What Do People Say When They See Your...

GutsAndCasca

All is kool except my Mother. Her reactions tells me she disapproves of my interest and hobbies. I love her, but can you believe that my biological mother does not support my personal interest. After all, when I was a kid she bought me a few transformers.

By the way, where do you guys find a wife or girlfriend who truly support and RESPECT your Macross interest? Are  they like nerds too or what? Haha im kiddin.  :rolleyes:

416018[/snapback]

I swear, my wife had no idea I'd catch the Macross flu once we got hitched. It's her fault. She bought me the cursed Robotech saga after I got her hooked on anime... anyways, she still loves me and as long as I buy her stuff too, she's happy. My advice to anybody out there, don't marry any girl who doesn't like anime in the first place. People who don't like anime suck. Underscore that.

416080[/snapback]

To simplify things, do not marry someone who does not share the same intrests as you, have that and you got a good marriage to live upon.

As for my toy collection, my mom thinks its a total complete waste of money.

Imagine asking for another Yamato, expect something to break.

Anyways I have kept my small but expensive toy collection in a single large shelf, never moved it never touched it.

But I do wonder, why we wasting so much money I mean its only... :o almost went out right their..

Anyways I really want to expand my toy collection, its just Im too young and Im short on cash. I always have that "Do you really need it" thing in my head before buying things. *sigh* I wanna buy Yamatos now :(

Edit: On the other end I get some good comments on my collection, or none since people do not care.

Worst I got is my bro's friend being bias and a complete moron, talks $hit about Macross and my Yamato(s). Worst he has said is way too bad to even post, it would probaly offend everyone on and outside of these boards.

But other than that...its all good B))

Edited by Dean

An impressed "Wow." is usually the first thing, or an awed, "Awwwww yeah!". This is usually followed by a geeky trip down memory lane as the visitor remembers Transformers, Macross, or Robotech from their childhood, and then, "Where can I get something like that?"

Most people are indiferent when they see my collection (Maybe they prefer not to make a commentary) but the worst I ever had was (when they saw my CM's collection): "If you have so many dolls, you must be a little gay and you don't know it" :angry:  At that moment, I was so surprised I didn't know what to say. I really don't care right now.

416049[/snapback]

If you didn't punch him in the stomach and then break his nose, you really must be a little gay.

Edited by armentage

Oh, you're one of those guys (airquotes optional)

Um, you're 30 and you have transformers?

I like your airplanes (smirk)

Oh, Chris is into transformers....

My wife recently: I can't believe my 3 year old son and my 30 year old husband are fighting over who gets to play with the robot (after I took away my 1/48 CF from my son)

You do know you're 30, right?

My wife recently:  I can't believe my 3 year old son and my 30 year old husband are fighting over who gets to play with the robot (after I took away my 1/48 CF from my son)

416136[/snapback]

Call them models and it suddenly changes to a hobby and everyone is cool with it.

My wife actually tries to show interest in my toys (the good ones at least), just last night she had me walk her through transforming my VF-0S. She did it successfully but i just about had a stroke and heart attack in the process. She likes a lot of the new stuff that's come out (new Yamatos, Revoltech) and even went out of her way to get me the VF-0 for Father's Day.

On the flip side, she finds it a waste of space, and should only keep what i exclusively love. I can understand since we now have two kids and our place is kinda small. She also made the penis nose cone comment.

I don't ever get teased for collecting toys, mostly because if they said anything, they'd find my foot up their ass.

most of my friends think i'm nuts for spending the amount of money I do, but I just point out to them, ummm, i don't drink or smoke like you guys, that's alot of money saved. i don't buy a new car every two years, in fact, i just paid off my car, what about you?

once i had everything in fighter mode and no one said anything, they just figured i was collecting model planes, until the next time they came over and everything was in battroid mode., i get the usual, WTFs? you're 31 years old, what are you doing playing with Transformers? I have to correct them, and walk them over to where I have the Transformers displayed and then I get the, "Hey, where I can get one of those???"

:unsure:

Masterpiece Convoy once again steals the show...

oh, and my wife is ok with it, as long as i keep them displayed in the office of in the curio caibnet. but in the cabinet which is visible to everyone, i need to keep it looking neat.

Edited by Chowser

All my close friends know that I'm a toy nut and don't say anything.

The girls I've dated have been cool with it too. My last gf wanted to buy me a display cabinet for them. My current girlfriend thinks that collecting toys is pretty normal compared to whatever else I could be into. That and she is blissfully unaware of how much I spend.

