Fast Pack Or No Fast Pack?

AlphaHX

I searched around and I couldnt find a thread on this but sorry if this has been done before.

I was just wondering, which do most ppl prefer? Do most ppl like fast packs on their valk or does it depend on which valk it is or what mode its in?

My favorite valks are the VF-1, YF-19, and YF-21. For the 19 and 21 I prefer the fast packs. For the VF-1, I'm a bit torn. I like the fast pack on when it comes to the battroid and gerwalk mode but every once in awhile I prefer no fast packs on the fighter mode.

What do you guys think?

I've got no solid preference on the matter. With the VF-1, I like it both with and without in all modes. Same with the VF-11. With the YF-19 and 21, the FAST packs seem designed not to stick out, they don't have a big impact on the look of the fighters.

I dislike the Macross 7 FAST packs, for all the fighters, so in that case I prefere the fighters without the FAST packs.

I love FAST Packs, particularly as space flight equipment for the ordinarily aerodynamic-styled Valkyries. However, I must say the application and mission alters my opinion substantially.

Fighter Mode

In fighter mode, I almost always prefer the Valkyires without the FAST Packs attached, as this is the most esthetically pleasing mode. Most of the FAST Packs are chunky and even the conformal sections add bulk not native to the design, which I don't like in fighter mode. It bothers the ebb and flow of the smooth fighter mode, jarring my eye as it absorbs the appearance of the design.

I like FAST Packs used in space for the fighter mode. The addition of the packs really alters the appearance of the VF-1 fighter mode into a more spaceworthy design, at least esthetically. The thrusters all over the packs for true weightless manuvering and the giant rocket boosters make the Valkyrie a more beleivable spacecraft. Travelling in space requires traversing over incredibly long distances and a Valkyrie would need plenty of fuel and additional armaments for interplanetary sorties. I much prefer the Valkyries be equipped with FAST Packs for any space flight (this includes cool stuff like space boosters and VF-11 rockets).

About the only packs that don't bother me for the fighter mode in an atmosphere is the VF-0 FAST Packs. These aren't too intrusive on aerodynamics and they don't really harm the overall design in fighter mode.

Battroid Mode

I have no trouble with any of the FAST Packs in battroid mode for the VF-0, VF-1, SV-51, VF-11, YF-19, or YF-21. They all look great and some of them even make the Valkyries look much more menacing (like the VF-1). The one thing I don't like is the YF-19 FAST Packs on the shoulders. They look too flashy in battroid mode, like all those silly spikes and protrusions you see on samurai-like mecha in other animes.

Gerwalk Mode

No real preference either way for most of the Valkyries. But again, the VF-1 packs really make the Gerwalk mode look intimidating, so I think it's better with packs equipped.

Special Note

I have to make one exception out of all the Valkyries and that's the VF-11. I don't really know why, but for some reason I prefer the VF-11 equipped with FAST Packs in all modes, even fighter mode flying in an atmosphere (which I know is a big no-no). I can't describe it any other way but to say that the VF-11 somehow looks...incomplete without FAST Packs. It's almost as if the packs were part of the unmodified design. Strange, but there it is.

Edited by Mr March

I like them in fighter without them. Some of the fighters look light and when you add the weight on thier back it beefs them up to make them look crude: power through brute force (like the massive space booster on the Glaug) rather than being efficient.

But in Battroid Mode (especially the arm and leg armor) the extra armor might mean the difference between life or death since you are not going fast in this mode and up close it might increase defense. The strike Cannon adds more offensive ability to the battroid and looks mean. At close range you are doomed!

