Bandai HG 1/100 YF-29

lechuck

So under 1/100 banner, these kits are not accurate in scale, right?

From Macross Mecha Manual:

YF-19 Battroid at 15.48m (w/o cannon)
YF-29 Battroid height unknown
VF-25 Battroid at 14.53m (w/o bead guns) / 15.59m (w/ beam guns)

Assuming that YF-29 is close to VF-25 measurements. Based on that 'official' sizes, putting YF-19 up to the YF-29 chest is oh so wrong.

18 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

So under 1/100 banner, these kits are not accurate in scale, right?

From Macross Mecha Manual:

YF-19 Battroid at 15.48m (w/o cannon)
YF-29 Battroid height unknown
VF-25 Battroid at 14.53m (w/o bead guns) / 15.59m (w/ beam guns)

Assuming that YF-29 is close to VF-25 measurements. Based on that 'official' sizes, putting YF-19 up to the YF-29 chest is oh so wrong.

I think any attempt to actually assign a scale to that YF-19 is a fool's errand at best, but yeah, I would assume they based the measurements on the length of fighter mode, and didn't try to account for the proportional shifts in battroid.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

It's quite a messy design... So many things sticking out from everywhere... 

it’s definitely an overdone look. It ends up kinda junky. The basic model doesn’t look bad though, but I’m still not a big enough fan, although the Max colors definitely look better than the red

Lol. I finally got something from HLJ. They added 1 set of decals for YF-29 Max ver. to my private warehouse. Still no regular YF-29 or its decal sheet in sight. And predictably the YF-29 Max kit itself went right to backorder. I guess I'll be waiting for the Max kit to show up locally, as I did with YF-19 and the first YF-29.

12 hours ago, Big s said:

it’s definitely an overdone look. It ends up kinda junky. The basic model doesn’t look bad though, but I’m still not a big enough fan, although the Max colors definitely look better than the red

Yeah, the Max scheme improves it. 

Perhaps without so many attachments on the wings will look better. But never a battroid fan with that insect type head. 

10 hours ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Lol. I finally got something from HLJ. They added 1 set of decals for YF-29 Max ver. to my private warehouse. Still no regular YF-29 or its decal sheet in sight. And predictably the YF-29 Max kit itself went right to backorder. I guess I'll be waiting for the Max kit to show up locally, as I did with YF-19 and the first YF-29.

Yup, HLJ'd again...  Don't know why I bother pre-ordering from them.

13 hours ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Yep, Bandai are really cutting back on domestic-for-export allocation, it seems. At this point you should just order any Bandai stuff locally. Or I dunno, I see a bunch of these pop up on Yahoo Japan after their release. If you can get a good deal, you might still save some money going through a proxy, even after accounting for Japanese domestic shipping, international shipping, and proxy fees, given the exchange rate. You would think Bandai could make international prices more competitive while still making a decent profit, but the jacked-up local prices dictated by them still don't save you anything compared to just trying your hand on importing a kit or two yourself. It's frankly a bit ridiculous.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

You would think Bandai could make international prices more competitive while still making a decent profit, but the jacked-up local prices dictated by them still don't save you anything compared to just trying your hand on importing a kit or two yourself. It's frankly a bit ridiculous.

Yeah, I’d be totally on board with just getting them locally all the time if the prices weren’t so much higher. It’s not as bad for the kits, but their other products with similar weight seem to go up more depending on the base price rather than weight or size of the packaging 

On 10/11/2023 at 6:07 PM, Big s said:

Totally removable and in a much better color and has a cooler pilot as well, even if it’s kind hard to tell 

Plane and Gerwalk are my favorite modes, so yes, without the packs is more for tastes for this VF. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found time to make some progress on my Alto YF-29

Battroid mode is almost done, at least until HLJ ships the waterslide decals

IMG_20231025_002010.jpg.fb8bebd274de1e7adc74ddc771b26f5e.jpg

For the Fighter parts, I reused the pilot and clear purple part from the old Fighter mode kit. It fits perfectly on this kit, just needed to cut a small tab cause the snapping method is different.

IMG_20231025_002537.jpg.daf3050b9243ee672fa92e627d19d15d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...