New Macross Animation Announced, to be animated by Sunrise

seti88

On 7/6/2023 at 6:52 PM, grss1982 said:

VFs with fin funnels, anyone? :D 

TBH. it's really odd to see Sunrise do a Macross show.

lol, we got Valks with bits and funnels back in Macross II and its tie-in Macross: Eternal Love Song in the early 90's.

Though the number of dockable drones in Macross Delta is certainly veering back into that territory.

Gundam-y Macross has been done before.  Does nobody remember that Lord Feff is a Char, complete with horned red mecha that's three times faster? :rofl: 

On 7/9/2023 at 4:54 AM, Gaijin said:

I'll be happy if it actually gets released here in US.

Then rejoice and be glad... because that's what we're getting.

1 hour ago, kazuo said:

Witch from Mercury is better than anything Macross since Plus came out. Facts.

Opinions... and questionable ones at that.

The Witch from Mercury was a thinly written mess with a barely-there plot that frequently forgets what the hell it's doing and why, and can't even present a consistent vision of its own setting despite being just twenty-four episodes long.  Beautifully animated, tho.

47 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

Witch mercury still suffers of confused teenagers piloting mechs that shoot sailor moon magic. 

... OK, as critical as I am of G-Witch, now I'm just questioning if y'all actually watched the same series I did because there is NOTHING like that in there.

47 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

But I'm on some page that Frontier and Delta are short of the expectations left by Plus and Zero... 

Which, more than anything, reflects the difference between older Macross fans in the west and the rest of the Macross fandom.

Macross Plus and Macross Zero may be beloved by older fans in the west, but among the majority of Macross fans they're considered middle-tier at best.  When Big West polled the fans in '19 shortly after Passionate Walkure came out, Macross Frontier was the #1 ranked series overall and had a strong showing in every category of voting.  Not a surprise, given that Macross Frontier is the most successful series to date.  Macross Plus ranked 7th and 8th, and Macross Zero ranked 11th (out of 16).  

I have a feeling that the older fans in the west are going to be somewhat disappointed with the next series, given that the darker and more action-centric titles like Plus and Zero got ranked well below the brighter and more character-focused titles like FrontierDYRL?7SDF, and Delta.  They might be bringing Macross to the west, but it's a safe bet that they'll be prioritizing the Japanese audience's preferences while making it.

1 hour ago, kazuo said:

Witch from Mercury is better than anything Macross since Plus came out. Facts.

Opinions..

I'm looking forward to the teaser art. And hopefully we'll get something to ponder visually before the end of the year!

27 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... OK, as critical as I am of G-Witch, now I'm just questioning if y'all actually watched the same series I did because there is NOTHING like that in there.

Season 3 comes to mind. The amount of energy pouring out of these mechs is beyond exorbitant. 

image.png.3efa976d50dbfa073dedd0b9dcb36e96.png

And you saying the main leads are not teenagers running in circles around their actions?  

29 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Which, more than anything, reflects the difference between older Macross fans in the west and the rest of the Macross fandom.

Macross Plus and Macross Zero may be beloved by older fans in the west, but among the majority of Macross fans they're considered middle-tier at best.  When Big West polled the fans in '19 shortly after Passionate Walkure came out, Macross Frontier was the #1 ranked series overall and had a strong showing in every category of voting.  Not a surprise, given that Macross Frontier is the most successful series to date.  Macross Plus ranked 7th and 8th, and Macross Zero ranked 11th (out of 16).  

I have a feeling that the older fans in the west are going to be somewhat disappointed with the next series, given that the darker and more action-centric titles like Plus and Zero got ranked well below the brighter and more character-focused titles like FrontierDYRL?7SDF, and Delta.  They might be bringing Macross to the west, but it's a safe bet that they'll be prioritizing the Japanese audience's preferences while making it.

Does this have a source or is it opinion? 

Just now, Raikkonen said:

Season 3 comes to mind. The amount of energy pouring out of these mechs is beyond exorbitant. 

... that show only has two seasons.  Are you sure you're not confusing it for something else?

And you saying the main leads are not teenagers running in circles around their actions?  

No, confused teenagers are pretty much the norm for mecha anime...

I was remarking on the "shooting sailor moon magic" part... 

Does this have a source or is it opinion? 

