LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

This just all seems bad. Evrything that comes out of Hollywood is a compramise, if it has great CGI is is thin on plot or you get crap actors and well Robotech is not a good starting point. I'm like a lot of people who got the taste for macross through Robotech but once you see the true shows you never go back to a half harted piece of garbage. I only thank robotech for introducing Macross and nothing more.

I like others get frustrated at the thought that a new generation of fans will be delt a secound hand not up to scratch hash of a movie and it will be. Too much money needs to be spent to bring this to the big screen as a LA movie and the fact that artistic vision is sure to dominate the whole movie.

I must say I enjoyed the TF LA movie and didn't mind the changes as I was a G1 kid and anything after like cybertron and such looked stuopid to us, so the movie I could except. But again the movie was full of short commings, thin plot, crap acting just to name a few.

The thing I feel the most strongly about is I don't want my macross collection to become worthless because of some stupid half assed actors vision.

The simple solution is for Mr Spiderman to bend over and take a valk where he deserves it. I never new there was so many childhood rapests around lately.

I say Ban The Robotech Movie

I doubt the movie will be set in any establish saga of Robotech. If it is made it could be a new story. Aliens, transforming robots and the name Robotech is all it needs.

That would probably be the best thing for all parties concerned, but I doubt it. The best of all worlds would be a movie set further down the timeline in Robotech, getting away from the original 3 series and telling of a new generation of struggle (my vote would be Earth vs. her colonies but thats just me).

Most likely, as much as I would rather having my eyes torn out and be skull fu&ked, they will make a live-action version of The Macross Saga. Its not like they can't use the almost-Macross mecha from the failed Sentinels animation (Improved Battlepod, Improved Officer's Pod, REF Destroids, etc). The SDF-01 will probably be made into the 'Space Turd' exoskeleton from The Sentinels and Zentraedi (or whatever they want to call the aliens) ships will all be based around that design (including the oddly named SDF-08 design). The aliens probably wont be giants and Minmay will likely never make an appearance (or they will use the codename from The Sentinels, again).

Ah well...

If this turns out to be a starship troopers with alpha fighters I actually wouldn't mind that much. But I would prefer they focus on humans and focus on the crew of the ship if it is going to be based on the zentradi vs the humans, and not just some generic alien race. Because the whole point of needing the giant robot rests with the idea that whoever built the ships may have made them for giants or WERE giants themselves which brings a reason for needing some kind of giant humanoid fighting machine for preparation against an invasion from such beings in the future.

So the only reason people stopped fighting a global war is they were frightened the whole world would get invaded by a much bigger threat. And then....gradually the robots get smaller (the size of the alpha fighters, the use of powered suits for soldiers) as a way to adapt to a new species of alien and fight those swarms of smaller aliens more effectively. Smaller size means you can react quicker against faster-moving targets which are more numerous, and not get flanked or out-manuever so easily due to sheer number.

I can imagine a battroid not being suited for combating invid and can see a smaller, more-manueverable robot for fighting them to be more effective. Basically everything has to have a "reason" so it all makes sense. If they are going to make this a "franchise" they need to take it seriously (plan all that in advance) and not just be motivated by the need to make money now that transformers was popular. My advice is: Don't have the first movie be about alpha fighters but save that stuff for later for when it makes sense to bring the size of the robots down for practical reasons.

Make the first movie be a survival story of humans against giants, with only 1 ship against millions and a lucky punch that kills the head of the snake that forces the mind controlled zentradi to lose because they were so heavily programmed for obedience and can't think for themselves. This is the "underdog story" that is retold to future generations and the ship becomes legendary to other aliens. Like some david vs goliath battle.

Second is about "post apoc" battles because the earth was destroyed and maybe rick is too busy looking to find other planets to live on in case of another mass attack by more rogue zentradi who may phone home for more soliders to finish us off. At this point in time earth isn't as much a priority as humans can live aboard ships and go to other planets, so there is less chance of the earth forces getting the support required, and everything rests on the disobedience of Dana Sterling who always gets into trouble. (kinda like dyson in macross plus a way, or perhaps like the character in Gears of War: yes Marcus Fenix goes to prison but because the military are desperate for skilled soldiers, he gets release to help drive off the enemy. :D Just do that for Dana.)