My wife recently:  I can't believe my 3 year old son and my 30 year old husband are fighting over who gets to play with the robot (after I took away my 1/48 CF from my son)

416136[/snapback]

Hahah, my wife says this to me as well... I tell her when the kid is old enough to reach the valks, they're going into locked cabinets or into storage until he moves out.

Most people are indiferent when they see my collection (Maybe they prefer not to make a commentary) but the worst I ever had was (when they saw my CM's collection): "If you have so many dolls, you must be a little gay and you don't know it" :angry:  At that moment, I was so surprised I didn't know what to say. I really don't care right now.

416049[/snapback]

If you didn't punch him in the stomach and then break his nose, you really must be a little gay.

416134[/snapback]

I'll loose with him in a match, so I let it pass :p

416049[/snapback]

416134[/snapback]

hahahah!!! I think anybody who has seen my collection knows I used to do muay thai and nothing else, so if they have anything negative to say they keep it to themselves. :D My mother in law bought me tickets to meet Ann Coulter in person once, but Ann got sick and we got our tickets refunded. I took my ticket money and bought a fast packed milia. When my Mother in law asked to see what it was that I'd bought with all that money, I think she expected something that walked and talked and flapped its wings and flew. Nope, it just sits there and looks awesome. I swear, how can people not understand...

great topic.

Everyone a work knows I collect these and I get the typical response. My family (Father Mother Brothers Sister) ask how much?

The cool part is I've been buying stuff for years. Its not a suprise to them. The only difference here is that this is Macross and beats/out classes everything I've ever collected. :D

edit: some times I get this one ... So you gonna sell these too? or You gonna give these to your kids? or this winner - How much money did you spend?

My answer is NO i got these for me. I may get rid of other stuff but not the Valks. And these are not for Children. and finally its my money I'll spend it the way I want.

Edited by Macross73

For me is pretty uncomfortable sometimes. I am working abroad and usually all my visitors are older than us (My wife and I are 30, Mini Me is 3) and they are all big serious guys, GMs and /or government people. They just loose words wen they check the back room. Some of them are nice and all but It is allways a trouble for me.

My wife is cool with my hobby, she is really supportive. Even goes with me to HK to buy "toys". Good girl. She only asked for nice glass shelves and to keep them all in the back room.

Well in fact I have been thinking on reducing my collection a bit and put some stuff back in their boxes. Sadly toys dont match with my work and "social life" here.

Sebastian, just tell them these "toy" are actually vintage stuff and they worth mega bucks (well, use a little lie does help).

I use that line all the time, and as soon as people hear the word "high return", their eyes go chok-chin $$$ and meeting adjourn....of course, I'll never sell them.....

hehe, when they see my collection they cant leave the house alive!!!

My wife hates it and tells al my freinds that hes to old to be collecting "robots", and having the freinds I have say at least he isnt collecting dildo's,,,,yeah, good freinds. Most everything at the new house is boxed and not allowed to come out till I finish the basement

We all know 1st impressions are huge, but it is so very true when we talk about our macross habits. If you know your friends for a while, and then they see your collection they may be a little perplexed, but then just shrug it off as just being interesting.

If you don't know them super well, like many coworkers or new friends or people you don't see often, the'll just assume you're a big weirdo. I explained this to my wife using the analogy:

If the first time we ever meet, and we were in a room together and I let out a big fart, You would probably be so grossed out you would never talk to me and we would never get married. But now, if I did the same you just get mildly annoyed but it still think I'm a catch.

...sorry, I really don't mean to equate Macross to farting, but you get my point.

And Sebastian, I think I'm like most of us when I say my toy habit does not match my social life either. And I also have thinned my collection to one smalll bookshelf covered in glass confined to the den, since we live in small apartment. It's hard to sell stuff off, but once you do you realize how nice the ones you keep actually are.

i get...

you're a dork

you're a nerd

whats wrong with you

you must be a child molester...gotta love that one.

415894[/snapback]

Holy crap! If someone said that child molester crap to me, I ask them kindy to leave with my foot in their @ss.

