But the 12 minute clip looks a lot like a redone version of the original Yamato 2 opening episode.  It would also be strange to have no Yamato for the first 17 or so episodes of SBY 2202 (with Kodai still in the older ship design in that episode).

We will know in a few weeks - at least if the footage shown is from the first couple episodes.

They didn't waste any time introducing the Andromeda in the original series.  By the way they keep showing the hidden wave motion blast in the preview, that could only come from the Andromeda I guess they're going to tease us with the arrival of that ship until well into the series.  Bastids....

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

That was an awesome trailer!!!  Why does it have "Starblazers" in the Japanese logo right above 2022 - is it to be dubbed?

They made an announcement way back that international distribution was to be done under the highly respected (snicker) Star Blazers label.  What that actually means they have not yet said.

After not releasing the last two discs of Yamato 2199 under the SB label I sure hope it doesn't mean no English subs on the Yamato 2202 discs in Japan. 

Sorry, it seems my statement was misunderstood. The scene depicted in that image of Andromeda and that weird looking Gaisengan-class battleship is (according to a twitter response from Makoto Kobayashi) from episoe 17. That scene. Andromeda, as it was obvious from the 13 minute preview and trailers appears right off the bat. Blowing planets and stuff.

Here's another image from Kobayashi's twitter feed, showing Andromeda, in scale with Yunaagi, in standard color version and a render of her with the hull lit up only by her own lights. This will be seen in episodes 1 and 2.

C5KZvFnUEAE3JAO.jpg

Edited by westfall

22 hours ago, myk said:

They didn't waste any time introducing the Andromeda in the original series.  By the way they keep showing the hidden wave motion blast in the preview, that could only come from the Andromeda I guess they're going to tease us with the arrival of that ship until well into the series.  Bastids....

Rest assured, it gets plenty of screen time in the second episode. 

Edited by Tochiro

11 hours ago, westfall said:

Sorry, it seems my statement was misunderstood. The scene depicted in that image of Andromeda and that weird looking Gaisengan-class battleship is (according to a twitter response from Makoto Kobayashi) from episoe 17. That scene. Andromeda, as it was obvious from the 13 minute preview and trailers appears right off the bat. Blowing planets and stuff.

Here's another image from Kobayashi's twitter feed, showing Andromeda, in scale with Yunaagi, in standard color version and a render of her with the hull lit up only by her own lights. This will be seen in episodes 1 and 2.

C5KZvFnUEAE3JAO.jpg

Very nice, although one thing that's always bothered me about the Andromeda class is how relatively underarmed they are.  Aside from the 4xmain batteries, and the twin wave motion cannon, they don't appeared to be armed with anti-air weapons, nor are they obviously fitted with missile tubes.  I guess we'll see when the ships actually go in action, but part of me wonder if these aren't supposed to be parts of a task force with support ships hanging around.

I had been hoping for a slight revision of the Andromeda with increased firepower; maybe it is, but carrying these weapons internally or something.  You can't have a Dreadnought that's the flagship of the EDF that seems to be less armed than the original Yamato.

I can recall during the Star Blazers days that the Andromeda featured automation as opposed to a larger crew.  This was the only known advantage over older ships that I can remember the characters speaking of...

There may be some hidden AA guns under covers, maybe under those hatches under the command tower. And from looking at the model pics on HLJ, she does have concealed missile launchers in the bow. They are a little gimmicky.

bann14500_2_1484813102.jpg?v=1484813102

Plus there are the forward facing launch tubes to either side on the bow, above the WMGs.

Edited by Thom

Let's hope so.  I'd love to see the Andromeda wade into the thick of it and just unleash a Macross-style missile storm with some "lazers" for good measure...

A co-worker of mine said something very sacrilegious about the Andromeda. Said individual said the the Andromeda's design is lame because he thought that it looked like they just took a jet fighter and made a spaceship out of it. I told him that he had no idea what he was talking about!

55 minutes ago, Beltane70 said:

A co-worker of mine said something very sacrilegious about the Andromeda. Said individual said the the Andromeda's design is lame because he thought that it looked like they just took a jet fighter and made a spaceship out of it. I told him that he had no idea what he was talking about!

To your coworker...

^_^

Edited by mechaninac

22 hours ago, myk said:

Let's hope so.  I'd love to see the Andromeda wade into the thick of it and just unleash a Macross-style missile storm with some "lazers" for good measure...

Ah, yes, the beloved 'Itano Circus...'

http://macross.wikia.com/wiki/Itano_Circus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=583&v=BzXfVgYCxWI

As to the co-worker, has he been committed yet..? For clearly he is insane!

Edited by Thom

On 2/23/2017 at 9:31 PM, Beltane70 said:

Was (s)he talking about that Andromeda from the US TV show?  Our Andromeda is more like a Battleship with stabilizers on it that can fly in space.  

ALSO - NO SUBS on the Japanese Blu-Ray release according to the Yamato Crew that went to Japan just to watch the movie release.  No subtitles of any kind.

Edited by Dynaman

ANN is reporting that Bandai Visual has confirmed it, as well:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2017-02-25/bandai-home-video-release-of-space-battleship-yamato-2202-wont-include-english-subs/.112694

Really, I'm at a loss for words. What the wave motion gun!? I guess the long wait begins for serious licensing outside of Japan... I mean, I was content to put up with the minor irritation of seeing Star Blazers on Japanese Space Battleship Yamato discs, but to have Star Blazers branded discs that also do not have English subs at all in any format?

Yeah, that's a very bad joke.

edit: sorry, getting emotional

Edited by technoblue

I keep learning bad news lately.

One of the bright spots I had to look forward to was Yamato 2202.  So much for that.

I've already emailed to have my pre-order cancelled.  Not sure I'll even bother with a Voyager Entertainment release if that's the way they're heading.  The very fact they're taking this giant step backwards is ridiculous.

14 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Was (s)he talking about that Andromeda from the US TV show?  Our Andromeda is more like a Battleship with stabilizers on it that can fly in space.  

ALSO - NO SUBS on the Japanese Blu-Ray release according to the Yamato Crew that went to Japan just to watch the movie release.  No subtitles of any kind.

No, he was talking about the Andromeda of SBY. I showed him a picture of the upcoming Bandai kit and that's what he based his opinion on. I can definitely see his point, if you take away everything but the main body, the Andromeda could pass as a fighter's fuselage.

As far as the no subtitles things go, it's not a deal breaker for me considering how much unsubtitled anime I own from back in the day. Am I disappointed? Definitely.

TangledThorns might be right. Maybe there is a silver lining here, and a licensing deal is being worked on for a more global release. Getting Yamato 2202 would be enough, but it would be fantastic if some company could also get a license to release the classic series/movies on blu-ray.

I'm disappointed. I was really looking forward to purchasing this. I'm hoping it's only due to them having some sort of licensing deal incoming. If not, they're setting themselves up for piracy and fansubbing. Most animation studios understand this and have plan accordingly and we get almost 90% of series within days if not hours via streaming of some sort.