It's the results from the All Macross Grand Vote that NHK conducted in March-April 2019 as a followup to their All Gundam Grand Vote from 2018.

Over 250,000 votes were received during the one month response period, rating their favorite Macross animated features, mecha, characters, and songs.  The results were announced at the end of Golden Week 2019 along with a demographic breakdown of voting by sex and age.

My suspicion that older fans expecting something more like Plus or Zero are going to be disappointed is opinion... but based on the last several extremely successful works, it's an opinion well-supported by precedent.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... that show only has two seasons.  Are you sure you're not confusing it for something else?

Nah, it's this. I keep thinking the single prologue episode as season 1. The screenshot is from the last episode when the gundams got together to spin into that energy thing that shined through most of the galaxy. Hence, me calling it sailor moon like magic.  

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's the results from the All Macross Grand Vote that NHK conducted in March-April 2019 as a followup to their All Gundam Grand Vote from 2018.

Over 250,000 votes were received during the one month response period, rating their favorite Macross animated features, mecha, characters, and songs.  The results were announced at the end of Golden Week 2019 along with a demographic breakdown of voting by sex and age.

My suspicion that older fans expecting something more like Plus or Zero are going to be disappointed is opinion... but based on the last several extremely successful works, it's an opinion well-supported by precedent.

Aha, I was unaware of this, I swerved away from Macross back then for some years and missed it, and also lost my original profile here. 

I won't argue that Zero, SDF and Plus fans will likely be disappointed if they're thinking Anime in general is still how it was back in around 2008. However, Sunrise/Bandai has surprised it's Gundam fans with grounded works like Thunderbolt and Hathaway, so there is that slim possibility that whatever they have planned might slot into medium. 

With that said, being in Europe, the west over here may not be into the actual Frontier and Delta animes itself, but both young and old fans are swooping up the merch, especially the mechs and kits. 

59 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

With that said, being in Europe, the west over here may not be into the actual Frontier and Delta animes itself, but both young and old fans are swooping up the merch, especially the mechs and kits. 

Yeah...Our live watch parties (threads) told a different story, especially with Frontier

1 hour ago, Raikkonen said:

Nah, it's this. I keep thinking the single prologue episode as season 1. The screenshot is from the last episode when the gundams got together to spin into that energy thing that shined through most of the galaxy. Hence, me calling it sailor moon like magic.  

Eh... it's no different to the other explicitly-scientific shining BS in Gundam.  Just badly explained.

Jeez... with this topic it feels like the Macross Delta threads where I had to keep reminding folks that "No, it's not magic or magical girls... it's not even new, this is all tech that we've seen before." :rofl: 

I won't argue that Zero, SDF and Plus fans will likely be disappointed if they're thinking Anime in general is still how it was back in around 2008. However, Sunrise/Bandai has surprised it's Gundam fans with grounded works like Thunderbolt and Hathaway, so there is that slim possibility that whatever they have planned might slot into medium. 

... "surprised" is true, though not all surprises are necessarily pleasant ones esp. with the Japanese audience's tastes differing somewhat from the western audience's.

Mind you, Thunderbolt's edgy writing got the same kind of mixed reviews Macross Plus and Zero did and Hathaway's Flash owes its "old school" style to being a direct-to-streaming adaptation of a thirty-four year old light novel rather than an original development meant for broadcast.  A story written today is not going to have the same tone or sensibilities as something written in '89.

Macross Frontier did a pretty brisk trade outside Japan when it came out and was generally well-received by Macross fans.  It's no accident that, when they started releasing Macross toys outside Japan, the first Worldwide Macross edition DX Chogokin was a VF-25.  The promos for the Macross Shooting Insight game that's coming out soon also pretty heavily favor the VF-25 and Frontier.

Macross Delta was initially received with quite a bit of enthusiasm because of Macross Frontier, and while older fans soured on it a bit because of issues with the writing it still did a pretty brisk trade among the younger viewers.  I know that, going to SDCon, I've seen quite a lot of Macross Delta cosplay.  Walkure seems to be especially popular.

Frontier and Delta especially seem to be much more popular with women than previous installments, with the Grant Vote results for those shows being almost even with slightly more women than men as opposed to the sometimes 80 or 90% male votes for previous titles.

Considering the success they've had, I think it's safe to assume Macross is going to continue building in that general direction.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

along with a demographic breakdown of voting by sex and age.

