New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

Just now, Focslain said:

Honestly I figured Roid maneuvered the king as well, especially considering what happened in ep 13.  

The impression I got was more like a case of Grand Theft Plot... Grammier wanted to stop at having "liberated" the Brisingr globular cluster and bringing it under his rule, while Roid wanted to go a lot farther and pursue his instrumentality plot.  When Grammier was ready to stop, Roid got stabby so he could manipulate Heinz into pursuing "Your father's real goal, honestly.  Take my word for it."

17 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Like I keep reminding you, neither of those things is strictly true.

In Macross Frontier, the main villains are cyborgs whose consciousness inhabits multiple bodies at a time... making it very difficult to assess if one is truly dead.  Grace "died" several times during in the TV series but Macross Galaxy itself got away, and several Galaxy executives were killed in the movie but there's no way to know if that was all of them or if it stuck... and Grace survived.  (Never mind implications that SMS's owner, Richard Bilra, was in on the conspiracy... and we know HE didn't die.)

In Macross Delta, both of the principal architects of Windermere's second war against the New UN Gov't were killed in the conflict.  King Grammier VI was killed in the invasion of Ragna in Ep13 and Chancellor Roid Brehm was killed by Keith in the final episode.  The only Aerial Knights who don't wind up dead are the ones inherently sympathetic to the New UN Government (Master Hermann, Theo and Xao Jussila, and Bogue Con-vaart).  Prince Heinz can't exactly be held accountable since he's all of nine years old and has just been manipulated as his father's puppet, then Roid's.  Then there's the economic and political ramifications of their actions I've outlined before... they're NOT going to have a good time after the war, even assuming the New UN Forces don't show up en masse and occupy their planet.

*shrug* Frontier did it good enough for me.

As for Delta, kill all those ultranationalist liars with fire and tear down the corrupt Windermere dynasty.

Eh. Going scorched earth has almost never worked well. For every Carthage, there’s a few Goths, Gauls, and Vandals. 

And Seto is correct. Delta killed off the two greatest baddies, crippled Windermere for generations, the only heirs to the royal family are dead and dying probably too young to produce an heir, and left the door open for the dilution of their culture and way of life. Plus the friggin’ huge dimension eater crater they still have to look at and a metric butt-ton of fold quartz they can look at but do f-all with. No, I think the baddies definitely got their comeuppance. 

And now I think of it, the NUNS are pretty much guaranteed to show up since I don’t seem to recall the Sigur Valens blowing up or being taken from Windermerean control. No way they’ll be left alone with it. 

Edited by Sildani

5 hours ago, SMS007 said:

*shrug* Frontier did it good enough for me.

By letting most if not all of the bad guys get away?

The vast majority of the kills our heroes scored were on mind controlled soldiers, many of whom may have been civilian draftees.

5 hours ago, SMS007 said:

As for Delta, kill all those ultranationalist liars with fire and tear down the corrupt Windermere dynasty.

While there's no denying that there's rather a lot wrong with Windermere IV's Kingdom of the Wind, corruption didn't make the list.

Two of the three ultranationalist leaders did die in a fire, and the third got shanked by his own right hand man, but most of them aren't really that bad.  Misguided perhaps, and justifiably more than slightly pissed off, but they aren't evil.  The New UN Gov't is mostly to blame for the conflicts, given that they seemingly did everything in their mortal power to piss the Windermereans off from diplomatic intransigence all the way up the scale to honest-to-goodness war crimes committed with banned WMDs.

20 minutes ago, Sildani said:

And now I think of it, the NUNS are pretty much guaranteed to show up since I don’t seem to recall the Sigur Valens blowing up or being taken from Windermerean control. No way they’ll be left alone with it. 

Heinz took about half of the ship home with him when his forces retreated from the second battle of Ragna.  The bit that had the shrine and was connected to the ruins on Ragna was left behind and had been shot up a bit by Xaos's Macross Elysion, so there's not likely to be much threat from the Sigur Berrentzs anymore.  Without that song shrine it's just an advanced battleship.  It might not even be able to use some of its systems, since the shrine seemed to be necessary for the fault fold barrier to operate.

