Iron Man 2 (Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow!)

EXO

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20090312/en_movies_eo/103998

Scarlett Johansson has signed on to play Black Widow.

Los Angeles (E! Online) – Scarlett Johansson is joining the superhero set.

Her rep confirms that the actress has signed on to play Black Widow in the Iron Man sequel opposite Robert Downey Jr. The deal was signed this afternoon.

"Scarlett is thrilled to be a part of Iron Man," her rep, Marcel Pariseau, tells me.

Meanwhile, after months of negotiations...

The Wrestler's comeback kid Mickey Rourke has finally sealed a deal to play the villain Whiplash, according to Variety.

Rourke's team had reportedly held out for more money after Marvel's initial offer was just $250,000.

Scheduled for a May 2010 release, part two of the franchise will also include Gwyneth Paltrow returning as Pepper Potts along with Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Don Cheadle playing Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes.

Hrm...while I loved the first movie I'm having a hard time getting excited for part 2. Almost sounds like too many villains, unless some of them are just brief cameos. I'm also having a hard time accepting Micky Rourke in the film because I really don't like him at all.

And I was hoping for some cheesy Mandarin action. :p

Jon has stated the he is purposely holding off on the Mandarin. He wants him to be a shadowy figure within the background of the story and then use IM 3 for Mandarin. You can tell by the allusion to him within the 10 Rings terrorist organization in the first film. After seeing how well the first film turned out I am sure they know what they are doing. The Dark Knight had 3 villians, 1 main, 2 side ones and was perfectly fine. They never said in the new Iron Man film how much screen time or story is actually going to be sent on each one. From what I can tell Mickey Rouke will be the head bad guy and use Black Widow to infiltrate Stark Industries since both characters are Russian. It makes the most sense to me anyway.

Jon has stated the he is purposely holding off on the Mandarin. He wants him to be a shadowy figure within the background of the story and then use IM 3 for Mandarin. You can tell by the allusion to him within the 10 Rings terrorist organization in the first film. After seeing how well the first film turned out I am sure they know what they are doing. The Dark Knight had 3 villians, 1 main, 2 side ones and was perfectly fine. They never said in the new Iron Man film how much screen time or story is actually going to be sent on each one. From what I can tell Mickey Rouke will be the head bad guy and use Black Widow to infiltrate Stark Industries since both characters are Russian. It makes the most sense to me anyway.

Cool, so we'll probably see more allusions to Mandarin in the second one then. Good point on the Dark Knight working wilth multiple villains - I guess I'm still a bit apprehensive of multiple villians after the older Batman movies. :D I agree that they probably know what they're doing. I loved IM1, it was my favorite action film last year (yes, even more so than TDK) so nothing will keep me away from part 2.

Too many villians? I count Blackla... er, "Whiplash." The Black Widow maybe, but I'm thinking that she'll be part of SHIELD so they can have her in the Avengers movie later.

Speaking of Black Widow, I was ready to complain that I didn't think she'd fit the role... but then I looked at the photo in the linked story. Yeah... I'm in.

Scarlett Johansson!!! Great actress, shes hot, love her!!! I think she'll do great in Iron Man II!!!

""Rourke's team had reportedly held out for more money after Marvel's initial offer was just $250,000."" Dam Marvel got cheap on his ass!!!

Scarlett Johansson!!! Great actress, shes hot, love her!!! I think she'll do great in Iron Man II!!!

""Rourke's team had reportedly held out for more money after Marvel's initial offer was just $250,000."" Dam Marvel got cheap on his ass!!!

The offer might have been pre-Wrestler, when Rourke was only worth about a buck-fiddy.

She was a soviet super spy who defects and becomes a sometime SHIELD operative. She's supposed to be a world class athlete and weapons master... she's supposed to be someone who can hold her own against the likes of Captain America, Daredevil, Wolverine and the other big boys of the marvel universe.

I think Scarlett would have been AWESOME for black cat but I'd like to have seen someone more athletic and intimidating for the widow.

Would have preferred someone who can act.

My problem with Scarlet Johaneson is just the opposite.

I think she's a fabulous actress. I loved her in Lost in Translation, and I thought she was supreme in Woody Allen's Scoop (great movie, by the way, for anyone who likes her - go check it out!).

Sadly, I find her completely unattractive.

Now, Iron Man seems to be a movie that could use some attractive girls whose acting skills are not up to par.

Que Jennifer Aniston.

I'd rather watch her.

