Hmm...one of you guys is going to have to get the 2199 model and do a side by side with the original one for me, lol...

thanks Kyp, for the details.

i'm still on the fence, though this has me intrigued "The ring itself is made of metal, and features the same action as in the anime. Additionally, the exit and re-entry hatch opens, and has a working launch catapult for the Cosmo Falcons."

if the ring and platforms rotate, that might just tip me to buy. given the scale, probably too much to expect that the fighters actually slide from platform to launch position, but maybe they'll be using magnets to pull it off. also wonder if they actually meant "working launch catapult" for the zeros rather than the falcons.

i really want RC turrets and was hoping for a combination of the best of the 1/350 and the GX in 1/500-1/700 scale. i got this a few months ago for about 16k yen, which shows that RC turrets are possible at 1/700 scale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=90-RrlaYhDQ#t=18s

so those turrets are even smaller than what's on the GX-57 which is at 1/625 IIRC.

Late July will see the release not only of chapter 6 in home video but also the Yamato and Yamato 2199 MV Series Blu-Ray/DVDs. For those who don't know what the MV Series was, in a nutshell, they're selected pieces of music set to edited animation clips, in essence, Music Videos (MV).
Here are some samples of what you will get in those releases. :)

Yamato 2199 - The Yamato Departs the Earth (OST 1)

The same theme from the Symphonic Suite Yamato, named Take Off

Yamato 2199 - Ambition (OST1) + Ambition (Ambitious Young Man) (OST 2)

Yamato Symphonic Suite - Hope for Tomorrow

Yamato MV Series and Yamato 2199 MV Series will be published July 24th. Check the video descriptions for more info. Edited by westfall

thanks Kyp, for the details.

i'm still on the fence, though this has me intrigued "The ring itself is made of metal, and features the same action as in the anime. Additionally, the exit and re-entry hatch opens, and has a working launch catapult for the Cosmo Falcons."

if the ring and platforms rotate, that might just tip me to buy. given the scale, probably too much to expect that the fighters actually slide from platform to launch position, but maybe they'll be using magnets to pull it off. also wonder if they actually meant "working launch catapult" for the zeros rather than the falcons.

i really want RC turrets and was hoping for a combination of the best of the 1/350 and the GX in 1/500-1/700 scale. i got this a few months ago for about 16k yen, which shows that RC turrets are possible at 1/700 scale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=90-RrlaYhDQ#t=18s

so those turrets are even smaller than what's on the GX-57 which is at 1/625 IIRC.

But if you look at this picture, and compare it to the GX-57, you'll see that the turrets are far better detailed, even with the smaller scale :

yamato2199_img014.jpg

-Kyp

I think there's going to be an announcement this weekend at Anime Expo concerning a US release. A month and half ago when the Yamato girl show hosts let it slip that the foreign title would be Starblazers 2199 they were warned not to say anything more until the foreign distributors were ready to make an announcement. Last show the Girls started discussing Starblazers 2199 again. :)

But if you look at this picture, and compare it to the GX-57, you'll see that the turrets are far better detailed, even with the smaller scale :

-Kyp

i'm not complaining about the detail in the new Yamato. what i meant to say was, that Tomy was able to make 1/700 turrets RC movable despite their tiny size, so Bandai should be able to do the same with the presumably bigger (and more detailed) turrets in the new Yamato toy. that is, if they choose to do it. at 27k yen, i'm hoping they would. heck, i'm willing to pay even more for that.

I seriously doubt that they will have that kind of feature in a production run like that, for one thing, they probably wouldn't have the room with all the other electronics and such that are already inside it. Also, the 27,000 yen price is the MSRP, not necessarily what places like AmiAmi and others will have their pre orders for. ;)

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

well, one can hope. i think though that what would keep Bandai from doing it would either be pricing/margin or they're reserving it for a 1/350 renewal, rather than technical feasibility.

the Tomy Yamato i linked to was a mass-produced run. aside from the motors and electronics for the turrets it also had motors for the rotating radar tower, different sound effects for the main and secondary guns and horns, and several drive motors and wheels for locomotion. all that in half a hull (ie. waterline). granted it didn't have a wave motion gun, but that's just a few leds and chips.

but anyway, who am i kidding? i'll probably end up getting this new Yamato regardless.

At the time, I thought the GX-57's sculpt was the King, but, since Yamato 2199, it's now taken 2nd place :

21251.jpg

1281.jpg

The only thing I'm worried about is if they go with that stupid hull seam weathering, it wouldn't be bad, but the QC on that was spotty at best. I'd rather they left it off and left it up to the end user.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

The theatre exclusive Blu-Ray release seems to have suffered a delay. Instead of being sold at theatres at the time of release, it'll be sent by mail to those who attend the theatre sessions and present a ticket (much like they did with volume 2, though that was due to an error in the discs themselves). This may be a consequence of a faster release schedule or just a way to keep the final episodes from coming out too far ahead of the TV broadcast, which at that time, will be almost catching up. The retail release has also been postponed from September 25th to October 25th.

