Iron Man 2 (Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow!)

EXO

<!--quoteo(post=848640:date=May 4 2010, 12:03 AM:name=dreamweaver13)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dreamweaver13 @ May 4 2010, 12:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=848640"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So basically, it was Samuel Jackson playing Samuel Jackson. Man, how easy to earn money in hollywood these days. lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I heard Marvel payed a s***load of money to use his like-ness and then they paid more to be in later IM sequels and the Avengers. That's bad a** MoFo!

Meh...I personally prefer the original Nick Fury. What's with Marvel reinventing their characters by changing their ethnicities? Lame.

Meh...I personally prefer the original Nick Fury. What's with Marvel reinventing their characters by changing their ethnicities? Lame.

Black Fury is from the Ultimates universe. A lot was different there.

Just got back from Iron Man 2 and had another good time at the movies. This sequel wasn't nearly as tight as the first film, but it was almost as enjoyable. I found the acting in the sequel was great all around, the action was tense and exciting and the humor was genuinely funny. The action was definitely a lot more satisfying in this film than the first, owing to a lot more interesting and comparable villains for Iron Man to face. The middle of the film tended to drag but the performances really carried a lot of weight for the film. Sam Rockwell was perfect as the impotent and yet dangerous conniving contemporary to Stark, Rourke was sufficiently menacing as Vanko, Cheadle was very convincing as brooding and conflicted Rhody and Gwenyth Paltrow was yet again a great plucky and sarcastic foil for Downey. Speaking of which, Downey owns this role yet again in the sequel, balancing humor, wit and vulnerability in sumptuous portions. I also have to say I was surprised by Scarlett Johansen's performance and character arc as well. At first she seemed disposable eye candy, but the role became much more and grew into a worthwhile addition to the film by time the finale came along. And what a finale, delivering on all levels including the personal story between characters.

As criticism of the film I would say the nods to the larger marvel universe were too numerous and too intrusive. At times the film was nearly derailed by exposition and setup for other marvel films yet to come. I'm sure this kind of stuff could have been saved for the Avengers film itself. Unless Marvel expects everyone to watch all the individual hero films as back story and hit the ground running the Avengers film. These interludes were also a big part of why the film felt disjointed and slow in the mid point. Other than that, a few times the melodrama went a little too far and the score only exacerbated the problem. It felt like they were trying too hard to go bigger and more dramatic when the film would have been just fine without the excess.

I'd give Iron Man 2 a 7 out of 10. Not the best sequel I've ever seen but definitely above my admittedly low expectations after ruminating on the trailers for months.

Edited by Mr March

I actually found Sam Rockwell's character a bit annoying and over the top, otherwise, i found the rest of the cast played well off of each other. I think the biggest problem was just pacing, it felt like it dragged in some parts and then got rushed at the end, i was hoping for something a bit more strung out with whiplash, similar to IM1's fight with the iron monger.

I like it. The story made sense to me. The made Tony Stark seem more human. In the sense of he he can be hurt and he can die. He is a jerk but has a heart of gold underneath it all.Do witsh they had used the opening scene shown in trailers. The cg was excellent. The humor seem natural and not forced. The final fight with whiplash could have been longer but it was two against one. One who knew the capabilities of the technology and the other who knew how to fight.

The casting was dead on. Micky Rourke as whiplash was good choice. He was menacing he wasn't over the top and he had the look. Don Cheadle replacing Terrance Howard was necessary . I don't think Howard would have been able to go from serious to silly and have it sound natural as Cheadle.Sam Rockwell as Stark's nemesis worked. Not as cool or sly as stark and just can't get it all together on his own.

Nick Fury's casting was spot on for . Since they're going with a mix of the regular and ultimate universe.

I say its a 8.5 out of 10.

Could have been longer but too long and it would have been a hinderance

Edit:

Also the lack of a Russian accent for black widow was a good thing.

As criticism of the film I would say the nods to the larger marvel universe were too numerous and too intrusive. At times the film was nearly derailed by exposition and setup for other marvel films yet to come. I'm sure this kind of stuff could have been saved for the Avengers film itself. Unless Marvel expects everyone to watch all the individual hero films as back story and hit the ground running the Avengers film. These interludes were also a big part of why the film felt disjointed and slow in the mid point. Other than that, a few times the melodrama went a little too far and the score only exacerbated the problem. It felt like they were trying too hard to go bigger and more dramatic when the film would have been just fine without the excess.

I would rather have several character introduced over a series of movies; instead of having them introduced all at once(like Spider-man 3).

