Macross Dvd: The Double Dip

bsu legato

Will you buy a copy of the new Macross DVD?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy a copy of the new Macross DVD?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I'm just curious to see who, if anybody, is actually interested in the new ADV Macross DVDs. Don't be afraid to answer honestly. Maybe you missed out on the Animeigo set, or you finally got tired of your engrish bootlegs. Or conversely, you're standing up to "the man" and saying NO to the second bite at the apple.

I guess I'll be the first "Yes" vote.

As much as I love Macross, I tend to have TV on in the background alot of the time. That being said, it's hard to pick up the nuances of a tv show when you aren't staring at the screen to catch the subtitles. :lol:

For now, I intend on picking up the first DVD, and seeing how good the dub is. If it's piss poor, and if they have strayed too far from the original dialogue, I will buy no more.

However if it's good, then I can always use another Macross set. I have both of the Champagne boxes after all. Also, let's not forget about the QC problems people had with the Animeigo discs, and the reports of them cracking over time etc. It can't hurt to have a backup.

I never ponied up for the Animeigo set so I'm voting yes. I am going to hold off and wait to hear about the quality of the dub. I've would love to be able to sit my girlfriend down and watch an episode with her. As it is though, I feel horribly dorky just trying to get her to watch an early 80s cartoon... let alone one she has to read the subtitles on.

Yes. I will support HG if they do cool sh!t, and this is cool. Getting Mari to do an english dub was brilliant.

Actually, if HG decided to drop the whole Rowboatech thing and just co-produce/distribute Macross branded products with the help of actual anime professionals, I'd love em.

Yes or at least the first DVD. I'm curious about the dub. Hopefully ADV won't litter it with swear words etc.

Hikaru: Ya farting right Roy, we kicked those Zentradi bitches ass.

Roy: Damn straight son. Let's go find some whores to bang.

I'm interested to see if ADV does anything to the video. I thought Animeigo added back too much grain. Also some of the colors are oversaturated.

Hikaru: Ya fuking right Roy, we kicked those Zentradi bitches ass.

346953[/snapback]

Ok, from now on you are in charge of subs... I am only watching if you did em. I feel like they speak to my soul.

Well since we're being honest, I have to say that I'm going to leech the results of the new DVD set from members that post here on MacrossWorld. A dub would be okay, but I doubt it will be the quality I expect and demand. The subtitles have to be something extraordinairy, becuase like I said in the other thread, the Animeigo set had the best subtitling translation of an anime I have ever seen. Lastly, the price better be reasonable.

Given my high expectations, I doubt ADV will live up to them. Most likely I will never own this set, unless I see them for sale.

I'll vote yes on this, due to the fact that one of my Animeigo disc actually did "split in two". Nevertheless, the fact that the original Japanese dialogue will be on there too, this can't hurt. Plus, my younger brother and sister are too young where they can't pick up too well the story and watch the show at the same time. So, perhaps a dub version will get them more into it while exposing more fans of dubbed shows to a great series. :D Well, let's hope it does that.

Plus, my younger brother and sister are too young where they can't pick up too well the story and watch the show at the same time.

346966[/snapback]

Right, I totally forgot about that. Now I can Macrossize my kids!!

EDIT - Wait, then they might start eying up my 1/48's and CM's figures and other goodies. Scratch what I said... :p

Edited by Mechamaniac

I went undecided. Why? Well, if something happens to my Animeigo set, then I'll get the ADV. And who knows when that day will be.

But really, I'll skip. I see no reason to get another set when I'm happy with my current and I don't feel like spending money on another set. I kinda enjoy all the quirks of the Animeigo sub given the creators' background. I don't watch any English-dubbed anime so the dub is kinda wasted on me.

I might later on during a Right Stuf Studio Sale. I'm not in a rush right now, but a backup would be good. Impressions right now is that they're at least trying with this. Hopefully the dub is good too, which actually is a good reason for me to wait and read how it is before I invest in it.

Hikaru: Ya fuking right Roy, we kicked those Zentradi bitches ass.

346953[/snapback]

Ok, from now on you are in charge of subs... I am only watching if you did em. I feel like they speak to my soul.

346955[/snapback]

I'd buy them as Christmas gifts if they did that! :lol:

I'm undecided but curious to hear how it turns out.

It will be interesting to hear how minmay sounds.

Kyun kyun kyun kyun.

Will the lyrics follow the lyrics in macross plus?

"My boyfriend is a pilot now, .....he's a pilot now!"

