Another splendid volume. Just some thoughts on episode 20:

*I was disappointed that they went with the "Star Trek" method of putting main characters into the heat of battle; for example, 2199 goes out of its way to be more "realistic" than the original Space Cruiser, so the idea of Kodai running out to take care of a security issue in the middle of a heated battle is just silly. I understand they had to do that, but it's silly.

*Another instance of putting characters into the middle of the action was with Yuki; she's supposed to be the senior 'Ops officer, and in a battle like THAT one there's no reason why she'd be wandering around the decks. I will say this though, I totally dig the hot brunette that took her place, and I can only hope that they'll make a figure for her, although it's doubtful.

*As I said before, 2199 tries to stay faithful to the original series, but I wish they hadn't followed the stupidity of the original when it came to the deployment of the fighter groups; no one would deploy all of their fighters at once to go chase after some distant target. Additionally, you wouldn't leave just ONE fighter to fly a CAP. What's her face should've had a wing-person of sorts. Shoot them down, whatever, if you want to prove how bad-ass she is, but making it as improbable as her flying solo while the rest of the fighter group chases decoys is nonsense.

*Domel giving in to his "arrogance" and dooming himself by chasing after the Yamato doesn't sit well with me. IMO that's completely out of character for him; up to this point he's been a cool, calm, straight faced and tight-lipped individual who was so blinded by his sense of duty he didn't even try to defend himself against false-imprisonment by the empire he loved, but suddenly in the Rainbow Cluster he goes all "Kamjin" on us, with never-before-seen crazy faces as he chases his obsession?

*Ok, I'm probably the biggest pervert on the planet but c'mon already; ENOUGH with the freaking swollen, puffed out camel-toe shots on all of the girls!

Don't misunderstand me, I love this series from the first episode all the way up to #22. Episode 20 is probably the first time I've been on the edge of my seat and gripping the armrests since the apartment battle in "The Kingdom" or the final battle of 'Private Ryan; I'm just being picky because this show is just shy of perfect...

Edited by myk

Yup, my art book is on the way too. Also saw the Garmilla book is available for pre-order too.

Chris

Where is the Garmilla book available for pre-order? It doesn't seem to be up on HLJ yet, and the Earth book I got from Amazon.jp cost 3,000Y just for shipping - argh. It's an amazing book though! I'm pouring over every page, its fantastic for mecha fans and I highly recommend it.

Don't use Amazon Japan or Ami for print media.

As wm cheng said they charged 3000 yen, ami's was even more expensive.

Better to with HLJ as their Asking price for

FedEx 2-4 day was around 1500 yen.

Yeah, I noticed that too...the shipping. Still waiting for it to arrive from Amazon.jp. That's where I saw the Garmilla book for preorder. Wasn't aware HLJ carried it. I'll have to cancel with amazon.jp

Chris

Thanks, I couldn't find it on HLJ (sold out for the Earth one and couldn't find a pre-order for the Gamillas)... could you show me the link?

This book got me excited enough to re-attempt a new Bandai 1/72 Comso Zero after my previous attempt went down in flames. Funny how many mistakes I avoid and how much faster its going, I should build all my models twice! :wacko: NOT!!!

I only found it on Amazon.jp no release date yet. I'll just watch for it on HLJ as A.jp is pricey on shipping, as you know. ;)

I'd love to see how your Zero would look. I found the second one I built went much smoother. Still have 2 more to build! Lol!

Chris

Edit: OK this is strange the link I keep posting to the book at Amazon.jp keeps getting dropped out of my post. Never had that happen before. Well since the board won't let me post the link (for some reason) just find the earth book on A.jp and there is a link to the Garmilla book in the earth book listing. The part that has the buy both together option. No images of it yet.

Edited by Dobber

Thanks, I couldn't find it on HLJ (sold out for the Earth one and couldn't find a pre-order for the Gamillas)... could you show me the link?

This book got me excited enough to re-attempt a new Bandai 1/72 Comso Zero after my previous attempt went down in flames. Funny how many mistakes I avoid and how much faster its going, I should build all my models twice! :wacko: NOT!!!

What happen to your previous attempt at the Cosmo Zero?

Megahouse Akira Yamamoto pushed back to September. :(

Well, now I can have all my amiami orders ship in one box. :rolleyes: (actually I'm kind of worried about that, everything I have on pre-order is sold out so I'm concerned they my decide to be a bunch of dicks and sell one or more of my figures from under me if they don't all come out on the same day :unsure: ).