Third movie tells us about how nobody really gives a poo about earth anymore (people forget what was so good about it) and humans prefer living on mars now. But they want to protect earth anyway so it needs to be cleared of bugs. (make this the most scary and violent of the movies - being clawed by the invid and tortured and experimented on is like getting gutted by a queen alien in the aliens movies: the insects are the most powerful and deadly of the three that come near earth) Humans are more destructive this time and will go as far as bombing their own kind just to show the aliens we would prefer death to being slaves. (and unlike the first war we have humans on other planets now so it's not going to make us extinct :D) Invid escape, humans think they've won, but then they "look at the cost of the war" and are reminded of what earth once was and decide to live there again. Scott will decide "I'm going to go live on earth and become a farmer, and quit being a lonely soldier boy after witnessing what the higher ups have done by bombing it." (he becomes less one dimensional in the movie version and less of an apeface to all the other characters who he likes to boss around. He will continue to fight but not for the bosses, just for himself. Stick wasn't to me a very interesting character in mospeada to me. I don't think him leaving a hot chick behind on earth so coldly all by herself as all the other characters in the story all have happy endings, is an ending audiences would like and they'd end up hating Stick the same way people hate Cloud in final fantasy 7.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Maybe because they don't have the rights to make such a movie?

I wasn't aware 'based off of' meant 'carbon copy' (for lack of better words). One can't rename the SDF-1 to something else and make it look different? :p

As I said, this might have nothing to do with Macross (or it could actually be heavily influenced by it) but the fact of the matter is that, this movie will only bring success and more POWER to HG, and that will bring evil to this world. Not only will HG not go bankrupt for a few decades, but they´ll spawn a whole new generation of brainwashed robocrap fans u_u.

I know this won't change anything for Macross , but fighting a rich and powerful HG does not seem any better than fighting them as they're now.

Edited by Aegis!

Hmmmm......for a movie I'd say "HAH! This is gonna blow"...but if it were a Miniseries done in a fashion like BSG only less dialouge and a little more action....I'd probably watch it even if chubby tobey is Rick Hunter.

I doubt the movie will be set in any establish saga of Robotech. If it is made it could be a new story. Aliens, transforming robots and the name Robotech is all it needs.

Which is the point I've been explaining since yesterday.

It's going to be based off RT, not Macross. It won't look like RT '85 or Macross. Should this thing ever be made, we will probably hear the same complaints from the RT crowd that the Trans-fans made when Bay-formers came out.

On licensing issues? What licensing issues? There's no script/screenplay, no designs, nothing. Even then, where does BW come into this? This is about RT, not Macross.

Which is the point I've been explaining since yesterday.

It's going to be based off RT, not Macross. It won't look like RT '85 or Macross. Should this thing ever be made, we will probably hear the same complaints from the RT crowd that the Trans-fans made when Bay-formers came out.

On licensing issues? What licensing issues? There's no script/screenplay, no designs, nothing. Even then, where does BW come into this? This is about RT, not Macross.

Stop trying to use your foul logic and reasoning... I want more emo posts based on fanboy fanaticism!

Edited by eugimon

I just want to know how they're gonna pull off the special effects on the film, especially in the scenes where the SDF-1 is erected and where it rises to the occasion and uses the Daedalus maneuver to fist Zentraedi ships. Or where it penetrates through Dolza's ship - that's gotta take a lot of work to render in live-action.

For the exact same reasons that Transformers was a reboot, this will be a story reboot as well. It'll most likely take place in a suedo contemporary era, most likely involve the gulf war as a backdrop for the origins. Something like an alien ship crashed in Iraq, and soldiers were really over there trying to claim a downed ship, or something inane like that. Hell, perhaps they'll pull the old area 51 thing, and have the ship being re-constructed underground for 50 years.