Edited by westfall

The theatre exclusive Blu-Ray release seems to have suffered a delay. Instead of being sold at theatres at the time of release, it'll be sent by mail to those who attend the theatre sessions and present a ticket (much like they did with volume 2, though that was due to an error in the discs themselves). This may be a consequence of a faster release schedule or just a way to keep the final episodes from coming out too far ahead of the TV broadcast, which at that time, will be almost catching up. The retail release has also been postponed from September 25th to October 25th.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (unless there's a pretty box to house the whole series...)

Edited by Keith

http://yamato2199.net/index.html#vol07_apology

It's funny- based on the increased number of animation errors in episode 22, it was obvious that time restraints were affecting the end of the show and I mentioned to a friend just last week that Id far prefer it if they focused on using every last minute up until the Theatrical screening on getting the animation of the final episodes as good as possible, even if it meant delaying the bluray. As they say, be careful what you wish for ... f^_^;)

In other related news:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-07-07/star-blazers/yamato-2199-no.1-english-dub-shown-at-anime-expo

According to eyewitness accounts, they dubbed the sailors song....oh dear.....

YAY, GO THE *ARGO* FFS!!!!!!

Seriously, I didn't ever need to hear the Yamato called *that* again. Very distracting.......

Don't need to hear the name "Derek Wildstar" either...

I just got the first 3 volumes of this series and I cannot believe it's taken me this long to pick it up. The visual quality of this is awesome. A lot of love went into it for sure.

I watched Star Blazers so long ago that I only remember bits and pieces, but I feel that i follows the original story closely, am I wrong?

Only problem is that these japanese BD's are going to bankrupt me. If the mrs. ever did the currency conversion on those japanese postal receipts I'd be in a world of pain for sure.

I just got the first 3 volumes of this series and I cannot believe it's taken me this long to pick it up. The visual quality of this is awesome. A lot of love went into it for sure.

I watched Star Blazers so long ago that I only remember bits and pieces, but I feel that i follows the original story closely, am I wrong?

Only problem is that these japanese BD's are going to bankrupt me. If the mrs. ever did the currency conversion on those japanese postal receipts I'd be in a world of pain for sure.

It is very faithful to the original, even going so far as to include the sound effects/design and music from the original, which was a smart move. You've obviously taken note of the modernized animation and design as well; I love the looks of the characters, Yuki/Nova especially, and the added bonus of additional female crewmembers (including a fat chick, lol) was a great idea. They say the Yamato itself looks better than ever, although asides from the wave-gun and some detailing on the hull it's lost on me. The story maintains the same quest to Iscandar, but there are various sub plots along the way, such as relationships with the crew, a rebel faction in the Gamilas empire, and all other sorts of intrigue that clearly separate it from the original.

THIS is how a reboot is done; hollywierd and anyone else looking to re-hash an oldie but goodie needs to watch classic and modern Yamato and go from there...

Edited by myk

The hilarious thing is this is the original Japanese company doing this! They fired the American in charge that showed more respect to the series origin than they do. :p

So does that mean we will get an unedited true translation under a Starblazer label or a North Americanized hack job?

So does that mean we will get an unedited true translation under a Starblazer label or a North Americanized hack job?

I sure hope for an unadulterated version presented in both dubbed and subbed forms; after all, this is not the late 1970s. The thing is, I believe/fear that they'll work under the assumption that, in order to maintain fidelity (ironic, isn't it?) to the old Starblazers, they'll alter names and content to suit what they think the audience wants, never considering that said audience, old and new, has grown beyond the old cultural limitations.

Edited by mechaninac

I don't think we have to worry too much, the original Yamato / Star Blazers did a great job for the time. They got rid of most of the on-screen death and renamed the ship - other then that it was kept intact. Looks like they are re-using the name changes (I can live with that), most likely they will not chop out anything this time - I take that from the Yamato 3 dub where they kept that in (I think, I couldn't watch past the first episode or two, the VAs were that bad)

The hilarious thing is this is the original Japanese company doing this! They fired the American in charge that showed more respect to the series origin than they do. :p

That is funny in a dangerous Twilight Zone way. However, I addressed this in another thread. those of us who've moved on are already importing the Blu-rays direct and carrying that first expense. Anyone else who likes the show, and I admit I had to be reminded of this, probably knows it by the name Star Blazers instead of Space Battleship Yamato.

I think if the show is the same and only a few names change, then that's not a bad thing.

I picked up the 5 Blu-rays for a friend off Amazon Japan and we've been watching them off and on over the past few weeks. The visuals are incredible, but the pacing is really poor. Considering they take over half the episodes to go less than 100 days and do a lot of off-beat character stories, I can only imagine how crammed the remainder of the two discs will be to try and wrap up.

Then, watching the commercials for the Blu-Ray release of the original series, they look like animated storyboards of 2199 by comparison!

Mag Garden has updated the Earth Art Book page with images of what the book will look like inside. Prepare to be blown away, it looks amazing. :D

http://www.mag-garden.co.jp/yamato2199books/main-2-2.html

Wow! That's great, where can I get this art book? When is it coming out?