At this point, Star Blazers has insignificant name recognition. There's absolutely no reason to keep the name active.

Can't wait to get home and watch vol 5.

Maybe they're trying to target it towards adults that watched the show as kids in the 70s. I have quite a few friends that aren't anime fans who only know the series as Star Blazers and have no clue of its original name, even if it is mentioned in the credits of Star Blazers.

At this point, Star Blazers has insignificant name recognition. There's absolutely no reason to keep the name active.

Can't wait to get home and watch vol 5.

I know a number of people that watched SB as kids who had no idea it was Yamato in Japan. The fact that they no longer watch anime of any kind and will probably never even know that 2199 is released probably backs up your point though... Realistically the only people who are going to care about Star Blazers 2199 are those who know of the Yamato origin of the show.

I just finished watching Episode 15. Awesome does not begin to describe it. :D

I thought I would be glad to finally get my wish: that the Yamato would actually get its butt handed to it and get some damage for once, but I didn't expect it to get hit THAT hard; that was a rough battle, and it isn't over yet. Now, considering that 2199 is emphasizing much more "realism" than the original Yamato, will they be able to fix the heavy damage and have it back to normal in the next episodes as they did in the original?

Lotsa' hot Yuki poses to take soothe the pain, though...

I thought I would be glad to finally get my wish: that the Yamato would actually get its butt handed to it and get some damage for once, but I didn't expect it to get hit THAT hard; that was a rough battle, and it isn't over yet. Now, considering that 2199 is emphasizing much more "realism" than the original Yamato, will they be able to fix the heavy damage and have it back to normal in the next episodes as they did in the original?

Lotsa' hot Yuki poses to take soothe the pain, though...

They're hard at work repairing the damage in the following episode but the most serious damage remains a while longer, especially that fender bender damage in the hull from scrapping the Domelaze.

They're hard at work repairing the damage in the following episode but the most serious damage remains a while longer, especially that fender bender damage in the hull from scrapping the Domelaze.

I see. Well I hope they repair that main gun battery-that's quite a loss to be sure...

Now, here's something that I completely missed: Mega House is reissuing the 1/8 Yamato Girls Collection PVC Yuki Mori yellow jumpsuit version figure for an August release; preorders went up and sold out everywhere already... :(

Getting this figure at retail or less is like trying to get a Bandai Macross Frontier DX at MSRP... crazy!

Wow really? Is Yuki one of the hottest figures to hit the market recently or what?

Edit: Gotta give thanks again to MW member Major Focker for letting me know that HLJ got a restock on her a few weeks ago that sold out in minutes; I've got my Yuki!

Edited by myk

I just finished watching the awesome that was chapter 5.

I was pretty surprised to see that

Goer was actually loyal to Desslar. Despite the fact that he always seemed to be a sniveling opportunist, I was impressed that he actually pulled the trigger and killed Zoellik for being a traitor. Goer may not be at all likable, but he did earn a bit of respect for what he did in the last episode.

Episode 18 also had me a bit worried

that Shinohara was going to be killed of. When I initially saw the scene in the preview, I mistakenly took his re-entry into the warp gate as his fighter exploding. It wasn't until I saw the gates being used at other times that it was the normal effect of entering the gate.

FYI...you can get Volume 6 from Amazon Japan for 5,770 yen right now.

Lowest price in town folks.

:)

What the hell? What about the other volumes?

where can i order this? i'm a sucker for clear versions.

AFAIK its not going to be available anywhere other than at cinemas. Some will no doubt pop up on auction soon after opening day though.

What the hell? What about the other volumes?

Standard preorder discounts. Has happened for every volume to date prior to release. I keep telling people this but all they do is cover their ears and shout 'NO, NO ITS STILL TOO EXPENSIVE!' :rolleyes:

I'd like to know if they'll be selling the box that's coming with the special edition box set.

I mean...come on Yamato fans...I've been loyal...where am I supposed to store these BD's?

AFAIK its not going to be available anywhere other than at cinemas. Some will no doubt pop up on auction soon after opening day though.

Standard preorder discounts. Has happened for every volume to date prior to release. I keep telling people this but all they do is cover their ears and shout 'NO, NO ITS STILL TOO EXPENSIVE!' :rolleyes:

So it's what-$60? Shipping's probably another $15 or so. Hmm...Well, it's better than the prices on ebay but like others here I can only hope a stateside release becomes a reality...

Bleh. Instead of using the wave gun to get out of every mess, not unlike Star Trek 2's miracle blood, why can't they just have Yuki sing some songs over a broadcast to stun the Gamilas into defeat or something; I don't think anyone's ever tried that before...

lol! that could work

kidding aside, i thought this recent use of the wave motion gun was a good demonstration of tactics rather than a wipe 'em all out secret weapon cop out. i doubt if the WMG would've made any difference without that brilliant tactic. i'm now wondering though what's the techno mumbo-jumbo for how the gravity anchors work.

started re-watching vol4 and pleasantly surprised that a number of clues were present to foreshadow events in vol5. a knowing look here, a discreet report there...

really curious who Dessler was talking to on the hotline.

now i think i need to re-watch Melda's exam and the onsen scene a few more times just in case i missed some clues ;)

Yeah, Goer impressed me at that moment too. I really am enjoying his character, (the animators clearly love him too, such movement and extreme gestures) but I am also enjoying the overall Gamilon Empire goings ons. Spent all of episode 16 going "But I want to know what is going on back on Gamilon!!" I didn't think that anything could top the fight in episode 15, but the battle at the end of 18 was OUTSTANDING. It was pretty predictable but fantastically played out. What an awesome beast this entire series is!!