Another splendid volume. Just some thoughts on episode 20:

*Domel giving in to his "arrogance" and dooming himself by chasing after the Yamato doesn't sit well with me. IMO that's completely out of character for him; up to this point he's been a cool, calm, straight faced and tight-lipped individual who was so blinded by his sense of duty he didn't even try to defend himself against false-imprisonment by the empire he loved, but suddenly in the Rainbow Cluster he goes all "Kamjin" on us, with never-before-seen crazy faces as he chases his obsession?

I think that he got so excited during this battle that all the blood went from his brain to *another* part of his body, hence the rash decisions.....

Edited by taksraven

What happen to your previous attempt at the Cosmo Zero?

The sad story... http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=35120&p=1052354

Although, this time around, I got a package of Flory Pro-modellers wash which I will try out.

This series, man it's good, ep. 17,

had Sanada almost making me shed manly tears with his near death experience and abundant use of poetry and flashbacks.

Edited by Marzan

As far as i'm concerned the only major flaw in episode 20 is the "missing artifact", midway through the episode. XD The rest i chuck to the story putting the characters where they have to be to better serve it. :) A bit silly, at times? Perhaps. But awesome just the same. Also, BEST COSMO ZERO LAUNCH EVER!!! :D

Ha! Nice catch.

I received disc 6 on Friday and watched the episodes over the weekend. Without going into detail, I liked the changes. And now I'm wondering if this new version of Yamato will end like the original? The last disc cannot come soon enough!

Edited by technoblue

I think that he got so excited during this battle that all the blood went from his brain to *another* part of his body, hence the rash decisions.....

I would also say in his defense that 2199 faces an inherant problem: the attempt to flesh out the original, simplistic story but on a VERY fast pace; as much as they've shown of Domel and the other characters we haven't gotten much time to really know them as well. Who isn't to say that there's something about Domel's past that would encourage him to act irrationally, impulsively.

Again, splendid series though. I put 2199 right up there with the best reboots of all time, animated or otherwise...

Again, splendid series though. I put 2199 right up there with the best reboots of all time, animated or otherwise...

Very easily fits into that category. What I am really impressed with has been the "new" story elements, episodes and characters. Episodes like 18 in particular which do not happen in the original version but have still been outstanding. Can't quite tell where they are going with the Iscandar sisters and Yuki being captured but everything has been done so well so far that I have faith in the production team. Yes, pacing is a problem, but I can live with that.....

Got my volume 6 and got to episode 20 and this show is as good as ever. I agree with the posts above, this is one of the best reboots ever done.

This volume has sold 26,000 BD's in the first 2 weeks. Does anyone know if that is considered a success? I'm hoping that the people who made this make a profit. They deserve it.

Very easily fits into that category. What I am really impressed with has been the "new" story elements, episodes and characters. Episodes like 18 in particular which do not happen in the original version but have still been outstanding. Can't quite tell where they are going with the Iscandar sisters and Yuki being captured but everything has been done so well so far that I have faith in the production team. Yes, pacing is a problem, but I can live with that.....

Yeah I can't even hazard a guess as to what they're going to pull with the whole Iscandar sister/Yuki story angle. Unlike the original series, Gamilas is a thriving empire; what do they want or need from Iscandar? I would've imagined that the Iscandarians would've been taken as comfort slaves unless there's something going on behind the scenes that we have yet to see.

Definitely. I also wonder if success for this series would allow a reboot of Space Battleship Yamato II?

Are you refering to the "Comet Empire" series?

Iscandar in this series seems to be the Yamato equivilent of the Protoculture. So likely, Desslar hasn't directly attacked out of respect, political backlash, or fear.

Edited by Keith

Iscandar in this series seems to be the Yamato equivilent of the Protoculture. So likely, Desslar hasn't directly attacked out of respect, political backlash, or fear.

Caught up finally. Any chance that the Iscandrians

once might have cut themselves off from the Garmillians for not 'deeming them worthy' due to their warlike nature? Just a thought. The one thing I don't get in the context of this story is why if Iscandrians are almost identical to Terrans in appearance, Garmillians can be so "racist" to those who do not share their blue skin?

I was also a bit surprised at the scene in the cafeteria were Akira, Yurisha and Melda were having a parfait and talking about boys. A bit strange in the middle of the war going on. Anyway, that was one hell of a cliffhanger. I made sure not to watch the preview so the next 3 months will be one hell of a wait

Just finished ep 22. Melda is hilarious.

The next set cant come soon enough!