My guess would be that the New UN Government will take the long view and wait until Windermere is on its knees begging for technological aid, then waltz in and occupy the place.

I'd bet the Windermere conflict will be effectively a footnote in the next series, since it took place in a remote and economically unimportant region of the galaxy and it didn't really have any implications outside the Brisingr Alliance.

Personally the fact that the Windy's were allowed to take the SB battleship home is still an open threat.  It has tech that only one corporation understands and remains an open question as to what else is still in that ship that the NUN Alliance needs to know about to defend the member worlds.  It's similar to a country like North Korea having discovered a new weapon and letting them keep it after they attacked South Korea and Japan.

Edited by Zinjo

I guess I'm pretty burned out on Macross these days. I can't even get excited for the possible release of Macross Delta Passionate Walkure. Sure I'm pretty hyped about the next new Macross series as anyone else, but then again seeing how Macross Delta's disastrous 2nd cour (1st cour IS great) turned out to be .... hmmphhhh.

I might be tempted to jump again into the new Macross gravy train once more ... IF it proved interesting enough. For time being its better to indulge myself on the next sequel of Gundam Unicorn or onboard with LOGH: Die Neue These or Yamato 2202.

I suspect Macross these days is a big, fat, stinky success in Japan. 

Though I would love to know how Japanese viewers are critiquing Delta, compared to most moacross world members, whom , I assume , are not mostly Japanese. 

I'm really hoping for a side story or an in between short series ( as I've said many times) . But if it's more of the same a la Delta sing along with weak writing, then I'll pray for bad ass mecha , at least. 

Macross is firmly rooted in my heart, but my enthusiasm waxes and wanes based on their tried (tired?) and true formula. 

It all remains to be seen , eh?

Yeah, instead of spending tons of cash on a series, revitalize the universe with some OVA spin offs and side stories that are outside the "formula".  Yes Mac Zero was more flash than substance, but it gave us something new, a look into a Post crash, pre Zentradi Earth.  I'd love to see more of that as well as stories during different eras dealing with different things.  At this point the only thing like it are the video games and even they are becoming derivative and often focused on fan service rather than exploring the Macross universe.

Seriously, finding funding for such a set of OVA's would not be that hard.  Recycle existing valkyries, maybe add one or two new ones.  The sponsors repaint their existing toy lines, maybe add some new accessories featured in the shows and voila, ROI with little new investment in engineering and molds.  Hasegawa was great for this once upon a time.

Instead we've been fed the spiritual successor to Mac7, all music with a weak plot.  Mac 7 was a huge success for its time and that was primarily because of the music, Delta is following the same trend line.  Though I will admit, I prefer the Mecha designs for Delta much more than I do Mac 7.

Edited by Zinjo

On 8/29/2018 at 8:21 PM, Zinjo said:

Seriously, finding funding for such a set of OVA's would not be that hard.  Recycle existing valkyries, maybe add one or two new ones.  The sponsors repaint their existing toy lines, maybe add some new accessories featured in the shows and voila, ROI with little new investment in engineering and molds.  Hasegawa was great for this once upon a time.

Then all they need to do is animate Macross R.

Seriously, Dengeki Hobby puts a lot of cool stuff in their magazines that's begging to have an anime counterpart. A few of them are the Macross R (The Ride) and the Gundam Advance of Z. Those titles have lots of cool looking mechas including redesigned retro Valkyries and Mobile Suits. It's a wonder why Bandai haven't tried to make a deal with Dengeki Hobby regarding rights and permissions.

And another thing, they should just make Macross The First manga into an anime since it's taking too long to finish it by one guy. Make it as an OAV like Gundam The Origin.

Edited by no3Ljm

56 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Then all they need to do is animate Macross R.

It would be a nice gesture from them... especially since Macross Frontier apparently still has quite the following even ten years on, to the extent that we're still getting new singles from Sheryl and Ranka.  I'd expect a Macross Frontier prequel would go over quite well.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:31 PM, Bolt said:

Makes me wonder how well Plus and zero did in Japan. Would something like we're suggesting go over well..?

Macross Plus and Macross Zero got kind of a lukewarm reception initially, though audiences have warmed to both in the intervening years.

