it's climax??

I'd like to see more shows done in the anime tradition of a single season or two as well. If the show does well then the writers can leave a hook for a second season and a third, but get the main plot for each season done.

Best example of this being done in the US would be the first season of Heroes (I try to forget it had more then that)

Yes.

I'd like to see more shows done in the anime tradition of a single season or two as well. If the show does well then the writers can leave a hook for a second season and a third, but get the main plot for each season done.

Only problem with that there are the few exceptions that have over 100 episodes combined (Naruto,Bleach, Pokemon and Dragon ball/z/gt)whose arc really doesn't change from one episode/season to another.

Which is part of the reason why I have trouble watching a series over 52 episodes.