Caught up finally. Any chance that the Iscandrians

once might have cut themselves off from the Garmillians for not 'deeming them worthy' due to their warlike nature? Just a thought. The one thing I don't get in the context of this story is why if Iscandrians are almost identical to Terrans in appearance, Garmillians can be so "racist" to those who do not share their blue skin?

I was also a bit surprised at the scene in the cafeteria were Akira, Yurisha and Melda were having a parfait and talking about boys. A bit strange in the middle of the war going on. Anyway, that was one hell of a cliffhanger. I made sure not to watch the preview so the next 3 months will be one hell of a wait

I was debating with myself not to watch the preview but...I did and, yeah,the wait is painful now. :(

The Yuki captured bit makes me wonder if the Yamato II showdown between Kodai and Desslar will happen on Gamilas in the next couple episodes. It might make for a good "turnabout" for Desslar. The last 4 episodes make it harder to see the change in him that originally happened in Yamato II.

The PV doesn't reveal that much, except the obvious outcome of that "cliffhanger".

My take on the relationship between Garmillas and Iscandar, and Desler's plan :

From what has been hinted at in past episodes, at some point Iscandar may have helped their neighbours to evolve to a space fairing civilization. Unfortunately, they ended up using their new found power for war.

Thus Yurisha's displeasure at the Terons using the Wave Motion Technology for weapons, like the WMG. She fears the Terons will follow the same path of war and conquest that Garmillas did. This leads to the reason why they gave the WME plans to Earth intead of the Cosmo Reverser and the test Okita mentions. If we fail the test and use it for evil, all that Iscandar has to do is let Earth die out. This seems to be Okita's understanding of the situation.

From Desler's comment on episode 19 and the original series backstory, Garmillas is now a dying planet, possibly from resource exploitation to expand their empire. The acid seas (if they are that, at least they look yellow-ish) may be a result of rampant polution. The decay of Garmillas has lead Desler to initiate the Barelas relocation plan (spoken of since episode 12) with New Barelas being built for that effect. The most obvious choice for the relocation is Iscandar. Why?

Due to their past role in the evolution of Garmillas, Iscandar has been lifted by the people to an almost sacred status, Iscandarians regarded almost as god-like entities, adored by the masses, as evidenced in the latter episodes. To occupy Iscandar, Desler would face almost certain backlash from his people, possibly too big for even Gimleh's police to control. He might see his power base crumble. So... why Iscandar? First, because it's close but also, by taking over the home of the gods, Desler expects to be worshiped like one too, at last. So how does he further his plan?

Capture the Iscandarian which was conveniently discovered to be aboard the Yamato and use her as a propaganda tool. This is why Desler doesn't really care when he finds out that Yurisha is actually Yuki. For him it doesn't matter. As long as the people believe she is Yurisha Iscandar, princess of the House of Iscandar, and that she supports his plan, that's all he needs. He can now relocate to Iscandar with the people's support. Once there, he can contain Starsha and maintain the lie that the "gods of Iscandar" favor him.

Of course there's that small matter of a certain barbarian ship invading the Salezar system which might screw his plans... :D

The Yuki captured bit makes me wonder if the Yamato II showdown between Kodai and Desslar will happen on Gamilas in the next couple episodes. It might make for a good "turnabout" for Desslar. The last 4 episodes make it harder to see the change in him that originally happened in Yamato II.

Desler and Yuki appear to be

aboard the Deusler II from where they fire the "Desler Cannon" at the Yamato, in the end of episode 22.

From the episode 23 to 26 synopsis:

Okita orders the Yamato to fly toward Garmillas to evade enemy fire, thinking Desler and Gimleh won't fire if they risk hiting their own planet...i'm guessing they will...

The battle seems to be contained to episode 23 as episode 24 has the Yamato already on Iscandar. And it seems Goer will come into play in episode 25...

Edited by westfall

box from amiami arrived today and included the Gamillas Set#2 and the Kato Cosmo Falcon.

there was also a Yukikaze molded in clear, glittery, red plastic. parts breakdown was simpler - just the 2 halves of the hull, fins, and antennae.

it wasn't inside any of the kit boxes and instead came in its own bag with an instruction sheet inside.

did anybody else get this? i wasn't aware of such a kit nor mekakore freebie. and i most certainly didn't order it.

Huh...haven't heard of that one either. Got my Garmilla fleet set 2 a few weeks ago and it wasn't with that. My Kato Cosmo Falcon is in my HLJ private warehouse atm, waiting for the Gelvates battle carrier to be released first.

Chris