I watched the entire 2199 on-line. would have bought the discs if they were cheaper, but am glad I didn't seeing as they never finished releasing them.

As long as I can see it on-line like the last one, even with fan-subs, I'll be happy!

2 hours ago, Beltane70 said:

It certainly did, in fact anime cost MORE back then than it does now. Right now I'm looking at the July 1984 issue of Animedia that has an add for anime video tapes with prices ranging from 6800 yen for a 30-minute long tape of Dallos to 17,800 yen for the 90-minute Urusei Yatsura film, Only You. Those Blurays are cheap in comparison!

Yeah, but...

The exchange-rate value back then in July/1984 was like 237-yen to 1-usd...

B))

8 minutes ago, treatment said:

Yeah, but...

The exchange-rate value back then in July/1984 was like 237-yen to 1-usd...

B))

However, in 1995, the exchange rate went to around 85yen to the dollar.  A single episode of Macross Plus on VHS was about 8000yen.

1 hour ago, Vifam7 said:

However, in 1995, the exchange rate went to around 85yen to the dollar.  A single episode of Macross Plus on VHS was about 8000yen.

Sure, but the awesome english-version of Macross Plus can be had for around $14-$20 locally at some Incredible Universe outfit back in '95, iirc.  Not to mention the various ubiquitous cheap rental-shops back then.

Unless, of course, you rather go to Suncoast to get fleeced out of $40 or more for the same version...

:bump:

• 2 weeks later...

Tim Eldred's web site added the news in Japan recently including the interesting story that he and his friends happened to see the executive producer of Yamato 2199 and 2202, Shoji Nishisaki at a Restaurant.
Besides, they asked him some questions and he answered to them.
I hope it gives you a better understanding what the official Yamato staffs want to do in the near future.
http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/169a/

Interesting point about the lack of subtitles: that including subtitles NOW would prevent them from selling 2202 to distributors in other countries if people had already bought the blu rays from Japan directly.  I get that; however piracy will definitely distribute 2202 long before any deals are struck between Japan and the rest of the world.  In the long run, Japan should've included subtitles from the get-go, IMO...

On 3/18/2017 at 5:25 AM, myk said:

Interesting point about the lack of subtitles: that including subtitles NOW would prevent them from selling 2202 to distributors in other countries if people had already bought the blu rays from Japan directly.  I get that; however piracy will definitely distribute 2202 long before any deals are struck between Japan and the rest of the world.  In the long run, Japan should've included subtitles from the get-go, IMO...

This.jpg

When one of the fans asked it, Nishizaki-san answered "I don't know why" for the first time.

I also think that the subtitles are needed. Is that a something strategic to sell the discs? It's just a guessing and I have no idea.

A MW member, Analyser809 was at the table in the restaurant, too. So I hope he will describe the detail about it.

I seriously hope a Voyager Entertainment isn't involved with a US release of 2202. 

They haven't even updated their website in three years, and the fact that they didn't release the last two volumes of 2199 is just horrible.

PLEASE  give it to capable folks.

It just doesn't make any sense not to subtitle it right away.  When, and even IF Japan arranges a deal to distribute 2202 with English support in other countries, the majority of the people who would have purchased 2202 legitamitely won't want or need to after they've streamed/downloaded it through piracy.  Is there more to making profit and marketing and all that?  Maybe, and I sure wouldn't know about it, but this matter seems pretty clear to me...

Also - the reason they "lost" US sales on 2199 was not due to it having been released with English subtitles on the Japanese discs - it was due to sub-pathetic marketing.  The only people their marketing could possibly have reached are those who already knew about 2199 in the first place.  Any of their fans from the Star Blazers days that do not keep up with anime would have no way of knowing that 2199 exists.  I loaned out my discs to a couple of friend's who fall into that category, would never have bought 2199 direct from Japan but would have bought SB2199 if they had known about it.

4 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

I seriously hope a Voyager Entertainment isn't involved with a US release of 2202. 

They haven't even updated their website in three years, and the fact that they didn't release the last two volumes of 2199 is just horrible.

I can't even tell who Voyager is. It appears to be Japanese run but who is running it?

http://voyager-e.co.jp/corporate.html

14 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Also - the reason they "lost" US sales on 2199 was not due to it having been released with English subtitles on the Japanese discs - it was due to sub-pathetic marketing.  The only people their marketing could possibly have reached are those who already knew about 2199 in the first place.  Any of their fans from the Star Blazers days that do not keep up with anime would have no way of knowing that 2199 exists.  I loaned out my discs to a couple of friend's who fall into that category, would never have bought 2199 direct from Japan but would have bought SB2199 if they had known about it.

Here's how you get your product to the masses: NETFLIX. I don't know why they even bother with creating DVDs anymore...

3 hours ago, TehPW said:

Here's how you get your product to the masses: NETFLIX. I don't know why they even bother with creating DVDs anymore...

Exactly! It's a shame shows like knights of Sidonia are on Netflix and Yamato isn't. As popular as Yamato is for 40ish year anime it sure is treated like a 4th tier anime. It should be a no brainer for it be on Netflix.

