Or, one person's opinion and taste. Takes all kinds.

Without this movie's buzz, what's out there to entice or attract new Trek fans, eh? Without new blood, any fandom will wither and die, Trek included.

Old movies and shows , Internet fan movies, and a pay-per-view (ish) series of unknown provenance are simply not enough.

If they are going to change it to mindless fast and furious action with no substance then maybe it should die? Perhaps there is more dignity in death of the franchise rather than going on. On the plus side i do kinda like the new uniforms (the ones base on the original outfits). Too bad it looks like Pine is going to spread most of the movie not wearing it like the other two movies. It must be in his contract to not have to wear it.

If they are going to change it to mindless fast and furious action with no substance then maybe it should die? Perhaps there is more dignity in death of the franchise rather than going on.

Impossible to say based on that one trailer. I'm withholding judgment until more hard data becomes available, not hearsay. I can't help but think that, had the tech and budget been available, that Roddenberry would have made TOS a bit more active than it was.

As for Fast/Furious shenanigans, well, there WAS that dune buggy in Nemesis, with Picard driving and Worf acting as tail gunner. I'm not condoning, mind, just saying there's precedent for furious driving of off-road vehicles.

Finally: if the Enterprise gets destroyed and replaced by a new model based on the Excelsior, it'll look seeeeeeeeexxxxxxyyyyy. Worth seeing for that alone, in my book.

How would you assume that?

There are several articlesfrom today and yesterday pointing to this answer when Lin was asked about the events in Into Darkness: "[Co-writers] Simon [Pegg] and Doug [Jung] and I have spent some time on that. [laughs] Star Trek has been around for 50 years, and every filmmaker that comes on has a different point of view, and it’s a universe that can support many points of view and journeys and adventures. I embraced what JJ has brought - without him this whole group wouldn’t be together - so I’m definitely very appreciative of him. At the same time, do we address it? No, but we don’t discount it. We don’t sit there and say it doesn’t exist, it’s part of this universe now."

Maybe not a reboot of a reboot, but maybe a minor retcon? Either way, it's interesting.

There are several articlesfrom today and yesterday pointing to this answer when Lin was asked about the events in Into Darkness: "[Co-writers] Simon [Pegg] and Doug [Jung] and I have spent some time on that. [laughs] Star Trek has been around for 50 years, and every filmmaker that comes on has a different point of view, and it’s a universe that can support many points of view and journeys and adventures. I embraced what JJ has brought - without him this whole group wouldn’t be together - so I’m definitely very appreciative of him. At the same time, do we address it? No, but we don’t discount it. We don’t sit there and say it doesn’t exist, it’s part of this universe now."

Maybe not a reboot of a reboot, but maybe a minor retcon? Either way, it's interesting.

That's political speak for, "it sucked but JJ is executive producer and I don't want to be fired so we'll just not mention it either way." Which is actually a good thing, because Simon Pegg had a similar non-comment about Into Darkness.

That's political speak for, "it sucked but JJ is executive producer and I don't want to be fired so we'll just not mention it either way." Which is actually a good thing, because Simon Pegg had a similar non-comment about Into Darkness.

JJ has already admitted his mistakes with Into Darkness. It's not some sacred cow for him.

I am surprised he even cares about STID? he's gonna be literally feasting on... something immoral (maybe dead babies covered in caviar?), with all the cash he's gonna roll in. his ST films will be nothing more than fan films when the historians review his life, in the view of SW...

JJ has already admitted his mistakes with Into Darkness. It's not some sacred cow for him.

Yeah, when he said he never liked the franchise to begin with. Regardless, you don't go around telling everybody the last thing your boss did sucked ass within earshot. That's not how you keep getting work.

Yes let's blame the marketing guys. The director and producers had to have some review over the trailer.

You don't just hand over the movie to the marketing guys and tell them to do their thing without reviewing it. Oops no one wants to see our movie because the marketing guys gave away the ending. If only we had someone reviewing their work.

Yes let's blame the marketing guys. The director and producers had to have some review over the trailer.

You don't just hand over the movie to the marketing guys and tell them to do their thing without reviewing it. Oops no one wants to see our movie because the marketing guys gave away the ending. If only we had someone reviewing their work.

It's likely Justin Lin's contract doesn't give him control over the trailers.

I am quite certain the director for "John Carter" wishes that were true!

For some reason, I've heard about how marketing can sometimes contradict director wishes from other movies as well. Apparently Terminator Genisys was the same. I struggle to understand why they'd give that plot twist away in the trailer instead of on the big screen.

Happened with the original Star Trek 3. The destruction of the Enterprise was supposed to be a surprise, and first they learned it wouldn't be was when they saw the TV ad.

• 3 months later...

I was under the impression that the ship gets destroyed early on, and the crew spends the movie running around on a planet. Looks like this is going to be the "Insurrection" movie of this generation of Trek...

Hey, it could be a lot worse. Insurrection was pretty much just a standard TNG episode with a bigger budget, and though it had a fairly predictable plot full of silliness, it was Oscar material compared with the eye-gougingly bad level of terrible trek fanfic that Nemesis sunk to.

I'm just hopeful that they take the ship blowing up bit, and run with it straight back to a revised ship design that has any sense of realistic internal and external scale to it. I'd say go straight back to the original Connie Refit design, but that's probably asking too much, and I hesitate to imagine what they might "re-envision" it as this time.

• 1 month later...

I'm a little surprised that in this day and age of multiple Trailers, they haven't released a new trailer yet. Especially when the current one is pretty much universally disliked. No damage control has been attempted. Hopefully something soon.

Chris

I'm a little surprised that in this day and age of multiple Trailers, they haven't released a new trailer yet. Especially when the current one is pretty much universally disliked. No damage control has been attempted. Hopefully something soon.

Chris

Yeah, especially given the movie is due out in two months? June or something like that.

I didn't mind the first reboot movie the first time I saw it, but on repeated viewings the plot and plot devices just started to fall apart under repeat observation. The main cast was great, it was just that I felt they wasted a perfectly good set of characters on a plot full of misunderstood callbacks to old Trek stuff, and what I'm just going to refer to as a universe built in JJ-scale (that is, no consistency in any way whatsoever).

Admittedly, I never watched Into Darkness, because the cheap and misused callbacks to TWOK just ruined the concept for me.

I didn't mind the first reboot movie the first time I saw it, but on repeated viewings the plot and plot devices just started to fall apart under repeat observation. The main cast was great, it was just that I felt they wasted a perfectly good set of characters on a plot full of misunderstood callbacks to old Trek stuff, and what I'm just going to refer to as a universe built in JJ-scale (that is, no consistency in any way whatsoever).

Admittedly, I never watched Into Darkness, because the cheap and misused callbacks to TWOK just ruined the concept for me.

This is how I feel about the first movie. Don't bother with Into Darkness, it's like the first movie only so egregious you can't get theough the first viewing without it falling apart (the same with The Force Awakens IMO as well.)

Although I didn't mind watching them, I have to say I feel the same way about them. I think fresh story lines with no need for callbacks to the original movies would have benefited them greatly. Even if it made them more like alternate timeline / universe movies.

Benedict Cumberbatch is such an amazing and talented actor that even though his performance was great but ultimately wasted on a rehash of Khan's character..

Fingers crossed for the third movie!