What was the first Macross toy(s) that started your collection?

UN Spacy

The old Rook Cyclone. That lead to 18 years later and the cheep plastic VF-1s 1/55, which then caused the great collecting of Robotech, that got stolen from me in 2005, which in-turn caused the Great hoard of Macross, which then almost caused the great divorce.

It depends. If we're talking just designs and not official products, I can't recall whether my first Macross toy was the small red diecast Spartan Destroid or the Transformers Jetfire.

If the criteria is official products only, I pre-ordered a 1/60 scale Yamato VF-1S, but I subsequently sold it. Now I just own 1/48 scale yammies :)

The toy that originally started it for me 'way back when' was one of the knock-off 1/100 Taka variables, the same type that EXO mentions. By 1987 or so, I had "outgrown" Macross toys and had given away nearly everything I had until that point (Stupid, Stupid, Stupid :D )

Around about '02 or '03, I became aware of new Macross merchandise popping up on Ebay, and this rekindled my interest, and indirectly led me here. My first modern Macross toy was a Yamato 1/60 CF. I now have about 30 Yamatos, and another 30 or so Vintage Takas, Gakkens and Bandais.

Guest sh002

I remember a fat valkyrie toy with pullback action, a KO small plastic transformable VF-1J with yellow wings and legs, a similar black Convertors VF-1S Super Valkyrie, and Jetfire.

My first toy was the Korean 1/55 VF-1S Super Valkyrie bootleg back in 1997. Then came the 1/72 Yamato

YF-21, which is still one of my favorite toys :)

Then came the 1/60 VF-1A DYRL? Hikaru in december 2001 and the TRU VF-1A (which I paid U$S 170 for it) the rest is history, I bought every release of the 1/60's and most of the 1/48's.

No Toynazi or Bandais for me.

Now I'm anxiously waiting for the SV-51 which I already preordered and payed for :lol:

Destroids and enemy mecha please, and the 1/60 YF-21!!!!

my first "macross" toy was the matsushiro jetfire toy. Funny thing is I was watching robotech and playing with jetfire at the same time and notice the similarities and noticed that jetfire had the macross kite on it's wing. I was wondering why does jetfire look like roy fokker's VF-1S? Little did I know.... Many years later, 1996 to be exact, my friend in HS tells me he can get a macross vf-1j toy for 25 bucks. I totally jumped on it and bought it. It turned out the be the Joons VF-1J in the red box. Man, I was stoked that I had that, but then I realized it was a bootleg and I wasn't too happy about it afterwards. After that I was determined to find me a real one. But the ones i would find were always 300+ for each one. Waaaay too pricey for during that time. So model kits sufficed. Then the reissues finally came out and I bought em all and the rest is history! :D:p:lol:

Believe it or not, the Matchbox SD VF-1 (Joke Machine) is the first Macross/Robotech toy that got me hooked waaaaay back when I was 10 or 11. It remained my favorite toy for years, and when I got back into collecting one of the first items I bought was a Joke Machine (since my old one was lost to the ages).

As for what got me BACK into Macross, it was probably seeing the Yamato 1/60s in Toyfare, not being able to afford one and settling for a Bandai Reissue VF-1J Chunky Monkey.

I forget which was my first toy, it was either the Bandai 1/100 DYRL VF-1A Hikaru or the Bandai 1/72 DYRL HCM VF-1S Hikaru back in either 1986 or 1987.

I owned several Macross models back in 1983, long before I ever saw any toys.

Graham

Ahh, the good ol' days... mine was a Transformers Jetfire G1, that I still have. I remember getting that on a Christmas morning, and that being the only toy I played with that day. I think I was about 10, going on 11. It was only a few months later that I got a Takatoku Hikaru, then the Roy Fokker 1S. But it was that Jetfire that started me on my way to a somewhat large collection now. :D

I also had a few of the small, snap together models from back in the early 80's, and I also had two transformable VFs...I specifically remember one of the boxes portraying the model in camouflage. Very cool...

Sadly, I was too young to fully grasp the difficulty and patience it would take to complete the VF kits...They were quickly destroyed in my frustrated little hands. These were actually my first models - a very bad choice! They were practically being given away at an old museum in Connecticut. I spent my gift shop money on them ($20.00)!!! I got five models...How times have changed...

my very first was the 1/55 1J hikaru. my dad bought it on a business trip while he was in korea/china/japan back when i was like 7 years old or something.

more recently, the toynami 1/55 MPC 1J hikaru. little did i know how crappy it was and moved onto yamato, namely the 1/60 super 1J hikaru.

my 1st real Macross toy was a 1/55 Bandai VF-1A Hikaru that my brother bought me....

before that i had a hovertank that held onto for long time but that's not really Macross...

After the 1A.... MPC Rick and then 1/60 VF-1A Hik and then the addiction blew up after the summer of 2004....

My first toy was a Bandai 1984 VF-1S Strike Hikaru Valyrie Hi-Metal. Funny thing about it was that I purchased it thinking it was a knock off Jetfire. Before, Jetfire ever hit the toy market, I had already removed the armour to make "special chop shop" vehicles for my G.I. Joes.

It's sad and funny at the same time. Sad because I totally wrecked an original Strike and funny because I thought someone really screwed up on Jetfire's paint job. :blink: Then I realized my huge mistake, when I saw the movie. To this day, I still have some of these original parts lying aroud. Still as G.I. Joe vehicles (Crazy Glue was my best-er-est-est of friends back then).

Ever since then, I have been collecting Macross, to my hearts content. ^_^

Well if you count the Toynami MPC VF-1S Roy was want got me reintroduced to Macross. I wish I bought the 1/60 VF-1S instead but didn't know better (just sold the MPC a while back), but my first true Macross toys was the 1/60 Yamato VF-1A.

If Jetfire counts, that would be in 1985 or so.

Actually I had more Macross models than toys. The models were really easy find around here (Chicago area) back in the early to mid 80's. I had lots of poorly put together & painted model kits lol. Had a few Southern Cross and Mospeada kits too. Of course I had the Gakken Alpha & Cyclone toys. Long gone now.

What got me back into collecting for another 7-8 years was buying an overpriced Takatoku VF-1S for 500.00 in 1997 at Wizard World. They were all that high then or at least I was :ph34r: I don't collect/buy toys that much anymore though. Hell, I don't even have a Macross toy collection anymore...

A number of Jetfire's way back when ( I think I was 6 when I got my first one) and a busted VF-1A I found at a garage sale a few years later. My current collecting was rekindled by a Mospheda Ride Armour (Blowsperior) injection kit made by....Imai I think, not really sure. Come to think of it that was the first kit I ever used an airbrush on... with limited success. But I still have it.

I took a long hiatus from Macross..then all the sudden Hasegawa VF-1's came out and I cleaned out all my 1/72 modern jet fighters for Macross.

Then I wanted something variable and was able to resist 1/48's until one day I was at an Asobit City that was closing and bought 1 stealtha nd lv2 for 1/2 off :0

Ever since that stupid impulse buy I've been hooked >_<