Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

On 9/4/2019 at 2:01 PM, Einherjar said:

Before the Robotech universe/multiverse implodes or something from this reboot, I just want to say thank you Titan Comics for setting the stage for how this era of the franchise is going is going to work out - a whole bunch of imitation Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada characters desperately trying to go through the motions of their storylines under pretty ridiculous handicaps.

They've been doing THAT for ages... Robotech II: the Sentinels had two original main characters who were literally just transparently obvious bad copies of Hikaru and Misa, with precisely the same relationship and precisely the same problems right down to Karen having an overbearing dad among the military brass.  By Shadow Chronicles it'd reached the point of recursion, with Marcus Rush and Maia Sterling being bad copies of Jack Baker and Karen Penn.

10 hours ago, tekering said:

According to Miyauchi's tweet, Miyatake told him Titan Comics were not authorized to use his artwork.  :huh:

Well, they kind of are... via Harmony Gold's license to the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

Still, it is rather a dick move on their part to constanty trace his work and claim it's their own.

It really is beyond rude of some Robotech fans to bring their bastardized work for autographs from Macross's creators.

12 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It really is beyond rude of some Robotech fans to bring their bastardized work for autographs from Macross's creators.

I'm actually surprised that the creators are willing to sign Robotech stuff(even if they do append corrections to the title and copyright alongside their signature).

I'm guessing that the actual creators are put in a difficult situation at that point.  To most people at my work, it's all Robotech to them.  They don't know any better and they don't have enough interest to research and learn.  To one guy VF-1s are all Jetfire to him.  It's easier to just let it go.  You can educate them if they start asking more about it.  :unknw:

9 hours ago, DewPoint said:

I'm guessing that the actual creators are put in a difficult situation at that point.  To most people at my work, it's all Robotech to them.  They don't know any better and they don't have enough interest to research and learn.  To one guy VF-1s are all Jetfire to him.  It's easier to just let it go.  You can educate them if they start asking more about it.  :unknw:

Not knowing better is one thing, but to go up to one of the original creators with the bastardized offspring looking for a signature, well then the ignorance argument doesn't hold.  If you know who Miyatake, Kawamori, Mari, are etc... then you have to have done at least the minimum research to realize that they have no connection to RT and HG beyond their original work being bastardized by then.

4 hours ago, azrael said:

Even back in the 80s (or perhaps early 90s), they couldn't find someone who could draw properly. You could fit an entire hand on the right interior (his right interior) of that helmet.

Even right after Robotech finished its broadcast run, prospective licensees weren't exactly beating HG's door down looking for the rights... the comics were always an amateurish-looking mess because it was only the little indie publishers that were ever actually interested in it, and most of them weren't giving it their A-game either.

4 hours ago, Graham said:

I'm sorry, but just what in the holy shitsnacks is this supposed to be???!!!

RobotechArchives-TheSentinels-TP.jpg

Earl from Toejam and Earl in Aquaman cosplay?

(Honestly, what gets me is this isn't even colored correctly... it's supposed to be red.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I'm not going to lie, at the time this thing came out, I thought this image was done well.  Is it traced?

RobotechArchives-TheSentinels-INTERIOR02

Though even at that time, I wondered how the Inbit would have been able to angle it's guns to hit it's target (the woman), given the range. 

1 hour ago, peter said:

I'm not going to lie, at the time this thing came out, I thought this image was done well.  Is it traced?

RobotechArchives-TheSentinels-INTERIOR02

Though even at that time, I wondered how the Inbit would have been able to angle it's guns to hit it's target (the woman), given the range. 

Based on the overall composition of the rest of the frame, maybe not traced, but they had artwork of a Gurab there to reference.

13 minutes ago, Gerli said:

Oh no! They destroyed Athens! (again)

That's another thing I was wondering about.....what they were doing in Ancient Greece or Rome, lol!

6 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Maybe they were going for something in Washington DC?  But then what's the big rubber wall of goo melting all over the title? :lol: 

Protoculture can't melt Marble... it's a conspiracy

Edited by Gerli

Along the lines of "bad publicity is better than no publicity " , hg is probably very happy with MW forums.  I'm sure KM would spin this into something positive for his pals. "See, even Macross fans who hate  us cant stop talking about rt!"

3 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Along the lines of "bad publicity is better than no publicity " , hg is probably very happy with MW forums.  I'm sure KM would spin this into something positive for his pals. "See, even Macross fans who hate  us cant stop talking about rt!"

Really, I don't think HG would consider us flaming the old comics to be anything but a rare bit of common ground with us... they're not keen on them either, having publicly disowned them as garbage back in '06.

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

gallery_10330_641_27283.jpg

I may have cost them a Kickstarter, and everything done since (like this comic book) is just fallout from it. ^_^

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

The fact that we are actually getting some enjoyment out of a Robotech project, even just to make fun of it, while giving 00000 money to HG makes me happy.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Really, I don't think HG would consider us flaming the old comics to be anything but a rare bit of common ground with us... they're not keen on them either, having publicly disowned them as garbage back in '06.

But who holds their opinions/tastes in any high esteem.?

• Old_Nash changed the title to Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics
  • azrael locked this topic