Not only that but I like having hard copies of media.  Movies, music, games; I have hard copies of all of that stuff-I even have cassettes for my 80's metal bands.   I can't/won't rely on streaming only....

I think there is a good point to be made that Netflix and Amazon Prime are both useful choices for reaching an international audience (from Japan POV).  Call me old fashioned, but I agree with myk that I'd rather own the books, movies, etc, because content deals change, so one minute, Netflix has your favorite show available, and the next minute, it doesn't because their deal expired.

To me, there will always be a place for physical media, but it would be only logical for the anime industry to consider the changing model of distribution.  There is a broad appeal for shows like Yamato and Macross, but they really ought to keep up with the distribution model, and attract a younger generation.  I think it would be perfect for them to just remake the original SDF:M, it's certainly a story worth retelling.  They can intermix it with new stuff, to keep older fans interested, and possibly add in new materials as well along the way.   The one thing that stuck out to me was the fact that Yamato 2202 premiere was attended by a bunch of 40 somethings (if I read the blog right), they ought to focus on the next generation. 

If they can do it with Star Wars, there isn't any reason they can't do it with Yamato or Macross.

1 hour ago, kalvasflam said:

I think there is a good point to be made that Netflix and Amazon Prime are both useful choices for reaching an international audience (from Japan POV).  Call me old fashioned, but I agree with myk that I'd rather own the books, movies, etc, because content deals change, so one minute, Netflix has your favorite show available, and the next minute, it doesn't because their deal expired.

To me, there will always be a place for physical media, but it would be only logical for the anime industry to consider the changing model of distribution.  There is a broad appeal for shows like Yamato and Macross, but they really ought to keep up with the distribution model, and attract a younger generation.  I think it would be perfect for them to just remake the original SDF:M, it's certainly a story worth retelling.  They can intermix it with new stuff, to keep older fans interested, and possibly add in new materials as well along the way.   The one thing that stuck out to me was the fact that Yamato 2202 premiere was attended by a bunch of 40 somethings (if I read the blog right), they ought to focus on the next generation. 

If they can do it with Star Wars, there isn't any reason they can't do it with Yamato or Macross.

It HAS been done with Macross...Frontier and Delta. 

I'm getting old but I have crossed over to the dark side - I would much rather have a digital only copy of a film or book these days.  If 2202 came out on Netflix I would be very happy, happier to have it on Amazon or Comcast for purchase.  If disks are all I can get then I will get them.

8 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I'm getting old but I have crossed over to the dark side - I would much rather have a digital only copy of a film or book these days.  If 2202 came out on Netflix I would be very happy, happier to have it on Amazon or Comcast for purchase.  If disks are all I can get then I will get them.

Lord knows I'd actually be able to sit in my living room if I didn't have it piled up with books, games, cd's and movies...

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 3:46 AM, UN Spacy said:

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 8:39 AM, TangledThorns said:

I can't even tell who Voyager is. It appears to be Japanese run but who is running it?

http://voyager-e.co.jp/corporate.html

So I did some digging and managed to get some answers from Tim Eldred of ourstarblazers.com as to what Voyager is, who owns it, and what they do.

Yoshinobu Nishizaki founded Voyager Entertainment back in the mid 90s when he was working on Yamato 2520 to handle U.S. video distribution of the whole franchise. There was a U.S. office in New Jersey, but that was shut down by the Japanese side in 2012 and the entity as a whole renamed Voyager Holdings. 

Voyager as it is today is very much a part of the Japanese Yamato 2199/2202 production comittee wholly owned and run by them tasked with distribution and merchandising the various Yamato incarnations in the U.S. This isn't something like the Robotech/Macross situation where some other company is involved, this is owners themselves calling the shots.

This pretty much explains a lot like how Voyager's missteps echo other Japanese companies like Aniplex or PonyCanyon in that they don't understand or underestimate the U.S. markets or assume that what worked well in Japan will work well in the States. It's also pretty much the reason they refuse to license the shows out to someone like Funimation or Sentai Filmworks with the exception of the live action movie which I think funi got the rights to from the studio that filmed it and not Voyager themselves.

2 minutes ago, treatment said:

So they're not putting english-subs on the 2202 because the rights-holder basically says frakk You, That's Why.

Great.

And Eldred still wants the fans to import BDs?

<_<

I read it as the rights-holder saying - "we've got other plans in releasing this title in English".

Selling and marketing something in another country is a massive undertaking best reserved for companies with a certain size and capability. Voyager are going to loose so much potential income for insisting on doing it themselves.  They would make more money getting Sentai/Funi or the like releasing their stuff no matter how big their share of the cut was.

Never noticed that ship had only one turret in the back, not to mention the two in the front.  What is with the new EDF ships having less turrets than that bucket of bolts Yamato?

Gonna cop that dready...always loved the main battleship design. 

SAD that Voyager Entertainment might be the only option for official Eng subs. Let's hope they've learned from their previous blunders. 

Just paid for the 2 new kits...man is shipping expensive right now. The cheapest option was EMS! SAL was even more expensive...what's up with that?

Chris