Gerwalk mode: same as battroid mode. A bipedal chicken-legged robot with some meat on its body (arm and leg armor) and more variety and choice of weapons to make it look more dangerous. (like the difference between the regult and glaug.) Glaugs having that big cannon above it and generally looking more offensive. (two arm cannons like Qrau)

As for other optional stuff like the atmoshperic booster (VF11 in macross plus) it makes the machine look like it was merely upgraded due to being initially weak, rather than just having power inside. (YF21 or Qrau for example which look compact but still look powerful without fast packs or upgrades whether it is in space or atmoshpere)

Mr March brings up good points about manueverability in space and how the fast packs would aid it and I agree with this. However I also believe some machines may strike a good middle ground by being good for both environments. The ones that look weak like the vf11 might look really good with fast packs, while others that are initially beefy or chunky like the yf21 still retain a nice space age look to them without the extra accessories and weapons. (maybe it depends on whether the mecha relies on energy weapons more, so it might not need to carry so much stuff with it?)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I love fast packs on the Valks!

Fighter plane mode, I think looks good either way with or without.

I tell ya though, I think fastpacksmake the valkyries look toght as hell.

Whenever I see a Valk without fastpacks, I think it looks skinny and naked.

Need to put your armor on boy, before you catch a cold!

Fast pack on Miria's VF-1J fighter mode is my fav, it just looks hot.

I also tend to like all my Valks in fast pack to bulkup the skinny arms and legs. Valks with FP has better proportion, espeically in Battroid Mode.

I'm definitely on the "either" side of the debate here. I like my VF-1's both with and without FAST Packs. In fact, one of my VF-1S's is tricked out in Strike configuration and the other in "clean" because I can't chose between the two looks.

Not to keen on the VF22's FASTpacks though. They just seem like fiddly extra bits that don't really do anything to change the visual aesthetic of the design - whereas the Packs for the VF-1 and VF-11 make them look like distinctly different animals.

Karl

On the "technical" side, I think they're a keen idea. Aesthetically, I definitely prefer those with a sleeker look to those without. I like the VF-17's FAST packs, and the smaller add-on modules on the YF-19 and YF-21 in Macross Plus. The SAP for the VF-2SS was really nicely integrated into the whole design of the mecha as well. There were some non-canon FAST packs with one of the VF-5000 resin kits that were nicely designed too.

Gotta agree with Awacs on the VF-22. It's my favourite VF, and with full-on chunky FAST packs, it ruins the flow of the airframe for me.

Damn Canucks, they're everywhere :)

380901[/snapback]

Damn straight. :D

For me, it has to be with FASTPACKS. Unlike most folks, I like the way a VF-1 looks in fighter mode when it has the FP's on. It's armed to boot and looks menacing, but at the same token, it exudes elegance.

Oooh, nice question!

I love the fast packs for fighter mode... but I love the valk without them as well... I love the bulk and the sheer agressiveness of the fast packs and there's just something about how completely utilitarian and function driven that I love... like how the legs needed to be bent to get the leg armor on. And yet, the regular VF-1 is a thing of beauty, so sexy and sleek.

for gerwalk and battroid, I prefer my valks naked. I think battroid just looks more polished and elegent without the armor.

With or without I dont mind but my collection of VF-1`s are mixed.

Every collection of VF1`s should have examples of each afterall they are a classic.

The VF17 looks cool with the fastpacks on in all modes, unfortuanately you cant really get than many kits/toys that include them.

Edited by big F

On the VF-1, I like them with our without FP or GBP, I like'em both ways. On the VF-11B my opinion is the same. When it comes to the YF-19 or YF-21, I really think the FP could have been bigger and more noticeable. Something big and aoutrageous would've been perfect. Presently there almost no difference in this last two with or witout FPs.

On the VF-0S, the Ghost booster is not particularly my favorite. I'd rather see some modular/structural attachment that would enhance the design of the Valk while increasing it's functionality. The Ghost booster to me is like a quick fix. Similar to that booster rocket attached to the VF-11B in M+ to keep up with the YF-21. It is like SK didn't have time to design something better. This is how I feel when I look at it: "looks like there's some tubular thing on top of that aircraft...Wow, it has a big @$$ rocket, wow it goes faster... Not amused, not easy on the eyes.

i like the vf-1 clean for atmosphere flight obviously, in space i like the fast packs.

for all other valks i like them non-fast pack, i like to pretend that the packs were a last ditch effort to catch the vf-1 up with zentradi forces.

