Aliens: Colonial Marines morphs into Isolation

Dobber

It's easy to understand what went wrong. Gearbox decided they didn't give a crap anymore because they wanted to work on their own original IP, so they stuck Colonial Marines in a closet somewhere and started spending all their time working on borderlands/borderlands 2, while still continuing to tell Sega they're working hard on their game and accepting regular checks from them.

Of course you can only get free money out of someone without doing anything for so long, and at some point Sega wised up and told Gearbox to get it done by X date or the checks would stop coming in, so Gearbox dumped the whole thing on TimeGate studios and told them to finish a game that was less than a quarter done in under 6 months.

Edited by anime52k8

^^^All true. Too bad that Gearbox probably still made money off of this wreck of a release, so no lesson to be learned there...

I had read or heard somewhere that some sort of DLC had been published to fix the AI and some other issues; any truth to that?

It's been patched enough where it's just sub-par now instead of comedically terrible. If they were selling the fixes to make it half the game it should have launched as, I'd be furious.

It's been patched enough where it's just sub-par now instead of comedically terrible. If they were selling the fixes to make it half the game it should have launched as, I'd be furious.

Well I just checked with Steam and the game is there for $14.99, and there are 9 patches available for $10 each. If it takes $90 to make this game sub-par then...........

Well I just checked with Steam and the game is there for $14.99, and there are 9 patches available for $10 each. If it takes $90 to make this game sub-par then...........

*looks*

Those are map packs and new guns and a new episode. Not patches.

None of the bug fixes are contained in those, though one of the bug fixes was specifically FOR those(the "limited edition" version came with Ripley's flamethrower, and it had an annoying tendency to fire even when you weren't pressing fire in the game as shipped).

The bug patches are as free as they always have been. And automatic these days, which blows my crotchety old mind. The first patch included better textures and "various visual improvements" too, and I HAVE seen companies charge for that before.

As I said, it would be truly outrageous if companies started charging for bug fixes. Even moreso given the state Aliens LAUNCHED in. THIS remains fully in the realm of parody... for now.

That said, wait for the next time it goes on sale. I paid five bucks, so can you.

In the meantime... just read the patch notes and laugh at the incompetence. Bullets bouncing off open doors, characters walking through closed doors, and even doors that just didn't "open properly".

And this is just THE DOORS.

Not that the patch notes are themselves free of glitches.

"Resolved issue where campaign Motion Tracker could incorrectly in multiplayer loadouts."

That's copy/pasted, lest you think I made a mistake in transcription.

I dunno I think I might keep the 5 bucks. I've enjoyed every Alien game up to now, so even at a deep discount this particular game has a lot to live up to...

Would maybe buy the 360 version since that was slightly tolertable when I had rented it since it's 10 bucks. Although I'm still meh.

Now that I've been reading more and more on Isolation I'm beginning to step back and go "Wait...I thought they said the game was gonna be different each time you die the alien is not in the same location as before?" apparently that's not entirely so...and now I'm seeing more in game graphics and it's looking even less appealing to me.

• 3 weeks later...

This is just so much fun. Who could have guessed the amount of ancillary entertainment this "game" would bring. Popcorn time! :)

Sega Blames Gearbox for Aliens: Colonial Marines Misleading Marketing

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137262-Sega-Blames-Gearbox-For-Marketing-In-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Lawsuit

It's noteworthy how personal this debacle has now become. Each news item is talking less and less about the companies and more and more about the people involved. We're starting to read names more than anything else and that might be a good indicator of who the big egos/personalities were that clashed on the way to making this pixelated turd :)

so pretty much in the end, Colonial Marines for better or worse is going to end up losing more money than they ever tried to put in or take. "We're sorry you played a horrible game even though deep down in the basement files we knew it was going to be bad but we wanted to sucker you for it anyways. Here's 60 cents of your portion of the law suit you won."

• 4 weeks later...

So with only a few days left for a possible redemption by Sega after the colossal failure of Colonial Marines, Isolation is already in hands by popular game reviewers and bloggers and it's..........a mixed bag of bad nuts with the lowest score I've seen being a 5.9, which in my terms is still an F.

Many have agreed that while the graphics are good, and the atmosphere is brilliantly put in place with everything you could hope for to recondition and authenticate Ridley Scott's image of the ALIEN tech and verse, the game play is still not amazing, and even at the easiest setting you are bound to be frustrated as hell and bored after the first 10 hours of the game.

Reviewers clock the game at 21 hours which is a plus considering that many popular hit titles usually only last maybe 8-12 hours from start to finish. However the reason for the long play is due to your character Amanda Ripley being constantly killed as you're being hunted by the notorious Xenomorph.

