Would you buy a v2.0 1/60 YF-19

AlphaOne

72 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a v2.0 YF-19 1/60?

• Yes
    • No

With the YF-21 and VF-11 being the cream of the crops for the Mac + lines, I was wondering how many other Macrossworld fans feel a little disappointed with the YF-19. It seems that in both scale cases, the YF-19 was the first model out, only to show it's age quite quickly when in comparison to the other Mac + valks. It got me thinking, is there even a demand for a v2.0 YF-19 and if so, what are some things you wish to see changed or added.

Edited by AlphaOne

I have to argue semantics on this one. Version 2.0 implies (to me) a complete overhaul of the existing product like we saw with the 1/60 VF-1 partsformer to the current 1/60 VF-1. That's a huge leap forward. The 1/60 YF-19 doesn't need nearly that kind of leap forward, what it needs is the kind of tweaking you generally see in a "second edition." It's essentially the same toy but the manufacturer listens to the early adopters and makes some tweaks like adding more areas to lock, sturdier parts in areas prone to breaking, etc. A second edition YF-19 should have a smaller Isamu figure (from the 11B), a chest that locks in battroid mode, and some tweaks that make it come tightly back together in fighter mode.

I have to argue semantics on this one. Version 2.0 implies (to me) a complete overhaul of the existing product like we saw with the 1/60 VF-1 partsformer to the current 1/60 VF-1. That's a huge leap forward. The 1/60 YF-19 doesn't need nearly that kind of leap forward, what it needs is the kind of tweaking you generally see in a "second edition." It's essentially the same toy but the manufacturer listens to the early adopters and makes some tweaks like adding more areas to lock, sturdier parts in areas prone to breaking, etc. A second edition YF-19 should have a smaller Isamu figure (from the 11B), a chest that locks in battroid mode, and some tweaks that make it come tightly back together in fighter mode.

I agree with jenius on this one. I kind of spoke on some of what he mentions in the "Surprise" thread here.

I like my YF-19. I'll be getting another one when I can anyways.

If they do make a "new" one - it had better be either ridiculously better or just a tad bit tweaked. I don't want them making a new mold or whatever just to have it come out the same...

Besides - what could they possibly do more? I mean - technically they could work on making it more poseable... but then again - look at the DX... :)

Pete

I'd be happy enough if they'd just give the existing mold some tweaks because that's really all it needs - it's beautiful to look at, just not very structurally sound when it comes time to transform and pose.

Hate to be a dick about this but if they redid it, wouldn't it be a V.3? This would be their 3rd attempt at it then if it ever came to pass.

If they did it I would like to see all or at least some of these:

- stiffer or more clicky joints.

- New wing attachment method (trying to get it to hold in tension right now sucks and is too finicky). Would also be cool if they could get the wings to swing back as well as it did have a variable mode I believe.

- Trim/loose the gullet. If they can do it on a VF-11 they can at least attempt to trim the gullet down on a VF-19

- Locking chest for battroid mode.

- Better hands and a better gun pod. I would like it to be able to hold the gunpod straight along the forearm if possible.

- Better arm articulation. I have been spoiled by the VF-1 1/60 V.2. It's set a standard for me that has to be matched. The VF-11B looses points because of this.

- Has to come with the fastpacks standard like the other valks. That or the fold booster either or. The Heavy Weapons cluster would be a nice touch as well.

To bad it's probably never going to happen.

Edited by logos

Hate to be a dick about this but if they redid it, wouldn't it be a V.3? This would be their 3rd attempt at it then if it ever came to pass.

I'm a little confused, did Yamato make a v2.0 YF-19 in the 1/60 scale? If so, then I apologize for the mistake. :)

Edited by AlphaOne

answering the question - Would you buy a v2.0 1/60 YF-19? YES... even if they make it 5-10 years from now? YES... if it comes out as tight and sturdy in all modes as the v2.0 1/60 VF-1s? Definitely YES... if they manage to take a chunk off of that gullet? Hell YEAH! :) the YF-19 is still my fave Hero Valk... and the only thing keeping the VF-1 tied w/ it is nostalgia.

but right now, i'm pretty happy w/ my 19 (as long as i don't compare it to my other valks :rolleyes:)... esp. after fiddling with it some, i've managed to figure out how to put it back snugly in fighter mode even w/ the FPs on and w/out anything popping off or getting loose. i can even hold it by the side of its legs and swoosh it around some :). of course i'm always scared sh!tless whenever somebody reports a problem...

