Bandai DX YF-30 Chronos

UN Spacy

Looking at the image I really like how the arm transforms. It is similar to the YF-21 as far as I can tell.

Some differences:

the housing for the hands seem to fold rather seamlessly into the lower legs

parts of the underside of the wings fold around the forearm

like the YF-21 it has panels that cover parts of the arm. In the case of the YF-30 it seems to cover the upper arm. the panel seems rather large. Hopefully the panel is not a floppy mess that dangles around in Gerwal-/Battroid-Mode.

Regarding the hard points. The way the wing tips fold up against the main wing missiles will get in the way. So either the hard points are not usable in Battroid-Mode or the cannot fold flush against the main wings. I question this design choice. Not only prevents this point from fully utilizing the attachment point (as described) it also prevents a heavy workload like the MDE-Missiles. If the wing tip joint it loose this will automatically lead to a drooped wing because the way it was designed to fold up against the main wing. I don't know why the tips don't fold up against the upper side of the main wings. Maybe it was an oversight or Kawamori designed it without hard points in mind.

So it will only be the small single missiles form the VF-171 on the outer hard points. Bummer. What I like are the attachment points on the forearms. That way you can have a missile launcher (like the cluster from the Nightmare Plus) and pointing it towards a threat. An imaginary threat because there was no sighting of the S.H.Monsterarts Vajra. The hard points on the stock YF-30 makes me wonder if they will include missiles with the toy or if they will come as an add-on set with modules for the weapon bay.

Oh I so want a giant transformable beam gun for the YF-30. BFGs all the way! :D

Cool, so it does have hard points after all. It looks like the missiles from either of the 171 super parts sets should fit them.

I'm half surprised they didn't design the wings and panels to be swappable to the detriment of the toy so they could include the ones without hard points with the toy make us buy a separate set of wings if we want to be able to equip missiles. :p

Oh wait, they still could... err... Nope. Nothing to see here Bandai! Carry on!

I wonder why they chose to go with hard points for this release? I will say that having that hard point right where the forearm shield is located appears as sort of a blemish, really. I like options for loading out and changing the look of my Mecha but it's a bit of a let down how visible that hard point is. Though to be honest, provided it could be held on with a death grip, that panel could easily be swapped for a flat one. Given the look of the panel line on the outer wing the other hard point could conceivably be removable too. The only problem with that is Bandai's potential poor engineering which could mean the hard point panels can easily droop/fall off .

Edited by Mommar

Yeah it seems that the parts with the hard points area easily swappable. What could that mean?

Here the swappable parts would make more sense than on the VF-171 since they are more pronounced and clearly visible in Battroid-Mode. If this means that Bandai has plans to release add-on sets I would embrace the swappable parts. On the other hand Bandai should include all the extras from the beginning.

IIRC on the first renders/prototype of the VF-171 there where also hard points included so we could see that happen again with the YF-30.

Yeah, I could see it being a separate set. Bandai likes their add-ons. But, if it's some additional panels and missiles... that's not much. Maybe there is a chance Kawamori designed some other add-ons they would choose to include to swap out the missile container too? Either that or we're paying $80 for two swappable panels and some missile parts. lol I suppose there's also an off chance that since the game was released Kawamori came up with some armor parts for the thing as well and they'll show up too (fyi, I don't believe my own speculation here.)

Edited by Mommar

Are you saying if a company gave you money to design add-ons for business sake you wouldn't do it? lol.

The real question is, would Kawamori design armor parts during the design of the YF-30 as a normal step.

Or is it an after thought, brought on by cold hard Bandai cash?

looks pretty good. i do wish the deco had more black to be less "alto-ish" ( i mean how many valks does that little princess need?!) and had a more distinct head. i wish i knew if they had other decos planned or not. if they did i'd probably skip this one (especially if they are going to releaes that "skywarp deco" or "thrust deco"). as is, i'll probably get it for fear that other decos will never materialize.

Remember that Alto-ish is also Hikaru-ish.

True, BUT only if you prefer DYRL to SDFM. i like the hikaru dyrl scheme but i'll take a bare bones vf-1j white with red trim to a strike hikaru vf-1s anyday unless you are talking about resale value (due to fast packs). being american the dyrl hikaru scheme was always a "reverse jetfire scheme" with a cool green eye...black and red reversed on the chest. the vf-1j hikaru is the iconic hikaru colors to me. i didn't see DYRL until the early 90s release of the VHS "clash of the bionoids" (horrible version of it btw but i still liked it).

The thing I will say about this color scheme. While it resembles Hikaru's, after Hikaru came Isamu which looked different, came Basara which looked different, came what's-his-face from Mac Zero which looked different, came Alto which looked different (though was a throw-back to Hikaru) and now Leon... who we can all confuse for Alto because it LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME. 171, 25F and now the 30, unless you played the game and know the difference you're going to confuse this thing for Alto (which may actually be the marketing strategy from Bandai.)

Guest davidwhangchoi

it does look like alto... who's leon??? i thought he was Priss' boyfriend and was a cop ;)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Leon's the guy that killed Cathy's dad. :p (and tried but failed to kill Grace)

It's times like this where I wish things got written more clearly than open interpretations of TV vs. OVA vs. Movie

And just showed finalizations. I thought Grace was assumingly dead and the end of Goodbye to Triangle?

Or is this just that M30 is a mish-mash of intertwined story lines that weren't really meant to connect.

Either way, I don't care whose colors it is, I just want nao.