The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Nope, but you you're still wrong. IT is part of G1 if it's Japanese or not.

It's not 1.5, or 2. And it's not anything else and that's how it's official branded.

Plus it has characters from the American G1 cartoon.

Not to mention the toy concepts were concepts used in G1 toys, packaging, and marketing.

Edited by Gakken85

Wrong and wrong.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Generation_1_%28franchise%29

In Japan, rather than simply be identified as The Transformers throughout its lifespan, the franchise was rebranded with a new title and a shift in storytelling every year. This led to a collection of mini-franchises within the larger Generation 1 franchise, each featuring their own individual components. They are:

oh god...the "what's g1 argument" again?

It depends who you talk to. americans...g1 ended with "the rebirth" aka season 4...a 3 part episode. japanese g1 is it own thing where they pretend rebirth never happened and do their own thing from there. its "g1" to THEM, not to US. We matter more because transformers is american....hasbro / marvel invented them. they were just diacones before hasbro gave them life. lol. So if you're talking to an american (or anyone outside of japan)..g1 ended at the rebirth and that other stuff never happened. if you are tlaking to a japanese then yes that might be their canon. outside of japan though? g1 ended with the rebirth.

Arguing continuity in Transformers is almost as pointless as trying to argue scale in Transformers. It's a transforming robot from an 80's cartoon show, that's all that really matters.

...And that Rumble is Red and Frenzy is blue. That matters too. :p

...And that Rumble is Red and Frenzy is blue. That matters too. :p

Had to go and ruin a sensible post about the futility of continuity in Transformers by being totally wrong, didn't you.

The wrong name being on the toy's packaging is easier to believe than Soundwave calling his own tape-guy the wrong thing for 50+ episodes. Rumble is blue, Frenzy is red.

The idea of G1 is an abstract concept, but it is definable. And it's not really continuity per say in terms of story, but in terms of an Era. It was created after the fact and I think just applying it to the American cartoon doesn't make a lot of sense.

You can say these toys and shows are G2 and those over there are not with a fair level of certainty. It's more about classification and marketing.

Saying that this character did this in American G1 but then he could do that in godmasterforce.... not so easy. Which is more what continuity is all about.

Edited by Gakken85

I don't care if this is G1 or not because it is awesome. I hope E-Hobby announces a black version soon otherwise I might end up preordering the regular version that . I would prefer the black one because it fits to my MP-10B. :)

The idea of G1 is an abstract concept, but it is definable. And it's not really continuity per say in terms of story, but in terms of an Era. It was created after the fact and I think just applying it to the American cartoon doesn't make a lot of sense.

You can say these toys and show are G2 and these are not with a fair level of certainty. It's more about classification and marketing.

Saying that this character did this in American G1 but then he could do that in godmasterforce.... not so easy. Which is more what continuity is all about.

Sure, just like G1 Marvel differed from the US TV show, and both are different from what IDW is doing now, but all are considered G1.

Then I think you can say, without arguing if he's G1 or not, that Spacebrick hasn't been a part are US Transformers continuity until very recently, with his inclusion in the IDW-verse. And that's where the indifference comes from. I like Gundam because I watched basically every episode of every series. I like Transformers because I grew up watching the US G1 cartoon. Making a Transformer that looks sort of like a Gundam isn't going to sell me, though, if I've got zero attachment to the character. So again, it's not that we hate the original Spacebrick toy, the original Spacebrick character, or the fact that Spacebrick is getting an MP when most of us want MPs of other characters. I think we can all objectively look at MP Spacebrick and see that it'll probably be a solid figure, more in line with MP-10 and Soundwave than the Autobot cars or the Seekers. Some of us will buy it for that reason, and that reason only. But some of us are simply too indifferent to the character for it to be worth it in their minds.

Personally, I'm more in the latter. But, with "Spacebrick" sticking as a name, if he turned up at TRU in the US at a reasonable price and I had the money to burn, I might do it.

For me, I only care if it looks cool when it comes to TFs. All the better if it's from the movie or G1 cartoons but not a requirement. As a rule I don't buy TFs that transform into planes/pseudo-aircraft because they all look terrible to me. I'm only a fan of Transformer cars, robot dinosaurs, and 80s tapedecks :)

I did like Kawamori's take on the MP Seekers but I don't think I'll ever find one for the price I wanna pay.

Its funny. When I sold my Skywarp like a year ago they were only going about $120. Now they are $240 ish.

I guess when you don't constantly rehash molds and know it's not going to be printed the price goes up.

So...yeah.

Space Brick absolutely looks like the illegitimate child of a Gundam and Legioss/Tread.

And I'm gonna order (2 or more) just so I can turn around and sell one to Gakken (and Gakken only) for a ridiculously over-inflated price in a few years.

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

oh god...the "what's g1 argument" again?

