My wife just told me that, as soon as she saw Rhianna's name attached, she watched the trailer with the sound off and saved herself the trouble. Smart girl.

What is with all the uniform variations? Don't get me wrong, i like the DYRL style jacket, but...

Yeah I feel the same. They seem to go out of their way to keep Kirk out of his regular duty uniform. Maybe Chris Pine has it in his contract to wear other clothes.

Edited by Sandman

Yeah I feel the same. They seem to go out of their way to keep Kirk out of his regular duty uniform. Maybe Chris Pine has it in his contract to wear other clothes.

To boldly dress like no man has dressed before.

Reviews from screenings have been good! Here is John Campea's review which I felt was a good fair review without spoilers.

There are a couple other reviews on YouTube, one of which says minor spoilers but it had a pretty big spoiler in it IMO, so I won't link to it. But all the reviews I've seen so far have been positive saying it's the best of the reboot films and finally does some justice for we old school Trek fans.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

He has a tough task putting his acting against that generic bad guy makeup.

That's the word for it, alright. It's the kind of makeup that we've kind of seen a hundred times.. G'kar comes to mind to me, due to the proportions.

Hmm, Campea doesn't get what the og fans were complaining about. We don't want pute thinking. Some of the most successful ST movies have action. We just want there to be some thought inbetween the action. Sounds like Pegg pulled it off, I hope.

"Worth Watching and Worth Buying on Blu-ray"

"A-"

"8/10"

"3.2 and 4.1 out of 5 Schmoes"

"B-"

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 83% - "Star Trek Beyond continues the franchise's post-reboot hot streak with an epic sci-fi adventure that honors the series' sci-fi roots without skimping on the blockbuster action."

Metacritic Score: 68 out of 100

Edited by areaseven

I haven't seen this yet, but I've been reading some reviews:

The ending sounds Macrossy? Using a popular song to defeat the aliens? Of course it's the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" and not an in-universe act but...

You do realize that Star Trek takes place in the future and it's perfectly possible for The Beastie Boys recordings to still exist, right? In TNG Ryker used to regularly listen to classic Jazz pieces by real world musicians.

He's referencing Macross where the music that saves the day is unique to the Macross universe, not an existing historical song. Of course Macross then elaborated on that with spiritia which one hopes will bear nothing in common with what this film does. I think a unique song is preferable, less of an American culture thing instead of a human culture thing.

You do realize that Star Trek takes place in the future and it's perfectly possible for The Beastie Boys recordings to still exist, right? In TNG Ryker used to regularly listen to classic Jazz pieces by real world musicians.

Perhaps - but it is totally impossible that ANYONE would still be using that ring tone... (first movie, Kirk stealing the car)

So, from the first few seconds of that trailer, I'm curious. Did they finally just settle on the decks being absolutely massive with huge windows to explain away using the same number of windows on a ship 3x as large as the original TMP Connie? Either they have a windowless deck in the middle, or those decks must be 20 feet thick on the inside.