Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

It's really a crying shame Bandai spent so much $$$ and time in to developing this Valk only to release it once!  I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but they could have given us the white and gold Elvis version to recoup some of the R&D money they spent, I sure would have gone for one. 

I like my 262 a lot, but it’s not surprising in the least that anything Delta has died off and prices for many of the prior valks have tanked other than something like the 31A. From my experience, fans of the show skew much younger who don’t have sizable discretionary income to spend on expensive figures especially when the Japanese economy isn’t doing too great. Many also aren’t interested in collecting these figures and like the show for other reasons (e.g., music).

Older collectors/fans of the franchise, who are the ones with money, and those especially outside of Japan absolutely despise the show and have no interest in anything whatsoever tied to the series other than diehard completionists who begrudgingly buy the figures for the collection despite vehemently hating the show, but they are very small in number. So it makes perfect sense from Bandai’s standpoint not to waste resources and throw good money after bad. Maybe they’ll release some stuff far from now for the 30th anniversary of Delta or something like that, but I’m treating the series as effectively dead and not expecting anything new.

I was keeping hopes high for a long time for more SV-262.. whether the Ba or the Elvis, because they kept introducing new schemes with every new Delta show. In hindsight, I think it's more to milk the molds for their 1/72 kit. They must have given up on more Chogokins early on, hence in the first Delta movie they put the Lil Drakens on the 31F probably in belief those would sell better with a 31 than a 262.

7 hours ago, seti88 said:

So.....if bandai never ever releases a 262 DX again...will the 262 DX become a grail item in the far far ...did i say far? future?😅🤪

I daresay it will. It has an advantage of not being prone to obvious yellowing, something we can’t say for another mini-grail the YF-30 Kronos. 

18 hours ago, MKT said:

I daresay it will. It has an advantage of not being prone to obvious yellowing, something we can’t say for another mini-grail the YF-30 Kronos. 

Yeah you are right, that 262 color scheme sure has its advantages. 

You know that first hand unboxing feeling? I dare say the 262 took my breath away first time unboxing it, more than any other valk.
More so than even a fully tampo-ed VF-1 DX.

Those sharp gold lines, the deep blue with the windermere insignia's (especially on the cockpit cover!). One of kawamori-san's design masterpieces IMO. 

5 hours ago, seti88 said:

Yeah you are right, that 262 color scheme sure has its advantages. 

You know that first hand unboxing feeling? I dare say the 262 took my breath away first time unboxing it, more than any other valk.
More so than even a fully tampo-ed VF-1 DX.

Those sharp gold lines, the deep blue with the windermere insignia's (especially on the cockpit cover!). One of kawamori-san's design masterpieces IMO. 

Totally agreed on the scheme, it was masterfully done & icing on top of everything else the 262 represents.

When the prologue episode of Delta was first shown back then with the toys revealed around the same time, I was actually more excited for the 262 than the 31.
It was a combination of feeling the 31 being not fresh enough as it was a heavily redesigned YF-30, and the 262 not only being a new design but also being the first ‘single’ engined VF.

That the 262 almost wholly resembles a real-life jet fighter, that I would argue it resembles the Saab 35 more than the iconic VF-1 does the F-14, really made me look forward to PO night & it’s eventual release for some good old swooshing & nerd out playtime. 

I think the SV-303 gave me the same feeling of anticipation for a DX when it was teased in the movie trailer & line art reveal, but that has fizzled out somewhat with the slow realization that Bandai seemingly not wanting to merchandise anything out of it. No DX, no 1/72 kit, not even the tiny Mecha-Colle kit for it. :(

Edited by MKT

On 1/5/2024 at 8:19 AM, MKT said:

The 30 yellowed?

10 minutes ago, Mommar said:

The 30 yellowed?

Oh yeah, the last 4 or 5 I have seen on Mandarake all had some degree of yellowing. If you have one & it hasn't, you're either very lucky or taking really good care of it. 

51 minutes ago, Mommar said:

The 30 yellowed?

38 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Oh yeah, the last 4 or 5 I have seen on Mandarake all had some degree of yellowing. If you have one & it hasn't, you're either very lucky or taking really good care of it. 

Man, I totally forgot about this issue on YF-30. I Googled and didn't expect it will be yellowed that much (spoiler tag). The Carousell seller mentioned it was displayed and transformed a few times on the description, the reasoning of yellowing. Can be a lot of factor to yellowed like that aside from displaying and playing, right?

Spoiler

bandai_dx_chogokin_yf30_chrono_1621673644_3f721552_progressive.jpg.f04900b9614dc9bbee62ca5b67982cc2.jpg

bandai_dx_chogokin_yf30_chrono_1621673644_de754504_progressive.jpg.ef403bf0dd946452e1b2b1b8172254fb.jpg

bandai_dx_chogokin_yf30_chrono_1621673644_90725ce8_progressive.jpg.efc542063195e18ea276926d3ce520a5.jpg

Anyways, mine has been in storage for months. Hopefully it's still in better condition coz I want to display it once I finished assembling my cabinet. :unsure:

I have seen a 30 displayed in a basement shop of a concrete commercial building in asia within the past month. Take those conditions as you will. The thing was significantly unevenly yellowed, even though it was only moderately yellowed overall. I would probably have for the price had I not noticed, or gone on to try to nab one elsewhere, if not for seeing one in person looking like that.

Eversince seeing theories of styrofoam speeding up yellowing, I've been more worried about unopened white valks with foam packaging than lightly used ones.

The 262 is probably the only one I have no such worries for, since it's so dark.

