ThreeZero ROBOTECH (Macross) Toys

kyekye

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Yep, they've posted a couple of pics with it open, I think.

Edit: Found it on the previous page.

ROBO-DOU-VF-1J-Veritech-Rick-Hunter_withlogo_16-scaled.jpg

The landing gear seems to be pretty well detailed as well.  Looks like the gunpod will touch the ground though, unless that display is mistransformed.

Twich

56 minutes ago, jenius said:

This image shows the clearance. Not a ton but better than KC:

ROBO-DOU-VF-1J-Veritech-Rick-Hunter_withlogo_12-scaled.jpg

I figured that it was probably misaligned, or jostled.  I am looking forward to this, also really looking forward to your review of it Jenius!

Twich

14 minutes ago, twich said:

I figured that it was probably misaligned, or jostled.  I am looking forward to this, also really looking forward to your review of it Jenius!

Twich

Judging by the shape of the lower arms and the angle they stow in fighter mode, no, I think that's exactly how the gunpod is going to look.  Those arms are really deep.  They're quite a bit lower than the underside of the legs here, almost halfway down the ventral fins.

ROBO-DOU-VF-1J-Veritech-Rick-Hunter_withlogo_15-scaled.jpg

I'm assuming if these sell well there will be super pack add-ons later? The nose cone folds so I'm assuming they are planning to do the full armor at some point. I don't know anything about Three Zero. Do we think they will only sell armor parts separately or do bundled releases later where you can buy the VF with the armor in the same package?

I currently only own Bandai DX VF-1 figures, but these Three Zero VFs are appealing to me because they are smaller and take up less shelf space than the DX but look almost as good to me. They are also cheaper and will be way easier to buy for retail price than Bandai DX, I assume. It sounds like these will also be good quality with metal joints (fingers crossed). And I'm also thinking that Three Zero may actually make other mechs from the same show like the destroids and Zentradi pods. Bandai seems to have stopped making VF-1s for a while and they don't seem interested in making enemy mechs. Even if they did, they would be massive and I don't think I have the shelf space.

I'm looking forward to some reviews of their first release.

There's not much in ThreeZero's history that suggests they would try to venture into less popular (or enemy) mecha. I think Hi-Metal R is just about our only hope there. It looks a safe bet that both GBP and Super Parts are possible if the sales are good. There is some precedent that these could be sold as add-ons instead of second release bundles. Here's an Eva add-on kit: 

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/170715?o=4

16 hours ago, jenius said:

There's not much in ThreeZero's history that suggests they would try to venture into less popular (or enemy) mecha. I think Hi-Metal R is just about our only hope there. It looks a safe bet that both GBP and Super Parts are possible if the sales are good. There is some precedent that these could be sold as add-ons instead of second release bundles. Here's an Eva add-on kit: 

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/170715?o=4

Thank you for the info. I know absolutely nothing about ThreeZero so it's really hard to tell what they will do. The problem is that if you wait and see if they do enemy mecha before buying you end up paying the late tax for everything. If these still look good, but are smaller and possibly more fun to transform I would replace my DX valks with these. For now I'll wait for reviews of the first release and see how it is. I wish these companies would give us some hints on what their future plans are. I get why they don't, but it makes it pretty hard to decide what to buy!

If this turns out to be all plastic it will be a big disappointment to me considering they are famouse for 80% metal deluxe transforming transformers. they are known for the highest quality for a licensed Habro brand.

I've been crossing fingers hoping they would surprise the world with an IDW Unicron DLX out of the blue that no one has ever done. I have the Arcee DLX on preorder with BBTS.

Macross at  4:03

Edited by Spark-O-Matic

ThreeZero's Transformers lines, especially the DLX have been fantastic. In fact every ThreeZero product that I own (and opened) has been well worth the money. I don't know anything about their customer services as I've never had the occasion or need to use it.

I'll pick one of these up based on the strength of their Transformer releases alone.

-b.

On 8/11/2023 at 11:51 PM, Kanedas Bike said:

ThreeZero's Transformers lines, especially the DLX have been fantastic. In fact every ThreeZero product that I own (and opened) has been well worth the money. I don't know anything about their customer services as I've never had the occasion or need to use it.

I'll pick one of these up based on the strength of their Transformer releases alone.

-b.

Seconded.  I have all of their Iron Man releases and they are fantastic. It's a inner metal skeleton with plastic and metal parts on the outside. The engineering and articulation is amazing. Even better than some figuarts. Really looking forward to see what they accomplish here

7 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Screenshot_2023-08-16-21-30-34-119_com.instagram.android-edit.jpg.3a5440764186a5d572d3a5306c7138e2.jpgOfficial description by ThreeZero

Thanks! placed a preorder through BBTS.

