Observations and questions

Opening desert scene, original X-wing, o new JJ Abrams x-wing?

Going by the timing of Luke’s monologue, my guess is that’s his hand on R2, and that is Leia taking possession of Luke’s ANH/ESB lightsaber? It’s a youngish looking hand

though, so flashback scene? What’s the creature handing it off and what’s the background?

The Sith lighting up is red sabre, definitely a storm trooper in the back ground of that fight scene.

Black tie-fighters with white solar cells?

New design star destroyer

Crome trooper looks pretty bad-ass. Looks like his blaster has an AR collapsible buttstock with a Tapco cheekriser? 1-4x scope?

Falcon chase scene, Falcon flying through the engine of a down Star Destroyer?

Observations and questionsOpening desert scene, original X-wing, o new JJ Abrams x-wing?Going by the timing of Lukes monologue, my guess is thats his hand on R2, and that is Leia taking possession of Lukes ANH/ESB lightsaber? Its a youngish looking handthough, so flashback scene? Whats the creature handing it off and whats the background?The Sith lighting up is red sabre, definitely a storm trooper in the back ground of that fight scene.Black tie-fighters with white solar cells?New design star destroyerCrome trooper looks pretty bad-ass. Looks like his blaster has an AR collapsible buttstock with a Tapco cheekriser? 1-4x scope?Falcon chase scene, Falcon flying through the engine of a down Star Destroyer?

Crashe X-wing is definately the old original type X-wing. You can tell by the complete circular intake for the upper engine.

post-265-0-71214100-1429225389_thumb.jpg

Looks like the falcon is flying through a crashed Super Star Destroyer!

post-265-0-75300300-1429225449_thumb.jpg

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Yep, that theme always gets me teary eyed.

Now, they need to make up for the prequels and actually USE that music.. prequel soundtracks really needed more callbacks to that sort of theme.

Looks like it will be fun, though I still think the new x-wing wings look incredibly stupid from every angle except directly in front (so you cant tell how skinny and weak they look).

Did anybody else think the downed star destroyer looked like a model or a matte painting, and not CG?

GOOD on them if it's not CGI...

For some reason, the scene with the downed X-wing and Star Destroyer reminds me of the scene in Macross SDF with a wrecked VF-1 and Zentradi ship on the surface of the post-war Earth.

Looks like the falcon is flying through a crashed Super Star Destroyer!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ooh, interesting. I first thought it was Venator-class based on the engines, but I've only watched it on my phone so far.

(Venator-class wrecks would be like 100x more common, but the raw size required for a scene like that does point towards an SSD)

For some reason, the scene with the downed X-wing and Star Destroyer reminds me of the scene in Macross SDF with a wrecked VF-1 and Zentradi ship on the surface of the post-war Earth.

Good one. Someone should post the two shots...

Ooh, interesting. I first thought it was Venator-class based on the engines, but I've only watched it on my phone so far.

(Venator-class wrecks would be like 100x more common, but the raw size required for a scene like that does point towards an SSD)

Also that shot has no sign of the big hyperdrive generator/inertial compensator nacelle you'd see on a Venator, but it does appear to have the secondary drives from an Executor-class in the background.

I must admit I'm a bit of a cynical sceptic when it comes to sequels, but this trailer had me almost tearing up a little. It just might seem that Abrams nailed the atmosphere and old school feel Star Wars had. And the "Chewie, we're back" had me almost in tears.

It just might seem that Abrams nailed the atmosphere and old school feel Star Wars had.

I keep thinking---is it simply due to real sets and real models, as opposed to green-screen sets and CG ships? Or is it something much more than that, harder to identify and replicate?

Yeah that makes no sense at all. They should've just left that part of the redesign alone, or something...

As much as I like the new X-wing, I agree that doesn't make sense.

Chris

Maybe it's not a "fan" or rotating thing at all? Maybe it's just a series of blade like screens or something; sort of like the screens that cover a VF1's intakes in Batteoid mode?

Maybe it's not a "fan" or rotating thing at all? Maybe it's just a series of blade like screens or something; sort of like the screens that cover a VF1's intakes in Batteoid mode?

I was thinking along the same lines...maybe they are some sort of thrust vector vanes for reverse thrust while in space flight? They LOOK silly but I can come up with "geek" explanations for them ;)

Chris

It's Star Wars, it's fantasy. The starship designs aren't supposed to "make sense." You guys have seen these movies before, right?

You'd also expect that the Jawas would take care of the grounded stuff instantly.

This isn't the planet you're looking for

Edited by Duke Togo