With the alien following a non-script like programming, it becomes very difficult to anticipate let alone truly be scared after the first couple of failed attempts. Using techniques like hiding under tables, lockers, behind storage bins and waiting long periods can get you caught by the Xenomorph after a few attempts.

You have to use a wall mounted telephone to make your saves and since it saves in-game the alien could suddenly appear. I've witnessed footage of someone playing and while getting ready to save are impaled by the aliens tail resetting them to a previous check point.

This game doesn't seem to be everyones cup of tea, unless you wanna see how many ways and times you can be killed by the alien in a single sitting. if that's the case I suggest turning it into a drinking game if you feel ballsy enough and got an ample supply of spare livers.

Reviewers clock the game at 21 hours which is a plus considering that many popular hit titles usually only last maybe 8-12 hours from start to finish. However the reason for the long play is due to your character Amanda Ripley being constantly killed as you're being hunted by the notorious Xenomorph.

And Super Mario Brothers is only about twenty minutes long if you omit the constantly dying part. I think it's totally fair to include the time taken to master the game as part of the total play time.

With the alien following a non-script like programming, it becomes very difficult to anticipate let alone truly be scared after the first couple of failed attempts. Using techniques like hiding under tables, lockers, behind storage bins and waiting long periods can get you caught by the Xenomorph after a few attempts.

Think of the replay value! Rather than memorizing scripted checkpoints and optimal routes, you need to understand how the AI works and the map is set up. Everyone will have a different experience every time they play. It's a beautiful thing.

I fully expected the scare factor to wear off after a little while. It's a shame, but whatcha gonna do?

You have to use a wall mounted telephone to make your saves and since it saves in-game the alien could suddenly appear. I've witnessed footage of someone playing and while getting ready to save are impaled by the aliens tail resetting them to a previous check point.

BAHAHAHAHA! That's amazing!

Okay, granted I was pissed as hell when i got murdered at a telephone save point in Parasite Eve. But it's probably my own dang fault for trying to make a phone call in the middle of a chase scene.

This game doesn't seem to be everyones cup of tea, unless you wanna see how many ways and times you can be killed by the alien in a single sitting.

Isn't that what an Alien game SHOULD be? :p

Honestly, I'm going to stand back and see what happens for a bit. I fully expected mixed reviews, with some punishing it aimplt for following Colonial Marines, some boosting it simply because it's a horror game in the Alien setting, some hating it for not being memorizable or Rambo-able, and some loving it for the same reason.

It's a perfect storm of how to generate crazy unstable reviews.

But EVENTUALLY some truth of how solid a game it actually is will settle out.

Think of the replay value! Rather than memorizing scripted checkpoints and optimal routes, you need to understand how the AI works and the map is set up. Everyone will have a different experience every time they play. It's a beautiful thing.

I fully expected the scare factor to wear off after a little while. It's a shame, but whatcha gonna do?

Given the amount of attention to detail and styling they gave the level graphics, I would like to explore the space station and not feel like I'm gonna turn a corner and get face mauled by an 8 foot acid bleeding monster.

I think what some reviewers dislike is that yeah, it's kinda scary, the alien is very unpredictable and at times you could be in the same spot for 5 minutes waiting before you can move another 10 feet.

But more that you don't have that jump factor from shadow play or random sounds.

BAHAHAHAHA! That's amazing!

Okay, granted I was pissed as hell when i got murdered at a telephone save point in Parasite Eve. But it's probably my own dang fault for trying to make a phone call in the middle of a chase scene.

I saw a gif from Kotaku.com of the player checking Ripley's email and suddenly SPOINK! tail ripping right into her.

Isn't that what an Alien game SHOULD be? :p

Honestly, I'm going to stand back and see what happens for a bit. I fully expected mixed reviews, with some punishing it aimplt for following Colonial Marines, some boosting it simply because it's a horror game in the Alien setting, some hating it for not being memorizable or Rambo-able, and some loving it for the same reason.

It's a perfect storm of how to generate crazy unstable reviews.

But EVENTUALLY some truth of how solid a game it actually is will settle out.

I dunno, I would of liked maybe a way or two to combat the alien scare it with your flame thrower or shut a hatch at it so it can't get you. But guess none of that is possible. And once you come into contact with frantic humans and working joes the Alien is more likely to get you as they're causing to much noise and drawing it's attention. Which could help you if you're smart and you avoid these people and use them as bait to distract the alien. Another is how clever you got to be in order to avoid it, lockers, tables, air vents, storage bins, noise makers, flares, holding your breath, they're not always going to work as the AI learns your habits so it can get you. I get that, but I don't exactly wanna die 15 times in the same spot cause I'm stuck on my choices.

