7 hours ago, technoblue said:

TangledThorns might be right. Maybe there is a silver lining here, and a licensing deal is being worked on for a more global release. Getting Yamato 2202 would be enough, but it would be fantastic if some company could also get a license to release the classic series/movies on blu-ray.

CosmoDNA's Facebook page is saying that they will only do subtitles *IF* a deal is made with an international distributor. Considering what happened with 2199(not even finishing the series) I'm not holding my breath.

I gotta say I'm a little peeved by his (CosmoDNA's) reactions to people on FB when they say they are cancelling their pre-orders. He's saying they are working against their common goal, and missing out on a great show?? How is not buying disc's they can't understand working against the show?? By NOT supporting this descision, MAYBE the lower sales will show Bandai Visual that this was not a good idea. Long shot? Yes. But I don't see how buying the discs anyway, thus not effecting their profits, would be a good thing for non-Japanese speaking fans. I'm really bummed by this, I was really looking forward to this show and was ready to plunk down the cash to buy the series like I did for 2199. I'm computer stupid too and have no clue how to find/ watch fan subbed versions when they come out too. :(

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I miss all the facebook stuff since I left it years ago. To Dobber's main point, though, I agree that cancelling pre-orders is one way to be heard, but it is also important to give context to the lost sales. If Bandai Visual knows (in writing) that we would have been happy to support the show directly and completely, especially if Yamato 2202 had included subtitles in a format consistent with Yamato 2199 and its movies then the cancelled pre-orders will have context and greater emphasis.

Of course, I have to laugh because even this takes time and I'm going grey waiting for results. To think, it was 1993 when I bought classic Star Blazers and Space Battleship Yamato on VHS.

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Through his Facebook page I've witnessed CosmoDNA to be an arrogant prick of a fanboy to fellow Yamato fans, even to me.

I've never had anything close to that kind of vibe.  I disagree with him on buying a non-subtitled show but that does not come close to making him an arrogant prick...

6 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Way to go Bandai screw your fan base.  I am a huge fan so not being able to get it Day 1 subbed makes me pissed and Voyager is such a horrible company after the 2199 debacle (website has not been updated in over 2 years.)

Is it possible Bandai does not GAF about western buyers [read: USA]? How popular was 2199 in Asian (or elsewhere) markets?

15 hours ago, Dobber said:

CosmoDNA's Facebook page is saying that they will only do subtitles *IF* a deal is made with an international distributor. Considering what happened with 2199(not even finishing the series) I'm not holding my breath.

I gotta say I'm a little peeved by his (CosmoDNA's) reactions to people on FB when they say they are cancelling their pre-orders. He's saying they are working against their common goal, and missing out on a great show?? How is not buying disc's they can't understand working against the show?? By NOT supporting this descision, MAYBE the lower sales will show Bandai Visual that this was not a good idea. Long shot? Yes. But I don't see how buying the discs anyway, thus not effecting their profits, would be a good thing for non-Japanese speaking fans. I'm really bummed by this, I was really looking forward to this show and was ready to plunk down the cash to buy the series like I did for 2199. I'm computer stupid too and have no clue how to find/ watch fan subbed versions when they come out too. :(

Chris

Lol, I remember having a similar agruement when they announced the pricing on the US release of 2199.  I was like they will never sell at that price. He was like true fans need to support the show at all costs and take the hit. I just shook my head and thought what an idiot. 

Its strange that a company that put such good quality work in the series would work against itself on getting the series out there.

The no english-subs shenanigans seems like an international licensing agreement for SBY-2202.

Who knows?

Maybe Bandai-Visual will eventually put english-subs on it later on.

Like in the boxset edition five years after series completion.

In their very own high-quality engrish like Macross Plus BD's english-subs, too...:diablo:

:bump:

40 minutes ago, treatment said:

The no english-subs shenanigans seems like an international licensing agreement for SBY-2202.

Who knows?

Maybe Bandai-Visual will eventually put english-subs on it later on.

Like in the boxset edition five years after series completion.

In their very own high-quality engrish like Macross Plus BD's english-subs, too...:diablo:

:bump:

You do know that the Macross Frontier movies and Macross Delta tv BD's were worked on by fellow Macrossworld members...and they're an LOT better than any fansub out there.

What Engrish are you referring to on the Macross Plus BD's? 

15 minutes ago, UN Spacy said:

You do know that the Macross Frontier movies and Macross Delta tv BD's were worked on by fellow Macrossworld members...and they're an LOT better than any fansub out there.

What Engrish are you referring to on the Macross Plus BD's? 

picasaweb's fraked up the links on my snapshots, but Renato has his snaps up:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/37865-macross-plus-in-bd-ova-w-english-dub-movie-wen/?do=findComment&comment=1058270

As for MF and Delta subs, I reckon that's good for MF and Delta

Maybe the 2202 production-commitee will hire them instead of the blokes that did Macross Plus BD english-subs...

Speculative Spoiler idea:

After watching the clip yesterday on FB (showing the Galantis BB making a suicide run to earth), I'll wager that the vessel is hit and destroyed by yamato (the previous seen firing from the underwater base).

Edited by TehPW

Personally I can't enjoy something that I can't understand; that's just my take on it, especially at those prices...

Edited by myk

3 hours ago, myk said:

Personally I can't enjoy something that I can't understand; that's just my take on it, especially at those prices...