The cast/characters will almost assuredly be entirely american, or at least 90% so. As others have said, the "veritechs" will likely be F-22's, or something simliar, likely only with 2 transformations, if any. They may go the route of having them be non-transformable giant robots.

As for the rest, this si perfect hollywood fodder. Due to the rights issues, they have a free pass to completely re-write the base story. For once this totally works in their favor. I wouldn't expect any major story similarities aside from character names. The name Zentradi would almost assuredly have to go. In fact most things regarding the Zentradi will have to tread on very light ground. Likely they'll scrap them all together, in place of "the robotech masters," or "the invid." The more I think about this, the more a suedo Macross styled story, with Mospeada styled aliens makes sense. That way HG can still keep their shadow chronicles tie in with little canon problem.

As for this whole mess being bad for Macross, I totally disagree. This is one of the best things to happen in the U.S. for Macross in quite a while. If Big West has indeed hammered out their claims over the intellectual property in Japan, then chances are Funimation, ADV, or Bandai visual will make long necessary licensing attempt on a Macross series to test the waters. If there's one thing that's certain in the entertainment business, it's that is something potentially popular is on the horizon, then things similar to it will be bought up to ride that sales wave. We may actually get DYRL or Zero out of this, not to mention the new series. And dare I dream 7? :)

Stop trying to use your foul logic and reasoning... I want more emo posts based on fanboy fanaticism!

I thought the thread would at least degrade into more funny photoshoped memes of spider valks and kitties instead of just the usual battying about Robotech.

Sometimes I wonder if they give you special points in MW for overreactive battying. Can you trade them off for Yamato valks?

I mean, if this already had a budged of a measly 50 million I would see a reason for pessimism.

Edited by Twoducks

I thought the thread would at least degrade into more funny photoshoped memes of spider valks and kitties instead of just the usual battying about Robotech.

Sometimes I wonder if they give you special points in MW for overreactive battying. Can you trade them off for Yamato valks?

I mean, if this already had a budged of a measly 50 million I would see a reason for pessimism.

I almost want a polarizing director to be attached to this project so we can get some proper self righteous moral indignation action going.

For the exact same reasons that Transformers was a reboot, this will be a story reboot as well. It'll most likely take place in a suedo contemporary era, most likely involve the gulf war as a backdrop for the origins. Something like an alien ship crashed in Iraq, and soldiers were really over there trying to claim a downed ship, or something inane like that. Hell, perhaps they'll pull the old area 51 thing, and have the ship being re-constructed underground for 50 years.

The cast/characters will almost assuredly be entirely american, or at least 90% so. As others have said, the "veritechs" will likely be F-22's, or something simliar, likely only with 2 transformations, if any. They may go the route of having them be non-transformable giant robots.

As for the rest, this si perfect hollywood fodder. Due to the rights issues, they have a free pass to completely re-write the base story. For once this totally works in their favor. I wouldn't expect any major story similarities aside from character names. The name Zentradi would almost assuredly have to go. In fact most things regarding the Zentradi will have to tread on very light ground. Likely they'll scrap them all together, in place of "the robotech masters," or "the invid." The more I think about this, the more a suedo Macross styled story, with Mospeada styled aliens makes sense. That way HG can still keep their shadow chronicles tie in with little canon problem.

<snip>

You know....your points are very valid and that just may happen with the Robotech movie. <_<

<snip>

GG....now look what you've done. (refer to warpaint22's post)

i say bring it on!

have them retcon the story. let them bay-up the designs! let them mix & match all the character names & personalities.

then, there's finally gonna be a definitive difference between R & M. nobody's gonna mistake M for R afterwards.

ie: R=bad

and maybe, just maybe...

this movie's gonna cause another movie retaliation, just like GOJIRA 2K :lol:

have 'em show how things are done right!

...i'm still hoping for a Diaclone movie :lol:

EDIT:

and yes... i will probably see this movie.

it will be... interesting B))

Edited by UN_MARINE

Yeah, this will probably not be anything like The Macross Saga. Doing so, and then trying to release this film in Japan, may cause a big can of worms to be opened regarding the rights fight between BigWest and Tatsunoko.

So, in order to avoid that trouble, they make new story and new mecha so it can show in Japan without a ruckus.

As for this whole mess being bad for Macross, I totally disagree. This is one of the best things to happen in the U.S. for Macross in quite a while. If Big West has indeed hammered out their claims over the intellectual property in Japan, then chances are Funimation, ADV, or Bandai visual will make long necessary licensing attempt on a Macross series to test the waters. If there's one thing that's certain in the entertainment business, it's that is something potentially popular is on the horizon, then things similar to it will be bought up to ride that sales wave. We may actually get DYRL or Zero out of this, not to mention the new series. And dare I dream 7? :)

I would have to agree that this will probably be a complete remake. As for the fighters, I would think a new fighter design would be used instead of F-22.

For this being bad for Macross I'm disagreeing as well. If it was not for Robotech I would not have gotten into Macross and I'm sure I'm not the only one either.

This is a very old subject, so I hope I'm remembering correctly. Basically, the japanese court case ruled that Big West has the rights to all the designs, but Tatsunoko had the international distribution rights to the SDFM show and were rightly able to sell it to HG.

*cross my fingers that I got it right*

What everyone here on MW seemed to agree on was that meant HG could still market and sell SDF Macross shows and merchandise, but could not use DYRL, Flashback 2012, Macross Plus, Macross 7 or Macross Zero in any way shape or form. It also meant they could no longer do the cease and desist thing against japanese Macross imports, since legally they don't own the rights to those designs. Speculation is high this was the reason HG continues to diverge far away from anything Macross related with new Robotech productions and only sells the old SDF Macross series DVDs and toys to which it has solid legal footing.

That's what I can remember clearly. I hope I'm right.

Yeah, think of it this way, HG owns the right to the show itself and has the ability to sell whatever they want to support that property they own (outside Japan). They do NOT own the rights to the designs though so they can NOT use those designs for anything NEW (video games and comics being excepted, I believe because they can still be considered promotional items for that piece of animation they own).

I don't mind at all if they do a re-telling of SDFM and feature new designs. If it sucks, it sucks and so what? It's not going to detract from Macross at all. But if it's good then it means a whole crop of new designs and new toys.

I wanna see updated Valk....Oops! I mean Veritechs! :lol:

But we already have an updated valk with all that is post Macross. ;) And for the utmost fusion of any two designs, there is the combination of Destroid and Valkyrie with the VB-6 Koenig Monster.

May this movie bomb or be stuck in development hell, to keep the monies from the pockets of HG. The sooner they roll belly up and croak, the better. :)

I bet they'll be using F-22s for the VF-1. Afterall, THEY'll want this to look real and modern. Not to mention the fact that the F-14 has been retired from active service in september 2006.

I'm not sure what to think about a Live movie. I've not seen Robotech, so if they make a movie I hope it would have a fresh start for people who are not familiar with Robotech. If they redo it like the new battlestar galactica that would be great. Make it very realistic without the singing from Minmay (did they keep the singing in robotech?). Also this could be a good opportunity for robotech to start fresh without being associated with the Macross Franchise.

Robotech's The Macross Saga is 90% the same as Macross so you can kind of envision the Macross you know and love as being the starting point here. The biggest difference then is that the Protoculture have been replaced by a group known as The Robotech Masters and the term Protoculture now refers to a biological mega energy source. So yeah, spaceship crashes on Earth, is refurbished and attacked on launch date, folds beyond Pluto, Zents try to capture it instead of destroy it, Zents in-fight, Zents get corrupted by Minmay's singing, Dolza shows up to destroy Earth and all the corrupted Zents, corrupted Zents and SDF-1 win at a huge human cost. Those are the pretty big plot points that likely will receive some serious altering for this movie.

My vote is for an unknown fighter to replace the F-14 as the valk's origin, I think it'd be too much a Starscream rip-off at this point to make it too similar to the F-22. Who thinks they opt for "direct mind control" of the mech? Seeing as Robotech already implied this in their novels, I wouldn't be surprised to see the movie go that way.