And as I recall, the age slices of the pie were pretty close to the top entries on the list. It looked like most folks' favorite Macross was "the TV show airing when I was young"

1 hour ago, snakerbot said:

Every time I read "Witch from Mercury" it sounds like something out of a Calvin and Hobbes strip.

If only it were as well written as one.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

And as I recall, the age slices of the pie were pretty close to the top entries on the list. It looked like most folks' favorite Macross was "the TV show airing when I was young"

There is a certain amount of that there, especially for the very oldest shows works, but it gets a lot more even as the works get newer... more like +/- 10 or 15 instead of +/- 50.  The Macross Frontier titles have some of the most even distributions across the 20-29, 30-30, and 40-49 demographics.

For all of the light/fluffy idol bits, Frontier got dark in the closing arcs, and the movies even ramped that up.  I'd throw myself firmly in the bracket that loves Plus and Zero, but Frontier was not lacking in what made me like them, and I do think it's up there with the original series in terms of story and characters.  They managed to make a compelling and mostly mature storyline with high schoolers.

Delta... just wasn't that.  Somehow they managed to make actual paramilitary mercs feel more like kids than Frontier did.  It had a lot of potential (mostly wasted), and an interesting setup, but the characters were painfully underdeveloped, and the plot went most of the same places Frontier did, with none of the charm or grace (or battroid/gerwalk combat).

Now.. Frontier had an unfair musical advantage, because Yoko Kanno is just Yoko Kanno.  But it wasn't Delta's music that dragged it down.

I'd be perfectly happy if this new series is produced on the same level as Frontier, but I hope they spend a bit more time developing the characters and story this go-around.

Edited by Chronocidal

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

For all of the light/fluffy idol bits, Frontier got dark in the closing arcs, and the movies even ramped that up.  I'd throw myself firmly in the bracket that loves Plus and Zero, but Frontier was not lacking in what made me like them, and I do think it's up there with the original series in terms of story and characters.  They managed to make a compelling and mostly mature storyline with high schoolers.

Delta... just wasn't that.  Somehow they managed to make actual paramilitary mercs feel more like kids than Frontier did.  It had a lot of potential (mostly wasted), and an interesting setup, but the characters were painfully underdeveloped, and the plot went most of the same places Frontier did, with none of the charm or grace (or battroid/gerwalk combat).

Now.. Frontier had an unfair musical advantage, because Yoko Kanno is just Yoko Kanno.  But it wasn't Delta's music that dragged it down.

I'd be perfectly happy if this new series is produced on the same level as Frontier, but I hope they spend a bit more time developing the characters and story this go-around.

Utterly agree. Frontier held onto it's military foundation, while Delta completely shift towards teenage social themes. 

10 hours ago, JB0 said:

It was a revolution for most kids back then in the West. Majority of daytime shows then were very safe and daily life lessons driven. Suddenly here's this show with a terrifying alien threat bringing mass slaughter, and the heroes take the fight in fighter jets that transform into robots. It was a pure adrenaline rush for a child's mind. And this was just through the "Robotech" branding.

And that sensation reignited when the internet arrived and searches for 20 bit images of Robotech, lead to the Macross universe, and this happened all while there was a explosion of Manga and Anime imports on VHS in the West. 

So is there no hope that this will be Macross the First animated? I would love to watch with my son but I feel guilty making him watch the ancient stuff. I guess HG would be able to stop VF-1 toys with new paint schemes being sold as "Macross the First" products though... 

47 minutes ago, jenius said:

So is there no hope that this will be Macross the First animated? I would love to watch with my son but I feel guilty making him watch the ancient stuff. I guess HG would be able to stop VF-1 toys with new paint schemes being sold as "Macross the First" products though... 

It's a possibility. While Sunrise/Bandai has a preferred and tested formula, at times they've surprise it's fans.

I'm leaning towards a retelling of the original with perhaps slightly re-designed valks to fit marketing and toy engineering needs. If not, then definitely a sequel to Delta with a fresh clean slate for the sake of new merch to collect. 

A lot of the polling is obviously recency bias, let's be real. Delta is terrible. Frontier is also fairly recent and something that a large number of the polled populace likely grew up with. Color me shocked at the result.

If you put me on a desert island and I could only watch one show out of the following for the remainder of my life: Delta, Frontier, 7, Witch, I'd pick the Witch 100 times out of 100. You guys are absolutely crazy if you think I want to listen to Planet Dance one more time, or see AKB48 in the sky, or Ranka. Witch is far from high art and it has a lot of flaws, but I stand by what I said about it being better than anything post-Plus.

I actually think Frontier is the best of the post-Plus shows without question, but it has its own flaws: bad CG that doesn't really hold up, Ranka, silly folding alien MacGuffin nonsense, flimsy antagonists, a largely dislikable main character, and Ranka. But it does have Sheryl, so there's that.

Macross The First would actually be the best case scenario in terms of a new series, but then we have the issue of Hikaru's voice to contend with.

Edited by kazuo
idk lmao

10 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

It would be fair to say that Delta had all the right pieces to be successful... it had great character designs, great mechanical designs, one of the biggest and most interesting settings yet written, some absolutely fantastic music, and high quality animation. The writing just did not seal the deal.

IMO rather a lot of the writing issues can be traced to the sheer size of the cast. It was easily three times the size of a usual Macross cast, so there just wasn't any opportunity for the writers to develop many of the characters and still advance the story. Having five main pilots, five members of the idol group, and then six enemy pilots (five if the twins only count as one) meant there just wasn't enough screen time to go around. With the series also functioning as a promotion for the idol group's live concerts, they put more emphasis on Walkure than was strictly necessary. Some writing choices combined in ways that were probably unintended as well, like the setting being a backwater and the way the PMC the protagonist work for loses most of the battles in the show's first half combines with their opposition to authority to make them look like incompetent jerks. (Admittedly, incompetent PMCs is kind of truth in television but they were probably supposed to come off as cool rebels doing the right thing instead of as contrarians losing because they couldn't stand to do what they were told.)

6 hours ago, jenius said:

Considering the prevailing legal situation, I would not say there is no hope... just that it is very unlikely because it would require much of the series and its merchandising to go through HG's approval process due to the use of designs from the original series like the VF-1.

25 minutes ago, kazuo said:

A lot of the polling is obviously recency bias, let's be real.

If that were the case, the results should have been very different from what they were.

Were recency bias a major factor, we would expect to see Delta place much higher than it did given that the two most recent titles at the time were the Macross Delta TV series and its first movie. They placed 6th and 9th overall. We would also not expect to older shows and movies placing above newer ones, never mind both of the two oldest titles in the top five. DYRL placed 2nd, Macross 7 placed 3rd, the original series placed 5th, and Macross Plus placed 7th and 8th. The third most recent title, 2012's FB7, is the lowest ranked of the lot at 16th.

Likewise, we would not have expected Basara, Minmay, and Roy Focker in the top five characters if recency bias were driving the results... Nor would we expect to see four different versions of the VF-1 on the list of top 10 mecha or the original version of DYRL at the top of the songs chart.

The TL; DR here is that the results don't bear out your attempt to handwave them away as biased.

Macross the First, just using the VF-0, Cheyenne, and Koenig Monster. Done and done! :lol:

(No, but actually though. The VF-0 feels like a proper modernization of the VF-1 that should be the default from here on out. It fixes the size discrepancy, it fixes the proportions, etc. It's just an improvement in every way.)

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Considering the prevailing legal situation, I would not say there is no hope... just that it is very unlikely because it would require much of the series and its merchandising to go through HG's approval process due to the use of designs from the original series like the VF-1.

So HG has a say on DYRL?

But lets say Sunrise does a remake of the original with slightly altered designs, and maybe the story has some deviations along the same path, and it will be a Japan release? Can HG intervene? 

35 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

So HG has a say on DYRL?

For merchandising, yes... since 2001.

They picked up the merchandising rights to the movie from Tatsunoko Pro back then as a part of their effort to lock Macross sequels out of the West and put a stop to toy imports from Japan. On paper, they supposedly did it to protect the toy line Toynami developed to coincide with their reboot and relaunch of the Robotech franchise.

35 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

But lets say Sunrise does a remake of the original with slightly altered designs, and maybe the story has some deviations along the same path, and it will be a Japan release? Can HG intervene? 

If the release were a Japan exclusive, Harmony Gold wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about it. They have no rights there.

The goal these days, however, is "Worldwide Macross". That means contending with the trademarks Harmony Gold has held in the US and formerly held in other markets to keep Macross out of those markets. It would not be impossible by any means, but it would be rather more legally fraught than just doing a new series since they would have to also go and deal with the trademarks Harmony Gold has on certain designs from the original series instead of just on certain key terms and the title.

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

For merchandising, yes... since 2001.

They picked up the merchandising rights to the movie from Tatsunoko Pro back then as a part of their effort to lock Macross sequels out of the West and put a stop to toy imports from Japan. On paper, they supposedly did it to protect the toy line Toynami developed to coincide with their reboot and relaunch of the Robotech franchise.

If the release were a Japan exclusive, Harmony Gold wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about it. They have no rights there.

The goal these days, however, is "Worldwide Macross". That means contending with the trademarks Harmony Gold has held in the US and formerly held in other markets to keep Macross out of those markets. It would not be impossible by any means, but it would be rather more legally fraught than just doing a new series since they would have to also go and deal with the trademarks Harmony Gold has on certain designs from the original series instead of just on certain key terms and the title.

Thanks for insight.

But this has me more curious to why then Macross Zero Merch (the tamashi HMR) is now allowed globally, yet an international release/Dub of the series remains taboo. 

Which has me thinking that maybe the Sunrise project might end being a redo of Zero? 

4 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

But this has me more curious to why then Macross Zero Merch (the tamashi HMR) is now allowed globally, yet an international release/Dub of the series remains taboo. 

I don't recall there being any roadblock for Zero.

Just for the original series and DYRL.

I would assume that the reason a license hasn't been announced yet is because all of the licensees are waiting to see how the more popular titles in the series do before they get into the more niche and for fans only sort of material.

4 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Which has me thinking that maybe the Sunrise project might end being a redo of Zero? 

Definitely not.

There's definitely no logical reason to assume anything based on Zero is going to happen.

Honestly besides the clear fan interest in an SDF era remake, I don't know why people think it's a possibility. Even if it didn't have legal issues, it's so will documented that Kawamori and Big West aren't interested in going backwards anymore. It's so much easier to keep moving forward. Literally anything is possible that way, with no restrictions or story hampering.

Any concerns of the way stories are written today, whether it's Japanese audience interests over Western or just shifts in generational expectations, a prequel or remake isn't going to fix that, if anything a remake would veer into today's sensibilities and just turn the original into something older western fans would dislike lol. 

8 hours ago, Master Dex said:

There's definitely no logical reason to assume anything based on Zero is going to happen.

Not just because Kawamori et. al. have a preference for moving the story forward rather than revisiting existing stories, but also because Zero isn't really all that relevant to other works in the franchise. Its impact on subsequent works as a self-contained story is very small.

7 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Maybe the next series will be...

Reveal hidden contents

A race of sentient pineapples that declares war on both the Zentraedi and Human races, sending out gigantic pineapple ships loaded with... pineapples. But not any ordinary pineapples; these specially trained pineapples are to allow themselves to be dissected and cut up, as to make...

PINEAPPLE SALAD.

When they have taken out in this manner the aces of the fleets, then they shall launch their pineapple carriers, loaded with pineapple fighters, to remove all non-pineapple people from the galaxy! When this is done,. then they shall settle the former worlds of these now-extinct races, glean their technology, and create a new civilization under the rule of the Great Pineapple Himself, Maui Pineapplus Maximus.

But as peace settles, they must beware of treachery from two fronts: the first is the race known as the Grapefruitians, whom seek domination for their own glory. Holding to a false peace under a ruse of a treaty, they secretly prepare their own forces as to destroy the Pineapplians the moment they let their guard down. To facilitate this, they Grapefruitians have corrupted one of the Pineapplian's own, Maui's brother Kauo Pineapplius, as to betray them from within by obtaining the secret pineapple code and transmitting it to the Grapefruitians.

Against this backdrop, a young Pineapplian named Kauai has recently joined the Pineapplian forces, but secretly loves a young Grapefruitian by the name of Lanai, who stands on the street corner selling banana leaves to passers by. But as much as she likes Kauai, her heart belongs to Kauo and she is destined to join with him. All the while, the general of the forces, Spikus Bromelinus, seeks to break the young Kauai and turn him into a mindless puppet in the vast war engine of the Pinapplians, He feels that one should only ever seek to die for the glory of the Pineapplian Empire. All the while, his arch nemesis, the cunning and treacherous Grapefruitian Marshall Citrisi seeks to engage Spikus in one-on-one mortal combat, to determine honor and the final right to declare victory. He knows of the plan that corrupted Kauo and disappproves of it, as he feels there is no honor in this subterfuge.

While all this is happening, Maui has hidden from everyone a horrible secret: his mother was a Grapefruit, and because this unholy union was not natural, he is dying of an incurable disease that requires him to drink Grapefruit juice daily. But these treatments are failing, and he is beginning to wilt and wither. He secretly hopes to maintain peace long enough to try to find a cure for this condition and revitalize this once great Pineapple.

And with all of this, one lonely Pineapple loves Kauai from afar, but he does not notice her. She pines, but keeps her unrequited love hidden behind shyness and the basket-weaving cart of her crusty father, Pineapple Pizza.

What do you folks think?

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah...either I've finally lost my mind,  or I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too much free time on my hands.... But at least it's better than The Witch from Mercury!

That honestly sounds like it should be an in-universe b-movie. We know from Frontier that VF pilots have in-universe memes and in-jokes about things that have gotten characters killed in previous shows. This sounds like the Macross universe's version of Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. It would actually be rather nice to get a more diverse look at the media in the setting, since almost all of what we've seen of it is dramatizations of the events of past shows, traditional arts, and the occasional conveniently timed TV news report.

You know, that might be a fun idea for a future Macross series... a story about a movie or TV series crew producing one of those in universe works of fiction in partnership with the military.

I think just about everyone would love a reboot of SDFM . Especially with Macross The First style and reference. But i also agree it isn't very likely. 
And while it is expected the next story will continue forward into the future, i would hope that the powers that be could see the potential in doing a side story or tie in , from a previous era. Again, I'm not holding my breath. But ,as much as new Macross stories may stand alone , there is most certainly a tendency to use older characters and events as strong reference points.

10 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I think just about everyone would love a reboot of SDFM . Especially with Macross The First style and reference.

Maybe everyone but me. I want them to leave well enough alone.

I wouldn't mind seeing another show set during the same period, but I don't want to see the same show over again. Or worse, a bungled version of the same show which stains the original.

10 hours ago, Bolt said:

I think just about everyone would love a reboot of SDFM . Especially with Macross The First style and reference. But i also agree it isn't very likely. 
And while it is expected the next story will continue forward into the future, i would hope that the powers that be could see the potential in doing a side story or tie in , from a previous era. Again, I'm not holding my breath. But ,as much as new Macross stories may stand alone , there is most certainly a tendency to use older characters and events as strong reference points.

AFAIK Kowomori will not do a remake because the voice actor for Hikaru was a friend of his who died a while ago. That's why I think just a redo of the art and visuals mated to the original soundtrack would be great enough.

13 hours ago, JB0 said:

Maybe everyone but me. I want them to leave well enough alone.

I wouldn't mind seeing another show set during the same period, but I don't want to see the same show over again. Or worse, a bungled version of the same show which stains the original.

I agree. To me, one of the strengths of Macross is that it does keep doing things based on new characters and events, even if there are frequent callbacks and references to past shows.

On 7/12/2023 at 4:33 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

I don't recall there being any roadblock for Zero.

Just for the original series and DYRL.

I would assume that the reason a license hasn't been announced yet is because all of the licensees are waiting to see how the more popular titles in the series do before they get into the more niche and for fans only sort of material.

Definitely not.

I get you. But I'm probably in the minority here that feels Macross 7 and Delta just feel disjointed from the rest in this time line, so perhaps a alternative timeline rebuild that is more consistency wouldn't be so bad? 

3 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

I get you. But I'm probably in the minority here that feels Macross 7 and Delta just feel disjointed from the rest in this time line, so perhaps a alternative timeline rebuild that is more consistency wouldn't be so bad? 

You're definitely in the minority there.  From what I've gathered, that's kind of how the main Macross audience in Japan feels about Plus and Zero.

Besides, if Macross didn't radically shake its formula up with each new installment it wouldn't be Macross anymore... it'd just be off-brand Gundam.

I'd be quite happy if what came next deviates from what we've seen recently from Macross. Not looking to cause trouble with those who like Delta, but it just wasn't for me. I'd prefer something more traditional out of this next show. Even if that means Kawamori isn't involved.

Edited by Duke Togo