I need some prayers over here guys

sqidd

Alright everyone, I need your help here. My best friend and Boxer named Ootis had his eyes turn yellow on me this morning so I rushed him to the vet. It’s one of two things. Liver failure, which means he is already dead. Or gall stones which are theoretically treatable. I just got the first blood test back and it does hold some hope because the numbers associated with his gall bladder are off the chart, but so are his liver function numbers. The former could cause the latter and it is less likely that the latter causes the former. I am taking him in for an ultrasound at 2:00 to check his gall bladder and get the final diagnosis.

This dog is my best friend. We have not been separated since the day I picked him up at 6 weeks old. He has been going to work with me for his entire life. He is currently 7 going on 8. He is the sweetest, most communicative and friendly dog in the world. He loves nothing more than to cuddle up next to you on the couch, lay his head in your lap and watch TV. He always has a smile on his face and has never, ever been a problem.

Please, can everyone say a prayer for my buddy? I can’t stand seeing him go through this.

Thanks

Jason

Here he is shredding empty boxes, his favorite sport.

normal_ootie.JPG

My doggies and I are hoping that your doggie recovers. Mine have also had some health problems as of late, so I can understand that you could use some support. Hang in there, and hope for the best.

Ouch. My cockatiel died in April and it broke my heart, so I feel for you, man. I can only offer you this advice: I regret nothing more than leaving my bird with the vet for the last 3 days of her life. She deserved to be home, where she was happy. Anyway, I hope Ootis pulls through!

I have four dogs and about seven cats.

My oldest cat was TWENTY ONE!!! When he died - I had him since I was like 6 years old, and he traveled across the Atlantic from America to Europe with me, and moved about a million times.

My oldest dog now is a beagle - she's 14 (Beagles are supposed to live roughly 10 years) - and doing fine. My youngest dog (also a beagle) is approaching his third birthday (Christmas day!)...

I hope Ootis pulls through.

Pete

I know how you feel. My beagle died from heart disease but he did live a total of 17 years.

My prayers are out for Ootis.

(Medicine Buddha Mantra: Tayata Om Bekandze Bekandze Maha Bekandze Bekandze Radza Samudgate Soha).

My heart & thoughts go out to you and your canine buddy. Hope the tests come back promising...

I remember how rough it was losing my pup. I told her, "I'll see you next week, and you can get hair all over my tux before the wedding." She almost hopped in the car with me before I drove off. I kept her from doing so and left. Last I ever saw her. Still got hair on my tux, though. :(

Edited by Kelsain

Good luck with the dog. We lost our dog a few months ago (and when I say lost, I mean that the neighbours jumped the fence, opened out gate and either let our dog out or took it god knows where, bloody bastards) and so I know how tough it is to be facing a possible loss. Just be brave.

Taksraven

Alright everyone, I need your help here. My best friend and Boxer named Ootis had his eyes turn yellow on me this morning so I rushed him to the vet. It’s one of two things. Liver failure, which means he is already dead. Or gall stones which are theoretically treatable. I just got the first blood test back and it does hold some hope because the numbers associated with his gall bladder are off the chart, but so are his liver function numbers. The former could cause the latter and it is less likely that the latter causes the former. I am taking him in for an ultrasound at 2:00 to check his gall bladder and get the final diagnosis.

This dog is my best friend. We have not been separated since the day I picked him up at 6 weeks old. He has been going to work with me for his entire life. He is currently 7 going on 8. He is the sweetest, most communicative and friendly dog in the world. He loves nothing more than to cuddle up next to you on the couch, lay his head in your lap and watch TV. He always has a smile on his face and has never, ever been a problem.

Please, can everyone say a prayer for my buddy? I can’t stand seeing him go through this.

Thanks

Jason

Here he is shredding empty boxes, his favorite sport.

normal_ootie.JPG

I know how you feel Jason, when I walked into class this morning I was greeted with news that the speech fellow had passed away over the weekend, it was a hard day in the adjunct office, so I'll be praying both for you and Gus.

Chris

I would like to thank everyone who had my Ootis in their prayers today. Unfortunately the final diagnosis was advanced Lymphoma of the liver and spleen. The Oncologist, trusted family Vet, good friend Dr Addison Tarr and my family decided that putting him through Chemotherapy would only serve to make us feel better and not Ootis. Obviously Ootis’s well being and daily quality of life far outweighs how much we will miss him. At 5:15pm today we put him down. When he slid into what I hope is a wonderful journey for him he was surrounded by all of his loved ones.

Ootis was the best dog anyone could wish for. He was caring, cuddly, spunky and always seemed to know when to clown it up. Over the past two years I have had some issues with depression because of the collapse of my business in 2006. I know it sounds crazy but Ootis helped me through it ever day. When I dearly needed a friend to just be there for me and give me a hug when I was feeling down Ootis always stepped up to the plate. When I was sitting on the couch feeling sorry for myself he was always there to drop toys in my lap so we could play. I’m going to miss his silly smile, his crooked ears, his goofy run and his absolute insistence that when it was bedtime he got to get under the blankets.