Price is OK to me, Looking at it carefully it really does look like a clean sheet version, one that's not really trying to copy other companies releases but just following original designs. I hope they offer a strike kit to go with it at some point. also it seems dumb they are not selling this in japan I thought BW & HG worked out differences to make both of them world wide?

10 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Screenshot_2023-08-16-21-30-34-119_com.instagram.android-edit.jpg.3a5440764186a5d572d3a5306c7138e2.jpgOfficial description by ThreeZero

"Zinc-alloy die cast interior frame" checks out with the other Robo-Dou products, and also the estimated package weight in their product page. Hopefully the joints are engineered well enough to hold up the weight & won't be floppy.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting video. We see the arms are on a sliders like Bandai. The swing bar has a shortening mechanism to make the hips go higher in Battroid; but on other hand, can't figure out if the swing bar can remain connected or have to be detached like the DX Chogokins to enable waist twist.

Looks like a 1/60ish - to 1/72ish DX to me. Which isn't exactly a bad thing I suppose...I might have to get one to see if it can take down the mighty Yamarcadia's as my forever favorite Valk line...I wouldn't ever replace them all at this late stage, but it might be worth having the ThreeZero one to play around with. 

Edited by derex3592

46 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

One thing about Three, they generally don't milk molds for off-screen variants. They might just make the heroes here and move on. Their Eva line is pretty in the deep freezer now regardless the praise. 

As long as we get the usual...VF-1J Rick, Max, Millia, VF-1A CF, VF-1S Roy I'll be good....either way it's just the TV versions, so there are not that many more that could be done....VF-1D, maybe...based on that interview posted...they may do the Destroids and enemy mechs....we'll have to wait and see I suppose...

33 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

As long as we get the usual...VF-1J Rick, Max, Millia, VF-1A CF, VF-1S Roy I'll be good....either way it's just the TV versions, so there are not that many more that could be done....VF-1D, maybe...based on that interview posted...they may do the Destroids and enemy mechs....we'll have to wait and see I suppose...

Which every manufacturer says when selling VF-1 toys to try to get a few more people to buy vf-1 toys with no real likelihood of moving on past that. 

1 hour ago, Raikkonen said:

One thing about Three, they generally don't milk molds for off-screen variants. They might just make the heroes here and move on. Their Eva line is pretty in the deep freezer now regardless the praise. 

That's the standard MO for Robotech licensees in general, TBH... they do the most popular/main character designs and move on.

The farthest afield they've really gone is the "stealth" paintjob that was just Roy's VF-1S with the white swapped for black and dark gray for yellow.  Or maybe that "YF-1R" that only got made by Toynami because it was the signature ride of the MC in a then-new Macross Saga videogame.

2 hours ago, jenius said:

Which every manufacturer says when selling VF-1 toys to try to get a few more people to buy vf-1 toys with no real likelihood of moving on past that. 

"Every manufacturer"?  I can't say I recall any manufacturer actually promoting the possibility of non-VF-1 Macross mechs until Yamato came along and manged to release a total of 2!  

The most recent manufacturer to have "insinuated" the release on non-VF machs was Bandai under their HMR line during their display diorama announcing the return of the "HM" line....which they actually delivered...with possibly more to come?

As for other manufacturers, only one I can think of for toys is KC....but so far the only one that seems to have a shot at release is the Regult.....someday....hoping they do come through with the rest of their teased lineup of non-VF mechs....perhas having their own manufacturing facilities can help them bring those to market...

Again....you said every manufacturer has said they specifically wanted to produce more than VFs in their Macross line....unless you have a specifc example of every manufacturer saying this from 1982, then you are simply confusing your imagination with actual facts....the only one I can actually recall actually doing this  recently was Toynami....and that was years after releasing toys in their MP Collection...so it's not like they were trying to sell more MP VF's by teasing Destroids...

Well I'm certainly not going to waste my time digging up every quote for you but if you wanna hang your hat on the idea that one or two manufacturers didn't hint an interview that they wanted to make more VFs, then I'll concede. The point is, it would be stupid for them to say anything different so don't get your hopes up.  I look forward to your next contrarian post telling me that it would be stupid not to get your hopes up based on the stellar examples of every previous manufacturer delivering on the hopes they stated in interviews. 

The interview with ThreeZero CEO is also interesting, as he has this slight nugget of info that the waist swivel is not much, only by a bit. This means the swivel bar shouldn't be detachable like the Chogokin, and perhaps more akin to.. I can't remember, but KC's do have a bit waist swivel, right?