Goer was actually loyal to Desslar. Despite the fact that he always seemed to be a sniveling opportunist, I was impressed that he actually pulled the trigger and killed Zoellik for being a traitor. Goer may not be at all likable, but he did earn a bit of respect for what he did in the last episode.

now we know where the seagull docks

We have seen that in chapter 4. That hanger uses the same system to launch and retrieve its craft. What we haven't seen until now is how they recover either the Zero's or the Falcons. Maybe during the massive battle that is coming in episodes 19 and 20... Have you noticed that the Falcons have not been used for actual combat since episode 6? Except for Yamamoto's unauthorized launch in episode 11, they've been nicely packed in their hangar.

Episode 18 also had me a bit worried

that Shinohara was going to be killed of. When I initially saw the scene in the preview, I mistakenly took his re-entry into the warp gate as his fighter exploding. It wasn't until I saw the gates being used at other times that it was the normal effect of entering the gate.

Loved Sado's bit in that scene. Priceless. As for Goer, he was either loyal to Desler or, seing that Zoellik was about to be taken down, he decided to cut his losses and shoot his benefactor just to gain favor with Desler. Although, from his reaction to the news of Desler's death, even though he is a weasel, i'd bet my money on the first option.

lol! that could work

kidding aside, i thought this recent use of the wave motion gun was a good demonstration of tactics rather than a wipe 'em all out secret weapon cop out. i doubt if the WMG would've made any difference without that brilliant tactic. i'm now wondering though what's the techno mumbo-jumbo for how the gravity anchors work.

started re-watching vol4 and pleasantly surprised that a number of clues were present to foreshadow events in vol5. a knowing look here, a discreet report there...

now i think i need to re-watch Melda's exam and the onsen scene a few more times just in case i missed some clues ;)

I rewatch the whole thing after each new volume. You end up seing thing in a very different perspective. A fine example, in episode 4, when Sanada is saluting the Yukikaze, old time fans knew his motivation, but now those that haven't seen the original, know too. But what really gains a new significance in that scene is Niimi standing in the back. Before, i thought she was just hovering over her beloved sensei...but after episode 17...well, there's a whole new reason for her to be there. And this is true for many other things along the previous releases, from Ito's actions to Hoshina's, the whole auto-pilot room thing... so many layers that begin to shine with every new episode...

That's what makes this an awesome show. :)

Edited by westfall

We have seen that in chapter 4. That hanger uses the same system to launch and retrieve its craft. What we haven't seen until now is how they recover either the Zero's or the Falcons. Maybe during the massive battle that is coming in episodes 19 and 20... Have you noticed that the Falcons have not been used for actual combat since episode 6? Except for Yamamoto's unauthorized launch in episode 11, they've been nicely packed in their hangar.

you're right. i forgot about it.

not deploying the Falcons in the recent engagements is quite understandable given what they were up against. outside of the protection of the shield, they would've been swatted like flies.

the layering and foreshadowing are truly well done and make re-watching past episodes a rewarding experience.

you're right. i forgot about it.

not deploying the Falcons in the recent engagements is quite understandable given what they were up against. outside of the protection of the shield, they would've been swatted like flies.

the layering and foreshadowing are truly well done and make re-watching past episodes a rewarding experience.

They're lucky Okita took command when he did, in episode 15, as he rescinded the launch order, realizing that would happen if they tried to launch them. Love that Okita calls them Hayabusa. Nice historical reference, there. :D

lol! that could work

I just didn't want the WMG to become the "Form blazing sword!" of Yamato 2199, but thinking about it again, if they follow the original Yamato story then we all know the drill missile rape is coming up and that'll be the last opportunity to use that weapon until (if) they reach Iscandar.

I will say I was quite disappointed with the bout of mutiny on the Yamato. I was hoping that the episode would be similar to the instance of mutiny in the "new" Battlestar Galactica a few years ago. I wonder how they're handling the mutinous crewmembers, if at all?

I just didn't want the WMG to become the "Form blazing sword!" of Yamato 2199, but thinking about it again, if they follow the original Yamato story then we all know the drill missile rape is coming up and that'll be the last opportunity to use that weapon until (if) they reach Iscandar.

. Don't forget that they use it when trapped on Gamilon to blow up the underwater volcano thingys.......

. Don't forget that they use it when trapped on Gamilon to blow up the underwater volcano thingys.......

OOOooo yeah...Forgot about that one...

Yuki colour variations confirmed.

Also, figures for Makoto and Niimi are next.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks for the news. I'm definitely interested in a Niimi figure. I'd be all over Makoto but I HATE her hairdo...

GAH!! Still waiting for mine to arrive from Amazon.jp. You guys keep posting the hidden spoilers and I'm dying to read them!!

Arrive already, damn it!! Lol!

Chris