Robotech: Live Action Movie!?!?!?!?

All I can really say is W T F???

They're kidding, right?

I guess HG wants to go for broke?

I would think it would be smarter to see how the OAV sells before they start production on a TV show where you would actually need things like ratings and advertising dollars.

If done seriously it could be interesting, even good. But who am I kidding? This thing, if it becomes reality, is most likely going to suck so much its going to make Stealth (ducks mods' rath :p ) seem like an unqualified master piece of movie making worthy of critical acclaim.

I've already started some digging and it seems like something is indeed in the works. Looks like this is the same situation with that company that's putting out those 12" Macross figures... they put the story up on their webpage before robotech.com could. Hopefully we'll find out what the real deal is in the hours and days ahead.

Anyway, these guys need to consider Areaseven's list of suggested actors for a live action Robotech movie! :p Did anyone notice that it looks like they got a new Voltron series in the works, too?

Edited by Apollo Leader

That Voltron series has been in development for a looong time. I believe I first heard about it around 3 or 4 years ago. And it still looks bad. They're re-imagining of the crew looks like some kind of mash-up of that new powered up loony toons show and the power rangers.

Not surprised, I think also that HG wants to be pioneering the movies like Lucas did in 77 with SW. If the movie succeeds then many will think that HG are the original ones who made this franchise not Bigwest and another thing more Valk merchandise.

From what I understand overall that HG thinks that they are the next George Lucas.

Excellent I've always wanted to be in a direct to DVD B movie featuring giant robots! I was too young to be in Robo-Jock. Now I have a chance for Robotech!

I want to play the bossy Veritech Pilot Instructor who always insults the hero by saying things like,

"You think you're good enough to pilot a Robotech? Robotech is about Robotech. Robotech isn't about you. It's about Robotech."

Then later once I see the hero grow into a real pilot,

"By the Robotech! I was knew he was the Robotech."

lol

Macross purists think that if it ain't Macross it won't work. All I can say is most of us are Macross fans because of Robotech, believe whatever you want when you go to sleep at night, but at least these guys are perpetuating the Macross fan base in future generations.

Although we may not agree with the histroy of Harmony Gold, they did get us our VF fix, accept it, move on, and let the bigwigs fight it out cuz it's all about money in the end, yours, mine, theirs, his.

All I can say is.... I'm glad that it will probably be based on the Macross Saga and New Gen/Mospeada will likely be unmutilated

Wouldn't it be easier for them to base this off of new gen or SDCSC? I can't imagine Big West would look the other way if HG tried to do a live-action TV show based on Macross. Hell, I can't believe Kawamori would sit idly by while some american company was hell bent on bastardizing his brain-child.

My magic eight ball says the producers want this to be like BSG, but it will be more like Robot Jox.

I don't think there is any way they can use Macross mecha, they don't own the designs right? I know they own animation rights, but live action is totally different.

374427[/snapback]

Actually, they don't own the rights to use Macross designs in ANY derivative works whatsoever.

They can't them in new live-action OR animated productions. Hence why all the characters in The Sentinels were redesigned.

Macross purists think that if it ain't Macross it won't work.  All I can say is most of us are Macross fans because of Robotech, believe whatever you want when you go to sleep at night, but at least these guys are perpetuating the Macross fan base in future generations.

Although we may not agree with the histroy of Harmony Gold, they did get us our VF fix, accept it, move on, and let the bigwigs fight it out cuz it's all about money in the end, yours, mine, theirs, his.

374379[/snapback]

And what has HG done since then? Rereleasing the original trilogy 100 thousand times, mining that community to death, putting out a forgettable series of comic books, and forever hinting that they are going to release a "sequal" and a bunch of poorly made toys, while restricting the release of quality products associated with the actual line.

Compare that to Macross Zero, 7, Plus, the Hasegawa/Yamato merchandise ect.

Whose got the better track record of supply us with macross goodness, and perpetuating the fan base?

I think the answer is pretty clear.

PS. I watched Macross as a child, not robotech.

Robotech to the rescue!!! :D

No live action movies please. If they have to, instead do it animated like the animated transformers movie (but with violence) or instead all CG like the final fantasy spirits within movie. I just think it would be more exciting this way when you show battroids, qraus, destroids and giant people fighting.

Remember in the later matrix movies how they had that mech? I want to see destroid done up like that. And I want the valks to look and move like the bsg tv series. (not like star wars)

It could actually turn out good if they get the right people behind it, but I am not going to hold high expectations. Like the guy above mentioned: so many empty promises.

The thing about scienace fiction movies these days is pretty much all of it will try to model itself from star wars and pretty much a lot of what you see in star wars ends up CG anyway. (the environmeents, the aliens, the ships, the worlds etc) So to eliminate the need for overpaid actors, make the whole thing cg with cg people and use some of the old robo VA.

Even if it turns out crap, and go straight to video, I have a feeling I will watch it out of curiosity. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Robotech Live Action Update: Info Taken Off Of Kickstart's Site!

Well, maybe the Robotech Live Action story reported this weekend was just a fluke, because it's no longer listed on Kickstart's site.

This weekend, on the "In Production" page, Robotech was listed under the heading "Live Action TV Series," and now its listed as "Animated Direct To Video." Under the site's "In Development" page, Robotech was listed under the heading "Live Action Feature Films" and is now gone completely.

So is that it? Who the hell knows. Oh well, at least we had something to talk about for 48 hours.

Courtesy of Darkwater's THE (unofficial) Robotech Reporter

robotech_full.jpg

I'm going to go throw up now....