It must be just me, but I really don't like Ridde, a whiny bitch no matter how you look at it. But with our luck, he'll probably survive the series.

It's pretty interesting though to see how the Zeons fared with those old suits, they didn't do too badly all things considered.

I thought the fed group the "titans" were suposed to eliminate the Zeon holdouts after 0083 why are their still zeon units with vintage suits still active on earth? I know the Titans whent nuts and were put down like a rabid dog, but didn't they do their jod in the beginning?

I thought the fed group the "titans" were suposed to eliminate the Zeon holdouts after 0083 why are their still zeon units with vintage suits still active on earth? I know the Titans whent nuts and were put down like a rabid dog, but didn't they do their jod in the beginning?

Oh, they were supposed to do that, but they only made the problem worse by being a bunch of rabid dogs. Gassing colonies has a tendency to make the spacenoids band together and keep Zeon limping along.

Sorry for the double post, but I just finished watching episode 4.

Honestly, in terms of combat, I thought this was the best episode out of the 4. All the references and allusions to previous series really made it awesome

What was that one flying EFSF mobile suit that was ripping the zeon forces apart?

In terms of character development though, I REALLY don't like where unicorn is taking Banagher. He started out as just a kid shoved into a mobile suit, being confused, which is understandable. He had REALLY good characterization in the episode just before.

But in EP.4, Banagher seemed more akin to Kira Yamato than anything else, just not as good of a pilot :blink:

Sorry for the double post, but I just finished watching episode 4.

Honestly, in terms of combat, I thought this was the best episode out of the 4. All the references and allusions to previous series really made it awesome

What was that one flying EFSF mobile suit that was ripping the zeon forces apart?

In terms of character development though, I REALLY don't like where unicorn is taking Banagher. He started out as just a kid shoved into a mobile suit, being confused, which is understandable. He had REALLY good characterization in the episode just before.

But in EP.4, Banagher seemed more akin to Kira Yamato than anything else, just not as good of a pilot :blink:

I to was wondering about that uber fed unit it looked like a mutant gundam.

Finally got round to watching the first 2 episodes of the much-hyped Gundam and was severely underwhelmed. I actually fell asleep during both episodes.

As a recent mecha anime, I thought Macross Frontier was better in every single aspect.

Definitely not my cup of tea.

Graham

Finally got round to watching the first 2 episodes of the much-hyped Gundam and was severely underwhelmed. I actually fell asleep during both episodes.

As a recent mecha anime, I thought Macross Frontier was better in every single aspect.

Definitely not my cup of tea.

Graham

Yeah, but you hate Gundam to start with :)

There is no doubt on that last sentence, but still, for a Gundam show, it's a very solid effort, after all, you may not have witnessed the Gundam abortions from the last decade, so everything is relative. Unicorn far outstrips those previous efforts.

Now that said;

I can kind of see the character evolving this way, you have to remember that this is a Gundam show, so it's all about why must we fight? In only a few Gundam shows has the idea of war is bad being relegated to the backseat. This is also par for the course on Gundam shows, it just wouldn't be a normal Gundam show without a teenager who is shoved into a bad situation, and then becomes an idealist in the process.

I will say that all things considered, Banagher is doing what typical Gundam kids do, the only question is whether he'll follow up on things to their logical conclusion like Amuro did, and Amuro ended up doing pretty well... well, actually, I guess he is dead, so not really. :D

Speaking of Gundam characters, I'm always curious to know what the heck ever happened to the other main characters in the UC universe, technically, most of them should still be alive and kicking. 0096 is not even 20 years after the OYW.

I think the animation is much more top knotch than what Frontier did as Frontier relied to much on CGI whereas Unicron does not. I have a stronger appreciation of drawn versus wireframe.

The animation is the same, hand drawn characters with CGI mecha... So I'm not sure what you're talking about.

after all, you may not have witnessed the Gundam abortions from the last decade, so everything is relative. Unicorn far outstrips those previous efforts.

You mean efforts like the ultra successful and very popular Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny, Gundam 00 and the excellent Turn A Gundam ?

The last decade was nothing less than the most successful era for the Gundam franchise. Both in terms of money and popularity.

Just saying...

Edited by Castel

Yeah, but exploiting current trends and themes in order to appeal to new viewers and be financially successful isn't the same as actually being worthy to UC-fixated old curmudgeons like me. :lol:

But don't include Turn A in that list... it's still Tomino, and it is excellent. Now where's that North American release they were promising? ;)

Speaking of Gundam characters, I'm always curious to know what the heck ever happened to the other main characters in the UC universe, technically, most of them should still be alive and kicking. 0096 is not even 20 years after the OYW.

Well afaik Kamille recovers in double zeta and goes on to becomes a doctor, Judau goes to Jupiter and makes it big as a helium salesman, and Amuro is dead/missing. I still don't understand why they didn't bring back Judau and Kamille for CCA. Judau could have been the re-gz pilot and Kamille could have replaced Gyunei and that would have made the movie much better.

Well afaik Kamille recovers in double zeta and goes on to becomes a doctor, Judau goes to Jupiter and makes it big as a helium salesman, and Amuro is dead/missing. I still don't understand why they didn't bring back Judau and Kamille for CCA. Judau could have been the re-gz pilot and Kamille could have replaced Gyunei and that would have made the movie much better.

