Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

As much as I'd love to see a Robotech film I don't see this happening. If folk didn't support a new series on Kickstarter then why would they even want to see the film? Just sayin'.

53254701.jpg

Rise of Cobra wasn't terrible.

Either way, if it happens it will mean more macross toys.

What kind of toys, though? I thought WB doesn't have the rights to use the original Macross designs in the live action version.

Is it that time again already??

I honestly wonder if this isn't some sort of HG marketing ploy to relieve RT fans of more money...

If this film does ever see the light of day, it will not contain any visuals or direct references to the Macross universe, so RT fans need to divorce themselves of that fantasy right now.

The only way Macross will see a US live action production is for WB to buy out all interest HG has in the property and deal directly with the IP Rights Owner of Macross, Big West. So long as HG is involved, BW will not be.

Now if they choose to develop the Mospeada property, that could be cool in and of itself. This of course is assuming they have any respect for their target audience and I am sceptical about that. <_<

My prediction. It either never gets made or its a super schlocky terrible direct to video release. All 4 of the soME MOron crew will eat it up and cling onto the HG publicity and lack of products.

I loved Robotech as a kid. I still enjoy it and the novels but the current HG management has borked this franchise and there is no way to save it. Take it out back and put it out of its misery already.

I think a Robotech movie can be made without using the Macross character or mecha designs.Maybe keep some superficial story elements like a giant alien spaceship giving Earth technology and of course an alien invasion. I'd rather see all new designs with a Japanese style..

wat? Rise of Cobra was effing terrible LOL!

Nothing even close to the original, which in this case might be better. I don't want the Macross

Saga ruined by western Hollywood style cheap plot lines, over the top romance, and too many names, not enough story.

At least this means Mcguire is out, that's at least one bullet dodged, out of a 12 round auto-mag.

The first movie almost falls into "so bad it's good" territory. I still laugh at the collapsing underwater ice cave.

It also has power suits. Those are always awesome.

The second movie, though... it's enjoyable without the "so bad it's good" edge.

I still laugh at the prologue where the narrator just goes "All that stuff we set up at the end of the first movie? That stupid crap you told us you didn't want to see? Yeah, we resolved it all off-camera between the movies. Except the fake president thing. We're takin' care of that today, 'cuz it sounds fun."

Robotech is a dying if not dead property. As mentioned in that article Harmony Gold blew many chances over the years to bring it back. Macross in turn has continued to grow and even bring in new fans despite being stuck in Japan. Robotech has been kept on life support by fans. The live action movie's rights were bought only because everyone was buying the rights to retro properties. They haven't made a movie yet because it would lose money. It would very hard to fund movie on a dying property. The Kickstarter pretty much showed the buying power of Robotech's existing fan base.

If they want a Live action Robotech to make money. They'll need to do the following: Don't give a F*ck about what the Robotech fans want. Whenever adaptions are made they try to balance what will bring in a new audience and what will please the fans. Forget trying to please the fans. Just focus on making an entertaining sci-fi adventure with transforming robots that will please the majority of the public. A total reboot is needed to attract a new audience to Robotech.

Scary to see Robotech Master (aka Justy Yuki?) formally from the Space Station Liberty podcast still trying to defend this after all these years, seemingly popping up whenever the franchise is mentioned online.

Robotech Master is Chris Meadows, Justy Ueki did a different podcast.

If they want a Live action Robotech to make money. They'll need to do the following: Don't give a F*ck about what the Robotech fans want. Whenever adaptions are made they try to balance what will bring in a new audience and what will please the fans. Forget trying to please the fans. Just focus on making an entertaining sci-fi adventure with transforming robots that will please the majority of the public. A total reboot is needed to attract a new audience to Robotech.

100% agree. I would also advocate toward starting with a heavily modified "new gen" where the stuff that old fans really care about has already happened and past and now we get a scifi story of a destroy and inhabited earth being freed. It would eliminate all licensing issues in one fail swoop.

Wait.. was Rise of the Cobra the one with giant recoil-less rifle that shot the big spears? I just kinda remember the Rock running around.

But yeah, any movie will bring toys of all spectrums. Cheapo kids ones. and then higher end ones to make money off peoples raised perceptions.

I mean, we all know the movies going to suck.... unless they approached it like they did with "All you need is kill", which I doubt they would be smart enough to do.

We're all happy Akira was never touched by Hollywood right?

Edited by Gakken85