Pete

I think Scarlett would have been AWESOME for black cat but I'd like to have seen someone more athletic and intimidating for the widow.

Emily Blunt was originally cast for the part but had a scheduling conflict and dropped out.

If we just want attractive girls in a movie with things blowing up left & right, lets just get Michael Bay to direct!!!! :p

but in this case, it's the attractive girl blowing things up... misogynist Bay usually likes his attractive women screaming and playing the victim.

My problem with Scarlet Johaneson is just the opposite.

I think she's a fabulous actress. I loved her in Lost in Translation, and I thought she was supreme in Woody Allen's Scoop (great movie, by the way, for anyone who likes her - go check it out!).

Sadly, I find her completely unattractive.

Now, Iron Man seems to be a movie that could use some attractive girls whose acting skills are not up to par.

Que Jennifer Aniston.

I'd rather watch her.

Pete

She can only "act" when she is playing herself, as in Lost in Translation and Ghost World. Try choking down any movie where she is pretending to be someone else, like Black Dahlia. She's HORRIBLE.

but in this case, it's the attractive girl blowing things up... misogynist Bay usually likes his attractive women screaming and playing the victim.

Indeed. I hear there is a special 'golden shower' scene in Transformers 2 involving Bumblebee and the character played by that man-faced chick.

I'm glad Gwynny is coming back for IM2. She makes a great PP.

Indeed. I hear there is a special 'golden shower' scene in Transformers 2 involving Bumblebee and the character played by that man-faced chick.

I'm glad Gwynny is coming back for IM2. She makes a great PP.

Agreed, Gwyneth Paltrow and Robert were awesome together. I hope scarlett doesn't drag down her scenes in IM2 like she did in the Prestige.

Would have preferred someone who can act.

Agreed. She might look all nice and pretty onscreen but she can't act and is ultimately booooooring.

Anybody see her in the Prestige? Mein Gott! She stuffed that up big time!

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

She can only "act" when she is playing herself, as in Lost in Translation and Ghost World. Try choking down any movie where she is pretending to be someone else, like Black Dahlia. She's HORRIBLE.

I think the problem was that the whole damn movie was AWFUL. Black Dahlia was one of those movies where it's so inherently bad that it makes everyone in it look awful even when their not. sort of like Francis Ford Coppola's version of Dracula, a movie so bad it even made Anthony Hopkins look like a bad actor.

I think the problem was that the whole damn movie was AWFUL. Black Dahlia was one of those movies where it's so inherently bad that it makes everyone in it look awful even when their not. sort of like Francis Ford Coppola's version of Dracula, a movie so bad it even made Anthony Hopkins look like a bad actor.

Excellent example of how to make a good actor/actress look bad.

I liked her in the Prestige, and thought that film was a phenomenal and seamless sum of its parts.

I'm looking forward to this alot, and think she's a solid choice... I'm not sure how some of you guys can suggest Anisten for the part. Widow needs a heavy Rooskie accent, and I'm assuming she'll be bad in the movie and turn to our side in the end like she does in the comics so she can be a part of SHIELD for the Avengers movies, which I'm willing to bet will be MUCH closer to the Ultimates portrayal than the classic comics anyway. Rourke as Blacklash is solid too... he's big and ugly. The real question is who will play Boris alongside Natasha?

If we just want attractive girls in a movie with things blowing up left & right, lets just get Michael Bay to direct!!!! :p

Micheal Bay presents...

A Micheal Bay film...

Micheal Bay's Girls With Grenades!

Coming to theaters April 2012.

Micheal Bay presents...

A Micheal Bay film...

Micheal Bay's Girls With Grenades!

Coming to theaters April 2012.

I'd watch it if it were anything like Barbed Wire with Pamela Anderson :)

But in general, nothing will ever beat Sasha Cohen's Ali-G spoof of a James Bond movie. He shows only a few minutes of it to a producer, but if you can find the whole thing on Youtube - it is golden. And the girls are hot :)

Pete

I guess Scarlett could work, I have no real opinion either way. I was surprised at how good Gwyneth Paltrow was as Pepper Potts. I'm looking forward to Don Cheadle as Rhodey. I felt like there was something missing with Terrance Howard in the role (even though the character didn't have much to do in the movie anyway).

Loved the first one, hit all the marks for a superhero movie (even though it felt like a giant Audi, Dell, BK commercial at times, nature of the beast) and eagerly anticipate the second one.