Macross the Ride would have a bit of borrowed gloss from Macross Frontier, given that it's set in the same fleet barely a year before the events of the series and several characters from the series put in appearances.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It would be a nice gesture from them... especially since Macross Frontier apparently still has quite the following even ten years on, to the extent that we're still getting new singles from Sheryl and Ranka.  I'd expect a Macross Frontier prequel would go over quite well.

Bandai should do it too and just retool their existing molds to match what's used in The Ride. Also, Bandai's doing greats jobs how to Tampo prints like it's nobody's business. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

No new series news but the more I think about it, the more I reckon we will get a Delta sequel. Walküre's popularity and  the fact that there's been absolutely no word of any music act or auditions linked to the new series make me pretty suspicious.

I would have liked to see the characters from Macross 30 get their own OVA, but I don't think that will happen.

1 hour ago, Podtastic said:

The latest Star Wars and Predator flicks were savage disappointments so why should Macross buck the trend?:(

Technically SW and Pred are sequel movies, and Macross is slated to be an all new TV series. :wink:

I just want average/good storytelling and at least two or three  minutes of action sequences per episode.

Is it much to ask for 3 minutes of mecha action per episode?

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

35 minutes ago, Graham said:

Speak for yourself, I enjoyed both and I'm an old school SW and Pred fan.

I think you may be in the minority with these 2. Majority of reviews I've seen agreed with my own assessment after seeing these.

The Predator had some nice visuals of the Pred (initially on the ship and in the lab) but that whole hybridisation nonsense was totally unnecessary. It closed off what was always left so open by the simple "thrill of the hunt" theme.

Also the  dialogue and "humour" seems to have been aimed at toddler level intelligences.

And did our hero have to have his  head chopped off/skull ripped AGAIN?:cray:

On 9/17/2018 at 5:19 AM, Marzan said:

No new series news but the more I think about it, the more I reckon we will get a Delta sequel. Walküre's popularity and  the fact that there's been absolutely no word of any music act or auditions linked to the new series make me pretty suspicious.

RIP

Still have some cool toys to look forward to if it turns out to be a delta sequel *yuck*

On 9/17/2018 at 5:19 AM, Marzan said:

No new series news but the more I think about it, the more I reckon we will get a Delta sequel.

Y'all keep forgetting that we shouldn't be expecting to get any news of the new series for at least a few weeks yet.  Both Macross Frontier and Macross Delta largely kept mum about production until the September before their release and didn't have any substantial news until the end of October.

Also, the idea that Kawamori would break the habit of a lifetime and do a direct sequel is a bit on the silly side... he's been dead-set against it for over three decades.

7 hours ago, Podtastic said:

I think you may be in the minority with these 2. Majority of reviews I've seen agreed with my own assessment after seeing these.

Your tastes, as noted previously, tend to be rather... "specialized" might be a nice way to put it.

5 minutes ago, zard said:

Looking forward to any news about the upcoming series.  Anyone know how often OVAs are proposed?  Seems Macross does not have too many compared to the Gundam franchise.

Gundam is a lousy choice for a yardstick... it's hands down the most prolific anime franchise in the mecha genre, if not overall.

There's not many mecha franchises to begin with.

Gundam's obviously most prolific. The only other one than Gundam and Macross I can think of is Full Metal Panic (unless you count super-robot shows like Mazinger and whatnot).

If you're going by toys then there's a few franchises like hexagear and frame arms.

1 hour ago, zard said:

Wouldn't Macross be second?

Arguably... but there's a massive difference in scale there.

Gundam is an enormous corporate merchandising powerhouse which sustains itself by continuously releasing new animated material, and hasn't really taken a year off since that brief hiatus that came between the original compilation trilogy and Zeta Gundam.  There are very few properties out there that can afford to be even half as prolific, using the strength of their merchandising and/or massive fan followings.

Macross is an auteur creator/designer's personal pet project that brings forward new material mostly on anniversaries or when Kawamori is moved to do so by some inspiration.  Naturally it doesn't have content coming out nearly as frequently, though since Frontier took off like a shot it's been a lot less infrequent.  (I wonder if Kawamori is facing pressure from Big West and its partners on that score, to make Macross run more like Gundam.)

• azrael changed the title to New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)
  • azrael locked this topic