That was anime life back in the 1980s. I watched many anime, mostly bootleg, VHS tapes that had no subtitles before anime became mainstream in the early 1990s. But yeah, I'll avoid anime with no subtitles too.

CosmoDNA's comments on Facebook regarding people's very understandble cancellation of their Blu-ray pre-orders is nothing short of astounding, especially when one of his comments regarding the first release is "Episode two is mostly talk, lots of great intrigue. Definitely going to need to translate a synopsis to get all the plot points.". Gee, I wonder if that would have been helped by some freaking subtitles available like 2199 had!

Voyager's name is apparently in the end credits of 2202, leading to speculation that they might attempt selling English-subbed DVDs of the series through their website. They'd be guaranteed to be better sellers than 2199 with there being no alternative this time around.

1 hour ago, Doryu2025 said:

CosmoDNA's comments on Facebook regarding people's very understandble cancellation of their Blu-ray pre-orders is nothing short of astounding,

Read through them again, the only negative things he has to say are to those who claim they are getting fansubs and not buying anything.  Nothing astounding about that.  I do not agree with him about buying a non-subtitled disk just to support the franchise but that is a different matter.

2 hours ago, Doryu2025 said:

CosmoDNA's comments on Facebook regarding people's very understandble cancellation of their Blu-ray pre-orders is nothing short of astounding, especially when one of his comments regarding the first release is "Episode two is mostly talk, lots of great intrigue. Definitely going to need to translate a synopsis to get all the plot points.". Gee, I wonder if that would have been helped by some freaking subtitles available like 2199 had!

Voyager's name is apparently in the end credits of 2202, leading to speculation that they might attempt selling English-subbed DVDs of the series through their website. They'd be guaranteed to be better sellers than 2199 with there being no alternative this time around.

I don't see how Voyager could be counted on to bring about a new release with 2202 when they couldn't even finish 2199...

13 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Read through them again, the only negative things he has to say are to those who claim they are getting fansubs and not buying anything.  Nothing astounding about that.  I do not agree with him about buying a non-subtitled disk just to support the franchise but that is a different matter.

I'm confused, it seems like your saying you agree with him but then say you don't.

CosmoDNA seems like he is trying have it both ways. Condemning people for not buying saying they are working against the show, but then saying our market doesn't matter to Bandai and we are owed nothing. Which is it? If we don't matter how are we hurting them? Also, he's saying how it use to be this way for Anime fans (like someone pointed out above) and how it has paved the way for modern releases, but then saying this is no different than how it USED to be. How is anything paved ahead if nothing changes for the better? Sounds like it is a big step backwards if things are going back to how they use to be. As anime fans we shouldn't be ok with this.  Also anime didn't cost nearly as much back then as what these BluRay discs cost. 

I do agree that, in general we are owed nothing, but this is not progress in the slightest and not a good sign.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I'm confused, it seems like your saying you agree with him but then say you don't.

He is commenting to those who say they are going to effectively pirate the show.  I agree with him on that being wrong and bad for getting the show subtitled in English.

I do not agree with him that buying it without subtitles helps.  

Every time I saw a comment of his taking someone to task it was for saying they would pirate the show, not just for not buying it.

Pirating anime (fansubbing in particular) led to progress in anime distribution. Pirating forced the industry to have international releases to be released on the same day or close to it. In the old days you could expect a new anime to take 1-2 years to be released in NA. If there is an international deal in place they should have had this in place before the first disc came out. There would be a lot less people upset about this.

For me, just the blu rays.  When the eventual GX Andromeda comes out I'll be all over that one...

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

Pirating anime (fansubbing in particular) led to progress in anime distribution. Pirating forced the industry to have international releases to be released on the same day or close to it. In the old days you could expect a new anime to take 1-2 years to be released in NA. If there is an international deal in place they should have had this in place before the first disc came out. There would be a lot less people upset about this.

Easy to say they should've had the international deal in place before the first disc of the Japanese release.  Sometimes it's not that simple.

Pirating this series isn't going to suddenly force Bandai to include English subtitles or make the international deal happen sooner.

Edited by Vifam7

4 hours ago, treatment said:

Are you guys cancelling just the 2202-BDs or also other 2202 collectibles?

I'm still going to get some collectibles, like Models ect. as I'm not boycotting the show or anything. I'm  just not wasting my money on disks I won't be able to understand.

Chris

1 hour ago, Vifam7 said:

Pirating this series isn't going to suddenly force Bandai to include English subtitles or make the international deal happen sooner.

<sign> yeah of course pirating this series isn't going to suddenly force bandai to do either of this things. That ship has sailed but in the future it may skew a decision in that way for future releases. This has already happened with most anime. Fansubbing was rampant in the 2000s but are virtually dead now in comparison. Why? Because there is no need for them due to the reason I listed above.  

Edited by Sandman

1 hour ago, Vifam7 said:

Easy to say they should've had the international deal in place before the first disc of the Japanese release.  Sometimes it's not that simple.

Maybe. But it should be easier for them. They own their own company made specifically to release anime internationally. Never mind that voyager couldn't market themselves out of wet paper bag.

9 hours ago, Dobber said:

Also anime didn't cost nearly as much back then as what these BluRay discs cost. 

Chris

It certainly did, in fact anime cost MORE back then than it does now. Right now I'm looking at the July 1984 issue of Animedia that has an add for anime video tapes with prices ranging from 6800 yen for a 30-minute long tape of Dallos to 17,800 yen for the 90-minute Urusei Yatsura film, Only You. Those Blurays are cheap in comparison!