A game should be random and as unpredictable as it can be, especially in this day and age. If not, we could pull out our NES', blow off the contacts of Contra and happily play away to patterns we've memorized for eternity. What I DON'T like about this game that I've heard of is

that there is no way to actually KILL the Xenomorph. You spend the entire game hiding and trying to out-guile the alien, which is fine, except there should be a way to exact some sort of victory over the alien other than successfully hiding from it. IMO, if this is true then the game will be lacking because of your inability to actually slay the monster. I mean, they could've employed two or three aliens on the whole ship, or something, I dunno...

All reviews for Alien Isolation have been above average, which is great. positive scores allround.

The only one that gave it 5.6 or whatever was IGN. Who are BS at reviews at best,so I take whatever they say with a handful of salt.

I cant wait to play it, I really just love the chance to walk around the space station in such detail and with creepy ass synthetics and a Alien to keep me on my toes,its a win.

Actually, reviews for Alien: Isolation from the legitmate/credible game blogs and websites (IMO, Polygon, Giant Bomb, Escapist, etc) have been respectable if not all that enthusiastic. The general consensus seems to be the game is punctuated by moments of genuine terror and features true innovative gameplay techniques (especially in the first half), but can't sustain any entertaining gameplay for it's 20 hour length, mostly due to poor implementation of it's core gameplay mechanics. Giant Bomb said it best: if you've not played any survival horror games, Alien: Isolation would be an ideal introduction into the genre with enough new, scary and fun gameplay to make for a generally fun experience; if you're already familiar with survival horror video games of the last 10 years, Alien: Isolation is barely above average and is nearly as likely to irritate veterans as it is to thrill them. I'd love to jump on the band wagon and trash Alien: Isolation, particularly in light of the legendary awfulness of Aliens: Colonial Marines. It's just not the case here.

But as I've said before, in my opinion the Alien/Aliens video games can't be this "barely above average" quality if they want to excite me. This many decades into the "life cycle" of the Alien/Aliens franchise, we deserve nothing less than a great game from such an exploited property. What I expect...no, WHAT I DEMAND of an Alien/Aliens video game is nothing less than the likes of Middlearth: Shadows of Mordor. Shadows is a game that doesn't reinvent the wheel, but rather present a beloved franchise like Lord of the Rings in a game that expertly combines gameplay mechanics from Batman/Assasins Creed games with a highly innovative AI system we've never seen. The result is a perfect franchise exploitation game; infinitely fun game play merged with your favorite fictional franchise in such a way that allows you to adore all over again that which you loved about Lord of the Rings.

I agree with Vepariga that IGN are practically impotent for video game reviews regardless of whether we're talking good games or bad games. At best, they are an unimaginative echo chamber for far more credible gaming websites. At worst, they are the poster children for compromised game coverage, playing the role of corporate shills that are simply another arm of triple-A game marketing.

Got my preorder notice for Isolation and it's going to be ready for pickup Tuesday (I'm too old for midnight releases)... sooo looking forward to this! I recently completed Dead Space and have been working through Dead Space 2, which are similar in theme but trend more towards the "shooter" side of things, so a more "survival" focused game will be a nice breath of fresh air. I just hope the PS3 version hasn't been pared down much on account of it being on a last-gen system.

even after patches there were still errors. I remeber I kept getting health depleted on a level and I couldn't figure out why until I looked down and there was an alien who merged with the floor and could follow me around until I got to a door that could shut. then it got stuck in the door!

I'm giving isolation a try just for the cheap scare. it's arroving off amazon tomorrow and comes with the last survivor of the nostromo map.

even after patches there were still errors. I remeber I kept getting health depleted on a level and I couldn't figure out why until I looked down and there was an alien who merged with the floor and could follow me around until I got to a door that could shut. then it got stuck in the door!

That is amazing.

Honestly, I'm kinda glad for Colonial Marines being this way. It's legendary.

Okay, so I'm playing, and so far I'm not liking it. The cinematics are some of the worst I've seen in a long time, very plastic looking. But I'm also hating how I gotta keep back tracking and afraid I missed something cause I can't find the damn Ion torch to move on!

lol. I see it as the usual alien pattern where an hour into it and the alien will make its appearance. just like the original 2 movies.

I found my mistake, there's a hatch I can open below me but the way my character moves and the limited viewing angles and lack of guides really make it difficult for me to progress. I've gotten to use to the game telling me where to go with icons and there's NONE of that.

try again tonight, hope to see the alien then.