It depends who you talk to. americans...g1 ended with "the rebirth" aka season 4...a 3 part episode. japanese g1 is it own thing where they pretend rebirth never happened and do their own thing from there. its "g1" to THEM, not to US. We matter more because transformers is american....hasbro / marvel invented them. they were just diacones before hasbro gave them life. lol. So if you're talking to an american (or anyone outside of japan)..g1 ended at the rebirth and that other stuff never happened. if you are tlaking to a japanese then yes that might be their canon. outside of japan though? g1 ended with the rebirth.

+1 either they are Japanese or not real fans of the original show.

sunbow/marvel=accepted

uk comics past marvel run, japanese= doesn't count.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Hahah. I'm already ordering 2! :p

You already know it won't be enough.

I still think Space Brick looks really neat, but not "like a Transformer".

And yes, I'm aware how silly this classification is, so don't try to point out the gaping flaws in my logic. I already know they're big enough to drive Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, and Motormaster through side-by-side.

Especially since I kinda want him IN SPITE of the "not-transformerness".

Edited by JB0

+1 either they are Japanese or not real fans of the original show.

sunbow/marvel=accepted

uk comics past marvel run, japanese= doesn't count.

G1, when referred to in the sense being needlessly discussed here, is a period more so than a continuity. It encases both the American show/comics, the Japanese shows and the UK comics. If you choose to subscribe to the idea that your particular G1 continuity ended with Rebirth, then that's fine. But, by definition as a period, G1 Includes everything, including the Japanese cartoons up until G2 started in 1993. But as a continuity, US G1 ended at Rebirth, but also incorporates Beast Wars and (unfortunately) Beast Machines. Edited by Silverstreak

Guest davidwhangchoi

G1, when referred to in the sense being needlessly discussed here, is a period more so than a continuity. It encases both the American show/comics, the Japanese shows and the UK comics. If you choose to subscribe to the idea that your particular G1 continuity ended with Rebirth, then that's fine. But, by definition as a period, G1 Includes everything, including the Japanese cartoons up until G2 started in 1993. But as a continuity, US G1 ended at Rebirth, but also incorporates Beast Wars and (unfortunately) Beast Machines.

let me ask this. did you watch the cartoon in 1984? what period were you born? that usually tells it all... usually those who watched the original show. that was it. period.

-Blue Cosmos

Yes. Grew up watching original airing of US cartoon. Am I being criticised for not being close-minded enough on the subject of G1 :p

What I'm describing isn't a radical concept. If all you want to accept in your G1 continuity is the US cartoon, that's ok. We have to reconcile it somehow. But saying that the Japanese continuity isn't G1 is wrong. It's just a different version of G1 ;)

Personally, I consider everything that happened until Generation 2 started shipping to be "Generation One"

Because that's the only reason we're even HAVING this discussion, Generation 2 provided a nice clean breakpoint.

Or not so clean, since G2 is, outside of the comics, almost entirely a repackaging of G1 ANYWAYS.

I have difficulty reconciling the idea of MODERN productions being "Generation One" products.

I felt like doing some charity work and decided to clear the store shelves of one more AOE High Octane Bumblebee.

No, seriously, it's a pretty cool toy. Thanks to the design know-how acquired from the many Bees that came before him, he's got a pretty solid design. Paint apps are painfully lacking when it comes to his metallic parts, but that's what my airbrush and compressor are for.

Hasbro has yet to make up its mind on whether to give its toys light piping or painted eyes. The back half of his head is clear, but his eyes are painted light blue. Thankfully, there's very little of that Cheetos yellow/orange on his "stealth mode" design, so I can repaint the parts with some Tamiya camel yellow.

YMMV, but as far as I'm concerned, he's likely the only AOE fig worth getting.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yes. Grew up watching original airing of US cartoon. Am I being criticised for not being close-minded enough on the subject of G1 :p

What I'm describing isn't a radical concept. If all you want to accept in your G1 continuity is the US cartoon, that's ok. We have to reconcile it somehow. But saying that the Japanese continuity isn't G1 is wrong. It's just a different version of G1 ;)

more like them taking g1, butchering it, making their own story from it and building on it.

japanese took out g1 season 4 and didn't acknowledge it, and they threw in their own version. that's fine. robotech can do that too. but it's not macross anymore.

jyp adapted their own version from the "original g1" show. no cared about what they did. it wasn't for us. did transformers go to Nebulan or not? is spike a head master?

the Macross II comparison is fair: it's Macross set in an alternate universe. but not recognized as canon but now sorta is recognized, mentioned in other macross series.

thats a shield.

No that's the nosecone of a plane that the designers couldn't hide in the transformation of the original toy so they said screw it and plopped it on his arm. Still not sure if I want space brick, maybe when we see color pics in a few months that will be enough to wow me into a pre order.