416055[/snapback]

hehehe, only my close friends say it just to give me a hard time. their sense of humour is harsh to say the least, but i'm the same way. we're all super sarcastic a-holes that constantly rib each other whenever the opportunity presents itself. we've been described by many as comedic "vultures". :D

:blink: ...

most people who walk into my "room" don't really notice the shelves upon shelves of boxed macross stuff. The idiots always grab the first sword they see and staqrt handling it improperly :blink: . Two friends are banned from the room entirely after I cought them doing blade on blade sparring surrounded by my macross goodies :blink: . As a rule the comments I get are "wow" and "you should sell that stuff on ebay"... neither of which is usefull :unsure:

most people who walk into my "room" don't really notice the shelves upon shelves of boxed macross stuff. The idiots always grab the first sword they see and staqrt handling it improperly :blink: . Two friends are banned from the room entirely after I cought them doing blade on blade sparring surrounded by my macross goodies :blink: . As a rule the comments I get are "wow" and "you should sell that stuff on ebay"... neither of which is usefull :unsure:

416906[/snapback]

heh. my immediate concern was for your macross collection as well... the fact that they were waving around swords at each other was really secondary...

hey, hey, hey, easy there, you might get blood on my valkyrie!

416906[/snapback]

heh. my immediate concern was for your macross collection as well... the fact that they were waving around swords at each other was really secondary...

hey, hey, hey, easy there, you might get blood on my valkyrie!

416910[/snapback]

for sure... only I am allowed to bleed on my toys! Which reminds me I should have a disclaimer everytime I sell something that says the item "may potentially be considered crime scene evidence" if ever exposed to a black light :blink: . It's only my blood so you won't get charged as long as I am alive. Thats how I make sure nobody who has bought stuff from me doesn't rob me :lol: . I can just see matlock saying "notice that there is no blood on the vf in vf mode BUT once it is placed in battroid mode the victems dying message is scrawwled across the toy in his own blood and it says you did it" :lol:

hahaha!

JUDGE: "Hey... bring that lil' valk thing over here and let me have a look at it. Hm. Well. Hm. This thing is pretty cool. Where can you buy these?"

MATLOCK: "No no NO your honor, it has to be in battroid mode, crap! Let me fix it back."

JUDGE (waving hammer menacingly): "Back off b--ch! Or it'll be your blood they'll be using luminescent devices to detect on this thing!"

*courtroom gasps*

Love this analogy! :lol:

We all know 1st impressions are huge, but it is so very true when we talk about our macross habits.  If you know your friends for a while, and then they see your collection they may be a little perplexed, but then just shrug it off as just being interesting.

If you don't know them super well, like many coworkers or new friends or people you don't see often, the'll just assume you're a big weirdo.  I explained this to my wife using the analogy:

If the first time we ever meet, and we were in a room together and I let out a big fart, You would probably be so grossed out you would never talk to me and we would never get married.  But now, if I did the same you just get mildly annoyed but it still think I'm a catch. 

...sorry, I really don't mean to equate Macross to farting, but you get my point.

And Sebastian, I think I'm like most of us when I say my toy habit does not match my social life either.  And I also have thinned my collection to one smalll bookshelf covered in glass confined to the den, since we live in small apartment.  It's hard to sell stuff off, but once you do you realize how nice the ones you keep actually are.

416871[/snapback]

Hahah, my wife says this to me as well... I tell her when the kid is old enough to reach the valks, they're going into locked cabinets or into storage until he moves out.

416155[/snapback]

The kids, or the valks? :p

My own friends' reactions can be summed in one word: "Robotech!"

I only have a small collection so nobody really says anything.

But if they do: My justification for owning them has to do with the fact that as a mecha series I think macross got the realism right and I don't like to think it was aimed at kids but more teens-adults. (unlike the transformers) And the show had to be animated only because that's what japan does instead of making big budget live action movies so I explain to them what it is about and that the toys are based on a show in the 80s about a futuristic space war and these machines are the space fighters used to fight against the aliens in it but unlike star wars (I have to mention it because it is well known and familiar to most) they used robotic machines since the aliens are just giant sized humans.

It's like with alternators: because they have realistic car modes, and look like models when transformed (no fluro paint, or garish colors, to indicate children play with them) you can display these and show them off to people as if they were merely a model. (but they are not, you can touch them and not worry. It shouldn't be a problem that they are toys since these toys are based upon real vehicles)

The trick is to display them in a dramatic fashion that looks exciting or recreates the feel from the show. You don't want to just have these lying around as if you play around with them and stuff or that will be the impression others get. For those who do not know what series they are from or to those who don't read comics, or are not into fantasy or science fiction I can understand them thinking you are a wierdo but only to the extent that they could never apreciate the show to begin with so automatically think you are an adult who just plays with toys and stuff.