Never happen, Fa would have beat Kamille senseless even he ever tried getting back into a mobile suit.

I can understand how 00 is popular, but not SEED.

Simple, pretty characters and flashy Gundams.

But seriously, SEED universe actually has potential. It's just lacking in execution.

Never happen, Fa would have beat Kamille senseless even he ever tried getting back into a mobile suit.

And Judau would not interested because it's not profitable for him.

You mean efforts like the ultra successful and very popular Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny, Gundam 00 and the excellent Turn A Gundam ?

The last decade was nothing less than the most successful era for the Gundam franchise. Both in terms of money and popularity.

Just saying...

Didn't see Turn A, actually had heard a few decent things about a good story line. But G:S and G:SD are basically rehash, and as for 00, I liked it for just the first few episodes, and then it got old. Bring back the less whiney pilots, please.

Bring back the less whiny pilots, please.

Setsuna from 00 is far from whiney.

In fact, when you think about it, the stereotypical whiny teen pilots are mostly in UC TV series. I mean kids who reluctant and refuse to fight at first. Amuro, Kamille, Judau, and Usso all share the same traits. AU pilots are more diverse, with exception of Loran and Kira as "I don't want to fight" characters. Let's see:

-Domon (G): Hot-blooded, and not a teenage anyway

-Heero (W): Silent lone soldier type

-Garrod (X): Cheerful and enthusiastic

-Shinn (Destiny): Closer to angsty than whiny

-Setsuna (00): Same as Heero

-Flit (AGE): Eager to pilot without any complaint

Also all those pilots above (except Garrod) are trained and familiar with their Gundam. Flit isn't supposed to pilot the Gundam but he built the damn thing and know it inside out. Not like UC TV series pilots where all the main characters are civilians that stumble upon a Gundam in the first episode (even Unicorn as an OVA also using this cliche). Again, only Loran and Kira being exception here.

When people talk about UC pilots they often use older pilots from OVA/movies such as Shiro Amada or older Amuro as examples. Which is unfair for me because a TV series should be compared with another TV series, due to target audience and things like that. And no AU has any OVAs or any animated production dedicated to older fans like UC.

So when you said "bring back", you mean "more civilian kids accidentally fall into the cockpit and reluctantly piloting it" :p

But seriously, SEED universe actually has potential. It's just lacking in execution.

Execute SEED's potential properly, and you have the original Gundam. Spacenoids attack colony where Federation is secretly developing Mobile Suits and a ship to carry them? Check. Colony is destroyed during the battle? Check. Civilian kid pilots hero Suit? Check (but to be fair, that's pretty much EVERY Gundam). Ship goes running to asteroid base and finds less than a friendly welcome? Check. Ship then goes to Earth? Check. Ship winds up coming down in enemy-controlled territory? Check. Winds up fighting in the desert? Check. Your around a third of the way through the series before SEED stops copying its plot directly from first Gundam, and by the time they start doing anything original you just stopped caring.

Execute SEED's potential properly, and you have the original Gundam. Spacenoids attack colony where Federation is secretly developing Mobile Suits and a ship to carry them? Check. Colony is destroyed during the battle? Check. Civilian kid pilots hero Suit? Check (but to be fair, that's pretty much EVERY Gundam). Ship goes running to asteroid base and finds less than a friendly welcome? Check. Ship then goes to Earth? Check. Ship winds up coming down in enemy-controlled territory? Check. Winds up fighting in the desert? Check. Your around a third of the way through the series before SEED stops copying its plot directly from first Gundam, and by the time they start doing anything original you just stopped caring.

Correction, by the time they stop copying Gundam, they move on to copying Zeta :)

Execute SEED's potential properly, and you have the original Gundam.

I specifically mentioned universe. As in the setting, genetic manipulation issue, the yet-unexplained SEED factor, that winged space whale fossil, etc. Oh, and the characters too. Some are interesting and have potential. But then, I don't have any problem with SEED copied elements and plot.

Civilian kid pilots hero Suit? Check (but to be fair, that's pretty much EVERY Gundam).

That is true for SEED, but saying it's like EVERY Gundam is generalization. Like I've posted above, many AU main characters started up not as civilian but a member of either proper military or underground organization. And if we add UC OVAs and side-stories, the number of trained people exceed those accidental pilots.

Your around a third of the way through the series before SEED stops copying its plot directly from first Gundam, and by the time they start doing anything original you just stopped caring.

Well I care. It's not like everything in that first third is 100% copied anyway :rolleyes: . There are new stuff added to complicate the matters (for better or worse). SEED was supposed to attract new generation of fans, for those people SEED storyline is entirely new. And the similarity with first Gundam can also attract older fans as well, if they use correct mindset such as "Let's see what SEED's take on this desert arc. I wonder how this Waltfeld compared to Ramba Ral,"; not just glancing over the general plot and said "Meh, what a rehash. I don't care,".

Can we try to keep this Unicorn-centric cuz if you wanna go on about Gundam shows copying each other, we got a thread for that.

http://www.macrosswo...showtopic=18457

I saw the new episode of Unicorn. I'm having a hard time following it, though. Too much time between episodes; I forget what's going on. Banagher and the Zeon captain were in the desert for some time before I could even recall how Banagher wound up with the Grancerias crew in the first place.