New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle "Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5. Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also help write and produce.

Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/...tion=cnn_latest

Interesting that they're going with the Starfleet ST characters, they talked about this a while back I think being the t.v. series before what became "Enterprise". Wonder what actors they're gonna try and mimic Shatner & Nimory over. Should be "Stark Trek: 90210-The School Days".

Jim Henson's Star Trek babies? What will they think of next!

393095[/snapback]

Wow!

Gotta give Berman credit for waiting ALMOST SIX MONTHS, before grinding out another Trek project.

The co-writer director may be able to pull off what Nicholas Meyer has done with TOS movies.

I'm not quite ready to shoot this one down yet. There's not enough info. I like most of the original movies (even most of the TNG movies were decent)... I believe one gets better mileage out of star-trek storylines if they're limited to 2-3 hours instead of an entire season (sounds bass-ackwards, I know, but TNG is the only ST tv series I've been able to stomach)

Others will disagree, I'm sure. I plan on watching this one develop.

They're going to have to be very, VERY careful though...Kirk and Spock are iconic characters and Shatner's and Nimoy's performances burned into the public mind. They'd better cast their net far and wide to find the actors to play them, and not resort to *shudder* Jude Law or *shudder* Orlando Bloom or *barf* Ben Afleck.

Wonder if the young version of spock and kirt would will semi look like the originals or got realy lazy and randomly pic a guy. My luck if i watch it all the tos chars have theire nationality changed around like scotty becomes asian and sulu is some guy from the bronx.

Gotta give Berman credit for waiting ALMOST SIX MONTHS, before grinding out another Trek project.

393101[/snapback]

Word is, Berman is not attached so be thankful.

393117[/snapback]

If that's true then I have hope for this project.

Berman = Bad Trek

So basically, this will be "Star Trek - Dumb and Dumberer".

As for the comment about getting Jude Law or Ben Affleck in the roles. I don't think you have to worry about that. Any top list actor is sure to not touch it with a ten foot pole unless offered some role where they can ham it up as a cheesy villian.

Trek's not dead yet. Eventhough B&B tried their best to kill it. I don't know about J.J. Abrhams but he's proven with Lost & Alias. Besides, Kirk & Spock are the most recognizable characters in the Trek francise. So I'll give it a try.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

No plot for the movie has been nailed down and no one has been cast for the film

Associated Press story

So which is it? Early Kirk and Spock, or no plot nailed down?

Frankly, I'd rather not see anything with Kirk and Spock... especially Spock... because no one in my mind save Nimoy could BE Spock.

But... yay Star Trek!

I want the script to capitalize off the success of broke back mountain.

Two young cadets sharing a room. Stranded and fighting to survive on a horrible planet. They find love and then try to cover it up.

Makes perfect sense.

Kirt tries to hide it by dating many woman but never settling down. Spock represses sexually altogether (with an occasional seven year itch). Just look at Spock's death in the Wraith of Kahn. That wasn't two best friends saying good bye but two true life partners to be.

Keep reaching for that finally frontier.

The movie needs romulans! There arne't enough stories about the romulans!

And yes, I know they were front and center last film. They finally get a chance to steal the spotlight from the klingons, and it's the worst movie since 5.

No plot for the movie has been nailed down and no one has been cast for the film

Associated Press story

So which is it? Early Kirk and Spock, or no plot nailed down?

Frankly, I'd rather not see anything with Kirk and Spock... especially Spock... because no one in my mind save Nimoy could BE Spock.

But... yay Star Trek!

393172[/snapback]

I agree with the sentiments.

Also... not using established characters makes them free-er in the writing. ESPECIALLY not using original series characters.

If you're writing a Kirk story, people EXPECT certain things from your leads, regardless of what the rest of the movie is. It places a tremendous burden on the actors to match performances with some of the most-recognized sci-fi characters of all time, and on the writers to fit their characters to a certain template.

Starting fresh means the slate is clean, and all avenues are open.

If he stays, its going to be very curious if he brings in certain elements that seem to be staples in his TV shows - Conspiracy, goverment blackbag ops, self righteous WASPy lead female protagonists (Felicity, Sydney Bristow, Kate).

Wait... they're making a Voyager movie about Section 39?

Sorry, I had to.

Trek's explored those angles before, though.

Some more successfully than others(DS9's Section 39 stories were actually interesting, but Captain Janeway sucked).

Less Janeway is always a good thing. If they DO throw a strong female character in, I certainly hope she's not patterened after that particular version of the concept.

Obviously Kirk and Spock are the key players but I wouldn't put it past Abrams to shove a large female lead role between them.

As an interesting trivia note, they TRIED to give Uhurua a major role in the original series. Desilu sent any script giving her a more signifigant presence than "hailing frequencies open" back for revision. I gather it was one of the things that drove Rodenberry crazy, and giving him the final say was one of the major things that got him to do Next Generation.

Hopefully they find a good villian. ST2 was great because of Khan. The rest of the movie villians were pretty lackluster after that.

That's one of the things I historically like about the Trek franchise, actually. They don't stick to a single formula.

Kahn was as good as he was in part because he was singular. If he was one of a series of villains with axes to grind, he'd've been downright DULL. But as a singular entity, he was a compelling villain.

That lack of formula also means there's a wide variety of stories.

I greatly enjoyed Wrath of Kahn also.

But I enjoyed 3, 4, and 6 too. Each one had a diffrent kind of story to tell.

And while there've been a few universally reviled stories to come out of that approach, I think that overall the franchise has benefitted from it.

A young Kirk and Spock, huh? Maybe they could fashion this Academy-esque movie after the high school motif of American Pie, or something...