I've seen toys in toy catalogues and while browsing in the toy sections and a lot of the more kiddy stuff I would not be interested in. I think of the high end valkyrie toys as more like completed models (just of fictional machines) that you don't build, something that might be interesting to an adult who would find that stuff in a hobby/gift store, along with model planes or maybe board games and dungeouns and dragons type diecast figurines, more than at kid's toy store.

For the friends who make jokes about it, buy them one as a gift and maybe they might secretly like it. (get them the 1/48 fast packed valk and show them the details) Get them into watching macross, and maybe show them macross plus and turn them into a valkoholic. I find that if you are not familiar with the series or comic of where something is from you tend to think of the thing as just "some kids toy". But adults still read comics, watch science fiction movies, and can still watch a kids movie (harry potter, lord of the rings? Toy Story?) and still apreciate the thing as an adult even if it was aimed at a younger audience.

In a different universe if the series was more well known and say your mom was into it in her young days, I bet it would not seem at all strange. It's more a generational thing imo. If something doesn't get exposure and is underground it seems sort of nerdy and esoteric, and too underground for the mainstream to not think strange. But as more people get into it, thier attitude changes and you are not seen as a fanatical, strange person once they seen or are familiar with the series that the models or toys where based upon.

Some people collect stamps, sports cards mugs, mickey mouse and disney related merchandise, for others it is those old train sets, or into remote controlled cars, but for me it's macross mecha. (which is just not something you would expect anyone to be familiar with if they don't watch anime) But if you show them the series, ask them what they think of it, maybe that perception will change. I don't think there is any point in hiding in the closet about your love for it, as it is nothing to be ashamed of, as I mentioned the show really doesn't seemed aimed at children or anything.

For the friends who make jokes about it, buy them one as a gift and maybe they might secretly like it. (get them the 1/48 fast packed valk and show them the details)

417062[/snapback]

I'll make jokes; can I be your friend? If so, I'd like a "1/48 fast packed valk." :D

Like some of you, I don't bother showing my stuff to most people because they just won't get it. Most people are just too close-minded to grasp that these are more than just toys. It's just too complex for their small minds to comprehend. They don't realize how much goes into designing and making these awesome figures. It's not a problem to blow thousands of dollars on a suped-up car that essentially gets you from point A to point B (like any car), but if you own a few figures/toys aimed at an older consumer, you're a weirdo. If I do get asked by some idiot why I collect what I collect, I just blow them off. It's not worth wasting my breath. People collect arguably weirder things, and I'm not judging them. It's cool to have hobbies that you can enjoy to keep you sane or get you away from the daily rat race, whatever they may be. As long as you're not going broke or hurting someone, more power to you.

I'll make jokes; can I be your friend? If so, I'd like a "1/48 fast packed valk."

Yeah but I'm anti-social in general not just a fan of macross. Your mother won't let me be your friend because she thinks I'm wierd when I tried to get her to watch macross plus with me. Don't want to stress her out so I'm keeping my distance.

The advice I gave will work if you're not me. They just have to see the series to understand it or they will make jokes about the robot's penis, your maturity level, or think you are strange because it reminded them of those silly transformer robots. (not knowing that these are mecha with pilots in a series that is a much more realistic world than a typical kids show)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

416155[/snapback]

417012[/snapback]

HAR HAR! :lol:

I've seen some cool kid-sized stuff at IKEA....

416155[/snapback]

417012[/snapback]

HAR HAR! :lol:

I've seen some cool kid-sized stuff at IKEA....

417105[/snapback]

it depends on which I like more in two years. We'll see. :blink:

seriously though... why do you think I started moving my valks to work?

My brother in law goes hunting and collects animal heads. I'm not dissing what he likes to do, but what he ends up with is a whole lot of expenses, and, animal heads. Hairy, catatonic, animal heads. At least with what I collect, you can pose them to look cool, unlike with an animal head. Or a mug/spoon/rock/etc. I think collecting Macross stuff is awesome, I can't wait to have a nice display case to shove it all in. If anybody doesn't like it, I can start a nice conversation about what they like to do, and why they think it's superior to what I like. I guarantee in no-time I can make them look just as weird as me. And like everybody else says, just lump your toys into the models category, tell them how much money they're worth, and peoples opinions can change in a heartbeat.

My macross display is open for anyone to see. All positive reactions so far. There is only one friend that sounds like a broken record. Every time she comes over she says: "Maaaaacrrosssss"

Everyone respect the display beacuase they know this things are pricey. Ahhh, there was this girl once who said: "Why don't you spend all that money in me instead of those toys" I just answered: Nahhh! :lol: