All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Well, I expected something more like Ps3/Ps Vita games, like Macross 30: Voices across the Galaxy, Macross: My Boyfriend is a Pilot 2012 or Macross Delta Scramble.
Now a side-scrolling, although welcome I found it a little disappointing (nothing against it, even more so because I really liked the one by Nes).

Well, I'll play before my final verdict. I think it might surprise me.

2 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I think I'm far more interested in seeing Macross mods for Ace Combat than anything like that.  That looks like a cheap mobile game.

Maybe someone will get a good Macross 30 port to the PC via emulation, and do a fan translation.

Last week, I went back to playing Robotech: Battlecry on my old GameCube. The game is good, not as much as Macross on Ps2, but it's fun (at least it's better than Invasion)

On 7/4/2023 at 3:34 PM, Old_Nash_II said:

Last week, I went back to playing Robotech: Battlecry on my old GameCube. The game is good, not as much as Macross on Ps2, but it's fun (at least it's better than Invasion)

Yeah, Battlecry was a great looking and fun game for its time. Shame its follow up was a HALO wannabe that was probably too ahead of its time so modern graphics and tech could make a Cyclone themed game work today I think. 

I'll give FF16 a go when it comes to PC.  I barely touch the PS5, and when I do it's for consoles.  Pretty sure the last two things I played on it were GT7 and GoW Ragnarok, and that'll probably be it until Spider-Man 2.

was playing Diablo IV, and I think I'm about done with Act III.  But my tabletop group started talking about playing Shadowrun 6e (protip: don't, play Shadowrun Anarchy instead).  I was sort of vaguely aware that the setting is a bit like Cyberpunk but with a bit of fantasy tossed in, but to get a better feel for it I decided to play Shadowrun Returns, and it turned out to be so good that I haven't touched Diablo since installing Shadowrun Returns.  I finished it this evening, though, so now the question is whether I go back and finish Diablo IV or if I jump straight into Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

4 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I'll give FF16 a go when it comes to PC.  I barely touch the PS5, and when I do it's for consoles.  Pretty sure the last two things I played on it were GT7 and GoW Ragnarok, and that'll probably be it until Spider-Man 2.

was playing Diablo IV, and I think I'm about done with Act III.  But my tabletop group started talking about playing Shadowrun 6e (protip: don't, play Shadowrun Anarchy instead).  I was sort of vaguely aware that the setting is a bit like Cyberpunk but with a bit of fantasy tossed in, but to get a better feel for it I decided to play Shadowrun Returns, and it turned out to be so good that I haven't touched Diablo since installing Shadowrun Returns.  I finished it this evening, though, so now the question is whether I go back and finish Diablo IV or if I jump straight into Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

How about playing the SNES Shadowrun game in the meantime, while deciding what to do next. ^_^

My buddy Rex has been playing FFXVI and, meh. It looks like a fun enough character action game, a Devil May Cry Lite, but it really isn't an RPG. It's an RPG like Gotham Knights or the new God of Wars are, there's numbers, but they are mostly trivial, you put on the highest numbered thing then beat stuff up, not much strategy or thinking, I saw him using fire magic on a fire enemy and I noped out. At $30 I'll give the game a try as a generic, medevil fantasy action slasher, but it aint a $70 Final Fantasy game to me. It looks like a new IP based on the newest DMC guest-starring stuff from Final Fantasy, I'm not feeling it and if this is the direction mainline Final Fantasy will be taking then I'm probably done with the series, I liked them when they were actual strategic RPGs, not this DMC wannabe nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

My buddy Rex has been playing FFXVI and, meh. It looks like a fun enough character action game, a Devil May Cry Lite, but it really isn't an RPG. It's an RPG like Gotham Knights or the new God of Wars are, there's numbers, but they are mostly trivial, you put on the highest numbered thing then beat stuff up, not much strategy or thinking, I saw him using fire magic on a fire enemy and I noped out. At $30 I'll give the game a try as a generic, medevil fantasy action slasher, but it aint a $70 Final Fantasy game to me. It looks like a new IP based on the newest DMC guest-starring stuff from Final Fantasy, I'm not feeling it and if this is the direction mainline Final Fantasy will be taking then I'm probably done with the series, I liked them when they were actual strategic RPGs, not this DMC wannabe nonsense. 

There's been more and more rumblings about SE remastering or remaking some of its older titles (beyond what they've already released or announced). Outside of DQ12, that's where my real interest lies with their games.

Edited by Duke Togo

28 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

There's been more and more rumblings about SE remastering or remaking some of its older titles (beyond what they've already released or announced). Outside of DQ12, that's where my real interest lies with their games.

If they do a classic FF, like number 6 or 4, and remake it to look like, say, Octopath Traveler 2, I'd be so completely in. If they want their mainline series to devolve into action based non-RPGs so be it, I'll vote with my wallet and not buy them, but they really need to cater to the RPG fans and have some series run alongside the mainline series that are actual RPG games. 

1 hour ago, Duke Togo said:

There's been more and more rumblings about SE remastering or remaking some of its older titles (beyond what they've already released or announced).

Yeah, but what kind of remastering?  I mean, the Final Fantasy VII remake was entertaining enough, but it was doing the "I'm an action game now" thing before FFXVI came along.

It's like I said to a friend the other day, Dragon Quest > Final Fantasy.  Super stoked for that Dragon Quest III remake as well as Dragon Quest XII, but I'd love to see all of the mainline games prior to XI get a modern release (on PC, preferably). 

40 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

If they do a classic FF, like number 6 or 4, and remake it to look like, say, Octopath Traveler 2, I'd be so completely in. If they want their mainline series to devolve into action based non-RPGs so be it, I'll vote with my wallet and not buy them, but they really need to cater to the RPG fans and have some series run alongside the mainline series that are actual RPG games. 

They've already done them as Pixel Remasters just last year or so, so don't count of them getting the "2D HD" treatment they've been experimenting with anytime soon. There is word of a FF9 remake, though if it's in line with FF7R, that'll be a no thanks from me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing Exoprimal right now on Gamepass and honestly, it's really fun, it's a great Gamepass game. Capcom did pretty well, solid gunplay, progression is fine, lots of customization. I usually find anything PvP to be a drag, but you can opt out of PvP for the most part, the PvE is really fun, I can see myself sinking quite a few hours in, leveling up several different suits and grinding out currency for mod upgrades and cosmetics. 

Anyone playing Baldur's Gate 3?  I mean, given the sales numbers, it seems like a statistical probability.

I bought it at launch, but I'd been too busy to play it today.  Only about three hours in, playing a warlock.  Digging it so far.

• 2 weeks later...

is this a good franchise? anyone heard of it?

Pre-orders for the game opened today in Japan. It will be available in the following editions:

Physical Standard Edition (5,280 yen)

Base game

MACROSS: Do You Remember Love? stages, characters, music, and aircraft

Weiβ Schwarz PR card

Physical Limited Edition (7,678 yen)

Base game

Packaging illustrated by The Super Dimension Fortress MACROSS character design Haruhiko Mikimoto

Acrylic card

Game-original special booklet

Weiβ Schwarz PR card

Digital Standard Edition (3,960 yen)

Base game

Downloadable Content (1,320 yen)

The English and Japanese official websites for MACROSS: Shooting Insight also opened today. The Japanese website contains a key visual that includes Lynn Minmay from MACROSS: Do You Remember Love?, while the English website’s key visual does not. At this point, it is unclear what this means.

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/08/macross-shooting-insight-physical-edition-includes-macross-do-you-remember-love-content

Edited by davidwhangchoi

6 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

I've definitely heard good things about Macross before.

6 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

The English and Japanese official websites for MACROSS: Shooting Insight also opened today. The Japanese website contains a key visual that includes Lynn Minmay from MACROSS: Do You Remember Love?, while the English website’s key visual does not. At this point, it is unclear what this means.

The "featured series" and "characters" sections differ too, with the english site omitting the DYRL logo from the former, and Hikaru and Minmay from the latter.

I don't know for sure what it means other than "Harmony Gold is back on the menu". (If it is their fault, at least it's within the actual scope of their license for once.)

My Starfield for Series X arrives early today, I'm pretty hyped, Bethesda+space really does it for me. I'm a little worried the day 1 patch won't be out until closer to the 1st, but the early leaked footage looked surprisingly stable and bug free, either way I'm excited to dive in tonight for as long as I can stay up, sleep is an optional objective...

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

I've definitely heard good things about Macross before.

The "featured series" and "characters" sections differ too, with the english site omitting the DYRL logo from the former, and Hikaru and Minmay from the latter.

I don't know for sure what it means other than "Harmony Gold is back on the menu". (If it is their fault, at least it's within the actual scope of their license for once.)

yeah it's funny/crazy.

Minmay getting erased from the English

13 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Pre-orders for the game opened today in Japan. It will be available in the following editions:

Base game

Weiβ Schwarz PR card

Base game

Packaging illustrated by The Super Dimension Fortress MACROSS character design Haruhiko Mikimoto

Acrylic card

Weiβ Schwarz PR card

Base game

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/08/macross-shooting-insight-physical-edition-includes-macross-do-you-remember-love-content

Heard it's a goofy franchise, but here are the preorder pages available at amz-jp (so far) for disc-versions (i think):

PS4 normal (5280y) : https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0CG9Q2TC1/

PS5 normal (4493y) : https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0CG9PBWBX/

PS5 LE (unknown) : https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0CG9M3BN2

Switch normal (5280y) : https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0CG9PWGTF/

Switch LE (7678y) https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0CG9P2WWX/

13 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Base game

Weiβ Schwarz PR card

Base game

Acrylic card

Weiβ Schwarz PR card

Base game

Can't wait for this, hopefully the Steam page populates soonish. As for the lack of DYRL? in the EN version, that is wholely on Harmony Gold's end. IF they allow that content to be added to the EN version it would be nice. But I highly doubt it. 

The fact that the DYRL? content is a DLC is a smart move on the developers' end. Save a lot a trouble for having the region specific content.

1 hour ago, Focslain said:

Can't wait for this, hopefully the Steam page populates soonish. As for the lack of DYRL? in the EN version, that is wholely on Harmony Gold's end. IF they allow that content to be added to the EN version it would be nice. But I highly doubt it. 

The fact that the DYRL? content is a DLC is a smart move on the developers' end. Save a lot a trouble for having the region specific content.

I hope they are in the JPN version of game, and not in dlc like US version

2 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

yeah it's funny/crazy.

Minmay getting erased from the English

So if this is how BW is appeasing HG....then how will there be other post-SDFM-DYRL media releases that reference anything SDFM?

Macross Plus has the SDF-1 playing a key role at the end of the series....

Macross Zero has Roy Focker....

Macross II also has the SDF-1 playing a key role in its silly plot....

M7....has Max, Millia, Exedol....plus the VF-1J among other SDFM specific "IP"....

Macross F and Delta also have SDFM mechs and characters...

How stupid (or smart?) is HG going to get with it licensing claims?