Macross streaming on Disney+ (under the "Star" label; Star/Hulu of D+)

That's the last service I would have expected.

I would have expected Sony's Crunchyroll to be the ones to get it, since Funimation is now part of it and carries work by the companies that licensed the various titles for the West.

Maybe Sony is trying to get that Disney muscle to help get the final push to wrestle the original series/DYRL back. Or, maybe we all just woke up in crazy world this morning...

How hard would it even be for Disney to "convince" HG to allow SDF and DYRL on D+?  Heck they could buy HG out for the amount the spend on days worth of Disneyland toilet paper.

10 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

How hard would it even be for Disney to "convince" HG to allow SDF and DYRL on D+?  Heck they could buy HG out for the amount the spend on days worth of Disneyland toilet paper.

Hg will probably hold out for even more money now.

I’m curious on edits. I have a feeling they’ll chop some stuff to please the mouse 

55 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Probably gonna keep on sailing the high seas for my Macross fix.

I'm not sure I understand this. We complained for decades about how difficult it was to get anything Macross outside of Japan. And now that it's opening up and we'll have legal options, you're still going to pirate it? That's kinda a stick in the eye to Big West who is trying to make this available to us.

1 hour ago, Knight26 said:

Is it even necessarily HG they have to convince?

IIRC, Animeigo's Robert Woodhead once commented that the issue with DYRL? licensing was that nobody knew who for certain had the international rights after the attempts to localize the film in the 80's.  HG has basically delegated all things Robotech to Funimation as of a few years ago too.

5 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Is it even necessarily HG they have to convince?

IIRC, Animeigo's Robert Woodhead once commented that the issue with DYRL? licensing was that nobody knew who for certain had the international rights after the attempts to localize the film in the 80's.  HG has basically delegated all things Robotech to Funimation as of a few years ago too.

That is my recollection as well.

17 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

I'm not sure I understand this. We complained for decades about how difficult it was to get anything Macross outside of Japan. And now that it's opening up and we'll have legal options, you're still going to pirate it? That's kinda a stick in the eye to Big West who is trying to make this available to us.

You probably misunderstood...

I took it as just not wanting to support HG or Disney...so just keep buying straight from Japan....

As for SDFM-DYRL....have no choice at the moment anyways...

So Disney is now muscling in on Sony's near streaming anime monopoly. M'kay. Are they going to start working on breaking up Netflix's K-drama near-monopoly? I'm not entirely sold on these other shows Disney is bringing in outside of Macross.

Look, if getting Disney involved is the way we can finally get all the Macross (well, almost), I am okay with it. Now we just need them to lean really hard on HG. If anyone has the material clout to wrench the rights to SDF and DYRL away from HG it's Disney. Now let's all make sure to watch everything multiple times. Send the message that we want the whole story. Let's not drop the ball folks. 

HG must have some figure in their head as to what a licensing deal is worth to them and/or an outright sale of their interest in "Robotech-Macross"...let's just hope those numbers did not get Disney+'d with this latest news...🤑

23 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, uh.. I feel like my reality checks are all bouncing at this point.

Did I wake up in some weird parallel universe?

Like.. I'm pretty much done with Disney regardless, but this is just a wild twist.

Hasn't it generally been conceded that we shifted into some weird parallel universe around the time someone shot that one gorilla?

1 hour ago, azrael said:

So Disney is now muscling in on Sony's near streaming anime monopoly. M'kay. Are they going to start working on breaking up Netflix's K-drama near-monopoly? I'm not entirely sold on these other shows Disney is bringing in outside of Macross.

Are they, though?

This is really a strange outcome.  I think most of us were expecting Macross to land on the Sony-owned Crunchyroll service, not just because of its dominant position in streaming anime but because most of the companies involved are owned by Sony directly or indirectly.  Sony bought Funimation in 2017, and merged it with Crunchyroll after buying that in 2021, and then Crunchyroll bought Macross distribution licensee Nozomi Entertainment in August 2022.

It makes you wonder what the heck happened that, after all this effort to get Macross licensing under Sony's banner by hook or by crook the streaming license landed at Disney...

7 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Hasn't it generally been conceded that we shifted into some weird parallel universe around the time someone shot that one gorilla?

Are they, though?

This is really a strange outcome.  I think most of us were expecting Macross to land on the Sony-owned Crunchyroll service, not just because of its dominant position in streaming anime but because most of the companies involved are owned by Sony directly or indirectly.  Sony bought Funimation in 2017, and merged it with Crunchyroll after buying that in 2021, and then Crunchyroll bought Macross distribution licensee Nozomi Entertainment in August 2022.

It makes you wonder what the heck happened that, after all this effort to get Macross licensing under Sony's banner by hook or by crook the streaming license landed at Disney...

Nah....genius move by BW...what better way to boost your WWM campaign than by attaching your product to the most widely known media company in the world...

I'm just waiting for the Disney-Macross crossover merch now....lol

Edited by jvmacross

I'm actually thinking this might be related to the relationship Disney already has with Bandai for certain things.  They've been cross-pollinating properties for a while.

I can't really help but crack up about their choice of a poster child for that announcement though.  The franchise as a whole isn't something I'd really consider targeted to young kids, but Plus in particular is probably the most mature subject matter in the entire library.

Edited by Chronocidal

11 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Nah....genius move by BW...what better way to boost your WWM campaign than by attaching your product to the most widely known media company in the world...

One which isn't known for anime and is the origin of the stigma that animation is only for kids?  Plus the license would've almost certainly had to have come via Sony, whose subsidiaries have the distribution rights. 😕

11 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I'm just waiting for the Disney-Macross crossover merch now....lol

... now that is a potentially bizarre idea.

Macross Delta for Kingdom Hearts IV? lol 

10 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

One which isn't known for anime and is the origin of the stigma that animation is only for kids?  Plus the license would've almost certainly had to have come via Sony, whose subsidiaries have the distribution rights. 😕

It should be noted that it was recently announced that Sony would be handling Disney's physical media releases going forward (something Disney itself had all but stopped). 

9 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... now that is a potentially bizarre idea.

Macross Delta for Kingdom Hearts IV? lol 

Dunno....isn't Disney involved with the Studio Ghibli stuff?

As for the crossover merch....this is a big collecting category for Disney collectors....there are several for various IP's like Star Wars, Marvel and Indiana Jones....I think I even saw Mickey in TRON gear! LOL...

4 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Dunno....isn't Disney involved with the Studio Ghibli stuff?

Formerly. Currently, they're on Max.

Edit: Shout! Factory did the most recent blu-ray releases.

Edited by Duke Togo

6 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

Formerly. Currently, they're on Max.

Edit: Shout! Factory did the most recent blu-ray releases.

Got it....

Maybe Disney just wants to get back in...or ran out of American IPs to ruin...;)

I'm curious if the Macross shows will get dubs or just subs?