Tie Fighter

southpaw

Looks like Luke & Wedge weren't flying with this squadron.

Still minus no sound that was beyond awesome, amazing for once to see Tie Fighters & pilots so detailed from the flight controls down to the launch sequence.

Edited by 505thAirborne

Yeah, maybe their way of "editing" the video so they could still play it. Earlier it said it was private and couldn't be viewed, but now it's up. I agree, though, that music was a poor choice though.

Chris

Huh, I must be one of the few who doesn't want this at all. Other then some decent looking versions of Star Wars vehicles and the potential setting from the Empires perspective I don't want to see Tie Fighters with Gundam Pilots in Gundam Cockpits again. The actual cockpits from the movies are interesting enough and the tactics they would have had to use to corral fighters would have been interesting. Just a bunch of "anime" manoeuvrings, especially that silly non-sense with the Tie Bomber completely changing planes while flying. It's an interesting display of animation prowess but this isn't what I want from Star Wars at all.

I live this thing, and wish LF would comission a series looking like this. The video with the music pongs seriously, the music does not fit, though the lady bomber pilot looked to be rocking out to something.

@mommar: I did not see gundam cockpits, I saw just a variation on the movie cockpits with a bit of the game cockpits thrown in, which is fine by me, and what you mean the Bomber changed craft, she was flying the bomber the whole time. i think your beef there is that we see very little of the tie bomber in the movie, and the games tend to treat it as this slow underpowered mess, whereas the creators of this said, heck that whole other pod is nothing but missiles and bombs, let's give it some real hitting power, Itano Circus!!! That pilot is obviously the result of Roy's crossing over to the Star Wars Universe and nailing him some hot corrilian chick.

@mommar: I did not see gundam cockpits, I saw just a variation on the movie cockpits with a bit of the game cockpits thrown in, which is fine by me, and what you mean the Bomber changed craft, she was flying the bomber the whole time. i think your beef there is that we see very little of the tie bomber in the movie, and the games tend to treat it as this slow underpowered mess, whereas the creators of this said, heck that whole other pod is nothing but missiles and bombs, let's give it some real hitting power, Itano Circus!!! That pilot is obviously the result of Roy's crossing over to the Star Wars Universe and nailing him some hot corrilian chick.

And for once, when the Star Destroyers fire with their main battery on any other ship, it obliterates em. Hate the way the movies nerfed them.

Or on the flipside how tthe expanded universe pimped them out.

Did they? I only remember stuff like Star Destroyers getting yanked into the ground by Jedi, SSD getting blown up by hanger explosion etc etc :p

In any case, they are supposed to be pimped up! They were designed (according to Lucasfilm) to take on entire fleets alone!

I think of em like USN Carrier Groups. 1 is enough to mop the floor with almost any conceivable opposing fleet.

• 2 years later...

I'm so glad Paul Johnson has finished his short. A truly astounding piece of work. As a fellow one-man show, I know well the crazy work involved to build something all by yourself over years and I have to say he has accomplished a masterpiece of animation. Remarkable.

And yeah, that score has to be replaced :)

Saw this the other day too - made my nostalgia for X-Wing and TIE Fighter games come flooding back... *swoon*

Said games can be purchased and played on Windows from GoG.com. I plan on grabbing a new joystick soon so I can play TIE Fighter again, then grab X-Wing Alliance. Loved these games when I was in my late teens, and was stoked to see they incorporated the briefing room and the way the cockpit displays looked from the games.

I love how this short film uses styling cues from '80s anime, especially the Japanese-animated American titles such as The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, ThunderCats, SilverHawks, Bionic Six, and StarCom. Action animators these days don't pay attention to detail anymore.