Geez, why don't they just give the franchise a rest?

Look, I'm a big Trek fan (especially DS9). But there has been some form of new Star Trek on TV and in movies for practically the past two decades now.

And that's a pretty impressive streak of longevity there. But for the love of all that is good and holy, can the powers that be please let the franchise rest for the next few years (or even a decade)?

Look, it's pretty sad when even your shows' most ardent fans are going "meh" to the idea of new movie. I remember when "First Contact" was still in production getting excited about just seeing a diagram of the new Enterprise E.

Now, I'm just not all that gah-gah about any new Trek. Plus, you've got re-runs of the various series running all over the place on TV, and DVD's of all the series and all the movies to fill anyone's Trek fix.

It's time for the Star Trek franchise to sit back and take a long-deserved hiatus.

Besides, isn't absence supposed to make the heart grow fonder?

Lord knows, it's kept me a fan of a 20 year-old Japanese cartoon! ;)

So long have I successfully ignored the Trek franchise. But now...now I find news of cancelled Trek shows, Trek film bombs and pathetic Trek revival concepts strangely enthralling. I watch this dying, struggling beast of a franchise as the wounds fester and the bloody mess slowly turns brown and crusty with a certain abhorrent interest. The gasps come in phlegmy gurgles with such grotesque miscarriage I should be driven mad at the sight of it, yet I find myself unable to avert my gaze...the death throes shrieking so loud my hands cannot prevent the sound from shaking my mind! OH THE HUMANITY! :)

I was a Trek fan growing up. Loved The Next Generation. Liked DS9. Stopped watching with Voyager. Avoided Enterprise like the plague after watching an episode or two.

Loved Star Trek II, VI, and First Contact.

Wanted the movie version constitution class enterprise refit toy since I was little, and I finally got one from Art Asylum.

Give it a rest, or do something brand new, but for the love of god and all that is holy: MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!!! Uh, I mean, don't do a prequel and give a killing stroke to the franchise... Although maybe a killing stroke would be better and put the whole damned thing out of it's misery.

think Jay and Silent Bob should be a young Kirk and Spock

I can see it now.

"Lunchbox I don't care WHERE we go, as long as I nail some space chick and be like........yeaaaaaaah you want some of dat? yeah you like that? mmmmmmm yeah baby do a lil of dis...oooooh lil of dat."

I honestly thought after First Contact........the thing went down hill.......just no life left, hell......they killed Data....................................THEY KILLED HIM!

I don't think going back AGAIN to the past is going to give us anything new. They need to stick with the next generation universe. I would prefer a new TV series to this movie which will probably bomb. Think about it, no young people know who kirk, spock and bones are. But also, the whole crew on a starship genre is done, I can't think of anything else they could do in this setting that we havent seen before. (Except Battlestar Galactica, I love that show :) !)

Star Trek ended for me after The Wrath of Khan.

Though I feel bad for the franchise now, as it's being milked for every penny it's worth. Enterprise flopping should have been clue enough that Star Trek's reached it's limit... but some people can't seem to take the hint.

I want to see the Enterprise-F!!!!!! A Ceti bug crawls up Riker's butt, he goes renegade in the USS Titan, controlled by a 24th Century Scientologist to fly to the center of the galaxy to kill Xenu, and the Enterprise-F is sent on a search and destroy mission. ENOUGH OF THIS PREQUEL STUFF!!! To boldly go where no one has gone before....let's stick to it. Hopefully all the nerd backlash on the web will shut this down. Wasn't the Starfleet academy idea brought up after Star Trek 5 as an idea for ST6 but they came to there senses and made the Undiscovered Country?

Think about it, no young people know who kirk, spock and bones are.

393378[/snapback]

I think you're quite mistaken.

Kirk & company aren't just old TV characters. They transcended that a long time ago.

I want to see the Enterprise-F!!!!!! A Ceti bug crawls up Riker's butt, he goes renegade in the USS Titan, controlled by a 24th Century Scientologist to fly to the center of the galaxy to kill Xenu,  and the Enterprise-F is sent on a search and destroy mission.

:lol::lol::lol:

The only way thay will even start to make this, is by getting actors who look like young Shatner and Nimoy etc to do this as someone who just looks good behind the camera will be no good. just think if they had used then new actors in BSG but kept the old scripts. It wouldnt have worked.

How difficult is it to get some college photos of Bill and Lennod and go through some casting agenceys bookes to find someone who looks the same.

Just add a good/outstanding script and they may pull it off.

I do think that the prequel thing is over, after all Lucas is done with it and Enterprise is dead. finish with it and do eaither a new (after TNG era) series or just can it for a few years and do something when everyone is really clamoring for it.

I'd rather see a movie about one of those alternate universe timelines where everyone's at war. Where Kirk and Spock were all evil (can't remember exactly, it's been years since I watched the original series) and everyone's cut-throat.

Heh, movie about Evil Emperor Spock and his continuing quest to conquer strange new worlds, to enslave new lifeforms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no conqueror has gone before. :lol:

I'd rather see a movie about one of those alternate universe timelines where everyone's at war.  Where Kirk and Spock were all evil (can't remember exactly, it's been years since I watched the original series) and everyone's cut-throat.

Heh, movie about Evil Emperor Spock and his continuing quest to conquer strange new worlds, to enslave new lifeforms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no conqueror has gone before. :lol:

393579[/snapback]

They did that serveral times in DS9 and Generations, lastly they did it in Enterprise. It had real pontential I thought. Shame they never persued it.

I thought the Enterprise E kicked ass as it sorta looked like a "modernized" version of the B.

now if they actually had space fighter combat in the next one, that would be awesome...transforming fighters, even better!