Hi-Metal R

joppewo

The problem with the nose isn't a lineart thing.. it's a cross-section issue. They did it with the 1/100, and they did the same thing (to an even worse extent actually, in my opinion) with the 1/72 transforming kit.

Whether it's accurate or not is one issue, but ever since the Takatoku 1/55, my impression was that the VF-1 had a fairly flat underside to the forward fuselage, shaped a little like the Su-24 Fencer. The tip has always looked bent up and flat underneath, and the flat bottom blends well with the nose fairings, and makes the transition to the head nice and even.

Everything since then has seemed to carry over that flat bottom. The Yamato/Arcadia molds always have, and Hasegawa picked up on that. Frankly, it makes sense from a landing gear perspective too, since the gear door arrangement resembles a naval F-4, which had a big flat square door in front. The flat doors helped simplify the mechanism on the early VF-1 toys on top of it.

Bandai seems to love screwing with expectations, because they seem to be convinced that the nose should be a near circular cross section. A lot of the line-art for the VF-1 disagrees with that, and to top it off, I think the round nose section just looks ugly, and gives the plane a bad shape aesthetically. The MMM pics definitely do not look like the nose is circular.

vf-1a-fighter-ventral.gif

(From The Macross Mecha Manual, apologies if I cited that in a non-preferred way)

Granted, there's a lot of art quality fluctuation, so the shape of the nose may or may not vary frame by frame. But I thought the shape of the nose was fairly well defined, before Bandai started trying to re-write the line art. <_<

Edit: Looking at other pics, the Hi-Metal is still fairly flat underneath, but that upper view of the nosecone just looks horribly misshapen, as if there's no actual curvature to it at all, and it's just a straight cone shape.

Edited by Chronocidal

It appears that Bandai is going the smart route of merchandising popular and classic mecha that hasn't had a modern toy/model kit. I guess it always works, especially with 80s stuff. They've done L Gaim, Dunbine and Vifam.

Blue Spartan as exclusive please.

The Spartan appears to be the prototype of all western ground mecha as Battletech and Mech Warrior took cues from it.

Meanwhile, you could find the entire lineup of arii kits here.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models/arii/arii_orig.htm

Glaug!!!!

ESS08.jpg

god i need that glaug. personally i wish someone would d a 1/60 one (heck a well done vinyl will do!!), but this small size could be good for a mini diaroma as they have shown (well that is a full size one). i think i'm gonna jump "all in" on this line. the naked 1j posted above (think i saw it on cybergundam too?) looks as if its leg assembly isn't full tabbed in. the nosecone as per usual (other than yamarcadia v2) is too low as well. still...if bandai is doign to give us a nice line with enemy mecha...i'm happy.

when that comes out i can FINALLY do a hikaru vs. kamjin scene/shot. i think that was one of the coolest "duels" in sdfm. right up there with breetai vs. the vermillion....which reminds me...when we gonnna get some 1/100 zentrans?

Edited by Mechapilot77

Lol! Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in (with appropriate gesticulations)!

I'm still on the fence on this mainly because:

1. Scale - it's not 1/60, and 1/100 means it's smaller than the recent bandai kits 1/72... --> run away

2. Comprehensive planned/announced "menu" (still with risk of some toys not materializing though) --> buy em all

It appears that Bandai is going the smart route of merchandising popular and classic mecha that hasn't had a modern toy/model kit. I guess it always works, especially with 80s stuff. They've done L Gaim, Dunbine and Vifam.

Blue Spartan as exclusive please.

The Spartan appears to be the prototype of all western ground mecha as Battletech and Mech Warrior took cues from it.

Don't forget the blue Phalanx variant!

destroid-phalanx-blue.jpg

So unless Bandai is totally trolling us....they are hell-bent on bringing us a pretty decent 1/100 set of the most important SDFM mechas....

VF-1 Fab Five (VF-1S Roy, VF-1J Hikaru, MAx & Milia VF-1Js, and the VF-1A Standard Type)

Potentially all of the Destroids - ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Regult (and how easy would it be for them to sell websclusive weapons packs and a Scout Regult?)

The Glaug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bandai is making collecting Macross Toys fun again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I reckon you need to brush up on your BT/MW stuff coz the Spartan ain't just a prototype for the BT/MW and they didn't take cues from it.

It was (along with other Macross mechs) an actual official mech in the BT/MW universe prior to being referred to as one of the Unseen...

Bandai is pretty clever....or pure evil genius...

They know that scores of Macross collectors are neck deep in the entire SDF Macross TV line from Yamato....in 1/60......

It would be tough to drop that line and go to a V3 (or DX?...yet)..........so they go balls out with a pretty complete line in 1/100....much cheaper and much easier to rationalize the double dip.....

I have to admit...without the inclusion of the Destroids and Zentran mechs...this would be much easier to pass.....

Way to go Bandai!

Now all we need is this....do it!!!!! Take our money!!!!!

queadluun-rau.gif

throwing-money.gif

It looks like they've added additional tampo printing to the VF toys. The original Hi-Metal didn't have "UN Spacy" or "101" printed on the lower leg of the VF-1J toy. And not to start another color war, but to my eye the 1J appears to have a slightly beige/off-white color to it, whereas the original was a more brighter shade of white.

That Glaug looks loverly!

This may influence my decision to stick with MG gundams, as well. I'm trying to limit the scales I collect, and I like crossover displays.

Ie: the AMT Star Destroyer is close enough for me to display alongside the IMAI Macross. Hasegawa Valks will reside with my Valley Gunship & F-4U Corsair.

Hmmm... Maiden Japan from Toynami leaves for Japan next thing you know a bunch of 1/100 displayed there...

lol... kidding!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm... Maiden Japan from Toynami leaves for Japan next thing you know a bunch of 1/100 displayed there...

lol... kidding!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had forgotten all about the 1/100 GBP Toynami announced a while back...he sculpted that one too, no? What a waste of talent. Idiots!

This release pretty much makes the Toynami pointless... :rolleyes:

I had forgotten all about the 1/100 GBP Toynami announced a while back...he sculpted that one too, no? What a waste of talent. Idiots!

This release pretty much makes the Toynami pointless... :rolleyes:

Almost everything makes Toynami pointless :D