Aliens: Colonial Marines morphs into Isolation

Dobber

Bad press is still good publicity...

The same goes for "Sim City (2013)". The fiasco of its release was in the headlines for more than a month after it was released... and its arguably even worse than A:CM!

• 2 months later...

"What happened to Hicks between Aliens and Alien 3..."

Uh....He went to sleep and died? I guess a video game based on that might be cool, possibly better than the original game itself...

I just watched the walkthrough of Stasis Interrupted. Lisbeth had more character and drive then the original characters we were given in the game. Boy does that suck or what?

On the plus side, we did finally get the answers to hick's history but I still don't think it's enough.

• 2 months later...

I let my son watch Aliens the other week, which he really enjoyed, so I decided to pick up the PS3 game 'Aliens Colonial Marines' on Saturday for us to play together. Had to search more than a dozen game shops before I found a second-hand copy as it was sold out everywhere.

Gotta say, playing the campaign on split screen co-op mode, we are both really enjoying it so far.

The sound is great, the story is pretty good so far, the game is very atmospheric and the graphics aren't too bad.

I've been a fan of Aliens since first watching it as a teen back in 86 and I honestly don't get what's with all the complaints about this game.

Sure it could be a bit more polished, but we're having a blast so far.

Graham

Funny thing about Colonial Marines is the varying price since its release. It started at $60 new, then the bad reviews and lawsuit happened so its price dropped almost immediatly to $25-30 bargin bin relegation which caused it to sell a ton of copies so the price rebounded back to $60 before finally settling at about $35-40 new.

Funny thing about Colonial Marines is the varying price since its release. It started at $60 new, then the bad reviews and lawsuit happened so its price dropped almost immediatly to $25-30 bargin bin relegation which caused it to sell a ton of copies so the price rebounded back to $60 before finally settling at about $35-40 new.

Why would someone still be buying this? I didn't know there were any self-flagellation groups still around...

then this might interest a few:

Aliens: Isolation trademarked filed by 20th century fox

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/21/4861328/alien-isolation-trademark-filed-by-20th-century-fox

Interesting, Creative Assembly seems to be partnered up with FOX to create the next game. But after a little digging around, their games really aren't that spectacular. Their main focus seems to be on PC Gaming versus Console, handheld or mobile. They've got 2 games that were released for the PS3/Xbox 360, and overall their performance is anywhere from Decent, to poor.

Almost sounds like we're in for the same thing just someone different behind the helm.

I let my son watch Aliens the other week, which he really enjoyed, so I decided to pick up the PS3 game 'Aliens Colonial Marines' on Saturday for us to play together. Had to search more than a dozen game shops before I found a second-hand copy as it was sold out everywhere.

Gotta say, playing the campaign on split screen co-op mode, we are both really enjoying it so far.

The sound is great, the story is pretty good so far, the game is very atmospheric and the graphics aren't too bad.

I've been a fan of Aliens since first watching it as a teen back in 86 and I honestly don't get what's with all the complaints about this game.

Sure it could be a bit more polished, but we're having a blast so far.

Graham

Even though you're not in the US, it's rather funny cause on my end, no only is this game plentiful, but real cheap in some areas. Big Box retail stores I've been too put the game under 25 dollars. However places like Gamestop wont even sell a used copy under 35 where I shop.

Yet, I can go to places like Amazon with my Prime account, get the collectors edition which I guess has some fun stuff, and get it for 28 bucks! Or I can get the regular edition for 21. However, season passes haven't changed, which is lame as hell.

Oh just looking now, PS3 edition (which I heard was REALLY bad compared to it's 360 counterpart) is under 20 bucks.

But you know what really gets to me? People who bought the PC copy last I heard got a texture graphics upgrade that made the game a little more closer to what it was advertised to be. Yet console owners like myself got the first set of patch updates to fix the physics issues and that's about it.

If the game drops any more in price, I may pick it up, but I'm talkin 10 bucks.

• 1 month later...

"See how I'm not buying it? I think I've grown" ;)

Seriously, I think I actually did grow by avoiding the purchase of Aliens: Colonial Marines. I've successfully used self-discipline to project my love for Alien and Aliens strictly upon the movies themselves and only those games that actually deserve respect (AVP 2 on PC). I won't touch any Alien product again until the franchise has successfully dug itself out of the gutter. Sorry, but this franchise has been dead for over 12 years.

"See how I'm not buying it? I think I've grown" ;)

Seriously, I think I actually did grow by avoiding the purchase of Aliens: Colonial Marines. I've successfully used self-discipline to project my love for Alien and Aliens strictly upon the movies themselves and only those games that actually deserve respect (AVP 2 on PC). I won't touch any Alien product again until the franchise has successfully dug itself out of the gutter. Sorry, but this franchise has been dead for over 12 years.

Did you like the first AvP-PC (1998) game?

I didn't play the first one on release, only many years after the fact. It was okay but not as good as the second game. IMO, Alien vs. Predator 2 on the PC did everything that a sequel should do; improve upon and/or refine the promise of what the first game created.

• 8 months later...

Well, the shoe is on the other foot now :)

Sega offers to payout $1.25 Million to settle class action lawsuit filed by video game consumers

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136776-Sega-Offers-to-Settle-Alien-Colonial-Marines-Class-Action-for-1-25M

This is turning into a truly entertaining experience and I never spent a penny or wasted a minute on this game. This game deserves some kind of award :)

I paid for the preorder which I have yet to install and play. This experience has turned me off from preordering for good which is bad for developers/publishers that may of released a great game.

Nope. It's good for developers that get a great game on store shelves, since they're no longer competing with high-budget crap.

Preorders exist only to protect bad games from informed customers. Paying for a game you know nothing about is the height of folly.

If a few good games lose a few preorders, it is a small price to pay for putting an end to the boundless abuse that preorders have loosed upon consumers. You'd be hard pressed to find any gamer out there that hasn't been screwed not once, not twice, but many a time by preorders before we all learned our lessons. And like all good scams, preorders are perpetuated not by the experienced or informed, but by younger gamers who have yet to learn better. Eventually it will get better, but it will take another generation's time to do so. So be ready for another 20 years of this crap before things change.

However, we can take something away from all this; Alien: Isolation is doing a preorder scam offering DLC of the original cast reprising their roles for an added mission. Don't fall for it twice and avoid preorders of this game. If it turns out to be good, you can always buy it later (DLC be damned). Besides, if anyone still thinks the odds are favorable for ever seeing a good "Alien/Aliens" franchise game ever again, maybe you deserve preorder remorse :)

Then I applaud either your incredible skill at perfectly choosing games, your incredibly low expectations for games or your charmed lifestyle. :)

Joking aside, your experience is clearly not that of most folks. Or perhaps my own experience and social circles just have had it really bad :)

Well, the shoe is on the other foot now :)

Sega offers to payout $1.25 Million to settle class action lawsuit filed by video game consumers

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136776-Sega-Offers-to-Settle-Alien-Colonial-Marines-Class-Action-for-1-25M

This is turning into a truly entertaining experience and I never spent a penny or wasted a minute on this game. This game deserves some kind of award :)

But not half as entertaining as the game itself... for me, the massive number of bugs and shoddy execution were totally what sold the game. It was like wandering onto the set of someone's unauthorized Alien b-movie. I got at least one laugh for every penny I spent on the game, so IMO money well spent (at discount rate, but still...)

EDIT: Yes, I bought it AFTER I heard what a trainwreck it was... the reviews were so hilarious I just had to experience it for myself.

Then I applaud either your incredible skill at perfectly choosing games, your incredibly low expectations for games or your charmed lifestyle. :)

Joking aside, your experience is clearly not that of most folks. Or perhaps my own experience and social circles just have had it really bad :)

I'd be afraid of Alien: Isolation though... it's got the warning label right there in the bottom right corner.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I'm just in here to say, I hope some day in the future we finally get the Scott/Cameron Aliens sequel some day.

Originally they said it hinged on how well AVP did.. so basically no.

However hopefully if Scott can pull off a good sequel to Prometheus, maybe they can revisit the original final act for lt. Cmd Ripley.

and yes this game sucks, I only know because some other fool bought it, let me play it.

yak

I'm afraid of any "Alien/Aliens" product not because of the alien terror, but for a far more horrifying reason; nostalgia exploitation :)

Ha ha ha! Great phrase.

And I would say that nostalgia exploitation is BIG business. Just look at Transformers as a prime example.

And I pre-ordered Aliens: Colonial Marines, but I started hearing the rumblings and didn't open the package, so I returned that POS and got all of my money back.

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike

Wanna know the trick? play console games and only pre-order through physical stores. If you get a bad feeling close to release, start seeing bad press, or just decide you don't want the game any more, don't pick it up.

Edited by anime52k8

Wanna know the trick? play console games and only pre-order through physical stores. If you get a bad feeling close to release, start seeing bad press, or just decide you don't want the game any more, don't pick it up.

Or in the case of colonial marines, no news before release means bad news.

But not half as entertaining as the game itself... for me, the massive number of bugs and shoddy execution were totally what sold the game. It was like wandering onto the set of someone's unauthorized Alien b-movie. I got at least one laugh for every penny I spent on the game, so IMO money well spent (at discount rate, but still...)

EDIT: Yes, I bought it AFTER I heard what a trainwreck it was... the reviews were so hilarious I just had to experience it for myself.

I bought it on sale because I figured I'd had five bucks worth of fun reading the patch notes.

How do you convince yourself a game in that state is shippable unless you're guaranteed sales no matter how awful it is? Which... okay, I can't blamne preorders SOLELY for that, because I knew people that bought FF13 knowing how bad it was. They admitted it was bad and they wouldn't like it, "but it's Final Fantasy so I have to play it."

Yup-watching that youtube clip back in the day when this game was released literally had me leave the store and drive back home. I don't get how they screwed this game up-if you watch the making-of skits they try to come off as if they researched to high-hell on how to make this game. Oh well...

Yup-watching that youtube clip back in the day when this game was released literally had me leave the store and drive back home. I don't get how they screwed this game up-if you watch the making-of skits they try to come off as if they researched to high-hell on how to make this game. Oh well...

Having played PART of the game, there's some GREAT ideas in there. But they're rough ideas that never got a chance to shine amidst all the murk.

And then the game gets gimpy with aliens moonwalking down halls or running into corners, and it becomes hilarious instead of tense or frightening.

And that's really the worst thing about it. Not that it's a bad game, but that at some point during it's development, someone was genuinely trying to make the best damn Aliens game they could before Gearbox utterly and irrevocably destroyed it.

Having played PART of the game, there's some GREAT ideas in there. But they're rough ideas that never got a chance to shine amidst all the murk.

And then the game gets gimpy with aliens moonwalking down halls or running into corners, and it becomes hilarious instead of tense or frightening.

And that's really the worst thing about it. Not that it's a bad game, but that at some point during it's development, someone was genuinely trying to make the best damn Aliens game they could before Gearbox utterly and irrevocably destroyed it.

I had read or heard somewhere that some sort of DLC had been published to fix the AI and some other issues; any truth to that?