Bandai 1/72 fully transform able VF-1 plastic kit for Macross 30th Ann

Vi-RS

The new transformation mechanism's pretty sweet, though I feel it's just a bit more fragile than we want it to be. It'd probably be more impressive if this kit was intended to be produced like the RG kits. Also, those 2 holes on the backpack look suspicious, are they for locking the arms in place in fighter mode? Yeah, the FP's back parts look a little small too.

Is it just me, or do the back FAST Packs, Strike cannon look too small.

Graham

Extremely small and the shape is completely wrong too. The leg packs are completely wrong.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

Yeah. FPs looks too small and has weird shapes. They'll probably rework it but why even show it off if it looks that far off.

And too kibbly (word?) at 1/72 scale. If Bandai produces that to be stable in any mode, it'd be incredibly impressive.

The articulation looks impressive, but I have no idea how they expect to manufacture that in 1/72 and keep the parts from snapping in half if you breathe on them. The 1/72 VF-25s are bad enough, and this is even smaller, and looks extremely intricate. Unless that entire inner framework is metal, I don't know how you'll ever be able to actually transform it without pieces snapping off every direction.

Do appreciate that they're actually including all the weapons it seems, even some atmospheric missiles with the fins deployed. FAST packs are definitely wonky though, and way too small. Hope it's not because of weight issues.

Wow, seeing that post just made this day exciting to me, like OMG :o hydraulic pistons looking for legs delivery panels and as hydraulic locking pistons for chest plate with back plate, and retractable wings to solve the overhang main wings for battroide mode. I say Amen for seeing that the innovation of perfect transformation for our beloved Valkyrie is still moving forward.

The mechanism is amazing! Specially for the scale.

However, it brings me back the nightmare of old Bandai vf-25 alto kit and what happened to the paint and decals..etc.

I will pick this up anyways, but I'd rather have it as a pre-painted/ finished toy when it comes to transforming Valkyries.

Edited by kyekye

Very Very nice, they should have made into a toy first.

I'd be more than happy if they went the MG Gundam Plamo rout and had every conceivable color break broken down into color specific sprue trees and/or their multi-color, multimedia sprues. The 25s were more akin to HG kits in the way they separated parts by color, but I'd really like to get MG/RG/PG level molding here.

Edited by mechaninac

First off, thanks guys for keeping us up to date on this! Second, would it be out of line to call this sexy? Looks good. The FP's might be off, but some from an old Bandai or Hase could substitute. The ordinance selection and the optional hardpoionts are a GREAT idea! I think they're doing great so far. No kit seems to get everythign right. Even the 1/72nd -25's weren't to the right scale! I guess you win some and lose some. Then again, it's not in production yet. - MT

I'd be more than happy if they went the MG Gundam Plamo rout and had every conceivable color break broken down into color specific sprue trees and/or their multi-color, multimedia sprues. The 25s were more akin to HG kits in the way they separated parts by color, but I'd really like to get MG/RG/PG level molding here.

I hope for, but don't expect that. Molding the wings and tailfins in several pieces to have molded-in accent colors would help prevent a LOT of paint-rubs, but I figure they'll be single pieces with decals, and won't last 1 full sequence of F-B-F.

Similarly---I'd love a Milia, but figure it'd be molded like 90% red, and would come with a ton of white stickers to cover the legs and arms with...

Now, if the parts layout was broken up correctly, and most every piece was molded the correct color like a modern MG with almost no painting needed, then it'd be AMAZING and I'd probably buy several...

Also agreed on that, as for the FP don't really care about it.

Bandai has gotten a lot better at doing space fighter kits. Just look at their Cosmo Zero Alpha from Yamato 2199. The thing has just one seam line between the top and bottom of the fuselage and the only thing that needs painting is the Canopy (but of course proper paint makes it look 10000x better)

When I built mine I could not believe how perfectly the thing went together. Even the Machine-gun ports on the bottom of the fighter and the large cannon in front have proper grey coloring, and this is in 1/72.... the thing is tiny.

20130222tome41.jpg

If Bandai upscaled this to 1/48 I'd probably buy too many for my own good.

Edited by Duymon

Now available for pre-order at AmiAmi

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross 1/72 VF-1 Strike Parts Set for Valkyrie P..| 1,450 JPY|
The Super Dimension Fortress Macross 1/72 VF-1A/S Valkyrie Hikaru Ichijyou Mod..| 3,270 JPY|

-Edit: You beat me to it!!

Edited by kyekye

Wow, that was fast! :lol: Well, unlike the typical Bandai DX releases, I have no trouble believing the kits will be available for a long time. I don't know how many production runs of the VF-25 kits have gone through Bandai, but aside from the occasional time they run out and have to restock, those are still easily available from HLJ on a fairly consistent basis.

Do think it's pretty audacious of them to put up sales using CAD renders though. I mean, do they not even have a finished prototype mold yet?

Edited by Chronocidal

Do think it's pretty audacious of them to put up sales using CAD renders though. I mean, do they not even have a finished prototype mold yet?

Yeah that's a ballsy move.

I really want to know if they fixed the Strike pack size or not. Or is it too late to change it?

Who knows, we aren't allowed to see what we are buying ¬_¬

I placed an order for an out of stock Hasagawa Battleoid VF1S w/ strike pack just yesterday. I'll cancel it and get this if it's good.

Edited by Kaldar5

Nice to see a decent rendering of what this'll look like. I'm so used to seeing the shoulder/neck of the Yamato V2, it looks a little weird - but actually not too far from the original animation. Looks like a good compromise. Hopefully the fit of the parts improves when they go to production.

With Yamato once releasing just about every Valk, and even their 1/60 toy as an unassembled kit, I find ZERO need for this. Maybe if it looked a little better, I'd jump in for one, but it just doesn't have the charm.

Oh, those dipwads... that's utter bs. They don't include any of the weapons with the normal kit.. they all come with the fast packs. Even the A/A missiles not used with the fast packs. <_<

Idiots.

I might get one eventually, but considering how many Yamato 1/60 kits I have already, I don't see much of a reason. Plus, you don't get any missiles at all unless you buy their malformed little fast pack add-on. :rolleyes:

Oh, those dipwads... that's utter bs. They don't include any of the weapons with the normal kit.. they all come with the fast packs. Even the A/A missiles not used with the fast packs. <_<

Idiots.

I might get one eventually, but considering how many Yamato 1/60 kits I have already, I don't see much of a reason. Plus, you don't get any missiles at all unless you buy their malformed little fast pack add-on. :rolleyes:

Did people bitch when Hasegawa did it? Oh wait, they did lol

Edited by Duymon

Of course they did, but Hasegawa ALWAYS does that, with pretty much every aircraft. It's because they also have separate weapons packs that are meant to apply to pretty much every aircraft kit they produce, and it saves on tooling when you don't have to pack weapons into the same molds.

With the Hasegawa VF-1 kits, you couldn't transform them, so the fast pack versions came as separate releases. The VF-1 weapons sets came with all the weapons, and applied to any release (though cheaping out and only including pilots with those sets was lousy).

This is more "We don't want you to be able to do anything fun unless you buy the extras," similar to the VF-171 wing hardpoint shenanigans. Not only are they not including any standard weapons besides the gunpod with the normal kit, but they're throwing in the atmospheric fighter weapons with the fast pack add-on, when they have nothing to do with each other. I bet you the hardpointed wings only come with the fast packs, too.

And on top of that the fast packs are fugly. Makes me think they're aware of this, and are packing all the missiles with them to see if they can force people to buy them anyway. :p

Edited by Chronocidal