8 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Man, I totally forgot about this issue on YF-30. I Googled and didn't expect it will be yellowed that much (spoiler tag). The Carousell seller mentioned it was displayed and transformed a few times on the description, the reasoning of yellowing. Can be a lot of factor to yellowed like that aside from displaying and playing, right?

Reveal hidden contents

bandai_dx_chogokin_yf30_chrono_1621673644_3f721552_progressive.jpg.f04900b9614dc9bbee62ca5b67982cc2.jpg

bandai_dx_chogokin_yf30_chrono_1621673644_de754504_progressive.jpg.ef403bf0dd946452e1b2b1b8172254fb.jpg

bandai_dx_chogokin_yf30_chrono_1621673644_90725ce8_progressive.jpg.efc542063195e18ea276926d3ce520a5.jpg

It's a real shame with the YF-30 for so many reasons, they never did a reissue or any other color schemes. The few times I've had some extra spending cash, I've thought of grabbing a Chronos but damn, even the ones that are yellowed are expensive. On a side note, my Yamato 1/48 Max 1A (DYRL) that never came out of the box... also yellowed, something in the plastic just turns at some point it would seem. 

And now, back to your regular scheduled discussion about the SV-262. B))

14 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Reveal hidden contents

Anyways, mine has been in storage for months. Hopefully it's still in better condition coz I want to display it once I finished assembling my cabinet. :unsure:

Not all of them yellow, mine looks fine.

20240107_003006.jpg

20240107_003030.jpg

15 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

I have two, they're both fine.  Those people on Mandarake have some ludicrous chemical issues in their apartments... or are massive chain smokers.

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

I have two, they're both fine.  Those people on Mandarake have some ludicrous chemical issues in their apartments... or are massive chain smokers.

Assuming you display the two units, doesn't that point towards the styrofoam? If they are out of the box, they wouldnt be in contact with the stuff. But unopened and then stashed at mandarake makes them perfect candidates for yellowing.

Can't deny that mandarake stuff, whether its the store or previous owners, may have some nasty fumes though. Last year, I got a gunpla from them with a heavy musty(?) smell and extremely murky yellow factory sealed bags for the runners. The runners inside smelled as bad as outside. I cut, sanded, and then washed the kit with baking soda, vinegar, various soap, isopropanol, etc, and it still smells to this day after building it... fortunately the parts aren't yellowed though

Mine looks fine and it's been sitting in it's box with Styrofoam for 99% of it's life, just comes out for photo shoots. This one is definitely prone to yellowing though. It seems it only takes a little sunlight or heat to trigger it.

7 hours ago, PointBlankSniper said:

Assuming you display the two units, doesn't that point towards the styrofoam? If they are out of the box, they wouldnt be in contact with the stuff. But unopened and then stashed at mandarake makes them perfect candidates for yellowing.

Can't deny that mandarake stuff, whether its the store or previous owners, may have some nasty fumes though. Last year, I got a gunpla from them with a heavy musty(?) smell and extremely murky yellow factory sealed bags for the runners. The runners inside smelled as bad as outside. I cut, sanded, and then washed the kit with baking soda, vinegar, various soap, isopropanol, etc, and it still smells to this day after building it... fortunately the parts aren't yellowed though

They've out and posed for a decade now.

Mine's been displayed in a display cabinet since practically the day I got it years ago and there's no yellowing on mine either.  Even my 1/48 Yamato VF-1s are fine.  I haven't had anything get discolored aside from the good ole Urkel pants v1 RVF-25 and VF-25G which, given the circumstances of how everything else is fine, I am attributing to bad batches of plastic used.

20240107_164201.jpg.1dfbdb5302b1031ad8c440cdd1c97ad7.jpg20240107_164235.jpg.edb89036415005888c8175fa378e7fcb.jpg

Another vote for non-yellowing YF-30s - I've had in my cabinet since day one.  It's even against the snow we just got last night as color cast balance 🤣  It could be that I protected my weathering with a sprayed on coat Future Floor Polish?  The only yellowing I get is from some old Yammy 1/72 ver 1.0 and Yammy 1/48.IMG_2997.JPG.c10067e1fabf2b7ee89ca3964ae11341.JPG

No yellowing on my YF-30 either.

51328675897_f56b5bab36_k.jpg

However, I will say that I have had a couple of yellowing valks, and they are all from Bandai. I recently took my 25As out of storage and while one was yellow, the other was still pristine white, despite being storaged in their styrofoam trays and in identical conditions for X number of years.

Bandai's valks have always felt cheaper overall than Yamato, and it wouldn't surprise me if that cost-cutting applied to their plastic mix as well. Bandai's releases have always cost less, but that cheapness shows in the overall fit & finish and propensity of their valks to yellow.

4 hours ago, wm cheng said:

It could be that I protected my weathering with a sprayed on coat Future Floor Polish?

I am wondering that as well. Practically everything I have has a clear coat on it except for most of the Delta valks.

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Bandai's valks have always felt cheaper overall than Yamato, and it wouldn't surprise me if that cost-cutting applied to their plastic mix as well. Bandai's releases have always cost less, but that cheapness shows in the overall fit & finish and propensity of their valks to yellow.

That's interesting that two of the same valks stored in the same way have entirely different results. Lends credibility to the theory about some batches of plastic being bad or something.

All your panel lined and weathered YF-30s look amazing and they pop! :wub:

Yellowing aside, the 30 is how a colour-on-white based scheme should be. Pretty much well thought out colour placements, akin to the 262.