Edited by m0n5t3r

I'm a little confused, did Yamato make a v2.0 YF-19 in the 1/60 scale? If so, then I apologize for the mistake. :)

Not exactly. I think the correct term would be maybe "second wave" or re-release with corrected issues. I believe there was crooked gunpod issue. The "v2" was the the version that came bundled with the fold booster set.

I think the major thing is to fix the looseness issues. Chest locking only affects the battroid fans, so I could care less =P j/k

It wouldn't cost them a lot to do just that, and they can reuse the mold for the most part. Throw in a refreshing paint scheme (not those uninspired palette swaps) and I'm in.

Would buy one if it remained perfect variable, killed off the thick gullet, had a sleeker fighter mode, and thicker, anime-accurate battroid mode.

People say "oh that's not possible bla bla", well no one expected the 1/48 after seeing the v1 1/60 VF-1. No one thought Yamato would take a stab at the YF-21 in 1/60 after the 1/72 FP version.

Yamato has shown that they can make huge advancements in a relatively short time. So yes I think they can make a much better YF-19 toy and if it had the improvements I mentioned, I'd buy it. Of the 3 Macross Plus releases in 1/60 scale, it's the only one I don't want currently(though the anime design is my favorite of the 3).

I probably wouldn't buy a YF-19 unless they came out with a true version 2. throw out the existing design entirely, fix the terrible proportions, add some actual locking mechanism's, redesign the hips for better possibility, add some extras (internal missile bays etc.), and ship the thing without a bunch of stupid design and construction mistakes.

Sorry my bad. I forgot that Yamato's first YF-19 was like a 1/72 scale or something. So at 1/60 scale it would be a V2.0. Sorry about that I am an idiot! :lol:

Edited by logos

I probably wouldn't buy a YF-19 unless they came out with a true version 2. throw out the existing design entirely, fix the terrible proportions, add some actual locking mechanism's, redesign the hips for better possibility, add some extras (internal missile bays etc.), and ship the thing without a bunch of stupid design and construction mistakes.

Yep same here.

They'd have to do something really amazing with it to make me want one. I can get 3 VF-1 for the price of a YF19 and I am not a particular fan of the design. Might scoop one up if the new colors cause its price to drop.

I'm looking at my YF-19, and because it's tied for my favorite design (along with the VF-1), I'm disappointed that it has a lot of flaws. No locking chest mode (which still escapes me as to why), the gullet (which the VF-11 captured the sleekness perfectly), the crotch piece that seems soo wide, the legs look like the 19 is walking bull-legged, and the floppiness of the parts after transformations. I really hope Yamato redoes this.

Do you think it's even possible? Would Yamato do this because I'd love to get a more accurate and more durable version of the YF-19.

Yes. I"d buy the version that's out now. I've always wanted one ever since i found out they made em. The only compliant I've heard that would erk me is the lack of a locking mechanism in the chest for battleroid.

EDIT:

also what's the gullet issue that ppl are talking about?

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

I can think of one way to actually make the legs thinner and sleeker in fightermode while also making them bigger and bulkier in battroid. However the plastic would probably end up alittle thinner and more on the fragile side because the mid section needs to be pushed into the leg so that the front and back halves can be pushed together.

This would probably give less room for the landing gear but if it rotates like the 21 or 11 it doesn't really need a whole lot of room.

I'd get another one if it was a blazer valk. I really like the YF-19 ever since Mac+. The design to me is one of the best in the MAcross series. A guy can really get sick of the VF-1. But hey.....if the anime is hot. I might buy the toy. Thats how it works for me anyway. For all of its so called flaws. Its still the coolest one in my display case.