Hi-Metal R

joppewo

agree, its not like the old hi metal was bad but that new fighter is just....nice. the panel lines are deeper, scuplting is way more sharp.

Well, it was posted that Kawamori personally helped rework the design... Maybe Bandai is doing what Arcadia did with the VF-0's and used the same previous engineering but with an updated sculpt.

Edit: Haha, Vifam7 beat me to it.

Edited by Offswitch

Wasn't it reported somewhere that Kawamori was making adjustments to the sculpt?

Yup... I just didn't expect such a difference. I liked the original already for the the size of the toy but this is such an improvement from one angle. Need to see more pictures.

What are those dark sections of the backpack hinge? Perhaps they have chosen to construct that hinge with metal?

looks like it...

It's plastic now... I think that's just black plastic on that image. The new one looks a bit shiny but it can still be plastic. I'm not sure if it needs metal either unless there was trouble with the FP's, which I never got.

It's plastic now... I think that's just black plastic on that image. The new one looks a bit shiny but it can still be plastic. I'm not sure if it needs metal either unless there was trouble with the FP's, which I never got.

Thanks for confirming that, EXO! Yeah, I never owned the original Hi-Metal, but I can't imagine them changing it to metal unless they really had to for the GBP armor or somehting.

Not really...but kind of....

Dammit jvm, I thought that was a pic of a new variant for this new Hi-Metal R when I first saw that pic! Got my hopes up :p

It seems that there is a change on the connection between the cockpit and the leading edge on top of the intakes. Sliding mechanism for a better proportioned battroid maybe?

Yes! I see it... Like the VF-0 and the v.2 VF-1. There is a lot of space between the intakes and the chest in battroid, hopefully this is a fix. Sharp eye!

It's exactly the same mold to me. It's just the photoshop power and the other pic is a bad one.

I agree.

Looks like the same proportions as the old one.

Prolly just bad photography on the previous version pic.

That said, maybe Bandai's using new plastic material and/or paint-finish for the new version.

ap_20090222011318408jpg_1235287612.jpg

Just a friendly reminder that the VF 100's line that failed was pretty ambitious and they even included Macross Zero as a possible future release. This poster was inviting people to participate in a questionnaire for future releases. It is currently unknown whether Bandai has the rights to Macross PLUS, 7 and Zero. However, they did plan for a YF-21 Hi Metal back in the day.

Oh wow, even the VT-1, VE-1 and VF-4 are on there. But the usually VF-4 gets more love than VF-3000, VA-3 etc.

Edited by calubin_175

It seems that there is a change on the connection between the cockpit and the leading edge on top of the intakes. Sliding mechanism for a better proportioned battroid maybe?

Yes! I see it... Like the VF-0 and the v.2 VF-1. There is a lot of space between the intakes and the chest in battroid, hopefully this is a fix. Sharp eye!

Ooops... Looks like that feature was already there... I was just to afraid to transform my 1/100 because I noticed the head laser is starting to break off... sucks!

ap_20090222011318408jpg_1235287612.jpg

Just a friendly reminder that the VF 100's line that failed was pretty ambitious and they even included Macross Zero as a possible future release. This poster was inviting people to participate in a questionnaire for future releases. It is currently unknown whether Bandai has the rights to Macross PLUS, 7 and Zero. However, they did plan for a YF-21 Hi Metal back in the day.

Oh wow, even the VT-1, VE-1 and VF-4 are on there. But the usually VF-4 gets more love than VF-3000, VA-3 etc.

they are 1/100 and bandai being bandai, I think they can easily get license for those if they wanted to

the problem is VF 100's are aweful and imo, did not sell well. Hi-metal before, imo, did not sell well because you can actually buy a yamato for the same price since they are heavily discounted

Guest davidwhangchoi

I agree.

Looks like the same proportions as the old one.

Prolly just bad photography on the previous version pic.

That said, maybe Bandai's using new plastic material and/or paint-finish for the new version.

maybe i'll get one...

maybe i won't get one

Do you remember Hi Metal Love ?...This reissue is the passionate reply from Bandai to that MW love letter... :wub: Romance is in the air..

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36587&hl=%2Bmetal+%2Blove

Edited by VALKYRIE ACE PILOT

They should have saved themselves a lot of headaches and just released these as 1/100 studio models of the fighters.

The detail was AMAZING and make great display pieces for those who don't want transforming toys or build model kits, but love the VF fighter designs.

I got the VF100- VF-25F & S limited edition static fighters with metalized paint and they are simply gorgeous as display models!

Edited by Zinjo

The VF100 line was awful... so so awful. If they made all of those like they did the VF-25 VF100 toys you wouldn't get them all unless you were a glutton for punishment.

The video review from Vangelus made them look like they had a really fun play-pattern. ^_^ On the other hand... that CollectionDX review....

:D

Hi-metal before, imo, did not sell well because you can actually buy a yamato for the same price since they are heavily discounted

The under/overpricing between Bandai and Yamato back then really screwed the original hi-metal line. Whether it was Bandai overpricing or underproducing the hi-metals, Yamato overproducing the v.2 VF-1s, or some combination of both, when I went looking at buying a hi-metal, they were more expensive than just about every single 1/60th VF-1 on the market.

With Arcadia's pricing scale getting higher, the hi-metals may have more of a chance this time, but the market damage may be done, and Bandai might have a hard time selling an incredibly limited selection of 1/100 VF-1s to people who are already sitting on a complete line of 1/60ths. That nostalgia itch has been scratched, and that window is closed for a lot of people, and might not open for a long while.

I just hope Bandai will milk their molds to the same extent that Yamato did. I think offering a more complete line is probably one thing that would convince people with limited space to sell off their 1/60ths for a more compact collection. Having the enemy mechs and destroids is already a huge benefit, but I wonder if it's enough for Bandai to actually call the line a success.

Dunno if they're metal now (hope so!), but the early prototype for the original Hi-Metal also had that section dark.

t005.jpg

sorry to say but this doesn't impress me at all.. especially those feet / exhaust tips. The whole thing actually just looks cheap and slapped together.

sorry to say but this doesn't impress me at all.. especially those feet / exhaust tips. The whole thing actually just looks cheap and slapped together.

The original Hi-Metals were HORRIBLE looking in figher and gerwalk. Just like that pic really.

I think "horrible" might be over-stated.

Hi-Metal-Comparison-11.jpg

They definitely have some minor geometry problems and were FAT in the back when viewed from overhead... unfortunately I don't think I have a Yamato V2 overhead comparison:

Hi-Metal-Comparison-2.jpg

To be fair though, no toy comes close to that line art, even the Yamato V2 is quite a bit fat in the back in comparison (imagine the thickness of the arms otherwise!)

Edited by jenius

I think "horrible" might be over-stated.

Hi-Metal-Comparison-11.jpg

They definitely have some minor geometry problems and were FAT in the back when viewed from overhead... unfortunately I don't think I have a Yamato V2 overhead comparison:

Hi-Metal-Comparison-2.jpg

To be fair though, no toy comes close to that line art, even the Yamato V2 is quite a bit fat in the back in comparison (imagine the thickness of the arms otherwise!)

The overhead view of the line art VF-1 looks impossibly skinny in the rear section... like this is one example where I'd say that the line art got it wrong.