IMHO the idea that U.N. Spacey would keep building planes with engines that need fastpacks seems silly. I like to pretend that the rest of the valks don't need them.

i like the vf-1 clean for atmosphere flight obviously, in space i like the fast packs.

for all other valks i like them non-fast pack, i like to pretend that the packs were a last ditch effort to catch the vf-1 up with zentradi forces.

IMHO  the idea that U.N. Spacey would keep building planes with engines that need fastpacks seems silly.  I like to pretend that the rest of the valks don't need them.

381843[/snapback]

Well, the 17, 19, and 21/22 aren't using FAST packs for engines. Just armor and ammo.

But it actually makes sense. The VFs are all designed as atmospheric as well as space combat

Making the extra verniers and reaction mass externally mounted saves them a LOT of un-needed gear for atmospheric combat(as well as the drag that accompanies vernier nozzles), without sacrificing space combat ability.

IMHO the idea that U.N. Spacey would keep building planes with engines that need fastpacks seems silly. I like to pretend that the rest of the valks don't need them.

That's what I imagine. See it was the episode in the tv series when milia first kicks ass in her powered armor and does all kinds of crazy manuevers with ease that I get the feeling UN spacy might have thought they needed the extra armor, weapons, nozzles and speed.

When you see the amount of missiles inside the qrau, it is essentially like a destroid but with the boost to make it fast and manueverable enough to not have to float there and take damage. (destroids with the exception of the monster are like cannon fodder in the series) The gbp, although well armed, just looks like a chunky brick. When it walks it looks sorta slow and bulky and heavy, and when it uses up all the missiles you can't but help want to eject the armor because it restricts the mode you can fight in. This is where Super armor comes into play: combining speed with more powerful weapons but without restriction on variable fighting methods. (ie changing from fighter to robot and back again for different ranges and situations as shown in macross zero)

Sure they coulda made a whole new robot or fighter, but these upgrades = nice gradual powering up that can make use of existing design. (no need to start from the beginning again and giving UN spacy more flexible options on what to do with all the stuff they already mass produced. Much cheaper to just have a bare bones naked robot and build up from that with various extras to tailor it to the mission and environment)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

After reading these posts, it made me wonder what types of fast packs that I like. People mentioned the how the VF-1 fast packs beef it up and makes it look more aggressive, powerful, etc. After thinking about it, I actually like the beefier fastpacks more than the YF-19/21 dinky minor fast packs. Especially in battroid mode. Goes the same with the VF-0. I actually like it with it on. I felt the VF-0 in battroid mode looked a bit skinny so with the fast pack to beef it up, it looked a lot better to me. Odd thing is I still like sleek smooth looking planes... :blink:

When it comes to being useful, etc. I definitely say fast pack on. They make it seem like the fast pack makes them so much faster and for me... the faster the better! The only exception of not looking faster with the fast packs are the YF-19 and 21. It just seems like more firepower than anything else. Still a plus tho. :D

That's what I imagine. See it was the episode in the tv series when milia first kicks ass in her powered armor and does all kinds of crazy manuevers with ease that I get the feeling UN spacy might have thought they needed the extra armor, weapons, nozzles and speed.

When you see the amount of missiles inside the qrau, it is essentially like a destroid but with the boost to make it fast and manueverable enough to not have to float there and take damage. (destroids with the exception of the monster are like cannon fodder in the series) The gbp, although well armed, just looks like a chunky brick. When it walks it looks sorta slow and bulky and heavy, and when it uses up all the missiles you can't but help want to eject the armor because it restricts the mode you can fight in. This is where Super armor comes into play: combining speed with more powerful weapons but without restriction on variable fighting methods. (ie changing from fighter to robot and back again for different ranges and situations as shown in macross zero)

I'm noticing a common theme here... The VF-1 FAST packs don't add armor. That's a RawBootEck-ism.

They're full of fuel and explosive weaponry. A hit on a loaded FAST pack is probably going to blow off whatever it's attached to.