In Gundam Seed if you listen to the eng audio, the lyrics to the music is different and there is a different person singing but it's the same song. Lacus sounds like an old lady. (Well not old but you know what I mean. Different person alltegether. That always bugged me)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Preordered on Amazon day before yesterday -- got two copies: One for me and one for my little brother.

And Lurker -- I'm of the opinion that they probably won't try to dub the songs, although if they do, at least they have the writer of "Cinderella" handy to help them out with it :)

Edited by Pat Payne

With Mari giving Minmay her English voice (even if Mari's job is so-so, it will be cool just to have heard it done), brand new extras (namely interviews with Mari), "improved subtitles", new box art and DVD art, and that the Animeigo DVD's might go bad (I've loaned my set to two different people these last few months and no complaints of any problems :) ), I am most definitely getting a set. Still deciding if I will keep the Animeigo set.

I'm anxious to hear Mari doing Minmay in English as well. Hell, anything is better than the screeching harpie they used in Rowboatech. Her English was pretty good at MWCon, and she is SO cute in person despite being over 40.

I'm glad she finally got on the Shatner bandwagon, and decided that she might as well make some money from being forever identified with Minmay.

i'm definately picking it up. While my AnimEigo disc's have yet to show any problems, that whole deal with the disc cracking has made me warry of playing them. A back-up version is definately preferable. The dub is a curiousity, but only because Mari is there, and I'm already this deep into Macross fandom, one more box set won't hurt. Considering the price, it's no worse than picking up multiple 1/48's, sure they have different heads & colors, but they're still VF-1's.

Still undecided. While I'm sure it will be a pleasure to hear Mari on the dub, the same may not be true of the rest of the cast.

Also, any word on whether Minmay's songs will remain in Japanese, or are there plans for Mari to rerecord them in English?

Graham

I'll not buy it: although the french version of the Animeigo set has some poor translations here and there (they're obviously taken from the english translation and not from the japanese originals, example: reaction weapon -> instinctive weapon, surprising the first time then rather funny... :p ), despite such minor flaws it's of very good quality in presentation and image treatment, more than enough to justify to not buy another one... :)

On the other hand, if I hear this new set's of top-notch quality, I may reconsider this decision in the future when the complete and cheaper boxset will be available but I really don't plan this atm

I paid top dollar for the Animego set back in the day. Back in the day? That was like what two to three years ago? I have my set. They haven't melted yet. DVDs haven't been replaced yet. Sure I'm interested in hearing the new dub but I don't really need them. I may rent them should they come to a rental store near me but there's no need to buy them.

Is it the same format as the Animego discs, just ported over?  Like the same eps on each dics?  Do you know how many discs there will be?

347249[/snapback]

I believe they've said 6 eps a disk is the target. Not sure, though.

347286[/snapback]

I heard somewhere that it is going to be a 7 disc set. The first disc having 6 episodes, then the other 6 having 5 eps per disc.

I'm worried at ADV problems with these. My RT discs played fine for a long time, I recently played a couple of them and they aren't playing properly anymore. Still I will pick up the first disc to make a judgement if I will continue to buy anymore.

I'm anxious to hear Mari doing Minmay in English as well.  Hell, anything is better than the screeching harpie they used in Rowboatech. Her English was pretty good at MWCon, and she is SO cute in person despite being over 40.

I'm glad she finally got on the Shatner bandwagon, and decided that she might as well make some money from being forever identified with Minmay.

347093[/snapback]

Indeed. I am "undecided" mainly because I am not in Region 1 so I may hold out for a while to see if they come out in the UK.

I have the Region 4 Australian release of SDF Macross and I never thought I would ever need any more, but here we are, the implausible has happened and Mari is reprising her role as Minmay. We all know this is the role she was born to play and however bad the rest of the cast is, the dub will be a gem simply because of that fact. Actually, it might have terrible acting and poor translation paraphrasing, but I don't care, it is a brand new incarnation of Minmay and of Macross itself, something we have been waiting over 20 years for, and as a bonus it brings us one step closer to the abolishment of Row-Boat-Heck.

I'll still keep my old DVDs for the Ishiguro interview, and also for the cool "make your own dub" option.

I'll be buying the "double dip," though I'm not sure if that's the right word for it. This isn't the same company releasing a second edition to get more money--this is a wholly different company.

And frankly, I was never thrilled about Animego's price gouging. First of all the discs themselves were very expensive. And then I find out that they were single-layer DVD5's. The could have used double-layer DVD9's (like most commercial movie DVD's) and been able to fit twice as many episodes on one disc at the EXACT same quality.

Twice as much storage = half the total number of discs. Half the discs = far cheaper to collect the whole series.