Since the day I got him I have spent every minute possible with him. He was my best pal. No dog will ever be able to replace him and he will always be missed more than words could possibly express.

Gods speed Ootis. I love you.

normal_DSCN0645.JPG

It's nice to know that Ootis had great meaning during his time here. And it's also good to know that he was under the care of loving owners. I think Ootis for one is at peace. Thanks Sqidd. Good job Ootis.

Thanks

Jason

I hope, and pray, that things turn out okay for your dog. But if it's his time to go, may his passing be as quick and painless as possible.

I'm sorry for your loss. I don't think people who have formed that kind of bond with a pet really understand how devastating such a loss can be. When I was a kid, maybe four or five, my parents got a kitten. We named him Barney, and Barney took a liking to myself and my mom, hated my brother, and seemed to take a perverse joy in agitating my dad. For the next 18 years, that cat slept on the foot of my bed every night (which was less enjoyable when he was sick and yacked on my feet, but I digress), and he was always at the door to greet me when I got home from school. In his older years, he got a little senile, and scared of being left alone in the dark. Eventually, his health started failing, and he stopped eating. We took him to the vet, and they gave him some medicine that seemed to help for a few weeks. But cats go off to be alone to die, and when my mom found him lying behind the toilet (the bathroom being the room farthest from the rest of the house), my mom realized that trying to keep him alive was just prolonging his suffering. On the day that I was moving out of my parents' house, my mom decided to take him to be put down. I held him for a bit, rubbing his head just behind his ears, and said my goodbyes. Then I set out for my new apartment, and my mom set out with Barney for the vet. Saying goodbye to that cat was harder on my than any other death I'd experienced until my cousin's suicide. And six years later, I still miss him, and my eyes still get misty thinking about him.

You're in my prayers.

Sorry to hear about your loss, dude. This past June, my cousin had to give up his dog after 14 1/2 years because he couldn't bear the pain he was going through. It was sad seeing my cousin pick up Rex and drive him to the shelter.

Over a decade ago, I was devastated when my family's Miniature Pinscher suddenly collapsed and died. She was only six years old when she died of a heart attack. So I know what it's like to lose such a friend.

May he rest in peace.

I am so sorry Jason. May Ootis be happy forever in doggie heaven.

I still have dreams that Jasper (my beagle) who died in 1999 is still alive and I wake up, like, "Oh, Jasper is here!". It is amazing how a another living being can have such a strong effect in our lives, especially when it is not a human. Of course for most of us, our dogs are more dear than many other humans aside from our family. This may sound bizzare and freakish but I still have the tee shirt of mine that he layed down on to die, unwashed, and in storage. It is like some sort of holy relic, a connection to my best friend dog who passed. I am glad that you have shared this with us and it is really heartwarming to read all the support. You are a good frined and a positive member of this community. Blessings....

Since the day I got him I have spent every minute possible with him. He was my best pal. No dog will ever be able to replace him and he will always be missed more than words could possibly express.

I have had several dogs also die/go missing tragically. One german shepherd and two beagles.

My advise to you might sound counter-intuitive, but hopefuly you will hear me out:

Make haste for the pound or kenel or pet shop and get a new dog.

Not to "replace" Ootis, because of course no dog ever will.

But rather, to be able to shower all that love and friendship on a little deserving puppy that is out there right now waiting for an owner who would be as caring as you.

It's not about replacing anybody - it's about making another dog just as happy as you made Ootis by being such a good master.

So - as hard as it might be right now - I think the best thing you can do for yourself, and in memory of Ootis - would be to go out and find a new dog to befriend.

Condolensces,

Pete

Terribly sorry for your loss my friend.

I know exactly how you feel because I lost my dog of fourteen years three weeks ago.

Lemme know if you wanna talk about it on AIM. We'll get you through this.

So sorry, Sqidd. I like to think that, while intense, the grief and sorrow you feel now is only a pale reflection of the joy and happiness that you and Ootis shared. In time, it will be easier to look back at the good times.

VFTFT1, that was a lovely sentiment. It's a good thing I didn't read that before going to Petsmart yesterday, I might've come back with another dang kitteh...

Edited by Kelsain

I have had several dogs also die/go missing tragically. One german shepherd and two beagles.

My advise to you might sound counter-intuitive, but hopefuly you will hear me out:

Make haste for the pound or kenel or pet shop and get a new dog.

Not to "replace" Ootis, because of course no dog ever will.

But rather, to be able to shower all that love and friendship on a little deserving puppy that is out there right now waiting for an owner who would be as caring as you.

It's not about replacing anybody - it's about making another dog just as happy as you made Ootis by being such a good master.

So - as hard as it might be right now - I think the best thing you can do for yourself, and in memory of Ootis - would be to go out and find a new dog to befriend.

Condolensces,

Pete

Good advice. And it's not like all those good memories of Ootis will just disappear with a new dog. I bet Ootis would just want his master to be happy now that he's in a better place than here.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker