Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

sh9000

2 hours ago, danth said:

Well, that was fun. Didn't know it was a thing until today!

I stumbled on it a few years back when searching YouTube for stuff related to the old cartoon. I was very surprised to see the commercial and that it wasn’t from the U.S. either. A few other people I knew had seen it as well in the same type of accidental search. 
There was also eventually a Toy Galaxy episode that brought up how popular the cartoon was in South America and that they had toys that never made it here. I was surprised that it had this big of a fandom down south 

3 hours ago, Big s said:

I stumbled on it a few years back when searching YouTube for stuff related to the old cartoon. I was very surprised to see the commercial and that it wasn’t from the U.S. either. A few other people I knew had seen it as well in the same type of accidental search. 
There was also eventually a Toy Galaxy episode that brought up how popular the cartoon was in South America and that they had toys that never made it here. I was surprised that it had this big of a fandom down south 

The Cartoon was, still, popular because of infinity reprises on daily morning children tv programs

In Brazil, because some legal issues or economical policies, like Market Reserve, many toys enterprises needed to make some "Brazilian way" to supply the buyers for some items.

Because It, we have some collections or figures what don't exist in another countries, like Vlix from Star Wars' Droids Cartoon; Iceman from Secreto Wars, or Steel Cobra from Comandos em Ação (G.I. Joe in Brazil)

And not forgetting S.O.S Comandos collections (a "original" collections inspired in Comando toyline)

image.png.909b2635106fd0b1af685d8050057d55.png

Edited by Old_Nash_II

• 2 weeks later...

Solid entertaining movie with fun characters! Chris pine played his character well, i felt.

CGI was quite well done esp the dragons and the magic fights. Certain scenes may scare younger sets, but the comedy would be comforting..

Did not expect an emotional anchor to the story, but there it is. 

Enjoyable romp through fantasy land with references to DnD cartoon and PC games.

👍👍

3 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Solid entertaining movie with fun characters! Chris pine played his character well, i felt.

CGI was quite well done esp the dragons and the magic fights. Certain scenes may scare younger sets, but the comedy would be comforting..

Did not expect an emotional anchor to the story, but there it is. 

Enjoyable romp through fantasy land with references to DnD cartoon and PC games.

👍👍

That’s what I was hoping to hear. Sounds like a fun movie, and seems to be surprisingly good to the people I’ve heard from 

Saw this Thursday afternoon with my 14 year old. I had so much fun watching it and loved how it drew in the feeling of my youth playing 2nd edition D&D while incorporating elements from todays 5th Edition rule set. I absolutely thought that the story, the fight scenes and the effects were top notch, and if they continue with this formula, can see this turn into a franchise for Wizards/Hasbro.

Twich

Just came back from seeing it.  Was it a masterpiece of cinema?  One of the greatest films I ever saw?  Not at all.  But it was an entertaining film, set in the Forgotten Realms with recognizable names and factions, with D&D monsters and races, and not just a generic fantasy film with the Dungeons & Dragons brand slapped on (looking at you, 2000 D&D movie).  It was clearly written by someone or (someones) who have played the game.  Indeed, the film played out a lot like a mini campaign, with the characters in the film often joking or making the kind of decisions that real players do that make real DM's shake their heads.

TL:DR: It's a good movie that actually looks and feels like D&D, worth seeing but doubly so if you've actually played the game.

I liked this one a lot. No, it's not masterpiece theater, but it is a fun, adventurous romp that had me from beginning to end. The characters and their interactions were very well done, with nice humor. This more than washed away the stain of 2000's D&D movie! And the Warcraft one...

Bring on more!

Realistically speaking, John Wick 4 will have far more staying power, and Super Mario Bros premieres this Friday -- likely to dominate for weeks; so, despite an above expectation opening weekend and positive reviews in general, the likelihood that D&D:HAT will break even during its theatrical run is dubious and profitability is highly unlikely.  Time will tell, but it does not look good.

4 hours ago, mechaninac said:

Realistically speaking, John Wick 4 will have far more staying power, and Super Mario Bros premieres this Friday -- likely to dominate for weeks; so, despite an above expectation opening weekend and positive reviews in general, the likelihood that D&D:HAT will break even during its theatrical run is dubious and profitability is highly unlikely.  Time will tell, but it does not look good.

You’re definitely correct about those two films taking energy away. But I don’t think this movie had a marvel or dc budget and it did seem to have some good numbers internationally as well. Seems more nerds and geeks feel a closer bond to Dungeons and Dragons than they had for Shazam and Antman, but I don’t really know all the numbers on this one and maybe it won’t break even right away or at all.

The writers have gone on record saying they weren't trying to make a blockbuster film or the tentpole of a new cinematic universe, they just wanted to tell a good story first and foremost.  It's got a way to go yet before earning back it's budget, currently around $72 million worldwide this weekend (on a $150 million budget), but $72 million actually beats their projections ($65 million) and they seem pleased enough with the reception so far that a sequel is being discussed.

The break-even industry standard is 2.5 x budget; therefore, at 150M, the movie needs to make 350-375M, profit would require something close or above 400M.  Could it reach those thresholds theatrically?... anything is possible, but it will require staying power.

• 2 weeks later...

Over 2 weeks since release and, at 130.46M worldwide proceeds and down to 6th place - 7th domestic (Box Office Mojo, IMDBPro, 4/15/23), this thing is still over 200M away from breaking even.  I think it's safe to say that it's done and will lose a considerable amount of moolah for Paramount... likely, they knew it was going flop, which is why they chose to release it when they did.

I saw it the other day. As others have said, its not going to be remembered as a great work of art but it is great fun. In the UK, we have public holidays every so often called "Bank Holidays" and at least before streaming etc became a thing there were certain movies that would always seem to be shown on TV on them - "The Last Starfighter", "The Great Escape", "The Princess Bride"; movies that you might only see bits of at a time on such days but which stuck in the head forever and I can think of no greater praise for this film than to say that its a perfect Bank Holiday Movie.

3 hours ago, mechaninac said:

Over 2 weeks since release and, at 130.46M worldwide proceeds and down to 6th place - 7th domestic (Box Office Mojo, IMDBPro, 4/15/23), this thing is still over 200M away from breaking even.  I think it's safe to say that it's done and will lose a considerable amount of moolah for Paramount... likely, they knew it was going flop, which is why they chose to release it when they did.

Paramount seems happy that it passed the expected amount that it was thought to bring in. Maybe there was something of a Merch deal or that factored in that I really don’t understand or something. The plumber was definitely the tough competition and took the nerd viewership away.

Who knows, maybe Paramount is just happy that one of their products didn’t infuriate its fan base 

23 minutes ago, Big s said:

Paramount seems happy that it passed the expected amount that it was thought to bring in. Maybe there was something of a Merch deal or that factored in that I really don’t understand or something. The plumber was definitely the tough competition and took the nerd viewership away.

Who knows, maybe Paramount is just happy that one of their products didn’t infuriate its fan base 

More than likely, Paramount is engaging in face-saving PR BS in a bid for some damage control; or, as you posit, they're counting on other streams of revenue to recover most of the costs, eventually.  To be sure, there must be a lot of creative accounting going on this and the industry as a whole, but none of it negates the box office results.  Claims, announcements, and copes are cheap; the real tell on whether or not Paramount (their project bankrollers and shareholders) are truly happy when it is all said and done will be if they green light a sequel and/or a high-profile spinoff of some kind, and if it/they actually get made.  As always, time will tell, but I won't believe anything until it is irrefutably real.

This isn't to cast aspersions at the movie's writing, acting, directing, or production values as, by all accounts, it is decent and effective enough at what it's trying to accomplish, but nothing that will make any lasting impact on anyone but the most ardent fan of the source material, if that.  It is just the fickle nature of entertainment, and plenty of brilliant, ground breaking movies -- D&D:HAT definitely isn't one of them -- have failed to find an audience in their theatrical runs, only to find redemption and a modicum of success as well-loved cult classics.  Will this film find such a sunset?...

1 hour ago, Big s said:

Movies have a budget and expected income from the budget.  If a film does that then it is good.  If it doesn't it is a bomb (no matter how much it may actually take in income) and if it does much better than that it is great.  From a studio perspective.  Since the idea that a movie is a perishable commodity is not currently in effect yet the maximizing profit per day is not back in effect yet.  (a movie seat on a particular day is a perishable commodity - if a seat has not got a rear end sitting in it at a certain time then that is revenue that will never be realized)

44 minutes ago, Big s said:

I was thinking more about Picard or Halo, but maybe Top Gun 2’s success allowed for more financial wiggle room for the company.

Thought we're talking about Paramount's movies 😜 But yes, their franchise related series have been poor however their Taylor Sheridan related series are excellent.

42 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Thought we're talking about Paramount's movies 😜 But yes, their franchise related series have been poor however their Taylor Sheridan related series are excellent.

1883 was good, but far from great.  One doesn't give up a Ferrari(Stallion) for a woman and then allow said woman to just wander off hundreds of miles in the hopes that she'll return. "Oh I've lost one family already, what's another one."  The fact that Elle is still the Narator for 1923 didn't land really well with me, her story is told and it had very little to do with Yellowstone beyond the fact she was buried there.   

• 5 weeks later...