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

I like all the nods to the other Marvel characters. It's great for world building and letting the audience know that there's a bigger super-powered world beyond what they're watching now. Yes, it is possible to go too far with it and have it be more of a distraction than a benefit, but I think it'll really pay off for the Avengers movie as long as they keep it reasonable.

Just got back from seeing it. Was a fun movie but the two Iron-Men seemed kinda silly power range type stuff to me. Too many mini-plots in the movie that had nothing to do with the story as they had to do with promote other future Marvel Movies. Thor, Captain America and the Avengers.

I do have one major complaint! When ever the actors were wearing the Iron-Men suits they looked about 7 feet tall. Yet in the end Tony is just tall enough to kiss Pepper.

I do have one major complaint! When ever the actors were wearing the Iron-Men suits they looked about 7 feet tall. Yet in the end Tony is just tall enough to kiss Pepper.

She was standing on a couple of phone books. :p

It has been stated that the suits are close to like 7 or 8 feet tall, yes to accommodate the propulsion system for flight and what not.

that's not possible. Robert downey is 5'9", you're telling me the iron man boots have a foot and a half heels?

And the shots of him interacting with other people, he certainly didn't look like pau gasol to me.

that's not possible. Robert downey is 5'9", you're telling me the iron man boots have a foot and a half heels?

And the shots of him interacting with other people, he certainly didn't look like pau gasol to me.

Willing to bet the helmet gives some hight too, especially if you notice how spacious it is during the internal hud shots.

That's actually IMHO among the biggest reality-breakers in the films for me---the helmet looks skin-tight when it's actually put on (where does his nose fit?) but there's plenty of space when we get an 'internal' view.

The other big reality break, the 2mm thick suitcase armor, no way it could have been more then paper thickness to fit into that suitcase, yet it can resist those whips that cut through cars and engine blocks like butter. Does IM have valkyrie SWAG armor? Though I did like that the reactor in Tony's chest was giving him radiation poisoning and was slowly killing him, nice touch.

Though I did like that the reactor in Tony's chest was giving him radiation poisoning and was slowly killing him, nice touch.

It wasn't radiation poisoning though, it was heavy metal poisoning. the Palladium that fueled the reactor was leaching into his bloodstream.

Can't believe no one is upset that War Machines mini-gun ammo belt is fed by Don Cheadle's backside.

actually that did bug me while I was watching the movie. where the hell is all the ammo he's using coming from?

Willing to bet the helmet gives some hight too, especially if you notice how spacious it is during the internal hud shots.

an inch or two maybe but there isn't like a half a foot of metal on top of Tony's head.

In the behind the scenes stuff on the first movie they stated the suit is 8 feet tall. True it doesn't seem accurate when he is on screen with other people but that's what was stated back then.

The other big reality break, the 2mm thick suitcase armor, no way it could have been more then paper thickness to fit into that suitcase

Everyone just has to ignore that. It doesn't even work in the comics like that. (plus, shouldn't that be like a 1500lb suitcase if it's a full suit, compacted down?)

Saw it tonight finally. Great movie, as good as the first at least. There was some scenes/shots that were iffy but really it wasn't bad.

Scarlett Johansson was HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT. Definitely wasn't enough of her in the movie. The Hammeroids (lulz) were pretty cool, I hope they pump out some figures of each type because I would totally buy multiples of them.

And War Machine. War Machine was pure awesomecross.

All in all, good movie. Can't wait for the next one.

That's actually IMHO among the biggest reality-breakers in the films for me---the helmet looks skin-tight when it's actually put on (where does his nose fit?) but there's plenty of space when we get an 'internal' view.

Tony Stark is really a Time Lord? ;)

Thats that stupid pov camera. they used something like it in max payne. Its a really useless view to me.

where the hell is all the ammo he's using coming from?

Vector trap.

I saw it last weekend and thought it was worth the price of admission. I may try to go see it on IMAX later.

One thing that I didn't quite understand. During the first fight scene where Vanko fights suitcase armoer IM

we see Happy smash Vanko with the car. I wasn't sure how he wasn't crushed by that since his "armor" seemed to be a very minmial exo-skelatal frame work. How was he protected?

I saw it last weekend and thought it was worth the price of admission. I may try to go see it on IMAX later.

One thing that I didn't quite understand. During the first fight scene where Vanko fights suitcase armoer IM

we see Happy smash Vanko with the car. I wasn't sure how he wasn't crushed by that since his "armor" seemed to be a very minmial exo-skelatal frame work. How was he protected?

Comic book magic