He didn't write Into Darkness. Also, he loves Star Wars as much as anyone else does; Trek was a job, and he didn't have that level of investment in it.

mumble, mumble....

Edited by Mommar

While Abrams famously didn't have a strong connection to Star Trek and is a self-proclaimed Star Wars fan (who his age isn't?) I'm just not completely convinced.

You can look at the Trek writing credits, his name isn't among them. The usual suspects of shite writing are on the Trek credits. You know who's name is on TFA writing credits? Lawrence Kasdan's (along with Abrams).

Abrams also excells at getting good performances out of his cast.

Edited by Duke Togo

I don't mind that he didn't write what he did or didn't write, my concern is about his direction. I'm just frankly not a fan of Abrams' work. Not to mention his credit as a writer includes Armageddon, and that pretty well sums it up.

Armageddon is fųcking awesome. Argument denied!

Also, I'm pretty sure it's a prequel to the live action Yamato movie.

Edited by Keith

If Abrams impressed Kevin Smith enough, that Smith says "it's in good hands".. I'm going to have faith.

Smith is a huge critic of Star Wars, and hearing that he was impressed with everything he saw, really makes

me feel better as a fan, that it will at least feel organic, and have good acting.

I don't mind that he didn't write what he did or didn't write, my concern is about his direction. I'm just frankly not a fan of Abrams' work. Not to mention his credit as a writer includes Armageddon, and that pretty well sums it up.

People have raved about that movie for centuries. I tried watching it but it was so bombastic and explosive (the few minutes I managed to watch, the characters weren't talking, just yelling, screaming, barking at one another) that I had to turn it off. A visit to the doctors office revealed damage done to my sight and hearing... Edited by myk

People have raved about that movie for centuries. I tried watching it but it was so bombastic and explosive (the few minutes I managed to watch, the characters weren't talking, just yelling, screaming, barking at one another) that I had to turn it off. A visit to the doctors office revealed damage done to my sight and hearing...

He didn't direct that, Myk. He also wrote "Regarding Henry." If we want to take this discussion into unrelated ridiculous land, we can.

The Armageddon hate is purely fan rage based now. It was a fantastic popcorn summer flick. ... It's not meant to be a "Deep Movie".

Had we this community back when Armageddon came out, a good chunk of the people on the forum would have been loving all over it. Even if I don't always comment, I dip into every movie thread on this forum. I know what you guys like and don't like, don't kid yourselves. :p

Edited by Duke Togo

YOU guys might have liked Armageddon but I wouldn't. I was not expecting a deep movie, I was expecting a decent action/disaster movie and it was not that either.

I've never actually seen it, lol

He didn't direct that, Myk. He also wrote "Regarding Henry." If we want to take this discussion into unrelated ridiculous land, we can.

I never said he did direct Armageddon, I was just commenting on the movie itself and the annoying fact that 99% of the people I know ADORE this BAD movie. If you're trying to pick a fight for your "dojo" you won't get one out of me, good sir...

Edited by myk

I never said he did direct Armageddon, I was just commenting on the movie itself and the annoying fact that 99% of the people I know ADORE this BAD movie. If you're trying to pick a fight for your "dojo" you won't get one out of me, good sir...

I don't think that's a proper use of the dojo reference. :p

I've never actually seen it, lol

Don't.

Aside from some 'character building moments' that are kind of fun, it... is... truly... bad.

I'm referring here to the complete and total lack of common sense when it comes to portraying space and the business of living/moving/working in it.

Don't.

Aside from some 'character building moments' that are kind of fun, it... is... truly... bad.

I'm referring here to the complete and total lack of common sense when it comes to portraying space and the business of living/moving/working in it.

That was a very kind way of putting it.

The writing is one thing, but it's up to good direction to ensure the best of that writing and more ends up on screen . Until I see the film, I won't be able to lay down this nagging feeling that Jar Jar Abrams is gonna screw it up.

Jar Jar Abrams? Are you the kind of guy who spells Microsoft with a dollar sign, too? You being the expert, do tell us about all the times he's failed to get a good performance out of his cast or has directed sequences that were visually hard to follow or otherwise incoherent.

Jar Jar Abrams? Are you the kind of guy who spells Microsoft with a dollar sign, too? You being the expert, do tell us about all the times he's failed to get a good performance out of his cast or has directed sequences that were visually hard to follow or otherwise incoherent.

The scene with the blond stripping down in front of Kirk on the Shuttle Craft followed quickly by Bones and the Blond being down on the planet and Kirk being on the bridge of the Enterprise in Into Darkness.

So Khan beamed himself directly from EARTH TO KRONOS earlier in the movie, yet Kirk going from a shuttlecraft to the bridge is a problem?

(or is it Q'uonos?)

Qo'noS, you p'tahk! My targ speaks better klingon than you!

So Khan beamed himself directly from EARTH TO KRONOS earlier in the movie, yet Kirk going from a shuttlecraft to the bridge is a problem?

(or is it Q'uonos?)

I think the inconsistency is the narrative one, what is Kirk doing in the shuttlecraft then? Did he drop the blonde off before heading to the bridge? What is the significance of shooting him in the shuttle then? Why is the captain dropping them off?

Just examples. I love the movie. Just wanting to show what he meant.

On the subject of JJ Abrams and Star Trek...

While watching Star Trek: The Movie(not to be confused with Star Trek: The Motion Picture), I kept thinking "He would REALLY rather be doing Star Wars."

While watching Star Trek: Into Darkness, I kept thinking "Wow, this is hilariously badly-written."

On the subject of JJ Abrams and Star Trek...

While watching Star Trek: The Movie(not to be confused with Star Trek: The Motion Picture), I kept thinking "He would REALLY rather be doing Star Wars."

While watching Star Trek: Into Darkness, I kept thinking "Wow, this is hilariously badly-written."

Thank you, JB